Applying For Us Social Security

Galong

Would someone please let me know the procedure for applying for US Social Security?

I assume I can get the money deposited in a Thai bank. Is this the case?

Any tips would be appreciated as well.

Much thanks in advance...

You can open an account with Bangkok Bank , you can then do a direct deposit into thier branch in New York the funds are usually available within a day or two here in Thailand .

True, but you can't get an ATM card on the account and have to appear, in person with your passport, every month to draw the cash. You make the arrangements at the main office of Bangkok Bank but you can open the deposit account at any branch. When you want to draw the money, you must go to the branch where you open the account; you can't draw from any other branch.

They have chaged the policy and you can now withdraw your funds at any branch of Bangkok Bank, I do it all of the time. But, the account must be in your name only, no ATM, No internet access and you must appear in person to withdraw the money. You cannot have a proxy withdraw the money without a medical certificate. I know since I recently had a hip transplant and even though I filled out the proxy slip on the back of the withdrawal form they would not let my wife have the money without a doctor's certificate.

I did not go to Bangkok to open the account, I opened it through the local branch who communicated with Bangkok to get it right. The numbers to talk to someone in Bangkok to discuss the details are 02-230-1323 or 230-2168.

Bangkok Bank is the only bank in Thailand authorized to accept direct social security deposits. They are deposited in New York on the 3rd of the month (usually the day before if it falls on a weekend) and the funds are available for withdrawal usually by the afternoon. Set up an SMS service and you will receive a message when the funds have been accredited to your account in baht. The conversion is done manually so there is a que but you'll get the best exchange rate. $5.00 will be deducted on deposit in NY and another 200 baht will be deducted when the conversion is done. I've used it for years and am satisfied with the service.

I have another BKK Bank account with ATM and internet and just withdraw the money and deposit it in the other account but you have to go.

All communications with the SSA should be done through there office in Manila who are responsible for this area

• Like 1

I'll be applying next year.

I haven't lived in the US for ten years, but maintain a mailing address (with a mailbox service) and all my accounts (bank, cc, etc) are there. I would prefer that the SS payments go into my US bank account.

Would I still have to go through the Manila office?

I haven't lived in the US for ten years, but maintain a mailing address (with a mailbox service) and all my accounts (bank, cc, etc) are there. I would prefer that the SS payments go into my US bank account.

Yes you must use Manila office because you live in Thailand. My payments are made to US bank also.

It was a simple process, unless changed, I started with email to Manila three months prior to birthday I became eligible. A few simple questions and information passed via emails and then phone interview scheduled on certain date/time when they call you. They also inform you the date your bank will receive first payment during phone interview.

• Like 1

Well, I just read something potentially problematic. On http://bangkok.usemb...-and-taxes.html it says:

"If you are residing outside of the United States for more than 6 months, you should update your address with the Social Security Administration. Your benefits will be suspended if your address is not updated."

I've lived here for almost twenty years and didn't know I was supposed to report to them... yikes! It doesn't even say might be suspended... double yikes!

However, as it says RESIDES and I'm not a resident here, perhaps I'm worrying unneccessarily.

I've tried several times today to log into the Social Security account that I recently created when I was in the States earlier this month. I can't get logged in. It keeps timing out. I even tried on my other computer (notebook) that I used in the US to create the account. I hope this is a temporary server problem and not the case that I can't access this info in Thailand... which would seem ridiculous.

When I made my account I'm not sure if I put my official residence address in the US or my Thai address.

When I called the SS folks they told me how much I'd be getting and didn't mention anything about a problem with me not updating my address. I did tell him that I've lived in Thailand for close to 20 years.

Geez, this is a bit scary.

Edited by Galong

I applied for SocSec some years back when I was on vacation in Oregon, had all the required papers with me so no problem with that. Forget what address I used during the process, but probably Thanyaburi.

In any case, I do get the occasional snail mail from them including a now annual form to fill out and return mainly asking if anything has changed since I filed. Reckon it's hidden purpose is also to see if I'm still alive and it's not someone else collecting my $$$.

Note, some years back a notice went out to some SocSec recipients here in Thailand (not me, I'd not filed as yet then) saying that they were required to present themselves at the Consulate to verify that they were indeed still alive. Haven't heard that this has been repeated, but I'd kind of expect so if you were still receiving $$$ at age 120!

Mac

I applied for SocSec some years back when I was on vacation in Oregon, had all the required papers with me so no problem with that. Forget what address I used during the process, but probably Thanyaburi.

In any case, I do get the occasional snail mail from them including a now annual form to fill out and return mainly asking if anything has changed since I filed. Reckon it's hidden purpose is also to see if I'm still alive and it's not someone else collecting my $$$.

Note, some years back a notice went out to some SocSec recipients here in Thailand (not me, I'd not filed as yet then) saying that they were required to present themselves at the Consulate to verify that they were indeed still alive. Haven't heard that this has been repeated, but I'd kind of expect so if you were still receiving $$$ at age 120!

Mac

Ah, so you didn't report a change of address within 6 months of moving to Thailand either, correct?

I'm probably worrying for no reason. It would be nice to be able to get into the account that I made while in the US recently.

I see that the US Citizens Services will be in Phuket again on Sept 21st and in their list of things offered they say "Social Security, VA or other federal benefits questions"

Thanks for the info, Mac...

All the best

Well, I just read something potentially problematic. On http://bangkok.usemb...-and-taxes.html it says:

"If you are residing outside of the United States for more than 6 months, you should update your address with the Social Security Administration. Your benefits will be suspended if your address is not updated."

I've lived here for almost twenty years and didn't know I was supposed to report to them... yikes! It doesn't even say might be suspended... double yikes!

However, as it says RESIDES and I'm not a resident here, perhaps I'm worrying unneccessarily.

I've tried several times today to log into the Social Security account that I recently created when I was in the States earlier this month. I can't get logged in. It keeps timing out. I even tried on my other computer (notebook) that I used in the US to create the account. I hope this is a temporary server problem and not the case that I can't access this info in Thailand... which would seem ridiculous.

When I made my account I'm not sure if I put my official residence address in the US or my Thai address.

When I called the SS folks they told me how much I'd be getting and didn't mention anything about a problem with me not updating my address. I did tell him that I've lived in Thailand for close to 20 years.

My guess is that they are talking about after you start receiving SS - not before.

My guess is that they are talking about after you start receiving SS - not before.

After re-reading this and a few other sites, I do believe you are correct.

I wish they would word things a little more carefully. Some of us (me) aren't overly bright when it comes to things like reading government sites. :-)

Thanks for your input, buddy.

After you start receiving social security, you will get a form every year that you must update and return to them. If you don't, they say that your benefits will be suspended.

Much thanks, Wayned... I sure did screw up on my reading of this stuff... geez. I'll just relax now.

Regarding access to SSA by internet, I have had the same problem, both here in Bangkok, and in Nong Khai when we lived there. I started using a VPN (OpenVPN), which costs about $10/month, and I can access SSA without problems. I did my application online that way, spoke to Manila, and await my first direct deposit to the US.

Having to go to your local branch to get money out, while a little inconvenient, is a piece of cake compared to what you have to do in Cambodia: you have to appear at the US Embassy EVERY month in order to keep getting paid, regardless where your money is deposited. Hard luck for those living anywhere in Cambodia outside of Phnom Penh...

Regarding access to SSA by internet, I have had the same problem, both here in Bangkok, and in Nong Khai when we lived there. I started using a VPN (OpenVPN), which costs about $10/month, and I can access SSA without problems.

Darn, I was hoping that wasn't the case, but I'm not at all surprised that it is.

I've been looking into doing that anyway. Maybe this is the impetus I need to get started.

Thanks for your help.

What I did was apply online using my ex-wife address in the US and then when it was approved and the money was going into my US bank, I wrote Social Security and told them I am now living overseas, a month later I started getting my money on the third day of the month instead of the third week.

After you start receiving social security, you will get a form every year that you must update and return to them. If you don't, they say that your benefits will be suspended.

Speaking of that, has anyone changed their address with the SS office in Manila (what form to use) ? If Manila does not have your correct address you would not get the form. Not that the mail works in Thailand but it's the thought that counts eh? PS I am not asking about doing it in the US but in Manila (by email or phone).

Edited by chiangmaikelly

What I did was apply online using my ex-wife address in the US and then when it was approved and the money was going into my US bank, I wrote Social Security and told them I am now living overseas, a month later I started getting my money on the third day of the month instead of the third week.

It seems like they could have a problem with that if you were living in Thailand at the time. That would be, to some degree, dependent on the SSA being linked in with the US Embassy I guess.

Which bank in Thailand are you using for this?

whistling.gif It is possible to do a direct deposit to a Thai bank.

HOWEVER, there is a catch 22 you should be aware of.

First, it will take some effort to arrange with your Thai bank here.

Personally I would reccomend Bangkok Bank for this....because Bangkok Bank has a branch in New York...and you can do a monthly direct deposit from Soicial Security through that branch.

But like i said such a direct deposit is not automatic and you will have to work with Bangkok Bank to get it established and actually working.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, because of the Social Security rules...even when you have your monthly Social Security direct deposit set up....there are some things you must do.

1. For security reasons Social Security will require that you personally must make withdrawals IN PERSON and WITH PHOTO IDENTIFICATION from your direct deposit Bangkok Bank account. This is to prevent un-authorised persons or relatives from withdrawing money from that account. It must be YOU making withdrawals in person.

2. That account, the one you make withdrawals from in person, can NOT have an ATM/debit card for withdrawals. Again this is for security reasons...so an unauthorised person or relative can not get ahold of your ATM/debit card for that account and use it to make wihtdrawals.

The Social Security will insist on these two restrictions on your Thai direct deposit account with any Thai bank. They will tell you that there are previous examples of people dieing in Thailand, but that their wife or next of kin in Thailand continued to collect the deceased person's pension after that person's death.

That's why you must make all withdrawals from your direct deposit account from yourThai bank branch in person and carrying photo I.D.

It is possible to have two Thai bank accounts....one for your direct deposit account where withdrawala are limited to you personally....and another "working" account you use for your living expenses. You can then have an ATM/debit card on that working account and can use that card to pay your bills.

But you cannot have an ATM/debit card on that direct deposit account.

If you can live with those two restrictions above....you can set up a direct deposit account in a Thai bank for your monthly Social Security deposits......but as i said before....it is a process and you need to arange it with your bank in Thailand.

Personally, I have my direct deposit sent to my U.S. bank account...and my U.S. bank then sends it to my Thai bank per a pre-arranged mounthly transfer request filed with my U.S. bank.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

If you are direct depositing your funds in a foreign bank I believe withholding a percentage greater than 0 will be a requirement. When depositing to banks in the US this is not a requirement and you can specify 0 withholding. I do not believe withholding is a requirement when depositing in the Bangkok Bank in NY as this is in the continental US.

I've got a DBS account in Singapore and they have a branch in NY. I've had money put in the NY account before and accessed in via my ATM card here. I assume they wouldn't go for that if they knew I lived in Thailand (and they would).

You tend to get a fairly bad exchange rate when transferring money from a US account to a Thai bank account. Is there any way to make this better?

I've got a few years still to figure all of this out. As with many things, policies change and thing often become easier.

Thanks

whistling.gif Some personal comments of the problems encountered with applying for and recieving Social Security while retired in Thailand.

1. The U.S. embessy in Bangkok is useless for Social Security questions. They will only tell you to go through Manila.

2. Manila is nearly useless also....they tend to ignore your emails.

3. Be VERY sure the Social security get your Thai mailing address correct.

Personal example....my correct Thai mailing address start with the numbers 7/74....note the / in there.

It took me nearly a year and a trip back to the U.S. to convince Social Security that my correct mailling address in Thailand was 7/74 (street) and not 774 (street).

4. Yes, I too, pay for a internet proxy service connection when I try to send emails to the Social Security web site. That web site,,,for whatever reason...is often blocked or unavailable from here in Southeast Asia. But it can be reached by using that U.S. based internet proxy service.

5. Getting your required annual tax income reports from (1099 forms) from the Social Security to the IRS has been a major problem for me.

Mainly, because the Social Security kept taking that / out of my Thai mailing address...and I never got my 1099-S forms to submit with my tax returns to the IRS.

That required ANOTHER trip back to the U.S. to correct.

Personally,I believe the airport security people, the TSA, is the most incompatent and stupid organization in the U.S. government.

But the Social Security is definately #2 on the incompatent list....and pushing the TSA hard for that #1 spot.

blink.png

whistling.gif Some personal comments of the problems encountered with applying for and recieving Social Security while retired in Thailand.

1. The U.S. embessy in Bangkok is useless for Social Security questions. They will only tell you to go through Manila.

2. Manila is nearly useless also....they tend to ignore your emails.

3. Be VERY sure the Social security get your Thai mailing address correct.

Personal example....my correct Thai mailing address start with the numbers 7/74....note the / in there.

It took me nearly a year and a trip back to the U.S. to convince Social Security that my correct mailling address in Thailand was 7/74 (street) and not 774 (street).

4. Yes, I too, pay for a internet proxy service connection when I try to send emails to the Social Security web site. That web site,,,for whatever reason...is often blocked or unavailable from here in Southeast Asia. But it can be reached by using that U.S. based internet proxy service.

5. Getting your required annual tax income reports from (1099 forms) from the Social Security to the IRS has been a major problem for me.

Mainly, because the Social Security kept taking that / out of my Thai mailing address...and I never got my 1099-S forms to submit with my tax returns to the IRS.

That required ANOTHER trip back to the U.S. to correct.

Personally,I believe the airport security people, the TSA, is the most incompatent and stupid organization in the U.S. government.

But the Social Security is definately #2 on the incompatent list....and pushing the TSA hard for that #1 spot.

blink.png

Having just returned from the US and having had the TSA rip the zipper open on my big expensive bag instead of simply snipping the lock, you won't get any argument with me over their competency/stupidity level. It a long story, but I wasn't able to be there to open it for them as my bags were delayed by a day. I now how those TSA approved locks... and I've been able to replace the zipper.

Wow, you've had some serious problems... crickey. I hope it's all good now.

When the time comes, it sounds like it might be worthwhile to slip over to Manila in person to make sure the / gets in the address as I've got that too.