Customer Avoid Paying Invoice

I have a customer who has been avoiding paying an invoice (not a huge amount, about 17 000 thb) I sent him several months back. He has all kinds of excuses not to pay.

I have sent him several reminder of payments, but I have never (regretfully) charged any interest, which I should have done.

Now I have gotten kinda fed up with his BS, what can I do?

My plan is to send him a reminder of payment and add 500 thb as a late payment fee to begin with. And then do that every second week with another 500 thb.

This will maybe motivate him to pay as he will realize that the longer he waits, the invoice will grow more and more expensive.

Or should I contact the police? I guess they would not care as the invoice is not huge enough.

Edited by forumuser10

If he has decided not to pay for whatever reason, then adding to it will make no difference whatsoever. It might make you feel better but will have little or probably no impact on him. I would go see him face to face, sort it out, smile a lot and see how you can help him overcome this problem then he wont lose face and you are the good guy. If that doesnt work and you cannot at least get something there and then, you may have to resort to other tactics, which whilst reluctant to do so, the situation will leave you no choice, and explain that to him.

Oh, and if you do go to see him, make sure he doesnt know you are going, or he probably will have a sick relative very quickly and cancel the appointment and hide.

Edited by CharlieH

take the police when you go see him,you might have to pay a little tea money to them,but its worth it. he will be given an chose pay or jail.

had to use that way 5 times over a couple of years,most every body paid up,only one went to jail,but he had to pay in the long run.

but I was owed more than 17000.

For that amount you either have recourse to a small claims court or equivalent, or you write it off.

You may consider visiting him, but unless he pays on the spot, promises will end in nothing.

He has probably decided not to pay knowing that you have little recourse.

Review your invoicing procedures. For jobs of that amount strictly C.O.D. (if standard goods) or payment in advance for special orders I would advise.

If he has decided not to pay for whatever reason, then adding to it will make no difference whatsoever. It might make you feel better but will have little or probably no impact on him. I would go see him face to face, sort it out, smile a lot and see how you can help him overcome this problem then he wont lose face and you are the good guy. If that doesnt work and you cannot at least get something there and then, you may have to resort to other tactics, which whilst reluctant to do so, the situation will leave you no choice, and explain that to him.

Oh, and if you do go to see him, make sure he doesnt know you are going, or he probably will have a sick relative very quickly and cancel the appointment and hide.

Yeah, meeting him face to face would probably be a good thing, although it might seem a little awkward, as it is another person, a female, in the company who has handled the contact with this customer so far.

He says he is waiting for a specific customer to make a new order, when this customer has done that, he will be able to pay the invoice. The invoice i sent him, is somewhat related to his customer, so his argument is quite valid, but still...

I'm guessing you're a foreigner, but what about the customer? If he's another foreigner then threaten to go to the police and immigration. If he's Thai, then forget about ever seeing your money!

Yes, I am a foreigner, and he is Thai.

I have heard this comment before, but is it really true? Just because I am not Thai, I cannot be expected to be paid?

Seems to me a like a rumor, only.

For that amount you either have recourse to a small claims court or equivalent, or you write it off.

You may consider visiting him, but unless he pays on the spot, promises will end in nothing.

He ha

I would agree adding a late fee probably won't work as the individual probably has no plan to pay regardless what he/she may be saying. Probably time to take legal/tougher action.

Review your invoicing procedures. For jobs of that amount strictly C.O.D. (if standard goods) or payment in advance for special orders I would advise.

I know from my own experience, that a late payment fee, usually motivates me to pay my bills sooner, rather than later.

I'm guessing you're a foreigner, but what about the customer? If he's another foreigner then threaten to go to the police and immigration. If he's Thai, then forget about ever seeing your money!

Yes, I am a foreigner, and he is Thai.

I have heard this comment before, but is it really true? Just because I am not Thai, I cannot be expected to be paid?

Seems to me a like a rumor, only.

Not a rumor.