Horror Story At Customs With Dhl (And Bongo / Bongous.com)

benever

Here's another DHL horror story at customs. I registered specifically to post this and avoid others making the same mistake.

I ordered a package of vitamins/supplements from Amazon, using Bongo (Bongous.com) as a reshipper. Now, these guys only have DHL/Fedex as carriers. At the time I thought, well, it'll get it quicker. Oh the innocence...rolleyes.gif

First package was actually fine. It was around 8 lbs, shipping cost was 70 bucks, value of goods inside around $300. It arrived right at my door in BKK last month, with no problem.

Sweet, I thought, this is working. So much cheaper than buying supplement in Thailand, right?

Emboldened, I ordered a much bigger shipment. Total cost of goods: $950. Shipping with DHL was $185, which already made me shake my head and think I should use another reshipper.

But then this got stopped at customs, probably because it was big/valuable, and I'm now being charged 15,000 bhats to release it.

Still disputing the claims with DHL (they are a nightmare to deal with).

If you have any advice, I'd love to hear it.

I've exchanged a few PMs with TV member CWMcMurray, who is in this biz, and he seems to think I'm screwed and should just pay up and that the rate isn't actually that bad given the situation (I should add that CWMcMurray has been fantastic and super helpful in his replies, thanks again man smile.png )

Anyway, I've done the research now that I should have done in the first place, and the consensus from hours of googling, including on this forum and many others, is:

-NEVER EVER use DHL / Fedex

-ALWAYS use registered USPS mail and break in down in several smaller packages. This almost ensures no problem, except in rare cases

-use a thai name if you can or better still send them a .txt file to print out and stick on the box, that has your address in thai script, so it doesn't look like it's for a falang who can be milked

I actually got lucky with package 1, as there are many examples of guys getting the same issue with smaller packages, using DHL/Fedex.

So far, DHL is not helpful with the issue.

Bongo isn't either, even though I've told them that as a shipping company catering to expats, they are pretty much pushing their unsuspecting customers into the arms of the worst carriers possible for customs duties. They don't seem to know or care.

Buyer beware.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a big shipment of vitamins, why so much? None of that is to be had locally here? Why didn't you break up the orders, especially since you were being charged a bundle in shipping anyways.

Are vitamins that expensive in Thailand? Are they cheaper in any neighboring countries?

I am surprised nobody has set up a website where farang who are coming and going from/to Thailand can agree to carry a product to another farang for a small fee.

Yeah, it was a 4 month supply. There is also a pair of headpones in there that bumps up the price.

I didn't break it up because it wouldn't have made a big difference in shipping, it would have cost me 2 x 90 bucks or 3 x 60...however smaller packages might have slip under the radar better. But there are plenty of stories of small $100-200-300 parcels getting outrageous fines as well with DHL / Fedex. They just shouldn't be used, period, unless your company is paying for it.

Yes, vitamins/supplements are crazy expensive here. Even if I pay the 15,000 bhats I might still be ahead or at least break even compared to buying it all here. Also a lot of stuff just can't be found in Thailand at all.

A website to connect farangs sounds neat on paper, but it's not a big market to set this up for, and then you would have to worry about people using you to smuggle drugs etc. Wouldn't be worth it.

Go and meet the highest position custom official that you can find and 5000 Thb cash should clear the problem.

I've thought about doing that, but don't really know how. Should I ask DHL to put me in touch with customs? Show up to customs myself? Then what? Propose 5000 bhats to the guy over the counter? I'm not very experienced in bribery.

I'm aware of the site Forethat, but prices are usually triple what you can get on amazon. And they don't have a lot of stuff, even pretty basic stuff (L-tyrosine for instance). So no, not helpful, not for me at least. For someone who needs a bottle while on vacations, sure, but if you live here and take a fair amount of supplements, buying in bulk from the US is where it's at. You'll save hundreds a month. You do need to use the right carrier though and avoid customs duties ;)

Edited by benever

I'm aware of the site Forethat, but prices are usually triple what you can get on amazon. And they don't have a lot of stuff, even pretty basic stuff (L-tyrosine for instance). So no, not helpful, not for me at least. For someone who needs a bottle while on vacations, sure, but if you live here and take a fair amount of supplements, buying in bulk from the US is where it's at. You'll save hundreds a month. You do need to use the right carrier though and avoid customs duties wink.png

Triple? Maybe you just need to change batteries in your calculator...?

wai.gif

I'm aware of the site Forethat, but prices are usually triple what you can get on amazon. And they don't have a lot of stuff, even pretty basic stuff (L-tyrosine for instance). So no, not helpful, not for me at least. For someone who needs a bottle while on vacations, sure, but if you live here and take a fair amount of supplements, buying in bulk from the US is where it's at. You'll save hundreds a month. You do need to use the right carrier though and avoid customs duties wink.png

Eehhh....so your idea of comparison is to avoid paying your taxes and when you're caught you come on here and whine about the thing to get help...

Listen, you're confused with regards to what is cheap and what the actual price is.

Eeeeeh no smile.png.. I didn't come to whine but to share an experience. An experience I've learned from. I'm not going to say "hey my second shipment to Thailand failed so I'll just never try again and pay Thailand's extortionate prices forever". As I said, even if I paid the 15K I would still break even anyway. Now, I googled for a few hours and I learned that, by using USPS and breaking it into small $200-or-so packages, it should be fine in 99% of the cases. As many people have reported here after receiving tens of packages.

To give you an idea of cost savings, my first DHL package, that went through, is a basic vitamin supply for 3 month. At 300 bucks. So I spend 100 bucks a month on this, which for me is a bargain. I paid 70 for shipping so cost per month all included is $123 or so. If I bought in Thailand, you can take the shipping out, but cost of goods is double-triple. So take $23 out but multiply 100 by 2 or 3. So I'm saving $80 to $177 a month just on the basic vitamins. If you then plan to add more to that basic stack (and I do), you can double the savings again.

If you are not taking as much as I do, you can order a one year supply of simple multivitamins and fish oil for example, it'll fit in small box, and you'll still save a lot, and buy a better brand than you would here. A quality brand matters for absorption and actual benefits.

Edited by benever

Ok you got me there wink.png the whey is "only" 700 bhats more in the Phuket store. Given the weight of whey and how much it would cost to ship, it might be better to buy that in Thailand. I don't really use whey though so I can't be bothered to calculate if it'd be worth it. I think whey is also available in BKK at these prices (GNC and several pharmacies etc).

But look at their NOW Foods vitamins C for example, it's 600 bhats. On amazon the same thing (100 tabs at 1000mg) is $6.99 or 215 bhats. The same can be said of many products. I looked up several things a few weeks ago and decided it was way too much. If it works for you, awesome. To each his own.

Edited by benever

Ok you got me there wink.png the whey is "only" 700 bhats more in the Phuket store.

But look at their NOW Foods vitamins C for example, it's 600 bhats. On amazon the same thing (100 tabs at 1000mg) is $6.99 or 215 bhats. The same can be said of many products. I looked up several a few weeks ago and decided it was way too much. If it works for you, awesome. To each his own.

I think you're missing my point.

The price is NOT 700 baht more (just add the tax to the price on the amazon-stuff and it's a different ball game)

Do you honestly expect to import stuff without paying tax? You're kidding?

Edited by Forethat

don't let me get started on how much they charge me for my guitar sent from home. calling them pirates is an understatement

Yes, unfortunately the same happened to a friend of mine shipping in 4 guitars. I have carried mine in 1 by 1 on trips to see the family. Safest way.

Sent using my handheld waste of time (no, the other one!!...perverts!!!)

dhl tnt fedex are all the same ,tnt charged me more than 4000 baht, customs duty v.a.t. customs clearance storage , contacted customs , no way not us it was only tnt making money from you. item in package had invoice attached clearly stating value lees than 2500 baht. conmen thats what they are when you question them they blame (unfairly) customs.

I had a problem once with Fed-ex, So I refused to accept the delivery, told them to send it back.

They arrived a few hours later and said no charge. Didnt want to drive all the way back to Bangkok with it, then ship it back to the US I guess.

Lost count of the number of times I have commented to people on this forum to steer well clear of any form of courier, Fed-Ex, UPS DHL etc. The Post Office is just fine for most things.

Edited by CharlieH

don't let me get started on how much they charge me for my guitar sent from home. calling them pirates is an understatement

I know you said not to get your started on this, but.... How much did they charge you, if you don't mind my asking? I understand they charge a 17% tax on guitars, but can't find out for sure if that is based on the actual value of the instrument or some generic formula that customs uses.

A few years ago my wife sent text books back after studying in Aust with some personal items with Fedex and they tried to burn her , it worked out it was not worth her while to get them out . Customs and taxes , she ended up in a big fight with their customs officer as they were not actually new they finally came to an agreement and reduced to total .

It appears to me they have their own customs on site so you might have to ask to speak with the customs staff

I know you said not to get your started on this, but.... How much did they charge you, if you don't mind my asking? I understand they charge a 17% tax on guitars, but can't find out for sure if that is based on the actual value of the instrument or some generic formula that customs uses.

12k+ baht for a old orville les paul. can you imagine that? to be fair there are some used one going about 2 grand or so but those are the early models and at mint condition where as mine is a later model with dings here and there

I've had this twice with DHL and the customs charge was calculated not only from worth of goods but also included shipping. How on earth you can charge a tax on the shipping is beyond me.

I never took it up with them as avoided after that and they were presents, didn't want to risk losing.

But if I were you would threaten to contact DHL headquarters (international) and also try here:

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/contactus/contractus

This is the port but if for air different place presumably they'll have the details.

I've had this twice with DHL and the customs charge was calculated not only from worth of goods but also included shipping. How on earth you can charge a tax on the shipping is beyond me.

I never took it up with them as avoided after that and they were presents, didn't want to risk losing.

But if I were you would threaten to contact DHL headquarters (international) and also try here:

http://www.customs.g...ctus/contractus

This is the port but if for air different place presumably they'll have the details.

It's the same all over the world. You pay customs and taxes on goods VALUE (not declared value!!!) and shipping cost. Learn to tell the difference between taxes and scam.

Some of the posts in relation to taxes and scams in this thread are truly pathetic.