Ais Vs True

Hssl

I currently have AIS on 'post pay' - for the last 2 months the call quality has been very patchy even when full or near full signal, I have swapped out the sim to a different phone and its still the same .........

So I'm thinking of switching to TRUE - your thoughts?

Thanks!

H

Which AIS post-paid service do you have: GSM Advance (900 MHz) or GSM1800 (1800 MHz). These are different brands, on different networks. GSM1800 seems to experience many, many problems.

What kind of phone do you have? Do you use mobile data? 3G?

With millions of customers scattered across a huge country I think feedback on call quality, completion etc. would be interesting but perhaps not particularly helpful for you?

Pre-paid SIMs are 49 baht each, so it is very inexpensive, and easy, to experiment before potentially porting out to TrueMove, TrueMove H or DTAC.

Maybe best/easiest to try some other SIMs, if they work for you change?

I'm hearing quit some complaints of AIS users, and it seems to be mainly in areas where they are rolling out 3G.

It seems the switching between the old gsm net and the new 3G (wcdma) is not smooth in areas where both type of signals are present.

Even in Pattaya where most coverage is 3G now i notice my phone sometimes flipping between E and 3g indication with brief moments of no network in between.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

I'm hearing quit some complaints of AIS users, and it seems to be mainly in areas where they are rolling out 3G.

It seems the switching between the old gsm net and the new 3G (wcdma) is not smooth in areas where both type of signals are present.

Even in Pattaya where most coverage is 3G now i notice my phone sometimes flipping between E and 3g indication with brief moments of no network in between.

I'm getting the same problems as Monty E to 3G to H - I have AIS 3G package which is pretty patchy for speed across Bangkok and is dire at work in the west of Bangkok (Phet kasem road) - most of the staff in the office are on True and tell me there's no problems...........

I'm getting the same problems as Monty E to 3G to H - I have AIS 3G package which is pretty patchy for speed across Bangkok and is dire at work in the west of Bangkok (Phet kasem road) - most of the staff in the office are on True and tell me there's no problems...........

I am not sure these issues are related to the OP's problem?

AIS users can roam onto TOT's network so this may be causing some issues.

Some modems/firmware actually fall back from WCDMA to 3G to GSM data, when data is idle, in order to conserve power.

I think people need to provide a lot more detail: phone, make, model, rev., location, if the goal is to troubleshoot the problem to resolution.

If you have issues with AIS it seems simple and easy to try a 49 baht pre-paid TrueMove H SIM (assuming you can support 850 MHz 3G). If it works acceptably port out from AIS to TrueMove H.

Some modems/firmware actually fall back from WCDMA to 3G to GSM data, when data is idle, in order to conserve power.

I wish I fully understood the fine difference's in 3G terminology/acronyms. I thought WCDMA was just another acronym for 3G? This link kinda provides a big picture/layman's explanation of 3G and 2G terminology/acronyms but it's still blurry in my mind especially on the 3G part.

What is the main difference between WCDMA and 3G? Must be some difference based on the reference of WCDMA falling back to 3G. Maybe it's just the version of 3G we are talking about like 3.1, 3.2, etc?

Wcdma is the basic communication technology used on 3g phones.

It is totally different from gsm technology!

So when your phone detects a 3g network it'll usually indicate this with a 3g icon somewhere.

Wcdma only gives 384 kbps, so they.designed an upgrade to improve speeds. Called Hdpa, or even hdpa+ allowing theoretical speeds of up to 42 mbps (also called 3.9G).

For power saving reasons your phone will only kick in hdpa when data transfer is happening.

This all happens seemlessly.

Much the same as with gsm which only allowed 9.3 kbps data transfer, then upgraded to gprs (58 kbps) and then again to edge (284 kbps)...

I think the op's problem might result from his phone going to gsm mode when weak 3g signal. This does not happen seemlessly as the phone has to register on a different type of network and can result in dropped calls.

Some modems/firmware actually fall back from WCDMA H (HSPA, HSPA+, HDPA, et al.) to 3G to GSM data, when data is idle, in order to conserve power.

and when transitioning from one cell to an adjacent one, say when driving or riding on the BTS.

(My mistake on the WCDMA usage, temporary, but frequent disconnect between brain and fingers. ;) )

But again, the OP seemed to be having issues with patchy call quality, which to me means call completion problems, lack of clarity, echo perhaps in a single stationary location, or in several?

I am using AIS, and the signal is really bad around BKK, Pathumthani, Suvarnabhumi, everywhere. At first I thought it was my SE Xperia problem, so I bought a new Samsung Galaxy S2, but the problem persists, so I went to AIS shop and replaced a new SIM card, signal is still so patchy and bad. The worse thing is that AIS charges so expensive. I think TRUE is a lot better.

I thought Truemove-H offered unlimited Internet access. After you use the 4GB 3G fair usage, I understood that it drops down to a low speed that was unlimited.

I put 1000 baht credit on my SIM card and paid 650 baht for the plan. The 3G usage was used up and it started deducting from my balance until the balance was gone then it simply stopped working.

Doesn't seem unlimited to me.

I thought Truemove-H offered unlimited Internet access. After you use the 4GB 3G fair usage, I understood that it drops down to a low speed that was unlimited.

I put 1000 baht credit on my SIM card and paid 650 baht for the plan. The 3G usage was used up and it started deducting from my balance until the balance was gone then it simply stopped working.

That's my understanding as well? I think a GB limit still applies to all the providers then they kick back their 3G speed to 64kbps or something stupid like that! What is the point in calling this service 3G? I am still stuck with DTAC using their 3G service at EDGE speeds because its part of their fair usage policy. What is fair about not having 3G speeds in this day unlimited.I don't see point in changing to another provider as they all have the cut off as far as I know. I'd be happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

True-H does noit have a 4GB package.

They have a 30 day 3GB package (650 Baht), this is NOT unlimited! (registration code: *900*34#) It does have unlimited wifi but not 3G.

They have a monthly recurring 3GB package (799 Baht) which is unlimited. (registration code: *900*45#) Fair usage speed after 3GB is 128 kbps.

Source

Their pages are a disaster as clicking on English everything stays in Thai, and as it is one big jpeg image Google translate can't help either!

My wife has dtac and I have both AIS and True. I have seen AIS deteriorating service over the past year or so. True, likewise, has improved their service steadily. I would say their 3G coverage is the best in Thailand.

But both phone and billing support are really terrible. True is especially messy. Seems like one call center handles all True services and they never can check on the correct billing.

You need to decide what you want........ if its pure voice, the AIS 2G is of course the best bet for rural thailand ( non BKK ). if you mainly in built up area's, there is not alot of difference between the operators on 2G.

AIS has (i believe) taken frequency channels from their 2G and re-farmed it for 3G, but the problem now is they dont have enough spectrum for both - thats why there has been a sudden and visable degradation in their 2G. Their 3G is known to be bad.

For 3G, True is currently the best, DTAC 2nd alternative

Edited by skippybangkok

I have AIS and Dtac and I roam a fair bit mostly in Issan and provinces east of Bkk. Voice on AIS is definitely patchy. I've noticed it deteriorating over the last 6 months or so. I don't use AIS for internet now cos they ripped me of with mis-selling their packages (too much small print showing the limits, etc.)

I use Dtac unlimited monthly for internet and I set my smartone (Nokia n900) to run on gsm speeds only so that I could use the 3G when I was in town and wanted a download. Guess what ! Even with my phone carefully selected to gsm only - Dtac still send me the sms messages to tell me that my "allowance" of 1Gb at 3g-speed is part-used, then all used-up. I have double-checked my settings, tried it over several months, discussed it with the supervisor at Dtac, but it has never stopped happening. sad.png

I have AIS and Dtac and I roam a fair bit mostly in Issan and provinces east of Bkk. Voice on AIS is definitely patchy. I've noticed it deteriorating over the last 6 months or so. I don't use AIS for internet now cos they ripped me of with mis-selling their packages (too much small print showing the limits, etc.)

I use Dtac unlimited monthly for internet and I set my smartone (Nokia n900) to run on gsm speeds only so that I could use the 3G when I was in town and wanted a download. Guess what ! Even with my phone carefully selected to gsm only - Dtac still send me the sms messages to tell me that my "allowance" of 1Gb at 3g-speed is part-used, then all used-up. I have double-checked my settings, tried it over several months, discussed it with the supervisor at Dtac, but it has never stopped happening. sad.png

Not sure I understand you, but I assume you think that when logged in through a 2 G network, your data isn't counted as 3G data but taken out of the unlimited speed reduced part.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way, with none of the providers afaik.

All your data is deducted from your data allowance regardless.of the fact you are connected through 2G.

And when you have reached your cap, speed will be limited...

So the unlimited Internet for the 650 baht Truemove-H package is NOT accurate. You are limited to 3 GB of 3G service then there is no Internet service except for WiFi. If there is no WiFi service available you are simply out of luck. Even if WiFi is available, I see no instructions how to access it.

This leaves a very sour taste in my mouth.

So the unlimited Internet for the 650 baht Truemove-H package is NOT accurate. You are limited to 3 GB of 3G service then there is no Internet service except for WiFi. If there is no WiFi service available you are simply out of luck. Even if WiFi is available, I see no instructions how to access it.

Correct.

The "unlimited" package is 799 Baht.

Actally after getting a Thai to help interpret their Thai page with the packages, the 650 Baht package is not called unlimited. Only the 799 Baht package is, along with the note that the fair use limit is 3Gb and speedreduction after that.

When you register for a package you get a whole bunch of sms messages, one of which contain your wifi log in details.

The sour tast with True comes mainly from the total lack of proper info or even worse, misinformation you get at their service centers, along with the total lack of English on their website so you cannot even educate yourself.

Pretty much on a data package your 3G, EDGE, and GSM data type connections subtract from your total data allowance. Usually the packages are advertised as 3G/EDGE package which means 3G "and/or" EDGE usage....using either subtracts from your data allowance. And EDGE is really just upgraded GSM....in fact EDGE stands for Enhanced Data rate for GMS Evolution.

Usually what happens when you reach your 3G/EDGE fair use limit, say of 3GB, your maximun speed is knocked down to 384Kb or 64Kb...most likely 384Kb on a 3GB plan. But come the start of your billing month your allowance and speed is restored until you reach the fair use limit again.

Not sure I understand you, but I assume you think that when logged in through a 2 G network, your data isn't counted as 3G data but taken out of the unlimited speed reduced part.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way, with none of the providers afaik.

All your data is deducted from your data allowance regardless.of the fact you are connected through 2G.

And when you have reached your cap, speed will be limited...

Thanks -- I came to that conclusion too, but without the benefit of information from Dtac. ;)

Leaves a sour taste in everyone's mouth I guess? Other countries in region don't have these so called "unlimited" 3G plans that kick back to 64kbps after hitting the "limit". They have 3G at 3G speeds that can be refilled when the money runs out. Is this not available in Thailand because we are still waiting the 3G auction - or will it be same afterwards as well?

What did you eat ?

the packages are limited on 3G, but unlimted on Wifi. Un-limited plans on 3G has been tried and tested in the west, failed miserably.

If you want more than the 3Gb plan, upgrade to the 5Gb..... and you wont be shaped........ or you can pay ala carte if go over 3Gb.

Leaves a sour taste in everyone's mouth I guess? Other countries in region don't have these so called "unlimited" 3G plans that kick back to 64kbps after hitting the "limit". They have 3G at 3G speeds that can be refilled when the money runs out. Is this not available in Thailand because we are still waiting the 3G auction - or will it be same afterwards as well?

Exists in a way.

With Dtac on the unlimited plan (3Gb fair usage) when reaching your limit you get an sms with option to get an extra Gb at 150 Baht.

With one2call I have a 1Gb package on my android phone, and when not sufficient near the end I just tack on 300Mb for 107 Baht (code *500*72*).

Don't expect any big changes when the long awaited Thailand 3G auction occurs which is really focusing on selling the 2100MHz 3G frequency compared to primarily the 850MHz 3G frequency currently used by DTAC and True...and 900Mhz currently used by AIS. Just because the carriers will have another 3G frequency to broadcast on don't mean any of their voice/data plans will change.

I'm living in Chiang Mai right now and have no idea about how good Truemove H coverage here is. I'm still using AIS because voicecall coverage is still SUPPOSED to be the best, especially when out travelling in the country.

Anyone think switching to Truemove H is a good idea?

On that note, perhaps its because I can speak Thai fluently and look Thai, I've received pretty good service at Telewiz and have had no billing issues. True on the other hand has been quite incompetent and slow with their billing.

Feedback and advice would be welcome.

I'm living in Chiang Mai right now and have no idea about how good Truemove H coverage here is. I'm still using AIS because voicecall coverage is still SUPPOSED to be the best, especially when out travelling in the country.

Anyone think switching to Truemove H is a good idea?

On that note, perhaps its because I can speak Thai fluently and look Thai, I've received pretty good service at Telewiz and have had no billing issues. True on the other hand has been quite incompetent and slow with their billing.

Feedback and advice would be welcome.

Get a cheap pre paid sim and try for a while.

True-h is not bad internet wise, but mileage may vary depending on location...

True-h is more expensive then Ais and Dtac, 799 for unlimited with 3Gb fair use limit and then reduced to 64kbps...

The others sit at 650 for the same, and a much more useful 384 kbps fair use speed limit...