New Police Box - S. End Of Jomtien Beach Road

lovetotravel

Just drove this stretch and noticed the BiB stopping traffic. And lo and behold, there's a brand new cop box there. Two cops, one working each side of the road. This was at 1PM. Guess they are a bit low on money and need to top up a bit?

Just a word of caution.

My friend fell victem to them on Friday right down at the end of the beach. he had been done 1hour before in Pattaya, so the cop let him off with a personell donation.

ironically he travels the world as officer on cruise ships, has done for 24 years so been to more holiday destinations than most could name, he said he has never seen anything like the vidulance of the licence checks Pattaya/Jontiem has right now.

I was stopped a few weeks back as was every farang on a motorbike - this is the Jet Ski scam under another name - its a bloody disgace. They must be making a fortune. I have been passed several times on my Bicycle (which they ignore) and they have a constant stream of people having to hand over money.

They grilled me about my Internional Driving Licence. The GF never lets these dicks off. She gave them both barrels and told them she was going to record them on her iPad and upload it on You tube. This was enough for them to back off and leave me alone.

Its crooks like these that should be locked up. Not innocent people who have all the documents but have to give up 400 Baht just to get them back from their grubby mits.

I avoid this stretch totally now on the Motorbike.

Always carry a valid licence, insurance and copy of book. Have bike taxed and dont do drink or drugs, wear your hat and whats the problem. Drive ilegally and you will get fined...

I dunno, perhaps the inconvenience of being stopped a half-dozen times a day for doing nothing.

Always carry a valid licence, insurance and copy of book. Have bike taxed and dont do drink or drugs, wear your hat and whats the problem. Drive ilegally and you will get fined...

I maybe did not make myself clear, Both of us wearing helmets, bike papers, driving licence, going at about 10 km as we were about to go over a speed bump and did nothing wrong.

The b*stards just wanted money to give me my licence back.

I saw the same thing with other non law breaking individuals. I fully agree, in a fair and just society, break the law - pay a fine BUT extorsion from a copper - no F*cking way.

Edited by lonewolf99

not always the case, if they say you were in outside lane when you were not they will fine you 200 for in th epocket fine or if you protest 400 and have to police station if you require a receipt. There word against yours, legal or not.

Best approach is to turn round and find an alternate route or just don't stop, they are too lazy to follow you most of the time, especially if the sun is out.

Bad advice...... if they do decide to pursue, you may end up getting shot at!!

Best approach is to turn round and find an alternate route or just don't stop, they are too lazy to follow you most of the time, especially if the sun is out.

Rubbish, if they do follow you ( highly unlikely ) you will get the same fine, don't be a drama queen.

Rubbish, if they do follow you ( highly unlikely ) you will get the same fine, don't be a drama queen.

Rubbish eh? A few random snippets just from this forum...... Police do give chase regularly, especially if they see you do a U turn before the checkpoint, if you choose to be the one to do a runner, it may well be you that is involved in a drama!!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/570477-pattaya-police-arrest-two-men-who-fail-to-stop-at-south-pattaya-police-checkpoint/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/556315-pattaya-police-chase-two-17-year-old-boys-after-they-fail-to-stop-at-checkpoint/page__hl__%2Bpolice+%2Bchase

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/536967-shots-fired-at-police-as-drug-dealing-suspects-run-from-pattaya-police-checkpoint/page__hl__%2Bpolice+%2Bchase

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/495397-car-chase-around-the-streets-of-pattaya-leads-to-drug-arrest/page__hl__%2Bpolice+%2Bchase

Rubbish eh? A few random snippets just from this forum...... Police do give chase regularly, especially if they see you do a U turn before the checkpoint, if you choose to be the one to do a runner, it may well be you that is involved in a drama!!

http://www.thaivisa....ice-checkpoint/

http://www.thaivisa...._+police +chase

Still rubbish, if you take these few incidents as a % against amount of people stopped it is highly unlikely they will follow you.

All these stories have more to them than just traffic violations as well, not routine.

Also, police shot no one in these stories, so yes, drama queen.

Still rubbish, if you take these few incidents as a % against amount of people stopped it is highly unlikely they will follow you.

All these stories have more to them than just traffic violations as well, not routine.

Yes the ones i have quoted are a small percentage - like i said "A few random snippets just from this forum", however, if you listen to local radio or watch the Thai news and add up ALL the reports on a daily basis - that percentage rises significantly.

If police see someone trying to avoid a checkpoint the last thing they will be considering is a dodgy licence or no insurance, they will be thinking drugs or guns and act accordingly.

So your advice to turn around and flee, or drive right through police checkpoints, is not only not very clever but downright dangerous!! but hey, "up to you" as they say here, just hope others are not foolish enough to listen to you. I hope your luck holds out.

Yes the ones i have quoted are a small percentage - like i said "A few random snippets just from this forum", however, if you listen to local radio or watch the Thai news and add up ALL the reports on a daily basis - that percentage rises significantly.

If police see someone trying to avoid a checkpoint the last thing they will be considering is a dodgy licence or no insurance, they will be thinking drugs or guns and act accordingly.

So your advice to turn around and flee, or drive right through police checkpoints, is not only not very clever but downright dangerous!! but hey, "up to you" as they say here, just hope others are not foolish enough to listen to you. I hope your luck holds out.

I have seen over the years farangs and thais get within 50-100 meters of a check point and turn around, i have never, repeat never seen the BIB go after anyone.

Like you say " up to me".

• 1 month later...

This same small police box about 2/3rd the way down Beach Road towards Na Jomtien (not beach side) is at it again. I have been pulled in 3 times in 2 days? In previous years this box wasn't manned even in the daytime? They seem to be targeting ALL farangs and not Thais even when they are not wearing their helmuts. I was hoping they would start to recognize me and wave me though but we must all look the same to them and I am an ugly bugger! whistling.gif They were reasonable and just checked my license but it is getting to be a nuisance. I like driving this section of Beach Road for the breeze and views and don't want to drive the back roads or the Sukhumvit slaughterhouse!

I was stopped a few weeks back as was every farang on a motorbike - this is the Jet Ski scam under another name - its a bloody disgace. They must be making a fortune. I have been passed several times on my Bicycle (which they ignore) and they have a constant stream of people having to hand over money.

They grilled me about my Internional Driving Licence. The GF never lets these dicks off. She gave them both barrels and told them she was going to record them on her iPad and upload it on You tube. This was enough for them to back off and leave me alone.

Its crooks like these that should be locked up. Not innocent people who have all the documents but have to give up 400 Baht just to get them back from their grubby mits.

I avoid this stretch totally now on the Motorbike.

Then also avoid 2nd Road in Pattaya near Mike's Shoppingmall..........a force of 25 coppers are annoying bypassers for the last few days.

Yeah, I noticed the police box a couple weeks ago, and both of them already had customers, so I got through. It might be some kind of demotion for them, so they thought, "lets make the best of!"

I havent seen the police chase anyone, but I have seen them write down the license number, whether or not they did anything about it, who knows, but I sure wouldnt take a chance on doing a run, on the advice of another farang.

Laughing at the guy who said that when police see someone turn around they are thinking gun, drugs etc. No they are thinking there goes my 400 baht!!

They nearly never give chase and they are not going to start shooting at farangs on bikes who drive past a check point. Jesus.

They usually setup where its hard to turn around, they are robbing b&stards if you can get out of it do it!

• Like 1

There are allot less tourists renting the jet skis so the police are filling their pockets by harassing tourists on motorbikes.

Shouldn't the Thais be grateful we come here on holiday and drop allot of cash into the local economy?

This is terrible advice, and can put somebody in danger especially night time, and the very least cost much more money than just a fine for not having helmet, papers. Following your advice can get somebody arrested easily

This is terrible advice, and can put somebody in danger especially night time, and the very least cost much more money than just a fine for not having helmet, papers. Following your advice can get somebody arrested easily

Watch what the locals do, when in Rome.......

As mentioned, 99% chance they are too lazy to follow and certainly will not shoot!

But hey-ho, up to you!

It does not stop there either, after you got a ticket, then go to Soi9, all the fines are plainly on the wall in English, illegal turn, my crime, B400 he wanted B600, I told him I only had B500 on me, and would need to go to the ATM,

Can't argue with them I said its only B400, and he told me to sit back down, in the end he accepted B500. I sent a complaint to City Hall just for the hell of it.

As someone said they are as bad as the jet-ski, just not so much Baht