Buying A Big Flat Screen Tv In Chiang Mai

westbounder

I just bought another LCD tv at Siam TV, their prices are in the same ballpark with Big C etc. They deliver and set up and I have never had a service problem. I had an appliance fail one time, returned it in the box and they replaced it. Having said that, there are probably some people who haven't had as good an experience with them.

love the Samsungs (42" & 55") I bought from Siam TV, be careful about paying by credit card as they have a bit of a scam going on (see previous post). LED pic is my fav, you might want to reconsider about HD as more stations are broadcasting and I'm sure even more in the future and it's makes a considerable difference (not sure about DVDs as my Tv's are HD) but I'd expect lots if not most are by now.

Samsung LED is way to go. I did NOT want 3D but did want a TV for playing movies off HDD. Samsung (Smart TV with wifi) from HomePro beat Siam TV by a whisker on special, so check around.

2 months on you could prise me away from the Samsung... and playing movies direct from HDD was never easier! Love it ... TrueVisions can go at end of 6 month contract.

LG is is good but not quite up there with Samsung and Sony. Sony model I liked was NOT compatible with movies off HDD.

I agree Siam TV is probably the best choice to shop.... LED is whats happening these days... I want a 3D but until more media is available I'll just stay with LED... As far as Samsung playing from a HDD, forget it as Samsung is not setup t play all formats. I use my PC, VLC and a HDMI cable..... then you're good to go.

1 more note.

At airport plaza top floor in Robinsons they have a power buy

in the far corner they sell out their displays with full warrenty

I have seen 60 and 72 inchers for under 25,000 Bt.

72 Inches under 25.000 Baht?Must have been in a wet dream. since the cheapest 72 inch available in Thailand is 299.000 Baht

I bought mine at Siam. They delivered it and set it up. I got a Toshiba because I liked the salesman. He did not try to jerk me around. He told me for sports the Plasma was the best for all around LCD was a good set and for the best quality LED was the way to go. I got the LED and am quite happy with it. I am not a big sports fan so I passed the Plasma up even though it was considerably cheaper.

Hard to say which has the best picture. You can look at two identical sets side by side and see a difference in the picture. One other thing you might want to consider is the sound unless you already have speakers.

Some one said some thing about wait 6 months and the price will go down. Can't honestly say that but it does seem to be the way it has been happening.

I bought mine at Siam. They delivered it and set it up. I got a Toshiba because I liked the salesman. He did not try to jerk me around. He told me for sports the Plasma was the best for all around LCD was a good set and for the best quality LED was the way to go. I got the LED and am quite happy with it. I am not a big sports fan so I passed the Plasma up even though it was considerably cheaper.

Hard to say which has the best picture. You can look at two identical sets side by side and see a difference in the picture. One other thing you might want to consider is the sound unless you already have speakers.

Some one said some thing about wait 6 months and the price will go down. Can't honestly say that but it does seem to be the way it has been happening.

An LED is basically an LCD with a slightly different way of how the light is projected.With the edge LED the light is projected from the edges of the panel,while with an LCD the light source is behind the panel.The biggest advantage of edge LED is that it has less power consumption.Most probably on the box of your LED screen was also written LCD-LED TV.

There is also a different version of LED screens which are back lighted,and which should give better blacks than Plasma, however they are very expensive and I'm not sure if they are currently available in Thailand.

Samsung had them a few years ago and that would have been the 900 series.

And yes flat screens are reducing in price every week, since it cost next to nothing to produce them, same as with mobile phones. It is the research that you are paying for, so the more panels that have been sold the less research cost is included in the price.

An LED is basically an LCD with a slightly different way of how the light is projected.With the edge LED the light is projected from the edges of the panel,while with an LCD the light source is behind the panel.The biggest advantage of edge LED is that it has less power consumption.

A correction on this. An LCD is also edge lit but uses fluorescent tubes as the light source. LED's also are edge lit but of course use LEDs as the lighting source. The other type, which I believe you alluded to, is OLED or organic light emitting diodes where, as with plasma, each pixel is it's own light source. Saw a demonstration on a website of a large screen OLED prototype and all reviewers were wowed by it. But very expensive until it becomes mainstream. Just a small 19" was in the thousands of dollars.

The 72" comment also puzzled me and suspect he saw DLP projection TVs as that is the only type in Thailand of that size.

An LED is basically an LCD with a slightly different way of how the light is projected.With the edge LED the light is projected from the edges of the panel,while with an LCD the light source is behind the panel.The biggest advantage of edge LED is that it has less power consumption.

A correction on this. An LCD is also edge lit but uses fluorescent tubes as the light source. LED's also are edge lit but of course use LEDs as the lighting source. The other type, which I believe you alluded to, is OLED or organic light emitting diodes where, as with plasma, each pixel is it's own light source. Saw a demonstration on a website of a large screen OLED prototype and all reviewers were wowed by it. But very expensive until it becomes mainstream. Just a small 19" was in the thousands of dollars.

The 72" comment also puzzled me and suspect he saw DLP projection TVs as that is the only type in Thailand of that size.

Thanks for the correction regarding the LCD, but I'm afraid I've to adjust you a little.

The " old " lcd screens indeed use tubes as light source but are in fact backlit.Then in LED you have 2 versions, 1 the edge lit which you will find in the regular stores in Thailand and will replace regular lcd over time in my opinion and secondly the Full Array LED's which use Led's to backlit the panel.These give a big advantage in picture quality over regular lcd and Led-Lcd but are also more expensive.

This might explain it a bit better http://en.wikipedia....lit_LCD_display

The Oled you mentioned is yet another thing, and actually a thing of the future as I think about 19" is the biggest that is produced currently.

I have also read about the research of a Carbon TV panel which would be as thin as a piece of paper, but can't find much about currently http://www.carbontv.com/

LG has currently 2 LED 72" panels available for the Thai market but both are priced at 299.990 Baht. http://www.lcdtvthai...spec-result.asp

I saw a year ago a Panasonic 73" at Paragon Bangkok, but I thought the price was something close to half a million Baht.According to Lcd TV Thailand it is currently not available anymore.

Oh and by the way, you notice in my avatar that my brain finally works biggrin.png

Edited by jbrain

and by the way, you notice in my avatar that my brain finally works biggrin.png

Actually I was working on that issue but didn't comment as assumed, as most avatar problems, it was an ISP caching issue which takes from hours to days for the cache to refresh. Thai ISPs don't seem to set there cache TTL properly.

Here is the OLED that I mentioned. 55" LG and possible availability this year or 2013. Seems another site mentioned around $7,000USD estimated price. Of course Thailand, who knows? 4mm thin, thinner than a tablet computer and around 6kG!

and by the way, you notice in my avatar that my brain finally works biggrin.png

Actually I was working on that issue but didn't comment as assumed, as most avatar problems, it was an ISP caching issue which takes from hours to days for the cache to refresh. Thai ISPs don't seem to set there cache TTL properly.

Here is the OLED that I mentioned. 55" LG and possible availability this year or 2013. Seems another site mentioned around $7,000USD estimated price. Of course Thailand, who knows? 4mm thin, thinner than a tablet computer and around 6kG!

I had noticed that you were working on it,thanks.

Oled looks nice indeed but yeah who knows, however I noticed on my last trip to Europe that flatscreens are here cheaper than in Europe.No idea how the prices compare to the US.

Anyway, I have 60" in my livingroom currently and the cheapest 60" have come down to around 35000 Baht which means there is a big market for this size, so untill they produce Oled in a bigger size than that it would be of not much interest I guess.

No one mentioned this but although plasmas are cheaper they use more electricity and produces quite a bit of heat.

I would go LED the the contrast are generally brighter making your blacks blacker.

Plasma black levels and contrast levels are rated the highest of the technologies and by a wide margin by nearly every review and testing site. The LEDs are generally brighter so good in brightly lit rooms. LEDs have much narrower viewing angles than plasma so if you have a lot of people watching spread around plasma works better. Plasma power technology has improved a lot and is not really an operational cost issue anymore. Yes, they do produce more surface heat.

• Like 1

I agree Siam TV is probably the best choice to shop.... LED is whats happening these days... I want a 3D but until more media is available I'll just stay with LED... As far as Samsung playing from a HDD, forget it as Samsung is not setup t play all formats. I use my PC, VLC and a HDMI cable..... then you're good to go.

Really...?whistling.gif I've thrown my HDMI cable away as direct off HDD is far superior and easier ... as far as file extensions ... here's the list recognised:- avi, mkv, asf, wmv, mp4, 3gp, vro, mpg, mpeg, dvx, mov, and 6 others I never heard of!

We've been watching downloaded HD movies nightly. A Seagate or WD portable 1TB HDD @ 3000bt can run via USB with no additional power supply or cable. Samsung remote does everything, pause, play, step etc.... still looking for the REWIND button tho coffee1.gif

I agree Siam TV is probably the best choice to shop....

..but not necessarily the best value. Try Niyom Panich... better deals for the same stuff. (i'm a customer of both shops)

I also like Niyom Panich

Not just for appliances but also scooters/bikes

The branch near airport plaza has a great service center for bikes with large waiting room

& their bikes are always at least 500+ THB less ( for cash ) than any other dealers.

Edited by mania

I would never buy a Samsung TV again. They are junk. I've had mine repaired about 7 times since I bought it new from Niyom Pannich in 2008. Most repairs were still under warranty but come on... I've owned Sony's for years (including one I bought at the same time as the Samsung) and never a single repair. Having said that I've had really good luck with the Samsung washing machine I bought at the same time and have used almost daily for 4 years.

No one mentioned this but although plasmas are cheaper they use more electricity and produces quite a bit of heat.

I would go LED the the contrast are generally brighter making your blacks blacker.

Plasma black levels and contrast levels are rated the highest of the technologies and by a wide margin by nearly every review and testing site. The LEDs are generally brighter so good in brightly lit rooms. LEDs have much narrower viewing angles than plasma so if you have a lot of people watching spread around plasma works better. Plasma power technology has improved a lot and is not really an operational cost issue anymore. Yes, they do produce more surface heat.

Indeed, I have 6 flatscreens in my house, and all but the computer screen are plasma's as they give the best picture for both movie's and have a much faster response time as LED/LCD which is preferable for fast moving sports and games.

Indeed, I have 6 flatscreens in my house...

You must be a TV addict! I never watch more than an hour or so of TV news every other day. Once a week I may watch a movie.

Depends on how many Thai ladies he has at the house, in my case my wife and sister-in-law and sometimes more. I have a 42" plasma in the living room which my wife inherited from me as I bought a 51" plasma for the master bed room. Guess which one is on most of the day (hint - Thai soaps)? biggrin.png

You must be a TV addict! I never watch more than an hour or so of TV news every other day. Once a week I may watch a movie.

To be honest, I moved into the house 6 months ago and have about 1000 full HD movies stored on a server to witch I can connect from every tv , but I haven't watched 1 minute of tv yet sinced I moved in.biggrin.png Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

Depends on how many Thai ladies he has at the house, in my case my wife and sister-in-law and sometimes more. I have a 42" plasma in the living room which my wife inherited from me as I bought a 51" plasma for the master bed room. Guess which one is on most of the day (hint - Thai soaps)? biggrin.png

Well that is true. Same problem here biggrin.png. But now there is the new hot thing in Thailand -- Korean soaps (poorly) dubbed in Thai via pirated DVD's sold on-line. The g/f just got something like 50 hours worth for 375 THB. Money is sent to a 3rd party bank account and DVD's arrive in a EMS package with no return address. laugh.png

love the Samsungs (42" & 55") I bought from Siam TV, be careful about paying by credit card as they have a bit of a scam going on (see previous post).

I used to pay by credit card at Siam TV...can you explain the scam that's going on, thanks.