Defining Irony

theslime

Another Thai hater.......didn't take long.

I don't see the connection. Someone asked what the Thai connection was although I don't see why there needs to be one. Then overherebc added something with Thai in it to explain. You can substitute your nationality for Thai if it helps?

Ironic that you didn't see it or am I being sarcastic?

he said, ironically not noticing that Necron had simultaneously liked the original post whilst posting a tongue in cheek jibe about killing three poor Thai diabetics......

• Like 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another one to think about, Socrates.

RULE # 1: Every rule has its exception.

If this is the case, then RULE # 1 has no exception. Therefore RULE # 1 has no alternative but to contradict itself.

The exception is itself.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

...and the Thai connection?????

If a Thai diabetic was on his way to buy Insulin and was knocked down and killed by a truck, that would be an accident.

If a Thai diabetic was on his way to buy Insulin and was knocked down and killed by a truck carrying sugar, that would be strangely prophetic.

If a Thai diabetic was on his way to by Insulin and was knocked down and killed by a truck carrying Insulin, that would be Ironic.

Your asnswer explains why I choose to spend my time in the company of thais rather than ex-pats.

Ok I'll explain my answer,

The previous poster asked "where is the Thai connection so I used the term Thai Diabetic.

If he had asked Where is the American connection I would have used the expression An American diabetic.

Stop taking yourself so seriously.

Yes it did appear to be a joke. Don't think anything offensive was meant by it.

If this is the case, then RULE # 1 has no exception. Therefore RULE # 1 has no alternative but to contradict itself.

The exception is itself.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

for which there is no exception

Giving the peace prize to Kim Jong-un, would that be ironic or an oxymoron?

A transgression from irony to sarcasm often happens via an oxymoron and tends to end the dissimulation of meaning.

I think my head is about to explode.

funny (the stop sign that is)

Edited by tinfoilhat

Rule # 1 is a rule, therefore has an exception by its own definition.

• Like 1

...and the Thai connection?????

If a Thai diabetic was on his way to buy Insulin and was knocked down and killed by a truck, that would be an accident.

If a Thai diabetic was on his way to buy Insulin and was knocked down and killed by a truck carrying sugar, that would be strangely prophetic.

If a Thai diabetic was on his way to by Insulin and was knocked down and killed by a truck carrying Insulin, that would be Ironic.

not sure where you get hate out of this, it is an attempt to make the topic thai-related by putting thai in front of the word diabetic.

As for irony, SC is the only one who has got it right.

I'm unsure as to where people form the UK get the impression that americans don't do irony. Is it similar to the american belief that brits don't do dentistry?

Edited by tinfoilhat

What ironic sayings would be heard specificly in Thailand?

"He berated a ladyboy on the way to the hospital for his breast implants"

Heard in a go-go: You better get back to work or your numbers up

i've always found this very funny

sar·chasm ('sär-"ka-z&m) : The giant gulf (chasm) between what is said and the person who doesn't get it.

and this is a fairly apt description of the distinction (if any) between sarcasm and irony

Sarcasm vs Irony

Sarcasm and Irony have a very close relationship with one another. Both tend to be used to make a poignant or entertaining statement. Often times, people say something is ironic when it is actually sarcastic and vice versa because the two concepts have become so intertwined, whereas, in actuality, sarcasm is a concept that utilizes irony. In many instances, sarcasm is a remark seasoned with irony. You can think of irony as a vessel to express many things in a sarcastic way. For example, if a girl takes an especially long time to get ready as her date patiently waits for her, when she finally emerges, her date might remark with a deadpan tone "Well, you certainly don't take long to get ready." In the circumstance, again, irony is utilized to express the opposite of the actual situation to mock the extended length of time it took for the girl to actually get ready. Irony is employed, but the humor that is achieved though its use is sarcasm. In addition, sarcasm is always considered a form of wit, whereas irony can be found in any type of situation, be is funny or quite serious. Irony takes on many forms (generally tragic and situational irony) that are very saddening and in no way considered mockery. In this sense Irony is a bit more varied and far-reaching in its scope than sarcasm.

Edited by tinfoilhat

So you are saying that Rule # 1 has an exception. Is that claim beyond exception?

Edited by Radar501

Farangs complaining about the rights that immigrants get in their home countries, whilst whining about the lack of rights they have in Thailand.

Is that irony or just plain old whinging ?

God ,are there expats here complaining that the Thai govt dont give free medical care,free housing ,money to live on every week ,pensiones and dont hand out brochures in 50 different languages ,plus free legal aid ? like immegrants do in Britain, bastards let me at em/

So you are saying that Rule # 1 has an exception. Is that claim beyond exception?

Sorry, you got me there! I watch paint dry and hang about with welders as a job. Thought I was doing good with as far as I got......wink.png

thank most of you all for making me laugh. Is it Ironic in Thailand that my friend from op Who once had a sucessful Pheasant Farm got a visit from samui thugs and told to pack up and go, Meaning it happened because he was sucessful .

The problem with Irony is that its existance lies in the recognition that an irony has occurred, which in itself requires a sometimes complex comparrison of events and/or use of language often beyond simple minds. Hence the oft made observation that American's just don't do Irony.

Irony is Americans who believe someone with a brit accent is smart. And then there's the oft 'bad British teeth' observation. Hence ... do we even understand each other?

Edited by rijb

The problem with Irony is that its existance lies in the recognition that an irony has occurred, which in itself requires a sometimes complex comparrison of events and/or use of language often beyond simple minds. Hence the oft made observation that American's just don't do Irony.

Irony is Americans who believe someone with a brit accent is smart. And then there's the oft 'bad British teeth' observation. Hence ... do we even understand each other?

That isn't irony. That is just believing stereotypes.

A recent ironic event which happened to me.

Mates have been planning a long boys only weekend in celebration of a mate coming from Singapore. We haven't seen this mate in years.

Turned out I couldn't make the weekend as I'd be away for work that weekend....ironically, in Singapore.

Just believing in stereotypes? Gotcha! smile.png

“Incidentally, forgive a detour here, but if there is one misapprehension about Americans that annoys me more than any other, it is the lofty claim, usually made by the most dim-witted and wit-free Britons, that America is an – ho-ho – “irony free zone”. Let it be established here, this day, that no one, on pain of being designated fifty types of watery <deleted>, ever dare repeat that feeble, ignorant, self-satisfied canard ever ever again. Americans are no more irony illiterate than Britons or anyone else and the repeated assertion (and it is no more than an assertion not a demonstrable provable fact) is no more than a pathetic symbol of a certain kind of Briton’s flabby need to convince themselves of their sophisticated superiority over the average American. Now, don’t feel bad about the fact that you, dear listener/reader have, at some point in the past been guilty of repeating and transmitting this feeble myth, we all have. It’s lazy, easy and gives us a warm glow. My war on the lie begins now, and is not retrospective, so you need not feel ashamed. Only promise never to repeat it. Actually, even if you think it’s true, have the grace to recognise that such a clunking, tedious, oft-repeated cliché is so dull and well-worn that it almost doesn’t matter whether it’s true or not, it’s just plain tedious and only bar-stool bores and dull-witted gibbons would ever think it worth trotting out. Besides, it is ugly, graceless and rude.”

Stephen Fry

Edited by rijb
  • Like 2

Just believing in stereotypes? Gotcha! smile.png

“Incidentally, forgive a detour here, but if there is one misapprehension about Americans that annoys me more than any other, it is the lofty claim, usually made by the most dim-witted and wit-free Britons, that America is an – ho-ho – “irony free zone”. Let it be established here, this day, that no one, on pain of being designated fifty types of watery <deleted>, ever dare repeat that feeble, ignorant, self-satisfied canard ever ever again. Americans are no more irony illiterate than Britons or anyone else and the repeated assertion (and it is no more than an assertion not a demonstrable provable fact) is no more than a pathetic symbol of a certain kind of Briton’s flabby need to convince themselves of their sophisticated superiority over the average American. Now, don’t feel bad about the fact that you, dear listener/reader have, at some point in the past been guilty of repeating and transmitting this feeble myth, we all have. It’s lazy, easy and gives us a warm glow. My war on the lie begins now, and is not retrospective, so you need not feel ashamed. Only promise never to repeat it. Actually, even if you think it’s true, have the grace to recognise that such a clunking, tedious, oft-repeated cliché is so dull and well-worn that it almost doesn’t matter whether it’s true or not, it’s just plain tedious and only bar-stool bores and dull-witted gibbons would ever think it worth trotting out. Besides, it is ugly, graceless and rude.”

Stephen Fry

I think what Mr Fry was getting at was that we should not repeat the stereotype that Americans do not understand irony because

a ) He believes it to be a false stereotype

b ) even if it were true, there is no need to repeat it as it is dull and graceless so to do.

I take it that you highlighted this little speech as an example of someone with a British accent who was intelligent, in order to reinforce the American stereotype of Brits as intelligent, and thus undermine your original point three posts above.

It would be ironic if Brits in fact had particularly good teeth, given the other stereotype that you quote.

SC

• Like 1