Anti-Islam Film Protests In Pakistan Turn Violent, At Least 19 Killed

News_Editor

Anti-Islam film protests in Pakistan turn violent, at least 19 killed < br />

2012-09-22 08:58:15 GMT+7 (ICT)

ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN (BNO NEWS) -- At least nineteen people were killed and scores injured across Pakistan as widespread protests against the anti-Islam film turned violent, local media reported Friday.

In the southern port city of Karachi, at least twelve people were confirmed dead with over 110 injured as protesters burnt two banks, five cinemas, as well as a number of shops and vehicles. Protests reached the Chief Minister house where three police vans were also set on fire.

At least two others, including a private TV channel employee, were also killed in Peshawar, the provincial capital of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, where protesters ransacked the Chamber of Commerce and burnt two more cinemas.

Angry demonstrators also clashed with police in several areas of the country's capital, Islamabad. Protesters have been pushing to enter the city's red zone toward the U.S. consulate, but high security measures have used tear gas to disperse the crowds.

Other affected cities include Lahore and Rawalpindi.

The recent widespread protests in the Middle Eastern region have been sparked by a 14-minute English-language trailer for an amateur movie called "Innocence of Muslims," reportedly produced in the state of California by a U.S. citizen . The movie, which cost more than $5 million to make and has 59 actors, depicts Islam's Prophet Muhammad as a fraud and feckless philanderer who approved of child sexual abuse. It also includes other insulting claims.

The fresh violence captured worldwide attention after United States ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and three other diplomats were killed on Tuesday night during an attack against the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi. The attack also injured three other diplomats, and left other people wounded.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-09-22

Are these people ever going to catch up with the modern civilized world? I'm having my doubts.. ermm.gif

My concern is that we don't end up back in time with them.

I am reminded of the old joke that passed around the expat community in Saudi years ago. Some claimed it actually happened.

"A Saudi Arabian airlines flight from Germany was preparing to land in Jeddah.

The pilot came on the speaker system and made the following statement:

"We will soon be landing in Jeddah, where the local time is 2155 and the outside temperature is 35 degrees celcius.

Please reset your watches to the local time and move your calendars back 400 years. "

Are these people ever going to catch up with the modern civilized world? I'm having my doubts.. ermm.gif

My concern is that we don't end up back in time with them.

Are you are saying that you hope the West doesn't respond in the same manner as the extremists?

Inflammatory, baiting posts have been removed. You may want to review this rule before posting:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

You are free to express your opinion about the protests and the film, but please refrain from unnecessarily negative remarks aimed at entire groups of people.

• Like 1

Inflammatory, baiting posts have been removed. You may want to review this rule before posting:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

You are free to express your opinion about the protests and the film, but please refrain from unnecessarily negative remarks aimed at entire groups of people.

Let's leave that to Pakistanis themselves. There are some who escaped to the west who are deeply embarrassed by their leaders. It's a shame that instead of encouraging the voices or reason may westerners cow tow to the most backward elements and try to buy short term favour by cowardly appeasement, which more than anything else could put us in their time machine back to the 7th century.

http://www.thetrueperspective.com/2012/09/when-will-you-stop-shaming-me-pakistan.html

• Like 1

I am always confused as to why they kill each other and destroy their own property as a form of protest.

Natural selection should take care of this anomaly, but do we have the time to wait.

I had those same thoughts when I witnessed riots in Wash.D.C. when the death of M.L.King was announced. I saw lots of people downtown smashing windows in their neighborhoods, stealing TV's, all sorts of stuff, and torching buildings of fellow blacks. When wilderbeest cross a croc-infested river in East Africa, the often panic and kick and gore others of their kind (unintentionally) in their frenzy. Maybe that's one way to look at what's happening in Pakistan.

Another trait of Middle Easterners, which they do year 'round, is shoot guns in the air. They do it when they're happy, they do it when they're angry. Those bullets fall to the ground at high speed. Some hurt children and animals.

Edited by maidu
  • Like 1

The kid in a family who has tantrums (often over the smallest things) is the one who controls the family. He gets all the attention, and the good and decent kids in the family are ignored.

Indians have a saying: "the squeaky wheel gets the most oil" Let's cater to infantile, quick to ever-angry, vengeful, vindictive, thin-skinned rioters. NOT.

for an alternative perspective on their one God, check out this URL.

• Like 2

I am always confused as to why they kill each other and destroy their own property as a form of protest.

Natural selection should take care of this anomaly, but do we have the time to wait.

I had those same thoughts when I witnessed riots in Wash.D.C. when the death of M.L.King was announced. I saw lots of people downtown smashing windows in their neighborhoods, stealing TV's, all sorts of stuff, and torching buildings of fellow blacks.

I was living in Tampa, Florida when they had a little race riot after a cop used a choke hold on some guy wielding a knife and accidentally killed him. People rioted and one woman on TV told the reporter that those people looting don't live in the neighborhood, they just came over to take advantage of the situation to steal. Maybe in some countries they take advantage to kill someone? Or maybe they are just idiots.

The kid in a family who has tantrums (often over the smallest things) is the one who controls the family. He gets all the attention, and the good and decent kids in the family are ignored.

Indians have a saying: "the squeaky wheel gets the most oil" Let's cater to infantile, quick to ever-angry, vengeful, vindictive, thin-skinned rioters. NOT.

for an alternative perspective on their one God, check out this URL.

So how do you deal with a tantrum? We are pandering to the agenda of the spoilt child when we should be demonstrating that his behaviour is counter-productive.

http://www.algemeiner.com/2012/09/23/a-muhammad-cartoon-a-day/