Bbc World Service On Truevisions

brewsterbudgen

I've just found out that from 9 October, BBC World Service will no longer be carried by Truevisions on their radio service. The DMX stations are going on 16 September, and now this! I realise that BBC World Service is available on the internet, but I find it far more convenient to listen to it through my TV in my bedroom.

Is anyone else bothered by this? How easy is it to listen to the BBC World Service through a shortwave or FM radio in Thailand?

We call it the Bombay Broadcasting Corporation.

By the way, have you checked the BBC website for streams? Apart from Five Live I think you can listen to the rest (including regional) anywhere.

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

Slightly off topic, but I do miss bbc radio on in the background. Does anyone know how to get it? The only way I've found is to go the isp changing route and then getting it through the Internet. Can get in through the website unless uk registered.

Scap that, I've just tried the website and it works! Yahoo!

Edited by mjj

I Wouldnt miss anything the british bullshit corporation put out ,its all left wing rubbish.

The impartial BBC on behalf of the Conservative Party? Left-wing? w00t.gif

On behalf of the Conservative Party? Are you mad?

Sorry, was talking about the BBC Home Service! Apologies for providing thought-provoking historical context. Will stick to populist BBC Breakfast statements in the future!

Edited by Morakot

Ye be wanting this then:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...es/frequencies/

Soccer is barrred as its sold by copyright owners in each market.

Google will reveal a range of options while a quality short wave radio will allow nightime worl service .

Reception within apartment blocks may require a booster aerial

Thanks.

So if I buy a 'decent' short-wave radio, I should be able to pick up the BBC World Service (why only at night?).

There is football commentary on the WS, but only the 2nd half of the main Saturday game - it's the 5Live commentary.

BBC World radio is on any number of satellites across Thailand as is a replacement for DMX like these radio channels on just one of the satellites over us here in Thailand for example;

US New Songs & Chart

US Popular Songs

Sweet Love Songs

50 & 60 Popular Hits

R & B

Hiphop

Party Music

Rock Music

Jazz Vocal

Jazz Main Stream

Lounge

Enka

Japanese Popular Songs

J&T Station

Bossa Nova

Classical

Piano Easy Listening

Crystal Music

Soft Hearing

Season Music

Old Deck

Chinese Best Selling

Chinese Soft Songs

Chinese Classical Music

Children Music

Easy Listening

Birthday Songs

Wedding & Good Bye

Sweet Love Channel

Pop Music

Exclusive Channel

Exclusive Channel Napoli

Da Ai Radio

Exclusive Channel Audrey

Exclusive Channel KF

Crystal & Piano Music

Fashion Music

Soft Music

Exclusive Channel KG

Asia FM

Ufo Network

BBC Radio via satellite radio;

Intelsat 7/10

Apstar 7 (right beside Thaicom)

Telstar 18

and many other satellites besides

Edited by jsat

BBC World radio is on any number of satellites across Thailand as is a replacement for DMX like these radio channels on just one of the satellites over us here in Thailand....................

Intelsat 7/10

Telstar 18

So how do I access this if I live in a huge condo that only offers True?

BBC World radio is on any number of satellites across Thailand as is a replacement for DMX like these radio channels on just one of the satellites over us here in Thailand....................

Intelsat 7/10

Telstar 18

So how do I access this if I live in a huge condo that only offers True?

Buy this package http://jsat.tv/shop/...t&product_id=88 and be sure to tell them it is for BBC Radio (different package from what is listed) and install the dish on the roof of the condo like normal. It is cheaper than most good short wave receivers and always there day or night.

Edited by jsat

Are the current radio channels being replaced or is this a Truevisions cut-back in service?

Does true visions have radio channels now?

Well they currently have around 32 stations masquerading as radio channels but you can occasionally hear a half decent song from them.

Top left hand button on the remote - TV/Radio - press it and you have access to 32 music (?) channels, some good some naff.

Thanks found it.

A bit late now as most of them will be disappearing on 16 September, with the others, including BBC World Service, on 9 October. I haven't heard of anyhting that will be replacing them, although True have agreed to "consult" about whether it's wise to dispense with the BBC WS.

What a lot of hot air and rubbish comes over on these forums/fora!!! However, it is still worth glancing at some of them as there are a few people out there who talk some sense. I have been listening to BBC World Service Radio for about 15 years here on short wave radio both during the day and the night. There are gaps in the service and one has to change frequency from time to time, but by and large it is pretty good. I have TrueVisions (formerly UBC) ONLY because of the BBC World Service. If they ditch it on 9 Oct, I - and I suspect a lot of other people - will also ditch True as the remainder of their programmes certainly do not add up to 1500 odd baht a month (Gold).

• Like 1

Try the TuneIn Radio website or app if you have an iPhine or Android

By far the best answer, and you can listen anywhere. Got about 10 crystal clear free BBC radio stations. Just plug your phone into any stereo anywhere using the headphone jack and off you go. TuneIN is a game changer in regards to radio.

So if I buy a 'decent' short-wave radio, I should be able to pick up the BBC World Service (why only at night?).

There is football commentary on the WS, but only the 2nd half of the main Saturday game - it's the 5Live commentary.

You're kidding right? Since you've got a computer to access this forum why not use it to access the BBC web site and listen to any channel 24hrs/day?

You're kidding right? Since you've got a computer to access this forum why not use it to access the BBC web site and listen to any channel 24hrs/day?

Because I like to listen to the World Service while I'm in bed and I don't have an internet connection (or wi-fi) in my bedroom.

• Like 1

What a lot of hot air and rubbish comes over on these forums/fora!!! However, it is still worth glancing at some of them as there are a few people out there who talk some sense. I have been listening to BBC World Service Radio for about 15 years here on short wave radio both during the day and the night. There are gaps in the service and one has to change frequency from time to time, but by and large it is pretty good. I have TrueVisions (formerly UBC) ONLY because of the BBC World Service. If they ditch it on 9 Oct, I - and I suspect a lot of other people - will also ditch True as the remainder of their programmes certainly do not add up to 1500 odd baht a month (Gold).

A voice or reason. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite another letter complaining about the cancellation of the BBC World Service in today's Bangkok Post, I received an email today from Truevisions informing me that the service will not be cancelled on the new HD boxes. Whether or not they actually know what they're doing is another thing altogether.

• 9 months later...