British Invasion?

KRS1

Lot's of British, American, Australian banter happening, one thing I have noticed on TV is that there is a good number of Canadians contributing. And with that attempt of keeping slightly on topic I will slide to:

Canadian inventions:

Insulin, Treatment for Diabetes [1921, Frederick Banting, Charles Best]

Telephone [1876, Alexander Graham Bell]

Light Bulb [1874, Henry Woodward, Mathew Evans]

Five Pin Bowling [1908, Thomas F. Ryan]

Wonderbra [1964, Louise Poirier]

Pacemaker [1950, John Hopps, Wilfred Bigelow, John Callaghan]

Robertson Screw, 1908 [Peter Robertson]

Zipper [1913, Gideon Sundback]

Electric Wheelchair [1952, George Klein]

Poutine [1957, Fernand Lachance]

Cobalt-60 "Bomb" Cancer Treatment [1951, Harold Johns]

Java Programming Language [1994, James Arthur Gosling]

Bloody Caesar [1969, Walter Chell]

Canadarm [1975, Spar Aerospace/NRC]

Standard time [1878, Sir Sandford Fleming]

Electron Microscope [1939, James Hillier, Albert Prebus]

Ski-Doo [1922, Armand Bombardier]

BlackBerry [1999, Mike Lazaridis]

Radio Voice Transmission [1900, Reginald Fessenden]

Birchbark Canoe [First Peoples]

Basketball [1892, James Naismith]

Retractable Beer Carton Handle [1957, Steve Pasjack]

UV Degradable Plastics [1971, James Guillet]

Instant Replay [1955, CBC's Hockey Night in Canada]

Goalie Mask [1959, Jacques Plante]

Marquis Wheat [1908, Sir Charles Saunders]

Pablum [1930, Alan Brown, Theodore Drake, Frederick Tisdall]

Lacrosse [First Peoples]

Electric Oven [1892, Thomas Ahearn]

Steam Fog Horn [1853, Robert Foulis]

Walkie-Talkie [1942, Donald L. Hings]

Alkaline Long-Lasting Battery [1959, Lewis Urry]

Paint roller [1940, Norman Breakey]

Electronic Music Synthesizer [1945, Hugh Le Caine]

WeeVac 6 [1990, Wendy Murphy]

Green Garbage Bag [1950, Harry Wasylyk, Larry Hansen, Frank Plomp]

Snowblower [1925, Arthur Sicard]

Self-propelled Combine Harvester [1937, Thomas Carroll]

Instant Mashed Potatoes [1962, Edward Asselbergs]

Explosives Vapour Detector [1985, Lorne Elias]

Marine Screw Propeller [1833, John Patch]

Plexiglas [1931, William Chalmers]

Key Frame Animation [1969, Nestor Burtnyk, Marcelli Wein]

CPR Mannequin: "ACTAR 911" [1989, Dianne Croteau, Richard Brault]

G-Suit [1941, Wilbur Rounding Franks]

Ardox Spiral Nail [1954, Allan Dove]

Automatic Lubricating Cup [1872, Elijah McCoy]

Crash-Position Indicator-CPI [1957, Harry Stevinson]

Caulking Gun [1894, Theodore Witte]

Separable Baggage Check [1882, John Mitchell Lyons

1827, Czech-Austrian inventor Josef Ressel had invented a screw propeller which had multiple blades fastened around a conical base. He had tested his propeller in February 1826 on a small ship that was manually driven. He was successful in using his bronze screw propeller on an adapted steamboat (1829). His ship "Civetta" (48 BRT) reached a speed of about six knots (11 km/h).

Looks like John Patch had the idea firstunsure.png

John Patch ~ Uncredited Inventor of the Screw Propeller

Born: 1781 in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia - Died: 1861 in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia

John Patch was a sailor and fisherman in the Yarmouth area of Nova Scotia. One day, while watching a small boat being manoeuvered with a single oar, he came up with the idea for a device which would allow steamships to travel without need of large, inefficient paddlewheels or wind-dependent sails. It would be thirty years before he would see his idea become reality.

During the winter of 1832-3, Patch developed and built the screw propeller, a wooden shaft with two "fans" at the end. Robert and Nathan Butler, friends of Patch, helped him by building a hand crank and wooden gears to be used with the device. Throughout the summer of 1833, Patch tested his invention in Yarmouth Harbour and, in 1834, Captain Robert Kelley agreed to put it on his 25-ton ship, the Royal George. On a subsequent trip to Saint John, the wind died, leaving other sailing vessels stranded, but the Royal George carried on. The propeller was a success.

Well if you are going to talk ideas, Archimedes screw 1st century BC.

• Like 1

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I may be wrong about the distance thing. I was just talking to some Aussie tourists once and they were telling me about how many times they were coming to Thailand. It was explained to me that they went because, partly, because with the costs of a vacation (hotel rooms, food, etc.) in Aussie, it was cheaper to come to Thailand than to go on a vacation in their own country.

You need to come to Aus and then you will understand about distances. We are a Island Continent and like for myself when i go to do weekly shopping i drive 42km , 26 miles and that is normal for many Aussies so 9 hours is nothing just sleep on the way. It's like a trip to visit relly's! And <deleted> yeah so much cheaper than hollidaying here :)

I think Aussies are great, really sound blokes, good sense of humour. However, you have to advertise a bit better before people come to visit.

post-76988-0-08357600-1348581996_thumb.j

And the Americans as well, great people, got us out of trouble a few times even though they were a bit late on occassion. I really don't want to hurt your feelings, or degrade this thread (as everyone is being nice), but Asia (below) is not as you see it.........:)

post-76988-0-00666600-1348582296_thumb.j

IMHO of course...

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 2

^^

The Pigeon who loved me

The Man with the Golden Pigeon

(James Bond Themeing)

From Pigeon with Love

The Pigeon is not enough

Pigeons are forever

Thunderpigeon

"... and thanks the Lord that cows can't fly"

Pigeonraker

Mission Impigeonable

SC

Its all the pigeons that alight

On Nelson's hat, that make it white

EDIT:And my 30 seconds' research came up with this, the #1 video on youtube in the pigeon-racing category

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

How do you tell the difference between a British Police Officer, an Australian Police Officer and an American Police Officer?

Pose the following question: You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, a dangerous looking man with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and charges. You are carrying a Glock 40, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?

UK POLICE OFFICER'S ANSWER

Well, that's not enough information to answer the question! Does the man look poor or oppressed? Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack? Could we run away? What does my wife think? What about the kids?

Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand? What does the law say about this situation? Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it? Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children?

Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me? Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me? If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me? Should I call 999?

Why is this street so deserted? We need to raise taxes, have paint and weed days and make this a happier, healthier street that would discourage such behaviour. If I raise my gun and he turns and runs away, do I get blamed when he falls over running away, knocks his head and kills himself?

If I shoot him, and lose the court case does he have the opportunity to sue me, cost me my job, my credibility and I will lose my family home?

AUSTRALIAN OFFICER'S ANSWER

BANG!

AMERICAN OFFICER'S ANSWER

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! Click... (Sounds of reloading) BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! Click.

Daughter: "Nice grouping, Dad! Were those the Winchester Silver Tips?"

Sadly very true from the Uk perspective, shoot first ask later, i prefer it

How do you tell the difference between a British Police Officer, an Australian Police Officer and an American Police Officer?

Pose the following question: You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children. Suddenly, a dangerous looking man with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and charges. You are carrying a Glock 40, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?

Well, that's not enough information to answer the question! Does the man look poor or oppressed? Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack? Could we run away? What does my wife think? What about the kids?

Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand? What does the law say about this situation? Does the Glock have appropriate safety built into it? Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children?

Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me? Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me? If I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while he was stabbing me? Should I call 999?

Why is this street so deserted? We need to raise taxes, have paint and weed days and make this a happier, healthier street that would discourage such behaviour. If I raise my gun and he turns and runs away, do I get blamed when he falls over running away, knocks his head and kills himself?

If I shoot him, and lose the court case does he have the opportunity to sue me, cost me my job, my credibility and I will lose my family home?

BANG!

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! Click... (Sounds of reloading) BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! Click.

Get your facts right. I don't believe there has ever been a case of an armed British police officer being shot. On the contrary all the evidence is that armed British police officers do shoot first and ask questions later. You could always ask the family of Jean Charles de Menezes.

"....Just after Menezes entered a train, several officers wrestled him to the ground and fired seven bullets into his head at point blank range. "

Pity that they had wrongly identified a totally innocent train passenger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Jean_Charles_de_Menezes

"....shoot first ask later, i prefer it "

Well does that apply to you too, would you prefer it if they shot you and then asked later if they got it right ? whistling.gif

Edited by roamer
  • Like 1

^^

The Pigeon who loved me

The Man with the Golden Pigeon

(James Bond Themeing)

From Pigeon with Love

The Pigeon is not enough

Pigeons are forever

Thunderpigeon

"... and thanks the Lord that cows can't fly"

Pigeonraker

Mission Impigeonable

SC

Its all the pigeons that alight

On Nelson's hat, that make it white

EDIT:And my 30 seconds' research came up with this, the #1 video on youtube in the pigeon-racing category

whats wrong with the three of ya?

nevermind i know the answer to that...biggrin.png

BANG!

Get your facts right. I don't believe there has ever been a case of an armed British police officer being shot. On the contrary all the evidence is that armed British police officers do shoot first and ask questions later. You could always ask the family of Jean Charles de Menezes.

"....Just after Menezes entered a train, several officers wrestled him to the ground and fired seven bullets into his head at point blank range. "

Well does that apply to you too, would you prefer it if they shot you and then asked later if they got it right ? whistling.gif

That incident was a one off when the muslims were suicide bombing London, hundreds killed or maimed!

The pressure was on and unfortunately one incident has to reflect badly on the police, but what about the thousands of incidents that happen worldwide that you never here about so you can sleep safely in your bed. Yet you prefer to harp on about one negative incident, sweet dreams.

How about Harry Stanley? Shot dead because he was Irish and carrying a table leg in a plastic bag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Harry_Stanley

Ian Tomlinson?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Ian_Tomlinson

Blair Peach?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blair_Peach

The Met are thugs.

Fair enough, their not perfect but they are a lot better than most forces around the world.

If Americans call British people pussies for drinking tea, shouldn't that give British people the right to call them idiots for not being able to tell the difference between a bird, a plane and superman?

maybe we cant see that well at a distance, but atleast we can tell who clark kent really is without his glasses.

If Americans call British people pussies for drinking tea, shouldn't that give British people the right to call them idiots for not being able to tell the difference between a bird, a plane and superman?

maybe we cant see that well at a distance, but atleast we can tell who clark kent really is without his glasses.

I'm sorry but how can you call us pussies when the great American hero is a man who hangs around in phone boxes and changes his underwear in public? laugh.png

• Like 2

While living in the states I constantly got free access to night clubs etc by showing the front page message to the security never failed to get you in free got to love the yanks and there love for the queen

This wasn't in San Francisco?

Lot's of British, American, Australian banter happening, one thing I have noticed on TV is that there is a good number of Canadians contributing. And with that attempt of keeping slightly on topic I will slide to:

Canadian inventions:

Insulin, Treatment for Diabetes [1921, Frederick Banting, Charles Best]

Telephone [1876, Alexander Graham Bell]

Light Bulb [1874, Henry Woodward, Mathew Evans]

Five Pin Bowling [1908, Thomas F. Ryan]

Wonderbra [1964, Louise Poirier]

Pacemaker [1950, John Hopps, Wilfred Bigelow, John Callaghan]

Robertson Screw, 1908 [Peter Robertson]

Zipper [1913, Gideon Sundback]

Electric Wheelchair [1952, George Klein]

Poutine [1957, Fernand Lachance]

Cobalt-60 "Bomb" Cancer Treatment [1951, Harold Johns]

Java Programming Language [1994, James Arthur Gosling]

Bloody Caesar [1969, Walter Chell]

Canadarm [1975, Spar Aerospace/NRC]

Standard time [1878, Sir Sandford Fleming]

Electron Microscope [1939, James Hillier, Albert Prebus]

Ski-Doo [1922, Armand Bombardier]

BlackBerry [1999, Mike Lazaridis]

Radio Voice Transmission [1900, Reginald Fessenden]

Birchbark Canoe [First Peoples]

Basketball [1892, James Naismith]

Retractable Beer Carton Handle [1957, Steve Pasjack]

UV Degradable Plastics [1971, James Guillet]

Instant Replay [1955, CBC's Hockey Night in Canada]

Goalie Mask [1959, Jacques Plante]

Marquis Wheat [1908, Sir Charles Saunders]

Pablum [1930, Alan Brown, Theodore Drake, Frederick Tisdall]

Lacrosse [First Peoples]

Electric Oven [1892, Thomas Ahearn]

Steam Fog Horn [1853, Robert Foulis]

Walkie-Talkie [1942, Donald L. Hings]

Alkaline Long-Lasting Battery [1959, Lewis Urry]

Paint roller [1940, Norman Breakey]

Electronic Music Synthesizer [1945, Hugh Le Caine]

WeeVac 6 [1990, Wendy Murphy]

Green Garbage Bag [1950, Harry Wasylyk, Larry Hansen, Frank Plomp]

Snowblower [1925, Arthur Sicard]

Self-propelled Combine Harvester [1937, Thomas Carroll]

Instant Mashed Potatoes [1962, Edward Asselbergs]

Explosives Vapour Detector [1985, Lorne Elias]

Marine Screw Propeller [1833, John Patch]

Plexiglas [1931, William Chalmers]

Key Frame Animation [1969, Nestor Burtnyk, Marcelli Wein]

CPR Mannequin: "ACTAR 911" [1989, Dianne Croteau, Richard Brault]

G-Suit [1941, Wilbur Rounding Franks]

Ardox Spiral Nail [1954, Allan Dove]

Automatic Lubricating Cup [1872, Elijah McCoy]

Crash-Position Indicator-CPI [1957, Harry Stevinson]

Caulking Gun [1894, Theodore Witte]

Separable Baggage Check [1882, John Mitchell Lyons

1827, Czech-Austrian inventor Josef Ressel had invented a screw propeller which had multiple blades fastened around a conical base. He had tested his propeller in February 1826 on a small ship that was manually driven. He was successful in using his bronze screw propeller on an adapted steamboat (1829). His ship "Civetta" (48 BRT) reached a speed of about six knots (11 km/h).

Looks like John Patch had the idea firstunsure.png

John Patch ~ Uncredited Inventor of the Screw Propeller

Born: 1781 in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia - Died: 1861 in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia

John Patch was a sailor and fisherman in the Yarmouth area of Nova Scotia. One day, while watching a small boat being manoeuvered with a single oar, he came up with the idea for a device which would allow steamships to travel without need of large, inefficient paddlewheels or wind-dependent sails. It would be thirty years before he would see his idea become reality.

During the winter of 1832-3, Patch developed and built the screw propeller, a wooden shaft with two "fans" at the end. Robert and Nathan Butler, friends of Patch, helped him by building a hand crank and wooden gears to be used with the device. Throughout the summer of 1833, Patch tested his invention in Yarmouth Harbour and, in 1834, Captain Robert Kelley agreed to put it on his 25-ton ship, the Royal George. On a subsequent trip to Saint John, the wind died, leaving other sailing vessels stranded, but the Royal George carried on. The propeller was a success.

Well if you are going to talk ideas, Archimedes screw 1st century BC.

Well Ephialtes screwed the greeks long before that

BANG!

That incident was a one off when the muslims were suicide bombing London, hundreds killed or maimed!

The pressure was on and unfortunately one incident has to reflect badly on the police, but what about the thousands of incidents that happen worldwide that you never here about so you can sleep safely in your bed. Yet you prefer to harp on about one negative incident, sweet dreams.

Maybe if you put the Chang down long enough..... you totally missed the point. I was arguing that far from having a "wait and see" approach as was suggested, armed Met officers are very decisive, sometimes wrongly as in the above instance. And the suggestion that " "....shoot first ask later, i prefer it " is a sensible approach would be totally rejected by anyone who carries a gun in the Met. However they certainly don't err on the side of caution.

" Yet you prefer to harp on about one negative incident, sweet dreams."

You just don't get it, as Endure pointed out, and I could point out a lot more, there is a lot more than one negative incident. I think that's a great line though, "negative incident"

Sorry Mum, I won't be coming home , I've had a negative incident. smile.png

Why is it that Americans are quite willing to accept an alien from outerspace that wears blue pyjamas and a red cape as an All American superhero. But they won't accept that their own President is actually American.

• Like 1

Why is it that Americans are quite willing to accept an alien from outerspace that wears blue pyjamas and a red cape as an All American superhero. But they won't accept that their own President is actually American.

Weren't no black guys in comics when they were growing up. smile.png

Sadly, yanks are infamous for their poor sense of geography. Many probably think Krypton is one of those islands off the coast of Switzerland. blink.png

November 2001: I'm on a bus in a US city, I get into conversation with the woman sitting next me. She asks "why are we invading Argentina?" Not kidding.

• Like 1

Sadly, yanks are infamous for their poor sense of geography. Many probably think Krypton is one of those islands off the coast of Switzerland. blink.png

November 2001: I'm on a bus in a US city, I get into conversation with the woman sitting next me. She asks "why are we invading Argentina?" Not kidding.

I hope this wasn't recently. I would say, strong on Geography but weak on Current Affairs. Probably just showing of to the others that she new about Argentina!

I hope this wasn't recently. I would say, strong on Geography but weak on Current Affairs. Probably just showing of to the others that she new about Argentina!

Need to change the title of the thread. Brits still think Americans are stupid. It is nice to see even 250 years does not change some things.smile.png