Lawnmower In Global House...........and Experiences

I was in my local Global House and they had a display on electric lawnmowers from 3500bts, the power rating is 1000wts. As my lawn is only about 5m square this looked interesting, the make was DAYE whom I have never heard of, has anybody had any experiences with these or sensible comments to make I would very much appreciate them, thanks.

A small piece like that ,1000 watts should be OK. Just watch out for poor quality from unknown (Chinese) brands. I've also been told that Black and Decker have a habit of changing their models frequently which makes it difficult or impossible to get them fixed.

My own experience of outdoor electrical items like that is they over-heat and keep stopping every 20 minutes. Bought a petrol version and never had any problems. Although with an area that small it would probably be done within that time.

Edited by CharlieH

I'm not an electrician but I guess it would be much safer if the wiring for the house had a properly designed & installed earth wire.

Perhaps some qualified electricians could comment on this point.

Also, if there is no earth installed, can a stand alone machine have it's own 'facility' to shut down / isolate the machine totally from electricity in certain situations?

As mentioned, I'm not an electrician, just a thought.

Edited by scorecard

I'm not an electrician but I guess it would be much safer if the wiring for the house had a properly designed & installed earth wire.

Perhaps some qualified electricians could comment on this point.

Also, if there is no earth installed, can a stand alone machine have it's own 'facility' to shut down / isolate the machine totally from electricity in certain situations?

As mentioned, I'm not an electrician, just a thought.

What you need is an RCD, often called a Safe-T-Cut (actually a local brand of RCD). This should trip if you cut the cable or drop the mower in the pond. They do NOT need an earth wire installed in order to function.

• Like 1

I have a DAYE, ran pretty well for while, even if gutless. Then it passed out and I had the electrical motor rewound. Since then still running, some might be bothered about the wheels that keep on falling off and having to screw them in again or all the holes all over the plastic body, but not me, I love cheap, poorly executed Chinese copy technology. If only sell only Chinese crap Global sold Victors...but alas an embrace with qulaity was not to be.

A small electric lawn mower to consider is the "Made in the UK" Bosch models widely available in Thailand. Even Makita has electric mowers in a sensible price range. My wife was glad to see us "retire' the Talon brand electric lawn mower and she is very happy to use the Bosch mower. That Bosch mower we bought this year is really made in the UK, not just "designed" in the UK.

A small electric lawn mower to consider is the "Made in the UK" Bosch models widely available in Thailand. Even Makita has electric mowers in a sensible price range. My wife was glad to see us "retire' the Talon brand electric lawn mower and she is very happy to use the Bosch mower. That Bosch mower we bought this year is really made in the UK, not just "designed" in the UK.

I have an area in the back of the house measuring about 20mx4m for our old doggies to play. There's also a room built for them there. This lawnmower seems ideal. May I know where to buy it? Thanks.

I have an area in the back of the house measuring about 20mx4m for our old doggies to play. There's also a room built for them there. This lawnmower seems ideal. May I know where to buy it? Thanks.

I would like to know where these models are to be seen as well, thanks.

The Bosch Electric lawn mower model Rotak 34, that is made in Sheffield, UK I have seen at all the major chain big box chain building supply stores around Buriram. I have also seen the Makita electric lawn mowers at several of the big box chain building supply stores in our province. However we paid less money and it was delivered free and the delivery staff showed my wife and niece how to properly run the new Bosch lawn mower, when we bought this mower from a family run discount merchant called " Ruang Sang Thai " in Buriram, located directly across the street from the main 3 story office of the PEA Provincial Electricity Authority. This large shop is next door to the 2nd location of a great furniture store called I.C.E. furniture. This locally owned Buriram supplier of power tools, water pumps, water tanks, installation and service of water tanks and water filter systems, is an authorized repair station for Bosch and Makita power tools. They have a so so web site done in Thai only with some prices visible at

http://www.ruangsangthai.com 044-666-484 While the power tool shop owner speaks and understands English, only about three of his store staff have reasonable English language skills. For me the service, both before and after the sale, and the discount pricing, always lower than the supposed sales of the chain stores, make this a better place for me to shop. But I am of the opinion that every Thailand province has similar well run, discount power tool shops without the overhead of a mall rental location, without the overhead of air conditioning and without the white gloved parking lot attendants. The right family owned shop can be of real benefit to Farang since they can contact the owner directly on the owners mobile phone for service issues. Global House is a good chain retailer, and I know they were good about the refund of a lame "house brand" kitchen appliance we bought at the large Korat store.

• Like 1

I have a Black & Decker electric mower 30cm cut,grass catcher,adjustable wheels,ground fault plug.

been using it for about 4 years,no problem. the only thing is its not to good for tall grass,if you keep the grass cut,about every 2 weeks,it works fine..

oh yea,forgot it has a handle switch "on the handle" if you let go of the handle switch the mower stops.then you have to push in the safety button to pull

the handle switch back to start the mower

Edited by happynthailand

If only 5 meters would just go with a string trimmer as suggested. They are much easier to handle/store and keep the electric cord from becoming mulch. 30 years ago did have electric mower as only front of a 80 square wah area but when that became about 20 square meters remaining changed to trimmer and now down to tiled so not required.

My next door neighbour uses a strimmer, I thought he was just wanting to save money, maybe I should ask if I can try it out.

we also bought a b&d strimmer didnt last long motor burnt out.like i posted earlier i dont have much confidence in electrical goods,just waiting for an independant repairer to have a look at an item that cost us 6,650bht.just 2yr.old i think motors gone,but like the store staff will tell you they dont last long.sad.png

Had another look at this DAYE product today, its not weel built IMHO more suited to a kids room and with only a 30 day G/tee does sound like they have much confidence in the product to me, with suck a small area a srimmer might be the answer, Global only do petrol models and the ones I saw in BIG C black and decker, 2 models,well the boxes underneath had all sown lots of wear and tear so how are you suppossed to know what is in the right box? Certainly not what I would call a brand new purchase! Anyone know who else might stock electric strimmers?

Had another look at this DAYE product today, its not weel built IMHO more suited to a kids room and with only a 30 day G/tee does sound like they have much confidence in the product to me, with suck a small area a srimmer might be the answer, Global only do petrol models and the ones I saw in BIG C black and decker, 2 models,well the boxes underneath had all sown lots of wear and tear so how are you suppossed to know what is in the right box? Certainly not what I would call a brand new purchase! Anyone know who else might stock electric strimmers?

Home pro/Home mart do - I have a cheap B&D from one of them and works fine. If I had a large area or was considering spending over 6,000 baht like meatboy then I would have gone petrol - no worries about cutting the cord, more freedom as do not need to be near a plug socket, usually have steel blades so more versatile but also much heavier and more dangerous to use.