British Invasion?

KRS1

I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread!

Its nice that we can take the piss out of each other (Brits and Americans), mainly with humour.

Oh, for a sense of humour...

Maybe I should ask the Wizard of Oz

David48

Platinum Member

• photo-104736.gif?_r=1341229070
  • Advanced Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 3,139 posts

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, yanks are infamous for their poor sense of geography. Many probably think Krypton is one of those islands off the coast of Switzerland. blink.png

November 2001: I'm on a bus in a US city, I get into conversation with the woman sitting next me. She asks "why are we invading Argentina?" Not kidding.

Whilst standing in awe near the foot of the Great Wall of China one day some years ago, I was forced to overhear a comment made by a 20-something guy in an unmistakably American accent: "Is there anything else out here or is it just the wall?".

I shan't comment further.

while we are on the topic...

great write-up in the bbc today on "Britishisms" invading the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19670686

I think if you Brits want to blame someone for a lot of the spelling differences...look no further than Noah Webster!

Anyways, I did learn two words I never knew before that had to be translated by my Brit colleague; "peckish" and "gormless"...fascinating stuff.

• Like 1

@ roamer

How double dare you tell me to relinquish the grip on my Chang.

On the whole the UK police are the best force in the world, yes they have their "negative incidents".Would you rather them be like the Thai police or Chinese? Zimbabwian ? Brazilian? Yes! everyone likes to slag them of, even i'm not their best fan at times but i'd rather have sweet dreams at night than a restless night waiting for intruders with a pump action in my bed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19670686

I think if you Brits want to blame someone for a lot of the spelling differences...look no further than Noah Webster!

Anyways, I did learn two words I never knew before that had to be translated by my Brit colleague; "peckish" and "gormless"...fascinating stuff.

You're avin a giraffe.

Try UK regional slang terminologies as well if you really want to get confused.

Edited by Chittychangchang
  • Like 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-19670686

And another few for you.... "Pillock", "gobshite".

"gormless"...fascinating stuff.

All me to use this word in context for you.... usually gormless b*stard or gormless <deleted>

dont worry, my colleague from liverpool has already put them in several sentences for me and given a bit of lesson on the proper time and place to use them, haha.. but now I have to ask him about the last two soutpeel...will report back

Whilst standing in awe near the foot of the Great Wall of China one day some years ago, I was forced to overhear a comment made by a 20-something guy in an unmistakably American accent: "Is there anything else out here or is it just the wall?".

I shan't comment further.

'twas the great American statesman/philosopher Richard Nixon who, upon seeing the Great Wall of China, made the bold comment "it truly is a great wall."

Watching the TV show The Amazing Race (see what happens when you don't have cable?) the contestants were off to Taiwan. Asked how he felt about being en route to the place, one lad said "it'll be great! I have lots of Thai friends and I love Thai food!"

Speaking of teeth, The Beatles struck it rich in 1964. George Harrison didn't get his teeth fixed until 1976.

That's Irish

ok...well ive learned the "giraffe" bit is just cockney for "havin a laugh",

and

pillock = idiot

gobshite = i was told this is very negative, basically you think someone is, pardon my American English, a piece of shit.

Nah, it can mean that he is a bit of an idiot, it's normally used in a friendly way if someone does something silly

Edited by I Like Thai

That's Irish

A used a lot in Liverpool as well..biggrin.png

and

pillock = idiot

gobshite = i was told this is very negative, basically you think someone is, pardon my American English, a piece of shit.

Nah, it can mean that he is a bit of an idiot, it's normally used in a friendly way if someone does something silly

Its actually a bit stronger than that...it can also mean someone is a bullsh*iter..... Gob (mouth) Sh*te (Sh*t)

and

pillock = idiot

Its actually a bit stronger than that...it can also mean someone is a bullsh*iter..... Gob (mouth) Sh*te (Sh*t)

Like most terms, it all depends on the context it is used. Us Irish people are a friendly bunch, so it would be rarer that we would use it nastily.

Father Jack would never use it in in this way

• Like 2

@ roamer

How double dare you tell me to relinquish the grip on my Chang.

On the whole the UK police are the best force in the world, yes they have their "negative incidents".Would you rather them be like the Thai police or Chinese? Zimbabwian ? Brazilian? Yes! everyone likes to slag them of, even i'm not their best fan at times but i'd rather have sweet dreams at night than a restless night waiting for intruders with a pump action in my bed.

No on second thoughts your probably better of on the Chang biggrin.png . Actually to quote Alfred Hitchcock, " I'm not against the police, I'm just afraid of them "

• Like 1

I want to see some Ashes talk on here.....or why Aussies are geographically better placed for Thailand?

Its 12 hrs from the UK and 10 from Oz....its hardly a quick hop to Nice for the weekend....

Until recently I thought it was only 6 hours to Australia but just been told,

Bali doesn't belong to Australia whistling.gif

Not too keen on American writing. Seams just not "propper" english althoug I do like "Fanny Bag" sounds somehow less gay than bumbag coffee1.gif

For those of British origin,who, having read and contributed to this thread and who continue in the prejudiced and unwholesome belief that Americans are all farm boys disguised as millionaires, I offer below an incontestable proof of American intelligence :

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin

• Like 1

For those of British origin,who, having read and contributed to this thread and who continue in the prejudiced and unwholesome belief that Americans are all farm boys disguised as millionaires, I offer below an incontestable proof of American intelligence :

e by gum warm pint ov bitter or sum hang glider on a Saturday, nothin less than ten pints mind, not those piddly sceptic tank bottles of icy pop.

Must have got it off his dad who was English... rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I love the way different accents have the power to make you feel and think different things.

For example, when I hear an Australian accent, I think of beaches and BBQ's

When I hear an Italian accent, I think of great food.

And, when I hear an Indian accent, I think I'm about to be put on hold.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

this is yorkshire writing,,lol, and ill tell you what it says in a couple of more posts if you dont get it,ok,

cdemderamydemdersrdonkeysrdrdrrdlrdr

2 posts for the answer,

jake

yyuryyubyyuryy4me (but I'm just a simple Lincolnshire Yellowbelly) biggrin.png

Edited by Rob8891
  • Like 1

I love the way different accents have the power to make you feel and think different things.

For example, when I hear an Australian accent, I think of beaches and BBQ's

When I hear an Italian accent, I think of great food.

And, when I hear an Indian accent, I think I'm about to be put on hold.

I am thinking you are being very racist there and deep offence I am taking

(where's the bobbling head smiley when you need it?)

SC

• Like 1

this is yorkshire writing,,lol, and ill tell you what it says in a couple of more posts if you dont get it,ok,

2 posts for the answer,

jake

This is a Etonian interpretation of the above...I say old chap those donkeys over there belong to Madges boys anybody for tea and tiffen then a spot of rodgering, jolly good show. What, what, what...

2 posts for the answer,

jake

You're from Yorkshire? That explains a lot! You can tell a Yorkshireman - but not much! tongue.pngbiggrin.png