Uk Passport Renewal - Countersignature?

Coming up to renewal time for my UK passport.

I have read all there is to read about applying, where to send (Hong Kong) how long it takes and how much it costs.

The Direct Gov website clearly states

http://www.direct.go...sport/DG_174097

"Who needs to sign it

Usually, only you need to sign it if you are applying to renew your passport.

However, if your appearance is very different from the photo in your current or last passport, you should get your form countersigned at section 10."

I take this as countersignature is not needed on neither the form and the photo unless appearance has changed dramatically.

The 'notes for guidance' for completing the passport application don't appear to make this point explicit. Nor do the notes on the Hong Kong passport office web-site.

Question:

Can anyone with recent renewal experience confirm that their passport was renewed without countersignature?

(Getting anyone 'acceptable' to countersign is a nightmare in the making).

Thanks!

Counter signature is not needed if your appearance has not changed significantly...per what it says on the web site, only time a counter signature is definitely needed is for a child's passport.

So has your apperance changed significantly since your last passport issue ?...if no then dont need the counter signature

11 months ago no countersignature- no problem at all. I was mad at myself with the first batch of pictures I had taken I wore my glasses, then I recalled I didn't wear them in my old passport so back I went for a second set.

Off topic - I ordered the 48 and glad I did on some of the pages some of the stamps bleed (Philippines) onto the next page, I wondered what would happen if I had the 32 page and it looks full just because of the ink.

I recently got my Passport renewed (10 year expiry) in the UK. And I am assuming it will be the same conditions for renewal via HK,which clearly stated a Counter Signature was not necessary,unless your appearance had altered considerably,I received mine back with no problem,having sent the Photo unsigned and also the form unsigned.