Visa Extension - Marriage Vs Retirement ?

All,

This topic seems to be bandied about here some now and then, and every time I go for my visa extension based on marriage the Immigration people are always pushing me towards an extension based on retirement rather than based on marriage, even though the outcome is always the same, as I am under age 50.

However, when I do my next extension application (next August) I will have reached that golden age of 50 years, and I am sure they will try to push me that way again.

I understand that the extension based on retirement is easier for Immigration (although it does not seem all that logical that it should be).

My question to the forum is: What advantages and disadvantages do each type of extension present to me as the visa holder?

Thanks in advance for your insights....

Easy to avoid suggestions of retirement extension.

Only show them a bank account with 400k in it.

Advantage only need 400k in the bank, can work with WP, can apply for citizenship (if earning enough and paying Thai tax).

Disadvantage wife can cancel it at any time.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

It is the same thing, but only retirement (as you already pointed out) gets decided by the local office.

The disadvantage and the advantages

Marriage Extension

Advantages:

Instead of putting 800k in a bank account you only have to put 400K

Disadvantage:

3" Inches of Paperwork

Home visits (to prove that the marriage is legit)

Longer application is under consideration period (mine took 2.5 Months)

Retirement

Advantages:

Less paperwork

Under consideration period is usually the same or the next day

Disadvantages

Have to put 800k in a bank account for some periods of time.

To the credit of the folks at Dan Kwian Immigration, they have never really been pushy about it, but they do mention it every time.

My preference, and likely what I will do, is to continue getting the extension based on marrieage. My thinking:

1) Possibility of someday applying for Thai residence and/or citizenship

2) Lower monetary requirements

3) The marriage extension status reflects the reason I am applying for extension. Perhaps this is just semantics, but I like to be accurate....it is an occupational hazard.

4) The possibility (perhaps remote, but nonetheless) that future Thai immigration legislation/rules changes may favor the marriage status.

It is the same thing, but only retirement (as you already pointed out) gets decided by the local office.

The disadvantage and the advantages

Marriage Extension

Advantages:

Disadvantage:

3" Inches of Paperwork

Retirement

Advantages:

Less paperwork

Under consideration period is usually the same or the next day

Disadvantages

Have to put 800k in a bank account for some periods of time.

If you have enough income you don't need to put any money in the bank. For many the retirement visa route is much easier - show income and you get your extension in 10 mins.

Advantages:

Disadvantage:

3" Inches of Paperwork

Or 40K baht income verses 65K baht income.

Certainly not 3 inches of paperwork. It is two sets of paperwork and application and only requires 4 extra documents. Just a few extra copies is all it is plus two pictures of house.

Normal under consideration period is 30 days from permit to stay date. If you go early you just add those days in.

A lot of people don't have the 800K to put in the bank or 65K baht income. So that is a big plus.

Actually the normal time has been in excess of 30 days for the last year at most locations and may require several trips. The extra paperwork is KR3/KR2/Home Register/ID card/Photos together/the wife/proof of living together which may be home inspection/police check of neighbors/requirement to have officials visit immigration on your behalf and up to three sets of everything (one local, one regional and one for Bangkok). Three inches may be an exaggeration but the actual file will quickly become more than that.

That said agree it is not that much of a problem and sure beats having to exit every 90 days after the vacation desire wears off.

Have never had a visit from immigration or police. Only needed two copies one for Ubon and one for Korat.

Just got my extension stamp today exactly 30 days from extension date.

Extension was approved in Korat on the 4th of September (shown on stamp just just below extension stamp).

It appears from posts that it is only extensions for the Bangkok region that are late.

Edit: Not all extensions go to Bangkok anymore (for some time actually). Was informed of this by an immigration officer. Do you think if my extension had to approved in Bangkok it would of been done by the 4th of September after application was made on the 14th of August.

Only those for the Bangkok region go to Bangkok.

Edited by ubonjoe

Here is my history of extensions based on marriage. All were done in Korat.

2008 - first extension, first visit in July, second visit in August, extension of stay to August 2009

2009 - first visit in July, second visit in August, extension of stay to August 2010

2010 - first visit in July, second visit in September, extension of stay to September 2011 (one 'free' month!)

2011 - first visit in August, second visit in October, extension of stay to September 2012

2012 - first visit in August, second visit in October (pending)

I have never had a home visit from police or immigration.