New Kawi Z-800 Leaked From Thailand?

bbradsby

360-400lbs? What bike are you talking about? That might be a manufacturer's claimed dry weight for a middle-weight, but even a Gixxer 750 weighs about ~450lbs wet- a tiny R6 weighs about 420lbs.

I come from another era smile.png

900RR they were 420 wet stock & a lot lighter when we were done with them

But I always preferred my 600rr

It was well under 400 closer to 360

Even a 2007 600rr stock was 156kg

I see they gained though as 2013 is listed as 185kg wet

Its all good. Some folks like lighter some like heavier some dont care either way.

No, you don't- I've been riding sportbikes for over 20 years- I owned a 900RR in the mid-1990s.;)

I don't think the 600RR was under 415-420lbs wet for any model year- 156kg had to be a dry weight- MCN has the 2007 at 410lbs wet, which I think is a tad low- http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Honda/Honda-CBR600RR-2007-current-/

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, you don't- I've been riding sportbikes for over 20 years- I owned a 900RR in the mid-1990s.wink.png

I don't think the 600RR was under 415-420lbs wet for any model year- 156kg had to be a dry weight- MCN has the 2007 at 410lbs wet, which I think is a tad low- http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Honda/Honda-CBR600RR-2007-current-/

Sorry I was going off memory & then went & looked.

We had the same year then 95?

http://www.cbrextreme.com/specs/1995/CBR900RR/

And yes after thinking back I remembered we use to joke that stock the 900

was ridiculously close to the 600's weight if not a couple pounds better

This is what I saw for 2007 600RR & yes dry

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_cbr600rr%2007.htm

But yes like I said in my original post I am going to notice a 100 pounds &

that is all it was

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Well, yeah, you'll notice the weight, but we're talking 50lbs if you want to compare the Z800 to the current 650cc class that's basically in the same sub-400K price-range- that's not a huge difference, but another 40hp really puts it in another league performance-wise- on the track I'd rather lose the weight, but on the street I want the ponies.

Once a bike is off the side-stand, as long as it has a reasonably narrow wheelbase and even weight distribution, some extra pounds don't make all that much difference on the street- I don't disagree with your point, but I think that there's really too much emphasis put on 500lbs when it's not really that much weight if the bike is properly designed.

• Like 1

Well, yeah, you'll notice the weight, but we're talking 50lbs if you want to compare the Z800 to the current 650cc class that's basically in the same sub-400K price-range- that's not a huge difference, but another 40hp really puts it in another league performance-wise- on the track I'd rather lose the weight, but on the street I want the ponies.

Once a bike is off the side-stand, as long as it has a reasonably narrow wheelbase and even weight distribution, some extra pounds don't make all that much difference on the street- I don't disagree with your point, but I think that there's really too much emphasis put on 500lbs when it's not really that much weight if the bike is properly designed.

Yes for sure what you say is true

but again I just tend to compare to what I have always known

so it is just something I noticed.

As for actual riding I cannot say as I have not ridden something that heavy aggressively.

I am not sure how it would feel tipping that bike back & forth

quickly. Probably as you say but I have no reference to draw from

Edited by mania

I think it will be fine when it's up to speed. Reviews are positive and I'd take the 4 pot all day long over the er6 range, although I can imagine getting a bit of a sweat on trying to muscle it in and out of parking spaces in the mid-day heat.

I just prefer lighter bikes if given a choice. I remember riding a 4 stroke 250 MX bike for the first time after coming off 125cc 2 strokes. All the magazine reviews said I wouldn't feel the extra weight, low centre of gravity, great weight distribution etc. It still felt heavy to me, not as flickable and less fun. Some people love them - horses for courses I guess.

• Like 1

'Horses for courses', but 'apples and oranges' as well- weight differences in MX bikes aren't comparable to weight differences in street bikes- the riding styles are completely different- the physicality demanded to properly ride an MX bike is just not the same- 25lbs is apparent in the dirt way more than 50lbs is on the street.

We're also talking about a price-point- light generally equates to expensive.

I do agree with your point about power-to-weight- a high power ratio is way more usable on the street (in general) than flickability, especially for the guys who use their bikes as commuters and everyday transportation.

Sure, given a choice (at the same price) lighter weight is a viable option, but not always- I passed on the S1000RR because I thought it was too small and light to be ideal in most street riding scenarios (though certainly not all- it's a fantastic motorcycle)- I gave up some handling ability in exchange for rock-solid stability- in the street I think that's the better way to go (though I concede there are other valid opinions)- a super-light, powerful bike that's made with the track in mind is a weekend toy, but in the sense of using a motorcycle in a more practical scenario, I think some weight (not anything excessive like 600lbs+) is to your advantage, and it needs to be combined with decent power.

Fair enough, it comes back to personal preference. I also looked at litre bikes and decided to go the other direction and settled on a 600. I figured 100hp and circa 250kph was enough for me in Thailand and there were benefits of the smaller bike that I could benefit from every day, whereas I didn't feel I'd really use that extra power/speed too much.

I guess we'll see how popular the Z800 proves to be. I for one am hoping it does well and encourages more releases from the big 4.

• Like 1

Fair enough, it comes back to personal preference. I also looked at litre bikes and decided to go the other direction and settled on a 600. I figured 100hp and circa 250kph was enough for me in Thailand and there were benefits of the smaller bike that I could benefit from every day, whereas I didn't feel I'd really use that extra power/speed too much.

I guess we'll see how popular the Z800 proves to be. I for one am hoping it does well and encourages more releases from the big 4.

Yup

As always yes it is all about personal preference.

I personally like flick-ability & will take a better power to lower weight always.

Also I agree that depending on our ride & type of terrain "enough power" is subjective & depends on where we ride.

If I were riding 200kph plus on wide open roads of course I would not mind higher weight & it may even help

But I am not. Nor do I commute. I ride strictly for pleasure

I have a scooter & truck for the other things

As for popularity of the Z800 yes we will have to see how it sells.

I was a bit surprised that they have only sold 1 as CM Kawasaki is a big dealer

Maybe folks are setting up financing? But usually they speak of those as sold already.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Thats the point. Of course heavy bikes are still rideable but under the given circumstance here light bikes are in genreal the wise choice. For the same reason i decided to go for an R6 instead of an R1; well its still fast enough. And again for the same iam exchanging my ER6N with a Duke 390.

Thats the point. Of course heavy bikes are still rideable but under the given circumstance here light bikes are in genreal the wise choice. For the same reason i decided to go for an R6 instead of an R1; well its still fast enough. And again for the same iam exchanging my ER6N with a Duke 390.

I am very interested to see what the 390 turns out to be.

I have not been excited about a new release for a long time.

But this one has my attention

You're ignoring the price-point- how much is a new R6 or other 600cc sportbike from the Big-4 in LOS? Close to double the Z800? As I said, light is expensive, and most models here are ridiculously priced.

I'm not saying it's the best choice period- I'm saying it's the best choice for the money in LOS at the moment in the middleweight class.

I just think that dismissing it out-of-hand because it weighs ~500lbs is silly- it's not light compared to the latest sporting hardware (and that's not how it's being marketed), but it's certainly not heavy either- on the street, is often going to be the better bike than an R6 or similar bike depending on the situation.

Like mania, I don't ride my bike for anything other than fun- it's not for commuting or transportation- however, a lot of guys use their bikes differently. I commuted in Tokyo during rush hour on a GSXR-1100R for years, and it weighed close to 600lbs- it was no big deal, and I never felt like it was a burden, and it was a great weekend toy in the mountains- I think the Z800 will be similar.

Edited by RubberSideDown

We accept or dismiss things in life according to preferences, living conditions and tastes.

Nothing wrong with a heavy bike under some circumstances.

But not a heavy naked bike you mostly ride in a city especially in Thailand.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You're ignoring the price-point- how much is a new R6 or other 600cc sportbike from the Big-4 in LOS? Close to double the Z800? As I said, light is expensive, and most models here are ridiculously priced.

I'm not saying it's the best choice period- I'm saying it's the best choice for the money in LOS at the moment in the middleweight class.

I just think that dismissing it out-of-hand because it weighs ~500lbs is silly- it's not light compared to the latest sporting hardware (and that's not how it's being marketed), but it's certainly not heavy either- on the street, is often going to be the better bike than an R6 or similar bike depending on the situation.

Like mania, I don't ride my bike for anything other than fun- it's not for commuting or transportation- however, a lot of guys use their bikes differently. I commuted in Tokyo during rush hour on a GSXR-1100R for years, and it weighed close to 600lbs- it was no big deal, and I never felt like it was a burden, and it was a great weekend toy in the mountains- I think the Z800 will be similar.

I think $$ aside although yes it matters........ it will always be preference & type of riding

None I know of will buy a bike that does not fit their style of riding & passion for riding no matter if it is a good deal or not.

Instead they will look used or wait. Others will bite the bullet & just find a way to get the cash or financing to get what they really want.

Looking at your own recent purchase,

At close to a million baht your choices were many yet you chose the bike that works for you & the riding type you do,

In your own words you passed on the BMW1000 because you felt it was too small & too light to be ideal for your type of street riding.

Many would & do go the other way & claim exactly the opposite

It is all good & lucky we have even more choices these days than before.

I do think the price on the Z800 is very good for what you get. ( Thailand Comparatively )

I personally would never buy one but that does not diminish the fact it is a good deal price wise.

I hope that if it does not sell well it does not stop Kawasaki Thailand trying new models & range/sizes here

As that is the only way folks living here are going to get fair prices. Unless of course they restructure the crazy luxury tax

in Thailand

They really should as it only benefits the locals even more with more industry to service & more jobs to be had.

Also kills some black market & allows the govt to get a legal cut of above board action.

Will be interesting to see how this Z800 goes over this year. I would guess a good few Kawasaki 650 riders may trade up.

But we will see.

Edited by mania

Kittisak Racing in BK advertising a nice Akrapovic for the Z800

37,500 baht

Limited edition they say but 10% of bike price is kind of steep for a slip on

Then again Akrapovic tends to run high I guess & the same can be said for their other models for other brands

1006357_504229649665031_1651302977_n.jpg

Or carbon version 27,500 baht...Both are slip ons

993917_480534232034573_1780538851_n.jpg

Edited by mania

we were dreaming to see a 250 cc in Thailand 4 years ago, i remember and slamming guys claiming the arrival of new big bikes!

But after 250 cc, new models are flooding so maybe our expectations are high a bit now:)

• Like 2

If money were no object there are plenty of bikes I would choose before the Z800 (provided I could get one in LOS)- I was fortunate to be able to buy exactly the bike I wanted, but had I been in a different financial position (or had I listened to my wife;)), I could easily see myself going for the new Z, even though there would be other bikes I would prefer to own.

While I appreciate reading the comments on this thread, none of them show that 500lbs is 'heavy'- they only show that's it's heavier than the current track-oriented 600cc bikes and literbikes- for a streetbike, it's easily manageable in any road scenario, heavy stop-and-go traffic included, and it's plenty nimble enough or the tight stuff- the 'it's too heavy' line just doesn't fly with me, especially having commuted on bikes that were both lighter and heavier over the years.

I agree you should buy what you prefer- I have no intention of buying a Z800, but I think it's gotten kind of a bad rap based on a single characteristic that's been exaggerated out-of-proportion to the reality of actually dealing with the bike on an everyday basis.

500lbs, over 100p, and 375K is (in LOS) a very attractive package, especially with a full warranty and local support.

• Like 1

we were dreaming to see a 250 cc in Thailand 4 years ago, i remember and slamming guys claiming the arrival of new big bikes!

But after 250 cc, new models are flooding so maybe our expectations are high a bit now:)

Hahah yes true I guess.

First folks just are starving for some choices. Then we get some & want them

refined more to an exact choice :)

I don't hold out a lot of hope for what I like as I know it is not mainstream & probably

would not be a good seller for the company....although maybe I am wrong & it would be.

• Like 1

If money were no object there are plenty of bikes I would choose before the Z800 (provided I could get one in LOS)- I was fortunate to be able to buy exactly the bike I wanted, but had I been in a different financial position (or had I listened to my wife;)), I could easily see myself going for the new Z, even though there would be other bikes I would prefer to own.

While I appreciate reading the comments on this thread, none of them show that 500lbs is 'heavy'- they only show that's it's heavier than the current track-oriented 600cc bikes and literbikes- for a streetbike, it's easily manageable in any road scenario, heavy stop-and-go traffic included, and it's plenty nimble enough or the tight stuff- the 'it's too heavy' line just doesn't fly with me, especially having commuted on bikes that were both lighter and heavier over the years.

I agree you should buy what you prefer- I have no intention of buying a Z800, but I think it's gotten kind of a bad rap based on a single characteristic that's been exaggerated out-of-proportion to the reality of actually dealing with the bike on an everyday basis.

500lbs, over 100p, and 375K is (in LOS) a very attractive package, especially with a full warranty and local support.

i wonder if you are commuting with a bike here everyday.

light bikes are better for the city - please no discussions on this! - and from the beginning, i just say my words regarding my preferences in life, i am not trying to slam this bike. 230 kg is heavy for me in city traffic, maybe for some not but for me this way, very simple.

and i am just saying, a 230 kg naked is out of the philosophy of a naked bike where a triumph street triple is close to 180 kg and new yamaha z09 is close to 190 kg and ducati streefighter is 199 kg, all similar power. i am sure most of the naked bikes are much more thinner than z800.

kawasaki can do better than this - z1000 is less than 220 kg for example - for sure and this is why i am sad.

^

As I said earlier, I commuted everyday in Tokyo (where traffic isn't exactly light) for eight years through hot summers and cold winters (and a nasty rainy season, not to mention the occasional snowstorm or typhoon) on bikes weighing about 400lbs (small 250cc cruiser) to nearly 600lbs (GSXR-1100R), so I do have some idea of what it's like.wink.png

A 500lb bike is no big deal in traffic unless you can't flatfoot it at a stoplight.

You can't buy any of the other bikes on your list in LOS for 375K- obviously some compromises had to be made to achieve that price-point here- that's the reason- it was made to a cheaper spec with heavier components.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

Yup

As always yes it is all about personal preference.

I personally like flick-ability & will take a better power to lower weight always.

Also I agree that depending on our ride & type of terrain "enough power" is subjective & depends on where we ride.

If I were riding 200kph plus on wide open roads of course I would not mind higher weight & it may even help

But I am not. Nor do I commute. I ride strictly for pleasure

I have a scooter & truck for the other things

As for popularity of the Z800 yes we will have to see how it sells.

I was a bit surprised that they have only sold 1 as CM Kawasaki is a big dealer

Maybe folks are setting up financing? But usually they speak of those as sold already.

I know there are a lot of Thai riders with big bikes, but I would think the seat height and the weight of the new Kawa would put some Thai buyers off.

Isn't the Z1000 being upgraded for 2014? That may be why they're trying to reduce stock of the 2013 models. I've read reports that it's tough or impossible to find a 2013 at 550K right now, and the delaership won't order a new one- of course, this could be incorrect info- I don't know anything first-hand.;)

• 3 weeks later...

its on a closed course.

if you pass the lollipop of death they usually just pass you without having to go further if you do it good enough.

Not easy, you have to ride the rear brake and clutch doing the loop, and if you think your going to lay it over you have to speed up to keep it up.

I failed the first, passed the 2nd time on a Ninja 6R. Not happy with it the officer then sent me for a drive around the block.

On Z800, I'm happy to see Kawasaki introducing it and the price is good. But it's too heavvy and too tall. I will keep looking.

Edited by paz

My only issue with it is, it's pretty heavy, according to specs 228kg wet. Surprisingly the Z1000 is 218kg, that doesn't realy make sense does it ?

Read any of the reviews posted and you'll see the general consensus is that the weight isn't noticeable unless at standstill, according to most it is as good as the Street Triple which is 30kgs or so lighter!

One has to be really naive to believe that. Weight is, you know.. weight.

Saw one today for rent on Beach rd Pattaya next to a Z1000... i thought it would look cheap next to its big brother but looks just as good without too much inspection.

Will be definitely renting one with the lookout to buy one but need to sell one of my track-bikes to make room for it... and always hard to sell a bike smile.png

Saw one today for rent on Beach rd Pattaya next to a Z1000... i thought it would look cheap next to its big brother but looks just as good without too much inspection.

Will be definitely renting one with the lookout to buy one but need to sell one of my track-bikes to make room for it... and always hard to sell a bike smile.png

I spent ages going around there but nver asked how much is the rent and deposit for these now? And if they want to take hostage of your passport ?