Has Tv Made You Skeptical

rattler

Yes, I have become very sceptical of the level of understanding amongst your average TV posters as to how Thai society functions. Many think it's like the West but just with corruption at its most basic such as coppers demanding 200 Baht with no receipt.

Oh yes I am very sceptical but not as you intimated in your original post.

• Like 2

No! I wised up a long time ago,as any thinking person would do,unless they forgot to take off their Rose Tinted Spectacles,as many have.............

Take them off,and The truth will set you free.

Edited by MAJIC

This forum is full of massive generalizations about Thais made by morons who spend 99% of their time in Thailand cheek by jowl with locals firmly entrenched at the bottom of the social barrel.

That, in and of itself, is not a problem until they rock up on here dispensing advice and narrow-minded opinions on interactions - romantic and otherwise - with only financially-based liaisons with the local females and inebriated discourse with the odd moto-taxi rider to base them upon.

I do agree with you on this one, however you must include ALL aspects of society to gain an understanding of it. That includes the lowest social ranking too. It is a bit too well presented on here though.

No, as I base my views/responses on any situation on my personal life experiences. I will take into consideration, based on my experiences, an anonymous post if I believe it provides a valid insight/angle on life in Thailand. But not the never ending large volume of posts that add no value, consistently negative and sing to the same tune regards living in Thailand.

Being here hasn't made me skeptical about other members of the ThaiVisa community. It's a big place, and it takes all kinds. I can take the good with the bad.

But reading the news here over an extended period of time has changed my outlook on the government and politics here.

I arrived in Thailand with a healthy skepticism of government, Thai or otherwise.

But now after prolonged exposure, I'm not just skeptical about the Thai government and government officials anymore. Rather, I pretty much figure, the truth is likely just about opposite of whatever they're saying. If I adopt that approach, I find usually I'm pretty much dead-on accurate.

Being here hasn't made me skeptical about other members of the ThaiVisa community. It's a big place, and it takes all kinds. I can take the good with the bad.

But reading the news here over an extended period of time has changed my outlook on the government and politics here.

I arrived in Thailand with a healthy skepticism of government, Thai or otherwise.

But now after prolonged exposure, I'm not just skeptical about the Thai government and government officials anymore. Rather, I pretty much figure, the truth is likely just about opposite of whatever they're saying. If I adopt that approach, I find usually I'm pretty much dead-on accurate.

Unfortunately too true. Have you found yourself questioning your "home" government with similar feelings since this "education"? I have found myself listening to UK politics and spotting similar ridiculous remarks and promises. The only difference in the UK is that the politicians need to sell their ideas just a little harder to compensate for the better education levels.

TV is more guilty of making people narrow minded than sceptical (skepticle).

Only if you believe all you read and are not sceptical to start with - as several posters above have already said.....or is that a circular argument....unsure.png

This forum is full of massive generalizations about Thais made by morons who spend 99% of their time in Thailand cheek by jowl with locals firmly entrenched at the bottom of the social barrel.

That, in and of itself, is not a problem until they rock up on here dispensing advice and narrow-minded opinions on interactions - romantic and otherwise - with only financially-based liaisons with the local females and inebriated discourse with the odd moto-taxi rider to base them upon.

Agree 100% with that statement

The good thing about TV is that before reading this forum, I didn't realize first that these people existed and then what was on their mind, what was their understanding of Thailand.

Both in my work and my private life, both in Bangkok and our village in Isaan, I realized I live in a "privileged" environment. Just lets talk about our village in Isaan. There we have similar friends, both foreign and local, married with nice educated women. Just for our little village there is at least two facebook groups where you can discuss local issues. We know there are a couple of foreigners married with girls they met in bar but we don't have much (if any) contact with them. But the blame can't be put solely on us, from this forum I realized how little relation these people have with their local community. Thanks to ThaiVisa I now better understand them and I do hope it goes both way.

Replying to the OP question, has TV made you skeptical ? my answer will be not really but I now understand better why other people way have a different opinion than mine.