How Do I Get Married In Thailand?

WinnieTheKhwai

There doesn't seem to be an applicable sub-forum on this but I did check the visa forum and business forum.

Which documents do we need to register our marriage in Thailand at the district office?

I'm guessing:

* My wife's ID card

* My wife's House Registration Document

* My wife's Birth Certificate (?)

* Some form issued by the district office has that will require 27 witnesses. (Ok, maybe just two or three)

* A statement from my embassy that states I'm eligible to marry.. Not sure if this is a Thai document or foreign one that needs translating?

* Income statement; Not sure if this needs to be legalized by my embassy, or just a statement from my employer will do? My embassy of course has no clue about my income, as I make it all in Thailand.

Would that cover it? Anything else? We have two kids, not sure if we need their birth certificates?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Affirmation of freedom to marry

Any foreign national wishing to marry in Thailand should first obtain an affirmation of freedom to marry or affidavit, which involves the following steps:

• Contact the relevant home Embassy in Thailand to prepare and submit the application at the Embassy in person
  • A passport is always required for proof of identity
  • Evidence that any previous marriages have been dissolved/terminated (death or divorce documents, as appropriate) must be produced. These must be original documents
  • The affirmation must be translated into Thai by a certified translator
  • The affirmation must then be authenticated and the translation certified at the address below. This will be completed within two full working days although it can be ready in less time for a fee, depending on individual cases
    • Legalisation and Naturalisation Division, Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
      At: 123 Chaeng Wattana Rd, Laksi District, Bangkok 10210
      Tel: 02 575 1056 59
      Open: 08:30-14:30 Monday to Friday

• Like 1

I had to get an affirmation of freedom to marriage from the registrar in the UK, that's all the officials at the Amphur's wanted to see, along with my passport. I did take along proof of ability to support her, and a copy of my birth certificate. None of which was asked for. My wife was however given the 3rd degree. It may have helped that all the staff had Leeds Utd shirts on, as did I.

2 witnesses, we used the officials at the office.

Get a translation to English, and lodge a copy at British consulate, they can then generate another certified copy if you ever need or lose the original, there is a small fee but peace of mind.

I seem to remember the need to translate my documents into Thai also

Why r u going to register a marriage here? Is your gf pregnant?

Most Thais get marry without going thru the registration.

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

It could be a no more meaningful act than to prepare for the day when you die. The only reason I registered a marriage with my gf of many years, was to ensure that she copped the entitlements from the pension service (UK) when I die. She will also receive a (small) UK pension when she reaches pensionable age. A legal marriage also entitled me to an additional 60% of basic UK pension as a kind of marriage allowance. I've heard since that this benefit may now have been amended. Can anyone enlighten?

Then there's the question of wills. Being officially married makes things easier in Thailand and in the UK. Two wills are recommended - a Thai will and a UK will each dealing precisely with one's assets in each country.

Sadly, I have seen a good number of long-term good and faithful girlfriends left financially out in the cold because the UK family, or an existing but un-divorced former wife were able to show their entitlement to the spoils exceeded that of the Thai gf. If the relationship with the gf has been a long one, perhaps she is then too old to attract a replacement partner. So, that leaves her where, exactly?

Yes, there are good reasons for registering your marriage. If you're a proper couple, I'd say that preparing for what happens after your death is something of a duty and responsibility.

And, the being legally married bit gives your bride some personal reassurance re your intentions, and a bit of face with her family.

• Like 2

"A legal marriage also entitled me to an additional 60% of basic UK pension as a kind of marriage allowance. I've heard since that this benefit may now have been amended. Can anyone enlighten?"

No longer I am afraid! The married mans allowance known as ADI (Adult Dependency Increase) was discontinued for new applicants in 2010 and will cease for current receivers in 2020. In addition the qualifying age for both male and female applicants for state pension is being increased to 67 over a number of steps, you need to go to the Direct Gov website and use the pension calculator to work out when you and wife will be entitled.

My prestige definitely went up in the village when we got married, as did that of my wife. It was easier to open a bank account, she can take up a credit on the basis of my income (new car coming up soon) etc etc.

Once the confirmation of the fact that we are married comes back from Switzerland, she will no longer have to go through the rigmarole of getting a visa, she can work there if she wants, gets some entitlement to a widow's pension, and other advantages. This must apply in different degrees, to every nationality.

Why r u going to register a marriage here? Is your gf pregnant?

Most Thais get marry without going thru the registration.

As did we, 8 years ago. For various reasons we thought it better not to register, primarily because my wife ran a business and we don't trust the Thai government to not come up with something silly that squeezes Thai citizens married to a foreigner. So flying under the radar was safer.

Now though with two kids, I think the reasons to register outweigh those against it:

* If one of us dies, it more firmly establishes the other's rights related to the kids and property.

* There are tax benefits; we pay less tax when married.

* Banking matters like loans and mortgages become a bit easier. (Though it's also not impossible without being officially married.)

* My wife feels better not being a 'Nang Sow' when a mature mother of two.

Overall it's not like our worlds are going to change, and I still firmly believe that 'marriage' is none of any government's business, but it just seems to make sense to jump through that hoop at this point for practical reasons.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

"A legal marriage also entitled me to an additional 60% of basic UK pension as a kind of marriage allowance. I've heard since that this benefit may now have been amended. Can anyone enlighten?"

No longer I am afraid! The married mans allowance known as ADI (Adult Dependency Increase) was discontinued for new applicants in 2010 and will cease for current receivers in 2020. In addition the qualifying age for both male and female applicants for state pension is being increased to 67 over a number of steps, you need to go to the Direct Gov website and use the pension calculator to work out when you and wife will be entitled.

Interesting point - that of the ADI ceasing in 2020 for those now receiving it. I wonder if that will affect her pension. I must check further on that, thanks for the tip. I was aware that we'd just skidded in under the bar before the ADI issue was stopped in 2010.

I married my wife in 2004 and became of pensionable age (65) in 2008, so I've been receiving the "enhanced" pension, though I did have to jump through a few hoops before it was fully implemented. Because I'd been working in SEA since 1972 and had never believed I would ever grow old, I'd made too few NI contributions to qualify for the full state pension. However, I found I was able to make a few years of NI contributions which brought the pension up quite considerably, though what I do get is being eroded by the increasing cost of living, an unfavourable exchange rate and, of course, the fact that Brits living in certain territories (Thailand among them) do not receive any annual pension increase. This matter has (and is) being exhaustively discussed elsewhere on this forum.

I was fortunate in being able to afford those NI contributions in arrears, and further fortunate in having some savings which help to mitigate the effects of dwindling pension value. We can afford to live in Thailand, but the gold-plated Rolls will have to wait until I can track down a rich and generous relative who urgently needs someone to pass their fortune on to. I'll own up to that......