My Experience With Thai Police Last Night , And I Have Few Questions

flyx

Why is it so many people complain about things in Thailand not being like back home? Why not just go back home if you want to live like in a place like back home. Some people won't be happy until Thailand becomes the same as the places most of us left to get away from ... including radically raising the cost of living and taxes here in order to pay for all the first world things they want this developing nation to have like a highly paid, trained police force with lifetime benefits that would largely prevent a cop from taking couple hundred baht instead of hauling your behind to a police station.

Well said Nisa, I for one have tried to integrate with the Thais and have never been hassled by these 'corrupt' cops. What most of these moaners don't realise is to the Thais they are not regarded as superior white westerners to be looked up at and revered but are looked down on the same as the Burmese, Lao, and Cambodian invaders (what do you think Farang means?). The only difference is the westerners walk around flaunting 'loads a money' and this sets them up as targets by the cops who maybe make the same in a year as farang make in a month.

Here we go again, if you don't think everything in LOS is perfect go back to your own country.

Read my post No 50. I said I like it here in Thailand, much prefer to being in the UK, but there are something's that are very bad in this country,one of them being the RTP.Yes I know it's my own fault for thinking like this,I should never have taken off my rose tinted sunglasses.

I suppose if I did return to live in the UK, with my Thai wife and children and join a forum there about life in the UK, maybe one day I might post that it's nicer to live here, for example because Thai's tend to always be smiling, as opposed to everybody having miserable faces as in the UK, then Mr uksysardman

And Mr uknisa would then surely tell me to get back to Thailand.I cannot win,what to do with

Myself.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be many FARANG posters saying that the Thai police are on a par with the British police

And some even suggest that they are better. Yet when I speak with my THAI friends, they ALL say they

Dispise and hate the Thai police. I have also spoken with Thais who have lived for a considerable length of time in the UK, again all of them have only praise for the British police, so why is it that some Farangs on TV

Have opposite experiences and thoughts ?.

Well you were nit picking with my post - who are these Thai people you are quoting and what experiences are we talking about. I live amongst the Thais, have taken the trouble to read and speak some Thai and have made many Thai friends and they (including me) are never troubled by all these 'corrupt' cops.

The Thai people I was referring to,range from manual labourers,hotel workers,factory workers,

Bank employees,office workers,managers up to very hi-so Thais,to mention but a few.

I do not only live AMONGST Thais,I'm also married to a Thai,with whom I have children,speak a bit of Thai,this will never improve because my wife does all the talking for me.

Hope this answers your ?.

Why is it so many people complain about things in Thailand not being like back home? Why not just go back home if you want to live like in a place like back home. Some people won't be happy until Thailand becomes the same as the places most of us left to get away from ... including radically raising the cost of living and taxes here in order to pay for all the first world things they want this developing nation to have like a highly paid, trained police force with lifetime benefits that would largely prevent a cop from taking couple hundred baht instead of hauling your behind to a police station.

Well said Nisa, I for one have tried to integrate with the Thais and have never been hassled by these 'corrupt' cops. What most of these moaners don't realise is to the Thais they are not regarded as superior white westerners to be looked up at and revered but are looked down on the same as the Burmese, Lao, and Cambodian invaders (what do you think Farang means?). The only difference is the westerners walk around flaunting 'loads a money' and this sets them up as targets by the cops who maybe make the same in a year as farang make in a month.

Here we go again, if you don't think everything in LOS is perfect go back to your own country.

Read my post No 50. I said I like it here in Thailand, much prefer to being in the UK, but there are something's that are very bad in this country,one of them being the RTP.Yes I know it's my own fault for thinking like this,I should never have taken off my rose tinted sunglasses.

I suppose if I did return to live in the UK, with my Thai wife and children and join a forum there about life in the UK, maybe one day I might post that it's nicer to live here, for example because Thai's tend to always be smiling, as opposed to everybody having miserable faces as in the UK, then Mr uksysardman

And Mr uknisa would then surely tell me to get back to Thailand.I cannot win,what to do with

Myself.

Hi Nontabury - I am not a bad guy really and I didn't make the comment to go home. I too love Thailand and just get upset when people make sweeping statements about corruption. I must have done something like 100 border runs and never been searched (sorry 1 search) or had drugs planted on me. I've done the Mae Sai, Mae Sot, Ranong, and two places in Cambodia that I forget the names now. So plenty of diversity and opportunity for the BiB. I mentioned 1 search and that was during one of my Ranong runs, the guy did ask me to empty my pocket which I obliged and that was it - no drugs planted.

You mentioned Charles Menez and call it a blunder, I'm of the opinion that it was racial profiling - do you think if he had white skin he would have been shot? you may say a mistake which means you didn't want to be down the subway that day if you had dark skin and a backpack.

As for your list of never heard ofs, at the time I didn't want to answer because the dog was burning and I didn't fancy pork againbah.gif (bad joke). But seriously just before I came out from the UK some coppers were discovered stealing drugs from evidence and selling them, some time ago there was a famous case of a brothel madam catering for MPs and senior policemen (bribes involved). Well so on and so on and no I haven't just been Googling - this is stuff from memory but I could go on and find examples to all your other comments.

Anyway I feel if you try to integrate, stop making all this fuss and stop this 'them and us' mentality you will have a great life here but if you act like the arrogant farang with the 'I got more money than you' attitude you are setting yourself up as a target.

Edited by sysardman

I've never been stopped on foot but have been checked many times on long distance buses and as a passenger in pickups. The police have always been professional and generally friendly, more often then not they pass over me and don't even look at my passport (looking for regional illegals I suppose?). The last time my passport was checked was by a clearly uncomfortable officer who seemed to be trying to look productive while the others inspected the pickup. He did look at my passport and eventually asked my girlfriend how to pronounce my name before putting a plastic chair in the shade for me to sit on. Police in the US strike me as more capable and professional but never as friendly. Having said that, I'm sure one bad experience would change my view rather quickly. I think a great deal has to do with how one comports oneself and ones appearance. I would hope that many of the westerners I see around Bangkok would be regarded as suspicious characters anywhere in the world.

Unfortunately, Thailand is not the only place where personal rights are sometimes infringed by police. Consider NYPD's stop and frisk policy...

• Like 1

Myself.

Well first of all, I didn't say what you seem to want to pretend I said. With that said, nothing to do with rose colored glassed but more to do with the constant whining because you want things to be like back home even though overall things are obviously better for you here. Stop the whining and focusing on the negative as there is considerably more to enjoy and we should enjoy it while we can because it won't be long until things do get more like the west.

To be clear I have no idea what you have posted on this thread and my previous comments where not directed towards you (unless they apply) but the point was that if the police were the same here as in the UK then Thailand would be a considerably different country from what we can do and get away with to the entire culture ... and you'd certainly would move back to the UK because the smiling faces equation would become moot.

Personally I prefer helping a 7,000 baht a month Bangkok cop with a 200 baht donation as opposed to back home where a same infraction would cost me hundreds of dollars, considerably more time and be part of my record.

Back home there is a huge number of people in prisons and jails who say they are innocent and were framed but at least here we know there are not so many liars and people who claim they are innocent here really are, right? (sarcasm)

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

I was pulled over when riding a motorcycle taxi 6 months ago. Two Officers pulled over on their mortor cycle right in front of my Thai/American attorney's office.

They wanted to search my backback, and I told them no. I made a call to my attorney and proceeded to tell him to come out of his

office and deal with these two policemen. Yes I had my passport.

My attorney came out instantly, , within 1 minute the police were gone.

I was lucky for sure that I had been pulled over right in front of my attorney's office, or else I would have been put thru the ususal

test. In my case, I was carrying some money, which was for my attorney.

Just to make sure you get answer to your question, No Thailand is not a democratic country.

The latest government is democratically elected with about 75% of the electorate having cast their vote on Sunday, 3 July 2011.

If you ask whether Thailand is a place where the rule of law is important that's a different issue.

Worldwide it is commonly accepted that no inducement is allowed in Democratic Elections.

Just to make sure you get answer to your question, No Thailand is not a democratic country.

The latest government is democratically elected with about 75% of the electorate having cast their vote on Sunday, 3 July 2011.

If you ask whether Thailand is a place where the rule of law is important that's a different issue.

Worldwide it is commonly accepted that no inducement is allowed in Democratic Elections.

What are you referring to?

Edited by Morakot

This country is only a few octaves higher than Myanmar or Cambodia as far as police and military go, they will tell you we have Thai democracy , this is not to be confused with democracy.coffee1.gif

What key are they in?

Sorry for the late reply, I was with the band , E Flat.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

I've never been stopped on foot but have been checked many times on long distance buses and as a passenger in pickups. The police have always been professional and generally friendly, more often then not they pass over me and don't even look at my passport (looking for regional illegals I suppose?). The last time my passport was checked was by a clearly uncomfortable officer who seemed to be trying to look productive while the others inspected the pickup. He did look at my passport and eventually asked my girlfriend how to pronounce my name before putting a plastic chair in the shade for me to sit on. Police in the US strike me as more capable and professional but never as friendly. Having said that, I'm sure one bad experience would change my view rather quickly. I think a great deal has to do with how one comports oneself and ones appearance. I would hope that many of the westerners I see around Bangkok would be regarded as suspicious characters anywhere in the world.

Unfortunately, Thailand is not the only place where personal rights are sometimes infringed by police. Consider NYPD's stop and frisk policy...

Western Australia police minister wants search permission anyplace anytime, police will stop and search you and car anytime at a booze bus road block, only difference it's all recorded on camera.

However, they are not allowed to place their hands inside your pockets. They should ask you to empty your pockets and then they can pat you down to check there is nothing remaining in your pockets.

I doubt that there is any legal specification on this mode (that would not allow this). This seems purely an operational policy guided by social/cultural principles, discretion, or what not.

I have a number of friends in the RTP - It is them who tell me that its a violation of procedure if the Police wish to place their hands in our pockets. Not only to prevent them from planting any evidence, but also to protect the officer (we could have needles, blades etc in our pockets).

If we don't trust the Policeman who wants to search us we are well within our rights to request a search at a nearby station (which I suspect may become a little more invasive than we like !).

That said - articulating the law to a Policeman may be met with a distasteful response. Its simply easier to let them get on with searching us and getting on our way.

I've no issue with being searched, but I won't let a Policeman place his hands in my pockets. I also have a friend who was searched recently, he said the officer was very polite, showed him his empty hands, asked my friend to empty his pockets and then patted him down. Then the Policeman thanked my friend and said 'have a good day'... the Policeman spoke English. I don't imagine any decent member of society taking offence if a search is carried out in this manner.

I take offence to a search if the only reason is to try to find drugs and then extort money.

He was just searching for your wallet because you obviously didn't get it out quick enough (or at all). If you didn't have your passport or at least a copy you were fair game to him. Next time I suggest having a few readies readyermm.gif

Is a "copy" of your passport enough?

He was just searching for your wallet because you obviously didn't get it out quick enough (or at all). If you didn't have your passport or at least a copy you were fair game to him. Next time I suggest having a few readies readyermm.gif

I personally always carry my passport because I always like to now where it is (don't have the luxury of a safe) but I've read many times on this forum that the police will accept a copy.

By the way I do keep it in a zipped pocket at the front so making it very difficult for a pickpocket.

Rule of law here? There is no rule of law here. It's also Democracy by blaming others and sueing as many agencies, and people as each party can. Having said that, I have onjly been stopped one timeby police at a police check. I had everything in order on the bike, plus a helmet. The only thing he ask is do I have a license. I showing and he waved me on.

Many posters seem to have more difficulties with the police than I've experienced in more than 15 years here. Maybe hanging out in the wrong places at the wrong time that gives them the itch, even though your innocent and just trying to have fun inthe LOS.

Edited by Lifer
  • Like 1

its a bit late for such incredible foresight...

and dreary 'if u dont like getting lied to & extorted go home' crap

In all my years in Thailand I have never had a confirmed report about police planting drugs during a stop/search, in all the TV programs and books about the subject where people have done time for drugs, I can't think of one that said they were stitched up by the police. I've been reading Thaivisa and other forums for years and never seen a thread by anyone claiming it.

Never heard Stickman say it either, he warns you to be careful with what you have on your possession, blue pills are sometimes frowned on, especially at Eckami

In all my years in Thailand I have never had a confirmed report about police planting drugs during a stop/search, in all the TV programs and books about the subject where people have done time for drugs, I can't think of one that said they were stitched up by the police. I've been reading Thaivisa and other forums for years and never seen a thread by anyone claiming it.

Never heard Stickman say it either, he warns you to be careful with what you have on your possession, blue pills are sometimes frowned on, especially at Eckami

I agree and if we all stop to reflect on the OP he was stopped, searched, failed to produce valid ID (criminal offence) but was waved on his way with a smile - I say praise goes to that policeman

You are not in the west, they will be reasonable regardless of the law. I have never heard of anyone being taken away for not having their passport with them. With that said, I believe the law is something to the affect of needing to be able to show your passport in a reasonable time. So if you live in BKK and can run home in 10-minutes to get your passport, that would be reasonable. On the other hand if you live in BKK and are in Phucket without your passport this probably would be considered reasonable. I very much doubt "legally" a copy means much of anything since it is not an official document or ID but again, I have found police here to be very reasonable and not obsessed with the letter of the law. You are not going to get hauled off for not having your passport even if are involved in a minor offense as they don't care where the few hundred baht come from and if you are involved in a serious offense then a passport is not a get out of jail free card.

You must be joking considering how many folks here state this is as common knowledge. I mean come on, with all the real criminals, doesn't it make more sense for the police to conspire to set up innocent people? wink.png

Random searches and hands in pockets - bingo - payoff time. coffee1.gif Rights? cheesy.gif As for carrying a passport and handing that to police - see first comment result. NEVER hand over your passport - only a copy - let them keep that. I have been on that end before being asked to provide it whilst a taxi I was in was stopped. Seeing my bags - I was heading to the airport, police immediately requested my passport - stupidly - I handed it over. 4,000 Baht later - after heavy negotiation - I just made my flight. I could hear them laughing as I left. LOS - that is because they are always laughing at the ease of a shakedown against a farang. That was 12 years ago - I have had a lot of laughs against them since - score is still about even.

Back home there is a huge number of people in prisons and jails who say they are innocent and were framed but at least here we know there are not so many liars and people who claim they are innocent here really are, right? (sarcasm)

Back in the UK the police attempted to frame me several times.

They never succeeded though.

Although to be fair, I have intimidated a couple that unwisely approached me without backup.

The Thai police have never been anything except pleasant to me, in the area where I live, white people (just me) get waved on as none of them speak English. As for checking my passport, I'm not even sure they know I need a passport (or VISA) to be in Thailand.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

Although to be fair, I have intimidated a couple that unwisely approached me without backup.

The Thai police have never been anything except pleasant to me, in the area where I live, white people (just me) get waved on as none of them speak English. As for checking my passport, I'm not even sure they know I need a passport (or VISA) to be in Thailand.

Agree there - if you dive in the shark tank there 's a good chance of getting bit. If you stay 'invisible' life's not so bad.

In the UK, BiB can try to ''frame'' folk cos they KNOW what you have been up too but can't find the vital evidence in court for a conviction. Your statement really shows you are/were a naughty boy and got away with it. Perhaps thats why you are in LOS. Of course l/we do not know, but many naughty folk leave their homeland for fear of stuff catching up with them. I know a couple. biggrin.png .

Very easy for a small bag of powder to slipped in and then taken out during such searches. You in trouben now, go monkey hout long time.

As Thaksin said, there's nothing under the sun that the RTP can't do.

That includes torture and murder of thousands of people btw.

That's the very same barstool paranoia that suggests a Westerner is always in the wrong in a car accident etc...

Does anyone know anyone (first hand) who has been stitched up by the Police planting something at a search ????

Happened to me about 2 years ago at the Ratchada-Praram 9 intersection. It was 5 am and they were randomly controlling cars (no roadblock or anything). They shined the flashlight in the car and asked me to get out of the passenger seat. They had me empty my pockets (asked politely) and were joking around. A policeman then slipped his hand in my pockets and produced a straw which was cut off. I was informed that it contained drug residues and that I was in trouble (2 of his colleagues were there to testify of the finding). I was escorted to the little police booth on the side of the road and the game was on. Complained (a lot), but they did not really care. After about 90 minutes, I gave up and was forced to contribute to the police fund. The "donation" started at THB 50K, which I brought down to THB 15K. They were nice enough to show me where the nearest ATM was and were very thankful once the matter was settled and I was allowed to depart.

It is in your right to (politely) decline having a policeman put his hands in your pockets (pulling the inside of the pockets out is fine). It also helps to have a good lawyer on speed dial to prevent them from bending the rules. If it seems fishy, just place the call and hand him the phone...

Seems like you were very lucky. Carrying drug paraphernalia on your person would normally result in arrest.

as Henry Chinaski said when asked "do you hate the cops" he replied "no, but I feel better when they're not around"

Who's Henry Chinaski and I bet he wasn't being mugged at the time.laugh.png

character in Barfly, played by Mickey Rourke

in 2002 when I was living in suk soi 22 and walking down the street in the early evening down towards Rama 4 a guy sitting on a bike grabbed me by the arm and said police, stop. As I wrenched my arm away I saw he had a gun strapped to his side but wasnt wearing any police insignia that I could see, so this kiwi sped up a bit then legged it down an alley before that slow dude could get started and get around a couple of parked cars to chase me. My passport at the time was either at The Wall bar in silom or on its way to/from Malaysia, so I wasnt giving that **** any chance to extort me