Ie 9 Crashes

givenall

I am having a lot of problem with IE 9 in my notebook running Win 7 Home Premium 64

It works fine when I go to a site, then when I go to another site sometimes it crashes and give me “Internet Explorer stopped working checking for solution”.

It will end of session and then restarts. Sometime this goes for ever deponding on the site I am visiting

Any solution, thanks in advance

I recently had similar IE9 problems to what the OP had...and when visiting the ThaiVisa site it seemed to cause more crashes than other sites whether in compatibility mode or not...crashing while writing a post became common. Problem was predominately fixed by "Reseting" IE9 like shown at this Link....and I got back to 100% stability by updating/reloading one add-on. See below for more of the story.

I can't find the specific Microsoft link now that I found before and describes the problem, but basically it said first to Reset IE which usually fixes the problem...if problem still exist then try disabling Add-ons one by one to possibly spot the offending add-on module/program.

OK, I have reset IE9 (a click of one button and one second later its reset) and the instability seems to be fixed after using it for about an hour and going to those sites like ThaiVisa that would easily make IE9 unstable/crash. However, when reactivating my Google Toolbar the toolbar didn't fully appear...not a stability issue...just seemed like the Google Toolbar had been crippled. I had to uninstall Google Toolbar and reinstall it (easy enough) which got that toolbar fully working again. OK, IE9 now seems stable...I start reactivating other add-ons which were deactivated/turned-off during the IE9 Reset and I noticed when I reactivated the Speckie add-on, an IE9 spell checker, I noticed some instability return but nothing close to what I had before Reseting IE9. I see the Speckie is not the latest version so I uninstall it and download/install the latest version which fixed the remaining instability problem. I continued to reactivate my other dozen or so add-ons and they didn't cause any instability/crashing problems. IE9 has been rock steady since (even on ThaiVisa), which was about two weeks ago.

I would say the IE9 reset fixed 90-95% of the instability/crashing problem and when I installed the latest version of Speckie that fixed the remaining portion.

As FYI, have tried Chome...didn't like it; never tried Firefox. Other than this one instability issue with IE9 which was fixed easily enough, I can't remember any issues with IE8, IE7, or earlier versions.

Edited by Pib

From experience two particular points come to my mind:

- running FireFox in addition to IE9 did solve some IE related browser problems for me in the past when I had to exchanging information with specific government sites in the Netherlands (this solution was suggested by one of those sites), and

- when you are running a specific version of Avast! Antivirus (version 7) and repeatedly the error message "Windows Explorer has stopped working" pops up then you'll have to disable addon avast WebRep! in Internet Explorer 9.

Maybe this helps.

Don't know how to go back to IE8 or if it is possible to run IE8 next to IE9. When only one version is allowed to exist, it is probably the latest version that counts, so be sure you've got the latest updates.

I've had a similar problem with IE since I bought my laptop last year. Within about two days I got the 'IE has stopped working...,.' message, but only with the 32 bit version. IE 64 bit continued to work and still does without any problems. Although I only use IE 64 bit to access a couple of bit torrent sites, preferring to use Chrome for everything else so I've never tried to correct the IE 32 bit problem.

Interestingly though, when I access some sites, such as Expat Shield (which I've always accessed via chrome) my IE 32 bit opens up, but of course just with the stopped working message. Expat Shield has obviously instructed my laptop to do this, although because my IE isn't working I don't know what it's trying to show, or, worryingly, what other access to my laptop it has. A friend tells me he just gets a page load of adverts etc when IE opens up and it keeps popping up every few minutes.

It must be something else than the Ie9. I reverted back to Ie8 and the problem is still there. Even though before everything was working fine

What is interesting is that after the crash i do not get the message that the data was sent to Microsoft, as i get with some other crashes

Edited by givenall

Disable all "add-ons" and see if same happens. It probably don't. Then enable one by one again untill you locate the error.

I have been running IE 9 since it came on the marked and no problem at all. I have disabled all the add-ons. Only enable java when I need it (banking etc).

Firefox and Crome have their issues as well.

To go back to IE 8: Go to control panel -> select "Turn windows features on or off" -> unhook Internet Explorer 9 (need restart)

Now you should have IE 8 back. If not, turn IE 9 on again, download (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=43) IE 8 and remove IE 9 again. Then install IE 8

To repeat some of the above;

1) reset IE on the Security and the Advanced tab. Restart IE

2) Manage Add Ons on the Programs tab and DISABLE all. Restart IE

3) Check Windows Updates

4) if the problem is resolved ENABLE one Add On at a time. If you have things like Skype or programs that integrate with IE they will be likely cause.

Good luck