Renew Road Tax On Old Bike.

Spoonman

I have purchased a bike that is about 25 yrs old and the road tax expired last year.

Do I need to take the bike in for inspection to renew the road tax, Iam not in the same province the book and place is registered in.

Speaking of which is it a straight forward operation to change the province and name in book , I want to do this when I have the rest of the supporting documents from the old owner.

No need to go to the province where it is registered. You can pay road tax in any DLT office. You will definitely need to have the bike 'inspected'. Nor do you actually need to change the province in the book.

I live in Bangkok, bought my bike in Pattaya (Chonburi province plates), and paid tax/insurance in Nong Khai when I lived there, and here in Bangkok (shop, see below) most recently. My truck was bought in Chiang Mai, but I did the renewal here in Bangkok, also at a shop.

Best bet is to find one of the garages that is a designated inspection station (big gear-shaped sign), and have them do it all. The inspection will be cursory at worst, and they will do all the paperwork, and run the book to and from the DLT for a few baht over the actual cost. If I remember correctly, the only thing that they CAN'T do, is switch provinces, which is apparently a major hassle. Transferring ownership, paying road tax, buying insurance and getting the book updated are no problem.

Edited by Sateev