Authorities Deny Us And Sell Any Alcohol Because...

dagling

Hey, come in a slightly awkward situation with my new coffee and restaurant. Authorities deny us and sell any alcohol because we border a building currently leases to a technical school (branch to the main school in Khon Kaen) so that students do not journey into Khon Kaen.

But what do you think would happen if we sell beer and whiskey from neighboring property? The neighboring land is owned by my wife's uncle. I had thought that we could advise customers that we are unfortunately not currently allowed to sell alcohol, but the staff will offer the service to buy your desired beverage to the customer from the neighboring plot and bring to them.

NB!!! The authority allows the customer bring their own alcohol.

The way I see it, the government refuses all sales of alcohol from the site adjacent to the school, while my wife's uncle plot not adjacent to school, and thus can not be refused the sale of alcohol.

My wife asked the authorities here in Maha Sarakam if it was possible to circumvent this rule by doing as mentioned above, but was told that this practice was the same as if we were having sold alcohol from the Restaurant.

I just can not understand that the Authority may deny employees of a restaurant to offer this service to purchase alcohol outside restaurant limits, and bringing drinks back?

What is your opinion on the matter, someone with legal expertise in the area?

Having been informed of the law you now wish to ignore it.

I guess it will not be long before you're back telling us the police are harassing you.

The spirit if the law is to keep alcohol away from students. How well it works is another matter. Move your business. Next time do better research before you open at a particular location...

If you were to do as you suggest, how would you get the alcohol licence for the other plot of land? It would mean registering a new business (open to inspection) as you have already been told the restaurant isn't allowed to sell.

The only thing in your favour is that the customers are allowed to bring their own bottles, which again is a strange permission if the purpose of the alcohol licence is to deter the schoolkids. Put a sign up to say the minimum age of admission is say, 25. Unless the schoolkids already use your premises and you are looking for the best of both worlds?

It's the same with several things I believe that can't be near schools. LPG, Petrol stations, massage parlours.

Does the law state a particular distance or just next door ?

You know how it works here. If you are planning to get around the law you know where that will lead (as Guesthouse said).

With the trouble with technical school gangs you maybe glad of the law.

I don't know if it is an actual law or a proposed law, but i understood it is forbidden to sell alcohol or cigarettes within 500M of a school or a temple?

Maybe a bit of selective enforcement going on as i know a temple not far from me that is opposite a 7/11 selling both??

I don't know if it is an actual law or a proposed law, but i understood it is forbidden to sell alcohol or cigarettes within 500M of a school or a temple?

Maybe a bit of selective enforcement going on as i know a temple not far from me that is opposite a 7/11 selling both??

Maybe the shop was there before the law ?

Having been informed of the law you now wish to ignore it.

I guess it will not be long before you're back telling us the police are harassing you.

The spirit if the law is to keep alcohol away from students. How well it works is another matter. Move your business. Next time do better research before you open at a particular location...

yeah he'd be better off opening a knife and gun shop by the looks of things, an funnily i bet they would allow that?

And ive never seen a Monk smoke.wink.png

Would have been wise to check the rules before opening any business.

Anyway I wouldn't try circumventing the rules like you propose if I were you.

Yermaneewai.gif

The school open up 4 weeks after we star building the place, and we had never heard about that you can not sell alcohol because you stay next door to a school.

Yermaneewai.gif

The school open up 4 weeks after we star building the place, and we had never heard about that you can not sell alcohol because you stay next door to a school.

Bad luck mate. Try all the legal channels you can to get round this, there's always a way in LOS, rules or no rules. They never seem to be set in stone here.

It's the same with several things I believe that can't be near schools. LPG, Petrol stations, massage parlours.

Does the law state a particular distance or just next door ?

You know how it works here. If you are planning to get around the law you know where that will lead (as Guesthouse said).

With the trouble with technical school gangs you maybe glad of the law.

Guidelines generally specify 500 feet from a filling station to a school.

SC

• Like 1

Yermaneewai.gif

its called due diligence. it is what a businessman does before opening a business, sorry to say

A massive nightclub in bangkok once made the same mistake and it cost them millions. they ended up closing the doors after a very protracted court battle and round of bribery that could have been avoided if they had just looked out the back door at the elementary school and university campus behind them.

saw one puffing away at the temple overlooking the airport runway in samui the other day...

my wifes brother has been a monk for years, has written books on the religion, is truly devoted, he smokes.

it's not a problem, does not make him any less devoted.