Crackdown On Beer Gardens

george

Beer gardens could soon be a thing of the past

BANGKOK: -- Beer gardens may become a thing of the past if a proposal yesterday by the national subcommittee on alcohol consumption control is approved.

Besides a halt to issuing beer-garden licences, the panel set up by the Public Health Ministry proposed three other measures to control alcohol advertising in a resolution passed at its meeting.

Disease Control Department director Dr Thawat Suntrajarn, president of the subcommittee, said the measures comprised a 24-hour ban on alcohol advertisements in all media, except tie-in adverts in live broadcasts from overseas; a ban on the display of alcohol products, brands and manufacturers’ names in all media; a ban on advertising competitions organised by alcohol companies; and asking the Excise Department to stop issuing licences for beer gardens.

“We see many activities in beer gardens, such as using beer girls, that are kinds of advertisement, so if the Excise Department still allows beer gardens, those promotional activities should be forbidden,” he said.

Thawat said the resolution would be forwarded to the main committee on alcohol consumption control for approval, after which relevant parties such as Chamlong Srimuang, who is heading opposition to the stock-market listing of Thai Beverage Plc – the maker of Chang Beer – would be invited to give their opinions. If the proposal is approved, the Office of the Consumer Protection Board and the Public Relations Department will enforce the new rules, he added.

Jeff Kimble, commercial director of Thai Asia Pacific Brewery Co Ltd – the maker of Heineken beer – said it was difficult for the company to comment on the proposals now. He preferred to wait for details of the restrictions.

A source at a local brewery, who asked not to be named, lamented that the Public Health Ministry would be trying to block brewers from doing business through the new restrictions and was making it seem like alcohol firms were bad guys who are killing people.

“The aim of any controls and restrictions applied to alcoholic beverages is to reduce accidents and promote good health. But this restriction set to eliminate beer gardens is beyond that … It is going to be a campaign to score political points,” the source said.

“I would like to know the real reason why they want to place tough restrictions on our business like this. Anyway, all they have done is fail to address the cause of the problem. They would do better to keep close controls on irresponsible drinkers and revamp the taxation process,” the source said. “Why don’t they prohibit manufacturing entirely?” he said, sarcastically.

--The Nation 2006-01-28

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The liqour companies, producers and sellers and all the venues that sell these products, should make a statement and stop selling their product in Thailand altogether.

I magine that, not a heini in the country, no whiskey, no clubs, no beer gardens, no nuttin.

Lets then see how long before there is a revolution and how long it takes for the tourism to stop coming, businesses go broke and the sub committee for alcohol consumption will be running to the hills for their lives.

Can you imagine it: bars covering their booze displays with a blanket and a small A4 sign sayin "Beer sold here", the Johnnie Walker Classic golf tournament becoming the Hale's Blue Boy Open, people wearing Everton or Liverpool football shirts arrested on the spot and all alcohol brand websites will be added to the 800,000 already allegedly blacklisted in this country.

Whilst I can understand the desire to reduce alcohol consumption, is a blanket advertising ban going to help? The majority of Thai drunks drink Thai whiskey, mostly Samsong and Mekhong, and Lao Khao. Have you ever seen these products advertised on TV?

Enforcing the underage drinking laws by ID checks and a serious crackdown on drink-driving would be much more effective. The last tax hike obviously hasn't had the desired effect so we can probably expect more of the same.

Maybe it won't be as bad as the above article implies it may be. There must be some members of the Government with some common sense......... Or maybe not.

This is absolute NONSENSE :D

How on earth are they going to implement this without thousands more Thai's loosing their jobs.

As previously stated if this kind of miissmanagement of the country's tourist trade continues there won't be one :D

Many of those lovely Beer Girls will end up as Bar Girls once they loose their jobs :o

When will they get a grip and do something USEFUL

Edited by ThaiPauly

BANGKOK: -- Beer gardens may become a thing of the past if a proposal yesterday by the national subcommittee on alcohol consumption control is approved.

Besides a halt to issuing beer-garden licences, the panel set up by the Public Health Ministry proposed three other measures to control alcohol advertising in a resolution passed at its meeting.

“I would like to know the real reason why they want to place tough restrictions on our business like this. Anyway, all they have done is fail to address the cause of the problem. They would do better to keep close controls on irresponsible drinkers and revamp the taxation process,” the source said. “Why don’t they prohibit manufacturing entirely?” he said, sarcastically.

--The Nation 2006-01-28

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The answer, my friends, is very easy indeed; the Breweries of Thailand should extend (purely as a courtesy, of course !) a nice and substantial packet-of-shares in their respective Companies to the 'Enlightened-Leader' of this once great Kingdom. That way they'll get brown noses (or is that "Corporate Thai-Rak-Thai Sponsorship ??) and of course, the government will leave them alone, because otherwise, it would adversely affect Toxin's Pocket . . . . . and believe you me: that is a "Holy Shin Shrine" .

In hindsight, perhaps he should have been allowed to run his little lottery and purchase Everton F.C. with the proceeds . . . . being the official Chang-Beer sponsored team, he would have never touched the industry ! ! !

Oh ? ? Tax liabilities, you ask ? ? . . . . . . ahhh; no worries there either, mate ! ! !

:o:D:D

The whole problem in this country is that tax is not relevant to ABV. Chang beer is as much a disgrace as a disaster. It is far too strong and also the cheapest beer. The same can be said of Thai Whiskey and illegal drinks such as home brews should never be allowed on the streets. Just addressing these problems would go a long way to helping the problem: certainly a long way further than these crackpot ideas. If the cheapest beer was at 3.2 ABV it would be drunk and beer at high ABV, especially over 5.5,of should be heavily taxed to discourage sales of that beer. Only then will Thailand have an alcohol policy that makes ant sense in the real world.

It wouldn't be so bad.

Instead of beer gardens we could have milk shake gardens, or maybe apple cider gardens....

The British would love to have cuppa tea gardens, the Yanks would love Coca Cola gardens, the Dutch would have tulip gardens.................

...........and we Aussie diggers would have fun rootin' around in everybody else's garden. :o

Without alcohol the only problem would be, how do you drink an ugly girl pretty? :D

How on earth are they going to implement this without thousands more Thai's loosing their jobs.

As previously stated if this kind of miissmanagement of the country's tourist trade continues there won't be one :D

Many of those lovely Beer Girls will end up as Bar Girls once they loose their jobs :o

Why is it guys like you are only concerned about losing your girls. I wager not one of you would be in Thailand if not for the cheap sex and news laws like this only threatens your farang lifestyles.

I completely agree with these news proposals and hope the Thai government implements them very soon. I heard no outcry when they cracked down on tobaco advertising so whats the difference? Whats up guys...feel threatened? They are not proposing a ban on drinking, only advertising. As they do in most western countries.

Indeed:

If the cheapest beer was at 3.2 ABV it would be drunk and beer at high ABV, especially over 5.5,of should be heavily taxed to discourage sales of that beer. Only then will Thailand have an alcohol policy that makes ant sense in the real world.

The table is quite simple:

Water = 0ABV = zero tax

Beer = 2ABV = 2 Baht per 330cc

Beer = 3ABV = 3 Baht per 330cc

and so on

These extra Baht should go to a special health fund and not to pockets of people who avoid taxes

MrMarty, why dont you go and do something usefull like interview the crowds of people at lets say... the world trade beer garden and see what they think about these early closing hours, the restrictions on lifestyle, the proposed earlier closing times, the selling of alcohol during daytime hours, blah blah.

Do you think the BAN on issuing new beer garden licences may have an effect on new places opening, old places close and never open again and cannot be replaced, sooner or later the dodo bird effect comes in and it is extinct.

By the way, the majority of the drinkers at these beer gardens are Thai if you had not noticed while sipping your tea at the shangrila.

And of course we are deeply concerned about the loss of employment for these poor girls that are unable to get any other meaningfull employment.

If you do not enjoy the eye candy of these lovelies while on the slops, stay home with wifey or go to silom soi 4.

While alcohol can be addictive, it is not nearly as so as tobacco. While alcohol can cause detrimental effects to other parties, it is not nearly so as secondhand smoke that other individuals have no choice but to breath.

###### tobacco is responsible for deaths than alcohol. Ban that crap instead. Drinking beer doesn't harm anyone else, smoking makes everything stink.

Honestly, I can't understand why anyone is going to LOS any more anyway. Girls have bad attitudes, everything is expensive. PI is much more bang for the buck these days.

Indeed:

If the cheapest beer was at 3.2 ABV it would be drunk and beer at high ABV, especially over 5.5,of should be heavily taxed to discourage sales of that beer. Only then will Thailand have an alcohol policy that makes ant sense in the real world.

Water = 0ABV = zero tax

and so on

These extra Baht should go to a special health fund and not to pockets of people who avoid taxes

Disease Control Department director Dr Thawat Suntrajarn, president of the subcommittee, said the measures comprised a 24-hour ban on alcohol advertisements in all media, except tie-in adverts in live broadcasts from overseas; a ban on the display of alcohol products, brands and manufacturers’ names in all media; a ban on advertising competitions organised by alcohol companies; and asking the Excise Department to stop issuing licences for beer gardens.

“We see many activities in beer gardens, such as using beer girls, that are kinds of advertisement, so if the Excise Department still allows beer gardens, those promotional activities should be forbidden,” he said.

Thawat said the resolution would be forwarded to the main committee on alcohol consumption control for approval, after which relevant parties such as Chamlong Srimuang, who is heading opposition to the stock-market listing of Thai Beverage Plc – the maker of Chang Beer – would be invited to give their opinions. If the proposal is approved, the Office of the Consumer Protection Board and the Public Relations Department will enforce the new rules, he added.

Jeff Kimble, commercial director of Thai Asia Pacific Brewery Co Ltd – the maker of Heineken beer – said it was difficult for the company to comment on the proposals now. He preferred to wait for details of the restrictions.

A source at a local brewery, who asked not to be named, lamented that the Public Health Ministry would be trying to block brewers from doing business through the new restrictions and was making it seem like alcohol firms were bad guys who are killing people.

“The aim of any controls and restrictions applied to alcoholic beverages is to reduce accidents and promote good health. But this restriction set to eliminate beer gardens is beyond that … It is going to be a campaign to score political points,” the source said.

--The Nation 2006-01-28

Get rid of all the bars and ban tobacco

It sounds like the PM is getting self confident again. Too bad for them this is one of those things that looks good on paper. If that is the case then Issan will have a new crop, moonshine!!!!

Nothing new about moonshine in isaan :o

totster :D

Why is it guys like you are only concerned about losing your girls. I wager not one of you would be in Thailand if not for the cheap sex and news laws like this only threatens your farang lifestyles.

Sorry, but...

1) these beer girls don't have anything to do with sex. If you think they do, you should ban models posing for fashion, too.

2) they've got nothing to do with farang lifestyle. At least I've never seen such beer girls in a 'farang' country. This a very Thai thing and one of the things I like about Thailand: customer-friendly, convenient service

3) I'd guess Thai people outnumber foreigners by 10:1 in these beer gardens anyway. Farang lifestyle? I can imagine tens of thousands of Thais fearing of losing their 'farang' lifestyles. Plus, thousands of girls (and a few guys) losing their small job.

I completely agree with these news proposals and hope the Thai government implements them very soon. I heard no outcry when they cracked down on tobaco advertising so whats the difference?

The difference? Smoking is proven to be unhealthy, so IMO it's ok to ban its promotion. I'd even find it acceptable to ban smoking completely, but that would just bring about black markets and wouldn't help solving the problem.

Alcohol, if consumed responsibly, won't harm you. Unfortunately many Thais drink inresponsibly. Banning promotion of advertising won't prevent the consumption of the home-made poison in Upcountry. It won't stop drunk drivers either.

Taking measures against these two problems would be effective but very hard to realize, given the corruption and laissez-faire attitude of police and authorities.

It's sooo much easier to ban the promotion of alcohol. Hooray, we've solved all problems. Ok, people will still drive drunk. Ok, they can still buy cheap and strong alcohol. But at least we don't see it on TV anymore. What a b_s_.

Whats up guys...feel threatened? They are not proposing a ban on drinking, only advertising. As they do in most western countries.

Not in mine. And besides, the ban on drinking will be next, if you just think of the ridiculous Thai Beverage case...

What's the point? If you want to prevent drunk driving, then check drivers more thoroughly. How come I've never seen the police use breathalyzers here? Instead of cracking down on irresponsible people, now everyone is going to be affected - again.

Edited by salapao

I completely agree with these news proposals and hope the Thai government implements them very soon. I heard no outcry when they cracked down on tobaco advertising so whats the difference? Whats up guys...feel threatened? They are not proposing a ban on drinking, only advertising. As they do in most western countries.

Marty....please, not the same old cracked record stuff, I beg of you.

Water = 0ABV = zero tax

and so on

Are you kidding?

Assuming that with “AVB” you mean “ % alcohol by volume”, this would be a sharp reduction of the current level of excise tax levied in Thailand.

Aside from that, you seem to make the mistake of taking that news story at face value. Like with so many other government policies I suspect an ulterior motive behind this one. Jaapfries has put it very nicely in post #7 of this thread.

A group of persons recently sold the telecommunications branch of its business empire and now there is a huge sum of money looking for a good investment. Could it be that a government policy is being devised to drive the stock price of certain companies down, so that these companies can then be taken over at a low price? Just wondering…

-------------------

Maestro

...They would do better to keep close controls on irresponsible drinkers and revamp the taxation process,” the source said. “Why don’t they prohibit manufacturing entirely?” he said, sarcastically.
Drugdealers are accused to poison our children, in the US, tobaccoconcerns were forced by justice to pay compensation to cancervictims - the same they try with some big fastfoodchains...Why not hold the alcoholindustry responsible for all alcoholrelated B#S# :o .

Patex

I don't know where you come from but here in the UK the flat and warm donkey piss they serve in local pub is between 3 and 4 ABV and locals still find a way to get pissed ! And it is not cheap neither, especially when you drink 10 of these in a night, and 10 is a low estimate...

~R