Route Option Cnx To Bkk. (Yes I've Searched)

Amras

Hi All,

Been looking for the last few hours. Been missing my bike as it's been at a friends house since I've moved to Bkk. Time to go get it. Was going to put it on the back of a pickup, but can't find a car available, so decided to ride it down to Bkk (over 2 days, no hurry).

Few options that I would appreciate opinions as to the best route (don't plan on doing high speeds, as I said, not in a hurry).

So far (from reading other threads).

Out of Chiang Mai, either take the 11 to Den chai, onto Phitsanlok then detour a little to Nakhon Sawan (for overnight stop), either via the 117 or 11 and then across west on the 225 to stop overnight.

OR, the other option I see is the 106 to tak and the ah1/2 (1) to Nakhon Sawan (but I've read the road between Tak and Nakhon Sawan is average? I know Nakhon Sawan can be avoided (on another route), but it's probably as far as I want to go in a day and seems a reasonable stop over point.

From there, onto Bangkok via the 340 as I live out west of the city.

Whats the thoughts/experience out of Chiang Mai? Should the 1 (and AH1/2) be avoided if possible for a more easier/less traffic ride.

Thanks,

Michael

I know Nakhon Sawan pretty well and either route you have listed is a fairly boring ride. You can take the 1084 which is on the other side of the river and it's fairly nice, but you do go through more towns. Getting to Tak you head out on the 104, cross the river and join up with the AH1/2 until the 115 just south of Kamphaeng Phet and then cross over again where you make a right on the 1084. Go down there until the 117 which will lead you into Nakhon Sawan.

If ~500km is the max you want to ride in a day, could I suggest the Chiang Mai->Mae Sariang->Mae Sot->Tak for the first day's ride? Yes, it's circuitous, but well worth it. Second day can be done as suggested in the last paragraph.

Or even do the 11->101->Phitsanulok and then over to Lom Sak. Nice cheap place to stay overnight and your next day run to BKK can be accomplished with a visit down throught Phetchabun, over the 113 to the 11 and then you're in In Buri and straight down to BKK.

**edit**

deleted stuff the OP already had covered.

Edited by dave_boo

Thanks Dave. Couldn't figure out where the 1084 was, until I zoomed in. Looks pretty much the same length, but assume much less traffic on the 1084 then the AH1.

The 108/105 looks interesting but ads, about 150kms to the trip. 685kms in a day (to Nakon Sawan). hmm..

Thanks Dave. Couldn't figure out where the 1084 was, until I zoomed in. Looks pretty much the same length, but assume much less traffic on the 1084 then the AH1.

The 108/105 looks interesting but ads, about 150kms to the trip. 685kms in a day (to Nakon Sawan). hmm..

Overnighting in Mae Sot may be an even better bet as it splits the difference between the days better. Chiang Mai to Tak as suggested is a 512 km; not really all that much for the ride provided. Cut off 85 km for an overnight at Mae Sot. Tak to Khlong Khwang is then 255 km (or 340 from Mae Sot to Khlong Khwang).

Another interesting mid-trip option is to get on the 333 (to Uthai Thani), and head out the 3265 down to the 3183 or stay on the 3265 over until the ferry at Manorom and then get back on 1 to the 340. The 3183 has some neat twists in it and nice scenery, but I suppose it's really up to what your rear feels like. The AH1->333->3265->3183->340 route will add only ~18 km and the AH1->333->3265->340 (ferry ride added on) will add only ~15 km as opposed to skipping it. If you want REAL backroads, through the area that are interesting and won't add many km (just more time as it's quite picturesque), let me know.

**edit**

While the 1175, that is just north of Mae Charao on the 105 and connects to 1 in Ban Tak looks like an interesting road, unless you're riding a CRF or KLX....DON'T DO IT! Bigbikebkk, mbox, thaicbr, and taichiplanet can all back me up on this.

Edited by dave_boo

Thanks for the help Dave. Over dinner gf and I decided we would make it 3 days, more relaxed and the final leg into Bangkok can be reasonably short and ready to deal with the traffic (plus more time to take in the views).

Day 1 Chiang Mai to Mae Sot and stay overnight.

Day 2 Mae Sot to somewhere. (from Tak to Kamphaeng Phet on the 1, from there on the 1084 (instead of AH1)? to Nakhon Sawan. Is the 1084 a better road (As you suggested before?) Just trying to decide where to stop over night. Somewhere between Chai Nat and Supan Buri I guess? Ideas? Maybe something like this... http://goo.gl/maps/9Fc3o

Day 3, from there short drive home to Bangkok (under 200kms).

Have some extra time, so not pushed and open to ideas.

11-1-122-32 (122 is the bypass around Nakorn Sawan)

This route takes me 7.5 - 8 hours....leave at 8am i get there by 4pm. All roads in between are good. Some sections of 11 and 1 have potholes. The area around Chainat and Singburi have deep ruts at traffic lights, and some times the big trucks dont stop, so make sure who's behind you when you get close to a stop light. I almost got ran over just for stopping at a red light, good thing i was in a different lane.

It's rainy season, be ready for it.

Thanks for the help Dave. Over dinner gf and I decided we would make it 3 days, more relaxed and the final leg into Bangkok can be reasonably short and ready to deal with the traffic (plus more time to take in the views).

Day 1 Chiang Mai to Mae Sot and stay overnight.

Day 2 Mae Sot to somewhere. (from Tak to Kamphaeng Phet on the 1, from there on the 1084 (instead of AH1)? to Nakhon Sawan. Is the 1084 a better road (As you suggested before?) Just trying to decide where to stop over night. Somewhere between Chai Nat and Supan Buri I guess? Ideas? Maybe something like this... http://goo.gl/maps/9Fc3o

Day 3, from there short drive home to Bangkok (under 200kms).

Have some extra time, so not pushed and open to ideas.

If you're looking for an all star tour, than it's hard not to recommend the 12 out of Tak over to Lom Sak and then down the 21 to overnight in Phetchabun. Such a ride is a favourite over on the TigerSachs board. However, that will require 3x ~450km rides.

Personally I like the 1084 better than the AH1/2. Less smog, better condition overall and more scenic. It can also be a bit slower, but that can be an advantage also.

Chai Nat has 2 hotels that I am aware of. Can't recall the names off the top of my head, but the one with the 'disco' looks less shady. As a bonus you can check out the "Bird Farm" the next morning when it's not too hot. Thais like it a lot.

An added bonus of checking out the bird farm is that you'll be competing less with the big rigs (tractor/lorries & trailer(s)) and cows after say 0900.

Be warned that all of the layovers that I recommend are pretty much baan nok and don't have much going on late if that's an influence in your decision.

**edit**

I forgot...if you're stretching it out and want to get some good views, there's no reason you can't cut down through Kamphaeng Phet province, the west side of Nakhon Sawan province, skirt the east end of Uthai Thani province and end up in Chai Nat. With exception of a nasty intersection at the 1072 and 3504 (with the 3504 being a fairly boring ride until you get to the 3456) the roads are in really good condition.

Edited by dave_boo

Thanks for all the help Dave. Just need to decide either to take the 1084 or the scenic route you suggested at the end. Been watching the weather and as you go east, seems like they are getting more rain than the west side (and flooding in Phetchabun yesterday and today apparently).

So will stick to the west side. Hopefully get some luck and mostly clear riding.

Not looking for night life, got enough in Bangkok, just time to rest, recover and prepare for the next day.

See how we go, take it easy, enjoy it, and might get to posting some photos/trip report up when I'm back.

This is my first big ride, so taking it accordingly.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks for all the help Dave. Just need to decide either to take the 1084 or the scenic route you suggested at the end. Been watching the weather and as you go east, seems like they are getting more rain than the west side (and flooding in Phetchabun yesterday and today apparently).

So will stick to the west side. Hopefully get some luck and mostly clear riding.

Not looking for night life, got enough in Bangkok, just time to rest, recover and prepare for the next day.

See how we go, take it easy, enjoy it, and might get to posting some photos/trip report up when I'm back.

This is my first big ride, so taking it accordingly.

Cheers,

Michael

If you're a good rider big rides are easy. I'm a crappy rider and put in 1000km days when I go on my big rides.

It is proper decorum to post pictures of your ride. Usually I am going through the middle leg area too fast and since it's near the house I've never considered taking pictures. It would be interesting to see it through someone else's eyes (lens).

From memory most all of the Tak->Chai Nat is at least 50 meters above sea level. If there is any flooding, just about the only place in the last route I suggested that may have issues is Sawang Arom / Thap Than. But even that would take a hell of a lot of rain as back last flood where all of the 225 SE of Nakhon Sawan and the 1084 on the east side of the river were flooded and the route I suggest was barely wet.

First, you never said what kind of bike you have (or did I miss that somewhere ?)

Second, you never really said what kind of a rider you are ?

I have taken all the routes between Cm and BKK Yes all

Nothing is wrong with AH1 and Behumbiol dam is a very nice stop along the way

Back way to Mae Sot is OK, One of the ways I like best, however fuel may be a problem in some areas and if the bike is not in good condition, there are long ways between service options as well as fuel if you have wave like limited range.

Fuel,Food, and hotel along the way will cost more than having it transported. There is a company in CM that will transport the bike 800 - 1000 Bt overnight. Fully insured, Native English speakers as an option. (PM me if you want their number)

better weather in another month or two

There is a company in CM that will transport the bike 800 - 1000 Bt overnight. Fully insured, Native English speakers as an option. (PM me if you want their number)

Do they transport bike bikes too?

I would appreciate to get their contact number.

First, you never said what kind of bike you have (or did I miss that somewhere ?)

Second, you never really said what kind of a rider you are ?

I have taken all the routes between Cm and BKK Yes all

Nothing is wrong with AH1 and Behumbiol dam is a very nice stop along the way

Back way to Mae Sot is OK, One of the ways I like best, however fuel may be a problem in some areas and if the bike is not in good condition, there are long ways between service options as well as fuel if you have wave like limited range.

Fuel,Food, and hotel along the way will cost more than having it transported. There is a company in CM that will transport the bike 800 - 1000 Bt overnight. Fully insured, Native English speakers as an option. (PM me if you want their number)

better weather in another month or two

I have a Ninja 250. I wouldn't be worried about sending it if it was a scooter. Sure the weather will be better, but had to come to chaing mai for other things so moving it now. That company will transport it to their centre in Bangkok and then it will need to be picked up. I don't trust their 'insurance', I've read many people have had damaged transporting on trains, post, couriers etc (and others who haven't), I don't want the potential issues.

Mileage should be fine to Maesot (on the Ninja). Rider, normal, I would guess. I'm not racing, nor planning to ride at 100km/h plus (I don't have that need). Bike is still like new, so should have no issues. Food, I need to eat anyway, fuel, its ok. One nights accomodation, I haven't been anywhere, so not a problem.

I have a Ninja 250. I wouldn't be worried about sending it if it was a scooter. Sure the weather will be better, but had to come to chaing mai for other things so moving it now. That company will transport it to their centre in Bangkok and then it will need to be picked up. I don't trust their 'insurance', I've read many people have had damaged transporting on trains, post, couriers etc (and others who haven't), I don't want the potential issues.

Mileage should be fine to Maesot (on the Ninja). Rider, normal, I would guess. I'm not racing, nor planning to ride at 100km/h plus (I don't have that need). Bike is still like new, so should have no issues. Food, I need to eat anyway, fuel, its ok. One nights accomodation, I haven't been anywhere, so not a problem.

You'll be fine. The Chiang Mai -> Mae Sot leg is definitely farther than you can make on a tank of fuel; but filling up after 200 kms from Chiang Mai will leave you fuel to spare to easily make it to Mae Sot.

The leg from Mae Sot -> Tak is free of any major petrol stations from my memory. You'll definitely want to fuel there. Without know which route you're taking, either side of the river has a decent number of big stations with about the same frequency. If you're going down through Kamphaeng Phet, there are a few stations along the way, but definitely fuel up in Khlong Lan as the next 'good' station will be in Uthai Thani. After that you have a pretty good stretch without more big stations; there's a couple of Green Leafs scattered here and there. You're then on the way to Suphanburi, which if you've taken the road before you know how many stations it has. All together you're going to need a good 5 fill ups if you're looking to the route I suggested. At 12 litres per and roughly 37 thb (gasohol 95) you'll spend ~2100 baht on fuel; guess unless you get expensive digs that's going to be your largest cost.

Thanks Dave. We are going to take the higher road you suggested.

Route

I assume no issues (I want to stick away from the river as the choao praya is filling up. Hate to get caught.

MAe sot - Tak (80kms) will top up in Tak.

Tak - Uthai Thani - 250kms (< 1 tank).

After that should be fine.

Was going to do it in three days, but look slike Saturday a fair bit of rain is coming (leaving CM tomorrow). So will do Mae-sot to Bkk on Friday (or if the weather is good, continue on CM - Mae Sot - far as we feel like on the first day.

• 3 weeks later...