People Medicine For Dog

i wouldgo to the 7.11 and buy a small thing of iodine, that purple stuff, thats great on dogs and us for that matter, put that on mate, its in a little yellow container, your wife/gf will know what im on about,

jake,

ps, some creams do get absorbed through the skin of animals, and the cream you are on about could do damage, not worth the risk, i have given dogs parasetomol but ive cut the tablet up very small, if ide had a lurcher knock a toe up or something,

i wouldgo to the 7.11 and buy a small thing of iodine, that purple stuff, thats great on dogs and us for that matter, put that on mate, its in a little yellow container, your wife/gf will know what im on about,

jake,

ps, some creams do get absorbed through the skin of animals, and the cream you are on about could do damage, not worth the risk, i have given dogs parasetomol but ive cut the tablet up very small, if ide had a lurcher knock a toe up or something,

Whilst that might be okay for dogs. YOU WILL LIKELY KILL A CAT IF YOU GIVE IT PARACETAMOL. Their liver or kidneys (don't remember which) can't handle it and fail. The best advise is to at least consult a vet before administering anything to any animal.

The difference is often in the dose. If you do not know that you may over-dose.

I'm not familiar with topical anti-bacterial/fungal creams meant for humans but used on dogs, as I normally go to the vet when the case arises.

The suggestion of Betadine (rather than iodine) and Gentian violet (the purple stuff) is pretty good, though.

BTW, a dog (or other animal or human for that matter) that shows skin problems or any other health issue should NEVER be vaccinated at that time, no matter if it is due for another vaccination or not!

Vaccinating an animal where the immune system is comprised increases the risk on adverse reactions or the chance that the vaccine doesn't take!

Some suggested reading about vaccines and the chance on adverse reactions:

Why not vaccinate dogs and cats that show any sign of dis-ease: http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/2009/04/29/vaccinating-sick-dogs-cats/

Why vets often do not make the link between vaccines and illness: http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/2011/12/17/why-vets-dont-recognize-vaccine-reactions/

Vets on inadequate education at vet schools on vaccine adverse reactions: http://truth4pets.org/2012/06/vets-on-vaccines/

Small breed dogs at higher risk for adverse reaction from vaccines and why: http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/2009/09/30/vaccinating-small-dogs-risks-vets-arent-revealing/

Rabies vaccine and its side-effects: http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/2008/06/18/20/

Adverse vaccine reactions: http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/Adobe/AdverseVaccReactions.pdf

I tend to follow Dr. Jean Dodds latest vaccine protocol: http://www.weim.net/emberweims/Vaccine.html

But I have Hepatitis and Leptospirosis included as the chance on infection here is much higher than in the States. Nonetheless, for Lepto: a vaccine give protecting for 6 up to 9 months, meaning that if a dog gets 1 vaccination per year it will be unprotected for at least 3 months to 6 months a year. And the chance is high that the vaccine contains the wrong serovar, leaving the dog completely unprotected without the owner knowing it.

wouldnt think twice about doing it,, i have treated 100's of dogs here with human meds, work out the dosage for pills and administer accordingly. If theres a group of people here more cluless than doctors its vets, but they charge twice as much. In a few weeks this dog will be covered in hair, neutered and vaccinated. Anit infalmatries etc will be from a pharmcacy, and if anibiotics needed again from pharmacy.

Obviously cream is less of a problem.

certain drugs DO NOT work on dogs the same as humans, however, usually the reverse is truer... there are things we use on dogs that are not recommended for humans (although have been used: ivermectin being one of them)...

paracetamol is a definate no no; NSAIDS are ok, but the dosage should be as if the dog was a child. \

antihistamne: chloremphen and benadryl... same same. as if dog was a human child (works well on goats also)

creams : vets here prescribe creams and we get them from human pharmacies.: all the anti fungal bacterial and steroidal types. sometimes ive used animal oriented creams for us (vets, farmers and those that work with vets seem to be easier about using animal stuff on themselves..)

augmentin/moxypan/tertracycline/doxicillin/sulfa\ceforal - the list is endless: all are used with dogs. the difference being in that there are injectable LONG LASTING types that can be used since its easier to treat a dog or a horse with one shot rather then getting it to swallow pills every few hours...

polidine (betadine/povidine, whatever) cream (for burns and topical infections) is like magic solution to many ills however, not to be used on a wound that has passed the stage of infection as it inhibits healing. can also be put as a blob in some warm water, make a strong tea coloured solution, great for soaking wounded paws, rotten hooves, etc

saline is the other magic solution for almost everything, can be bought or made (non sterile not for injection), used as a wound wash, cleaning up after injury, etc.

the problem with creams and stuff is that dogs lick stuff off so the effectiveness is limited; i stick honey or peanutbutter on dog's nose after putting on creams/ointments, to keep dog busy frm licking stuff off.. works , try it. (better then covering the wound as often dogs just pull the bandages off).

frankly, we keep all our antibiotice pills (although rarely do we get meds, when we do...) cause the first thing vets usually ask here is 'what do u have in your med cabinet at home', since buying meds is so expensive here.

all of this is good mostly for dogs, some for goats and horses (alhtough for horses dosage has to be for large animals therefore human strenghth jsut doesnt work); i havent a clue about cats...

what was the cream the vet gave? (if the pup has ring worm, then anything with steroids in it is a no no. in which case, the polidine and the anti fungal only would be best, several times a day. and then check your kids and cats also. ) ringworm is a fungas (jock itch athletes foot etc) not a parasite.

hi bina, ive got to disagree with you about the paracetamonl,

i had a lurcher that had to have a back leg cut off, he was the family pet to so we went along with this, i got him home the same day as the operation, at 12am that nite he was waking up in a lot of pain , i dont think the vet expected him to servive because he hadnt given me any pain killers for him, so i rang the vet a good friend to be told give he a quarter of a tablet of paracetamon, not any more else youll do him liver in, and it worked, so im sorry this time ive got to dissagree with you,

betadine, great stuff, like you say good for hoofs, my mum used to have a riding school and breed horses,,lol,

jake

The question posed by this thread is to general to have a complete answer offered here.

Some human medicine have been fine foe our dogs in some situations. And I accept responability for using them because 1) I research as far as aI can their use. 2) We do not have a reliable vet inside an hours' drive of where we live.

I would not discuss my dog's needs with a pharmacist as I would not expect them to know anything about my dog, also I would expect them to refuse to sell you human-drugs for an animal to protect themselves from litergation - yes this is Thailand but they are learning, from 'da movies.

The point about dosage is the main point after considering if the medicine is dog-safe. Some are some are not.

The next level/question that my research has offered is that not all dogs are the same.

Yes in terms of blood donation - dogs are universal in being able to donate to each other - there are other differeances in the physiology between different breeds and when you look at mixed blood dogs the ability to predict in detail becomes less easy.

I'm sure in the case mentioned above where paracetamol was given by one owner that they knew their dog and can see if any medicine is having an adverse reaction. Dose is paramount - and the wise will note down in the dog's medical book (You mean you do not already have one?) along with things like normal body temperature and pulse what the oral antibiotic dose shuld be, related to this thread I would consider if the sore poses a risk of secondary infection and maintain a mild antibiotic 'boost' untill the sore is closed. I have a supply of tetracycline and dose chart for each for our dogs.

When one of our dogs got a nasty sore on his testicals that looked to my eye like a fungal infection I treated it with Canesten cream, it cleared up very quickly - after some on the spot supervision to stop and re-enforce a strict no licking policy !

When I have researched and then used a human drug on a dog I always first give a very small dose to see if there is a reaction.

Also encourage drinking of water, by giving soup-type food if I consider the dog is not drinking enough.

As for injecting medicines I do injections myself - but only as discussed with a vet that lives some distance away with medicines bought from him. I've tested his knowledge by attempting to buy the "wrong" thing before and he will not sell it to me - after this test he gave me a hard stare saying that I was not as stupid as I looked when I explained that I knew it was wrong but wanted to find out if he knew that or was just interested in making a sale.

The administering of vaccines is mentioned above, one point of interest here is that vets will do this by injection into the scruff of the neck....

Have you ever questioned why this is?

Is it for the benifit of the dog?

When there is an adverse reaction to a vacine, the site of injection is likely to suffer the greatest reaction, the scuff of the neck is close to heart/lungs etc so the risk to the dog's life is greater. For things like anti-rabies I inject in the rear leg. Also the rabies dose is standard per dog REGARDLESS of the dog's weight.

It is for this reason that I volenteered for the anti-rabies injection duty when they visit the village every two years, my big dogs get the full dose, our 5 Kg dog gets about a third which I judge to be enough. Yes I have read many sources on this subject and it's a desition about dog health that I make. The person that that is tasked with injecting the village dogs is happy for me to get involved as there is less biting risk to him, and we have to do some nasty creatures - they do get it in the scruff!

For the OP - depending on the sore you are treating I would be happy to use the iodine based solution sold in 7-11 etc, that's a standard response here for minor scraps from fighting etc. Just skin deep injuires. If the sore is open (you can see the skin is missing) then I would look at using Bactroban (the cream is easier to adminiser than the ointment) and prevent the dog licking or laying on the wound such that it gets dirty.

Hope this helps.

Something that dogs tolerate quite well is Benadryl. Dogs do get allergies and bee bites etc. Normal dosage is one mg per pound of dogs weight 3 times daily 8 hours between doses. Maximum doseage is 2 mg per pound. Also useful for travel anxiety, but most dogs like to travel.

Benadryl. Dogs do get allergies and bee bites etc.... Also useful for travel anxiety, but most dogs like to travel.

Worth pointing out "Benadryl" is only a brand name and not the name of the antihistamine drug that can have the effect of inducing a drowsy state in dogs/humans. You need to further investigate the exact content as some drugs sold under the Benadryl name is designed to not induce a drowsy state.

This is an example of a little knowledge being a bad thing.