Very Foul Language On The Nation Forum

penzman

I was reading The Nation's headlines online and voted on one of their polls at the bottom of the main page. Once you have voted, you are then taken to this page.

I could not believe what I read on there and that the people responsible for the The Nation's website are allowing such language and VERY rude comments :o

I have not dared to post any of it here as it clearly doesn't belong on this forum.

I have sent them an email ([email protected]) and am waiting to see what their answer will be. I will not read their news again until those remarks are completely removed from their forum :D

You two have never spent any time on Usenet, have you? That's where real freedom of speech happens.

Unfortunately for usenet it seems to go hand in hand with freedom from thinking. :o

Well, you can't have everything :D

Try their search function on the main page and search for sh*t, <deleted> or whatever.

Results 1 - 10 of about 95 for <deleted>

Results 1 - 10 of about 127 for s**t

The words alone don't offend me really, it's the hard hate and racist messages (link in my 1st post on top) that they allow people to post on there...

Very unprofessional from their part as a newspaper.

wow, no holding back on that forum

if the thai posters are for real, then i think the attitude towards falangs is very alarming to say the least.

As a Thai who has lived in America I have nothing against farangs and have quite a few Caucasian friends back in the U.S.

However, in the case of Thailand, I have never seen so many immigrants (farang in this case) complain so much about a country they willingly (and sometimes even desperately) choose to move to. In contrast, the immigrants in the US for example usually talk about how great the US is compared to their old country. It's even more annoying when farang complain about Thai people specifically (and even more so when it comes from someone who wasn't too successful either here or in their home countries).

I think if Thailand made it more difficult for immigrants to move here, they would appreciate it more. For example, in the US immigrants generally need to have a specialized skill that the US is in need of in order to move there, and the available number of H1-B visas is very limited. Also, I have nothing against complaining persay; but if you complain, it would help to provide realistic solutions to the problem.

Edited by gurkle

Wow ... and I thought things got heated in here form time to time.

I am really shocked (and amused ..) by what I just saw there.

you slimeballs complain about our Pla Raa (fermented fish) well smell your gorgonzola feet and anchovy anuses .....

was one of the more imaginative lines.

I'm off to look in my dictionary.

i have taken the liberty of reproducing the offending post here.

//Flame quote deleted - if you want to read go to mentioned website - it does not belong here - lopburi3//

it reads like some spotty teenager let loose on his dads keyboard.

normal schoolyard swearing.

i dont find it alarming or shocking , but agree that such forums should be moderated.

reads like farangs or international school educated thais , i wonder if those responsible ( thais?) at the nation for putting the posts up on the net would fully understand the "subtleties" and true nature of the quotes...... or if they actually read the stuff first.

abusive language , and especially teenage and toilet wall style obscene slang in any language is hard to understand by foriegners.

cant disagree with the gorgonzola feet statement though. :o

Wow ... and I thought things got heated in here form time to time.

I am really shocked (and amused ..) by what I just saw there.

you slimeballs complain about our Pla Raa (fermented fish) well smell your gorgonzola feet and anchovy anuses .....

was one of the more imaginative lines.

I'm off to look in my dictionary.

Reading that particular person's "contribution" to the discussion, I am convinced that he/she is not Thai... just a troll. :o

Is that their forum or simply comments on the poll question? I think forums are moderated and you need to register to post, poll questions are open to everyone.

I read their forums occasionally - they are full of nonsense. There are only a couple of regulars and half of them are dimwits and another half are very predictable, like Nethira who often appears in Nation's letters. Her head is in the right place but why she spends her time in that den of stupidity? I don't know if ozzy Paul is still there.

Back in the late 80s before IRC came along the big meeting place online was the W.E.L.L. (whole earth 'lectronic link). What was supposed to be a place to bring diverse peoples from accross the world was in fact usually a bunch of old foul mouthed hippies flaming each other in ways that would make yor ears bleed had it not been in ugly green type.

A few visits convinced me it wasn't worth the long distance call to California. :o

cv

Gurkle, I agree with some of your comments about 'farang' living in Thailand. Perhaps the removal of the 'back-to-back' tourist visa would ensure that only genuine tourists and those retired, married or gainfully employed in Thailand would help.

However, unlike the US and other countries, Thailand does very little to welcome genuine immigrants to this country. Perhaps if that attitude changed, (and associated rules re land ownership etc), then we 'genuine' immigrants with business and family in Thailand would be more encouraged to embrace this country as our new home.

Simon

Gurkle, I agree with some of your comments about 'farang' living in Thailand. Perhaps the removal of the 'back-to-back' tourist visa would ensure that only genuine tourists and those retired, married or gainfully employed in Thailand would help.

However, unlike the US and other countries, Thailand does very little to welcome genuine immigrants to this country. Perhaps if that attitude changed, (and associated rules re land ownership etc), then we 'genuine' immigrants with business and family in Thailand would be more encouraged to embrace this country as our new home.

Simon

The land ownership rules are in place to protect the Thai people. Since the US has the benefit of a stronger currency, they would quickly price even middle-class Thais out of the market. Just look at Phuket. And I don't see any problem with renting.

The only reason the US allows immigrants to own homes is because the immigrants are coming from poorer countries to the richest country in the world, so there is no risk of the currency exchange rate creating real estate inflation.

The last thing Thailand needs is real estate speculation by foreigners. Americans already do this in their own home country, which has recently led to the creation of a housing bubble and the housing-affordability index to be near an all-time low. This has also resulted in the US having a far higher homeless rate than Thailand despite being the richest country in the world.

Otherwise, I think Thailand has been increasingly opening itself up to immigrants with Thaksin in charge.

Edited by gurkle

Last year the Nation had a little section for teaching Thai to Johnny foreigner. They were teaching words and phrases for Songran festival; and at the bottom they had :

" Song Naam na ai hia ...... (use only with friends) "

Was this a forerunner of what we see today?

Simon

The land ownership rules are in place to protect the Thai people. Since the US has the benefit of a stronger currency, they would quickly price even middle-class Thais out of the market. Just look at Phuket. And I don't see any problem with renting.

The only reason the US allows immigrants to own homes is because the immigrants are coming from poorer countries to the richest country in the world, so there is no risk of the currency exchange rate creating real estate inflation.

The last thing Thailand needs is real estate speculation by foreigners. Americans already do this in their own home country, which has recently led to the creation of a housing bubble and the housing-affordability index to be near an all-time low. This has also resulted in the US having a far higher homeless rate than Thailand despite being the richest country in the world.

Otherwise, I think Thailand has been increasingly opening itself up to immigrants with Thaksin in charge.

Of course there would be a problem if Thailand was completely exposed to real estate speculation - but that does not negate the fact that Thailand is not very welcoming of foreigners wanting to stay here long term - the requirements are set so that only people above a certain income have the ability to gain any foothold, they are forced to pay in 200,000 baht to apply for permanent residency and unless they make significant contributions to the country, they can forget about citizenship.

As a contrast, if you marry a Swede and go to live in Sweden, you are given free language lessons, will automatically qualify for government loans to go on to higher education, and will be given permanent residency and citizenship within about 5 years as a rule. No income requirements, no particular previous education required.

Companies that want to hire foreigners have to subscribe to much stricter regulations than local companies.

These are facts. The question is, which Thais do the laws really protect? The poorest Thais, or the richest ones, far richer than most Westerners, that can now secure all the property they want because of lack of outside competition?

wow, no holding back on that forum

if the thai posters are for real, then i think the attitude towards falangs is very alarming to say the least.

As a Thai who has lived in America I have nothing against farangs and have quite a few Caucasian friends back in the U.S.

However, in the case of Thailand, I have never seen so many immigrants (farang in this case) complain so much about a country they willingly (and sometimes even desperately) choose to move to. In contrast, the immigrants in the US for example usually talk about how great the US is compared to their old country. It's even more annoying when farang complain about Thai people specifically (and even more so when it comes from someone who wasn't too successful either here or in their home countries).

I think if Thailand made it more difficult for immigrants to move here, they would appreciate it more. For example, in the US immigrants generally need to have a specialized skill that the US is in need of in order to move there, and the available number of H1-B visas is very limited. Also, I have nothing against complaining persay; but if you complain, it would help to provide realistic solutions to the problem.

my post was not a complaint , merely an obsevation and comment on what i saw on that particular forum, as a few posters have mentioned it could be trolls trying to get a reaction.

as you are thai would you say the general attitude on that forum is a true reflection of attitudes or just overgrown school kids trying to get noticed.

Last year the Nation had a little section for teaching Thai to Johnny foreigner. They were teaching words and phrases for Songran festival; and at the bottom they had :

" Song Naam na ai hia ...... (use only with friends) "

Was this a forerunner of what we see today?

Goodness... I couldn't imagine any formal professional publication anywhere in the west teaching people phrases that include the word "C*NT" (or a derivation)... not what I would have expected from The Nation!

I see that the poll we are discussing can be accessed by anyone - so the usual result in a completely anonymous "forum" like that is that the results reflect the lowest common denominator - likley the poorest educated and with the least to offer society!

If one has nothing to say but supports an underfed ego (similar to that of an overbearing teenager) - you get this result.

I have faith that the majority of Thais are not as blinkered as the cretins posting on that poll.

Edited by Greer