Phuket 2000-Phuket 2012

BKKBobby

Hi,

I was on holiday in Phuket year 2000, I wonder if its much the same now, or if it have changed since then. It was my best holiday ever. Im going to travel around the country and check out different destinations.

Edited by BKKBobby

In my home country, the capital where I live pretty much looks the same as 12 years ago. Only different stores, some have closed, some have opened and took their place, but the city looks and feels the same.

Edited by BKKBobby

In my home country, the capital where I live pretty much looks the same as 12 years ago. Only different stores, some have closed, some have opened and took their place, but the city looks and feels the same.

It depends on how much you remember from 12 yr ago i also went to Phuket 12 yr ago and have been there every year since and there has been massive changes in the popular parts not always for the best i might add but i still love it.

Had a holiday in Phuket in 1996 baby elephant in a restaurant in Bangla road

which you could buy bananas for and feed

Kata existed but not Karon the only Development was at the south end of

that stretch of beach

Came bad in 2006 and the whole island was completely different the same as

all developing areas anywhere

that stretch of beach

Huh? Karon Plaza and most of the buildings just up from the circle have been there since the early nineties, at least. As has the Arcadia and most of the hotels around the lagoon.

that stretch of beach

Huh? Karon Plaza and most of the buildings just up from the circle have been there since the early nineties, at least. As has the Arcadia and most of the hotels around the lagoon.

You may be right who cares, but there certainly was not much development 16 years ago from memory

You could probably name all the bars there as well

I started coming mid 1990's and recall the tall condos at Karon which is now the centara mixed in with the condos, along with the Arcadia, Karon Cafe and a fair number of built of shops etc. I also recall there not being very many cars and trucks on the road.

I'd have to say there's at least 10X more vehicles on the island now then in the mid to late 90's although the infrastructure sure has not kept up. I also recall most everyone being real friendly, as opposed to today where the locals that deal with tourists seem to have thrown out their upbringing and manners in search of the almighty baht.

On the positive side, almost any food or consumer item is now available where as years ago this wasn't the case. With progress comes change, some better, some worse.

• Like 2

You could probably name all the bars there as well

Yes, probably. Do you have a problem with people who go to bars? Seems like a recurring theme of yours.

When the fruit's been picked from Isaan before it ends up in the bar, then you can sit back and bag on bar-going people there KB.

That's probably becaause your home country has building regulations that are adhered to. You're in for a big shock comparing the Phuket of 2000, with how it looks today.

Yes, things have changed a lot. Where in the world hasn't there been change in the past twelve years?

Indeed, you won't find Tiger Disco anymore.

But it's been replaced by the Tiger Live Band Complex which opened yesterday just across the road from the old one.

Luckily, it was ready to go just days after the old one burnt down!

Yes, things have changed a lot. Where in the world hasn't there been change in the past twelve years?

Indeed, you won't find Tiger Disco anymore.

Or Shark Club Phuket. Ive googled it, and saw that it closed 10 years ago. It was the best nightclub ive ever been to, the boy to girl ratio was like 1-10. The majority was freelancers but it felt as a normal nightclub. I was 17 years old at the time, didnt even know they took payment or what a non streetwalking-freelancer is.

Edited by BKKBobby

I tend to agree with KB on most things but seems like I arrived after him as Patong did have a bakery in Soi Patong Resort, Soi Bangla was still a 2 way dirt road, there was a pretty crappy road to Karon but Sin & Lee was still the only place to buy imported food. We can all witness the ugly aspects of unfettered development but it has brought about many things which I use in my everyday life. With the promise of internet in Phuket there was a traffic jam with people going to the meeting at The Metropole. I did enjoy my party days in Patong when one could find many familiar faces in the bars & the friendliness was more natural than forced including the tuk tuk drivers

I was not sad when I moved to Kathu but even then I still thought Patong had a chance for a decent planned development but of course that was not to be. At around the same time Patong virtually fell into the hands of a single family. We had a contract to do some interior renovation but on the day we started some guy turned up demanding 50,000 for us to work as we were not part of the favoured construction company. The owner paid up & we finished the job.

I still meet genuinely friendly Thais on the island & the only real frustration I have is driving in the rush hour traffic which seems to be getting longer all the time. These days they do not even have enough red plates for the new cars.

• Like 1

I must have arrived after KB and Valentine. Bangla was a paved road and the Karon to Patong road much the same as today. Patong Deli was the place for home style groceries. I agree that traffic is my biggest headache these days, although still not as bad as any big Western city.

The good thing is, is that if you want to see Phuket as it was 30 years ago, just drive off the island 40 kilometres in any direction and there it is.

Except West.

Probably best not to drive 40km West...

How can you drive west of Phuket,except in a boat??

Edited by petercallen

The good thing is, is that if you want to see Phuket as it was 30 years ago, just drive off the island 40 kilometres in any direction and there it is.

Except West.

Probably best not to drive 40km West...

How can you drive west of Phuket,except in a boat??

I think that may have been his point. It's called tongue-in-cheek humour.

Not everyone understands it.