How Long Did It Take You To Adjust To The Weather?

NomadicDave

Also from California, count me as another data point for never. In Thailand I lived in air conditioning for years. I also lived without any air conditioning at all for years. I never acclimated. The so-called cool months like December are a myth to me because the temperature still often tops 90 degrees which is hot no matter how many days I experience it. I tried all the remedies and nothing helped. Living in air conditioning was the better of the two. Not only more comfortable but it seals out bugs, noise, and pollution which are problematic in Thailand.

Then I found a place where California weather exists in Thailand. I wouldn't have believed it had someone told me second hand. I moved there and have been happy with the pleasant weather ever since. I even needed to buy a light jacket for cool days when it gets down to breezy, 60 degree temps just like California.

Another myth to be aware of is cool weather is in the north. The north is hot and sees its share of 100+ degree weather. The key to finding cool weather is very high altitudes. I found an equation that typically every 220 meters of altitude decreases temperature 1° celsius.

OK, I'm from Orange County. Where is OC weather in TH???

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Never. The weather here is awful. The only people that seem to like the weather here are usually from god forsaken places where frozen water falls from the sky. Since you're from California the weather will be worse than home 365 days a year.

Ditto for me. After 7 years in Thailand I threw in the towel--so to speak--and returned to California.

Never. The weather here is awful. The only people that seem to like the weather here are usually from god forsaken places where frozen water falls from the sky. Since you're from California the weather will be worse than home 365 days a year.

Ditto for me. After 7 years in Thailand I threw in the towel--so to speak--and returned to California.

Please point me to the Californiavisa.com website then or is this just a subject that you felt like 'getting in a parting shot' about Bangkok cause you can no longer live here due to the weather. As the old saying goes, the grass may be greener on the other side of desert.

Edited by bkkjames

As I alluded to earlier, look for a high enough mountain.The mountain I am is also known as little Switzerland due to the cool weather. A lot of days like the California coast and we get the fog too.

Coming from Northern Europe I'm glad to leave the cold behind and I never moan about it being too hot here. No Aircon in our house, just contra-rotating wall fans that provide enough fresh air. I think if people go down the Aircon route too easily it just makes them more uncomfortable the minute they are out of it. One of our neighbours comes from Belgium and he's got the Aircon on 24/7. He rarely goes out and when I go inside his house it's like being in a fridge. You can't adjust to a hot climate if you live like that.

This makes a lot sense to me. 80 degrees (?C) is fine with me if there's enough circulation.

As I alluded to earlier, look for a high enough mountain.The mountain I am is also known as little Switzerland due to the cool weather. A lot of days like the California coast and we get the fog too.

This sounds super. I was just in San Francisco and the fog is one of those special things about that city. I would, howver get tired of it on a daily basis. Whereabouts is "Little Switzerland"?

My guess is that he is talking about Khao Kho in Phetchabun. I suppose he could be talking about Phu Kradueng or Phu Ruea in the Loei area just a little further north. The roads through there heading north to Nan are really remote and beautiful. Not sure what it would be like to live there but it was lovely during the winter.

• Like 1

Don't get reliant on air-con and you will adapt a lot faster! I have always had air-con while living here and use it when needed, but most months of the year I am comfortable with fans.

The offices where I work have air-con running all day, the computer room 24/7/365. When we have visitors come over (a lot from America) and it is neccessary to go out on site, they suffer something awful. I put it down to them being slaves of air-con; their sweat probably contributed to the floods last year.

Khao Kho in Phetchabun has the nickname little Switzerland. Phu Ruea in Loei is similar, maybe better. And there are many other lesser known mountains all over Thailand. I read somewhere Loei has the coolest weather on average in Thailand though again you need to be high up, not just anywhere in the province to get ideal weather. While the weather and scenery is dramatic, most people would be bored to death in such mountains with little to do and limited places to go nearby.

Not sure how long it took, but a couple of years ago, in December I started wearing my pullovers I fetched out from the UK, Like Semper I use the A/C for a few weeks per year. My wife uses it more than I'm inclined to.

Never if you are the complaining type, Thai people are just as bothered by the weather but keep it to themselves.

Correct, as there is nothing one can do about it so no point in complaining. Just accept/endure it. It's still better than a cold climate. smile.png

Never if you are the complaining type, Thai people are just as bothered by the weather but keep it to themselves.

Correct, as there is nothing one can do about it so no point in complaining. Just accept/endure it. It's still better than a cold climate. smile.png

Except, its not quite true... I've often been greeted by Thais with 'rohn maak maak'!

But I agree - too hot is better than too cold and grey.

Except, its not quite true... I've often been greeted by Thais with 'rohn maak maak'!

But I agree - too hot is better than too cold and grey.

Yes you're right, but they are not complaining, it's just a way of starting a conversation. During December and January they change the "rohn" to nau. smile.png

Edited by Semper

I'm from Canada and have been here exactly one year. I'll adapt any day now, I'm almost sure of it. post-130091-0-34314000-1345711297_thumb.

I'm from Canada and have been here exactly one year. I'll adapt any day now, I'm almost sure of it. post-130091-0-34314000-1345711297_thumb.

Did you use jumper cables for your car (picture) ?

Edited by Semper

Did you use jumper cables for your car (picture) ?

Semper. Tut, tut! In Canada called "booster cables" whistling.gif

Car in picture was not plugged in. Because it was not cold enough to stop ice forming.

Good to know, if I ever visit Canada.

Weather here is fine. But depends on where you are. AND whre your from

Less humid in costal area with the nice trade winds

Bangkok is not my choice of place to be, but not because of the weather

Chiiang Mai and up north has cool winter evenings, Pai even colder

Thailand is about the same as where I can from so no adjusting.

But last month my trip to Doi internon it was single diggets up there, very cold and long pants and coat

Thinking of it, most morning when I talke my daughter to school I wear a coat because it's chilly

a little bitching can't do no harm tongue.png i have lived/worked more than half of my life in tropical/subtropical countries. 35 years ago i did not mind wearing a longsleeved shirt and a tie in 40+ºC heat. today i feel uncomfortable at 29ºC.

the weather in Thailand is, except for a few days a year, 9 months ugly and 3 months very ugly. but by far not as ugly as the ~50% income tax in my home country laugh.png

• Like 2