Health Care Directives - Living Wills

chiangrai57020

After last weeks US Supreme Court ruling regarding Oregon's Death With Dignity Act, I 'got to thinking (Oops!)'!

Anyone know if the Thai hospital's recognize or will accept a 'Health Care Directive' - 'Living Will'?

I tried the Thai Red Cross site sometime ago - BUT - everything there is in Thai! Sent an e-mail to the Bangkok 'Bum.... ' hospital sometime ago with no reply!

Why this question? I am approaching 70 years of age, have no idea how much longer I will live, and I sure as 'heck' do not want to end up a 'veg' in some Thai hospital that just want to 'Milk my pockets dry'!

After last weeks US Supreme Court ruling regarding Oregon's Death With Dignity Act, I 'got to thinking (Oops!)'!

Anyone know if the Thai hospital's recognize or will accept a 'Health Care Directive' - 'Living Will'?

I tried the Thai Red Cross site sometime ago - BUT - everything there is in Thai! Sent an e-mail to the Bangkok 'Bum.... ' hospital sometime ago with no reply!

Why this question? I am approaching 70 years of age, have no idea how much longer I will live, and I sure as 'heck' do not want to end up a 'veg' in some Thai hospital that just want to 'Milk my pockets dry'!

I have not seen Health Care Directives in Thailand, and I do not see how they really fit in with the Buddhist principles. This has been considered by Buddhist doctors in USA. What I do know from personal experience is that you will not be kept on life support very long if you have no funds.

I have not seen Health Care Directives in Thailand, and I do not see how they really fit in with the Buddhist principles. This has been considered by Buddhist doctors in USA. What I do know from personal experience is that you will not be kept on life support very long if you have no funds.

Ah! Good answer - NO FUNDS!! Never considered that.

Thanks

:D I wondered about this too. I have an SOS bracelet that indicates that I do not want to be resucitated etc. this is fine in the UK and probably all other english speaking countries, however, in Thailand they probably wouldn't know what it was. Am considering a small discreet DNR tatoo on my sternum :o

• 4 weeks later...
:D I wondered about this too. I have an SOS bracelet that indicates that I do not want to be resucitated etc. this is fine in the UK and probably all other english speaking countries, however, in Thailand they probably wouldn't know what it was. Am considering a small discreet DNR tatoo on my sternum :o

Be careful next time you go into the Ram with athlete's foot!! :D

Edited by sleepyjohn

I dont know if this is any help but my wife & I were at one of the hospital in bangkok as my wife"s mother was dieing of cancer and was on life support and the doctor asked my wife if she wanted them to resuscitate her if her heart stopped and she told them no as there was no chance of survival and they did not.