All I See Is Complaints

Dielie

OP:

"I've been reading the articles on Thai Visa now for quite some time. When it comes to replies I estimate that 80% are in a negative manner towards Thais/Thailand. Most, if not all, of these posts are from foreigners living in Thailand..."

Talk with educated natives and their reactions to problems in TH will be similar if not harsher. It's just that they are not on foreigner forums.

You complain about what affects a place you like because you know how it could be if problems were addressed. You understand what is being lost.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading the articles on Thai Visa now for quite some time. When it comes to replies I estimate that 80% are in a negative manner towards Thais/Thailand. Most, if not all, of these posts are from foreigners living in Thailand.

And then I wonder, if all you can do is complain how corrupt Thailand is and how stupid some policies are, and whatever else you hate, why don't you pack up your sh!t and leave? Too many visitors on TV seem to have too much time on their hands. There are lots of other countries where it's cheap and where there's sunshine (and where you might be able to find yourselves a gf).

Enjoy your stay!

I agree that the negativity, the Thai bashing and the out-and-out racism on TV can get depressing if you assume this reflects the attitudes of the majority of expats in Thailand, but the number of people generating this rubbish is fairly small compared to the number of farang here.

It really is a better gauge of how unhappy some of these posters must be with their own lives. Their constant bashing of everyone and everything would probably continue no matter where they settled because they can never travel far enough to escape themselves.

• Like 2

I've been reading the articles on Thai Visa now for quite some time. When it comes to replies I estimate that 80% are in a negative manner towards Thais/Thailand. Most, if not all, of these posts are from foreigners living in Thailand.

And then I wonder, if all you can do is complain how corrupt Thailand is and how stupid some policies are, and whatever else you hate, why don't you pack up your sh!t and leave? Too many visitors on TV seem to have too much time on their hands. There are lots of other countries where it's cheap and where there's sunshine (and where you might be able to find yourselves a gf).

Enjoy your stay!

I agree that the negativity, the Thai bashing and the out-and-out racism on TV can get depressing if you assume this reflects the attitudes of the majority of expats in Thailand, but the number of people generating this rubbish is fairly small compared to the number of farang here.

It really is a better gauge of how unhappy some of these posters must be with their own lives. Their constant bashing of everyone and everything would probably continue no matter where they settled because they can never travel far enough to escape themselves.

I think you should seperate racism from criticism and venting. Sure there are a lot of misogynists and racists who love to have a go at the Thais but the Thai is not some harmless animal. He or she is a person and thus Thai are people and should be treated as such, meaning... they should be able to counter the criticism as they so much like to throw at the foreigners.

Many here who reflect on what they consider bad about Thailand are people who live here and have seen what is really going on once the show curtain is down. If one is really for a democracy in Thailand then the criticism should be mutually taken and resolved.

Edited by maxme

I think one thing that surprises is the repetative content served up by the Thai bashers......many threads are informative for the first 5 posts or so, then we see people repeating the same or similar 'accusations/comments/opinions' for another 50 posts or more, just take a look everytime there is news item about a traffic accident

Again the usual comment I see in this thread 'rose tinted glasses'....... boring........because the reality is many of us just do not see the need to repeatedly chastise and highlight the faults of the Thai, or the forum fossils for that matter

Rose tinted glasses are for those who are overly positive, Thai bashers are the other extreme. I like to think that im somewhere in the middle. Might not be true of course on every topic.

Actually most people who enjoy life here viewed Thailand realistically when they decided to come here and can see both the positives & negatives without getting their knickers in a knot.

The perpetual whiners, or at least some of them, had the rose tinted glasses on when they envisioned life here as an adult fantasyland and themselves as pukka sahibs. When it turned out that Thais see through them and their pomposity, the rose tinted glasses fell off.

Edited by Suradit69

I think one thing that surprises is the repetative content served up by the Thai bashers......many threads are informative for the first 5 posts or so, then we see people repeating the same or similar 'accusations/comments/opinions' for another 50 posts or more, just take a look everytime there is news item about a traffic accident

Again the usual comment I see in this thread 'rose tinted glasses'....... boring........because the reality is many of us just do not see the need to repeatedly chastise and highlight the faults of the Thai, or the forum fossils for that matter

Rose tinted glasses are for those who are overly positive, Thai bashers are the other extreme. I like to think that im somewhere in the middle. Might not be true of course on every topic.

Actually most people who enjoy life here viewed Thailand realistically when they decided to come here and can see both the positives & negatives without getting their knickers in a knot.

The perpetual whiners, or at least some of them, had the rose tinted glasses on when they envisioned life here as an adult fantasyland and themselves as pukka sahibs. When it turned out that Thais see through them and their pomposity, the rose tinted glasses fell off.

Honestly ... why do you think people come to the Thai Visa forum?

TO SC

We also ask a question then give the answer straight away ... a la..

'Gidday mate owya doin oright? yep'. It comes from having no one to talk to but sheep ... but, I have to say we have not descended to the depths of our New Zulund brothers across the 'ditch;' who have quite a different conversation with sheep. cheesy.gif

re.

There are lots of other countries where it's cheap and where there's sunshine

as your such a smart a#se and know it all .... name them and their visa requirements ?

dave2

Brazil

Also Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Ecuador, Chile

Not to forget Spain, Turkey, Cyprus, Sri Lanka, Israel, Jordan, Malta, Greece, PNG, Philippines ...........

Edited by TommoPhysicist

re.

as your such a smart a#se and know it all .... name them and their visa requirements ?

dave2

Brazil

Not to forget Spain, Turkey, Cyprus, Sri Lanka, Israel, Jordan, Malta, Greece, PNG, Philippines ...........

Jamaica, Morocco, Tunisia, UAE, Oman, Hawaii, the South Sea Islands, Kenya or Mozambique.

SC

TO SC

'Gidday mate owya doin oright? yep'. It comes from having no one to talk to but sheep ... but, I have to say we have not descended to the depths of our New Zulund brothers across the 'ditch;' who have quite a different conversation with sheep. cheesy.gif

Astonishing! You mean to say that they engage the sheep in some kind of cunnilinguistic intercourse ?
  • Like 1

Either the Op is trolling or just needs to read a wider range of TV threads. For example the visa threads are mainly used by people asking questions & there are some very helpful individuals indeed there.

The current thread 'Unfazed by Rising Costs........' is almost 100% positive, for example.

Yes, there are some Thai bashers who have a very blinkered view of Thais & Thailand. We don't know how many of them live here. But there is nothing wrong with having an opinion - even a complaint - about corruption & its many facets.

Actually, the volume & sometimes, hatred, displayed against Thais is mild compared to the bile displayed against Muslims.

Either the Op is trolling or just needs to read a wider range of TV threads. For example the visa threads are mainly used by people asking questions & there are some very helpful individuals indeed there.

The current thread 'Unfazed by Rising Costs........' is almost 100% positive, for example.

Yes, there are some Thai bashers who have a very blinkered view of Thais & Thailand. We don't know how many of them live here. But there is nothing wrong with having an opinion - even a complaint - about corruption & its many facets.

Actually, the volume & sometimes, hatred, displayed against Thais is mild compared to the bile displayed against Muslims.

Personally, I go for your first option.

IMO, many people come to the General forum without exploring all the other areas of TV.....a little like attending an important seminar and spending all your time in the gents. I'll leave the analogy at that.

Complaining is OK, but the bitching that goes on wears me down. I can sympathise (a little) with working ex-pats who are sent to LOS to work; they are stuck there and have little choice in the matter. Those who choose to live there for the benefits of cheaper lifestyle etc should stop bitching because they chose wrongly.

As for the racism that is displayed by some posters, that makes me sick. There is no place for that.

If 40 is young, I'm happy with that.

If 5 years living in Thailand still has me wear rose tinted glasses, I'm happy with that too.

Happy happy happy biggrin.png !

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

40 is young ! Middle age now begins at 55 :

The age at which ‘middle age’ kicks in has grown steadily older. A new survey suggests that the age which people consider themselves to be ‘middle aged’ has crept up to 55.

In relation to ‘middle age’, the

BBC reports that it the past people regarded themselves as middle aged at the comparatively young age of 36 years. With the new survey a sizeable number (around 20%) considered that middle age did not begin until someone had reached sixty years old.

The survey also indicates that the age that people first regard themselves as ‘elderly’ has hit close to 70 years old (the average was 69 years and 277 days old). This also suggests that ‘middle age’ spans a 15 years period (from 55 to 70 years)

Read more:

http://digitaljourna.../article/333098

Wow! I love TV! I am back to being middle aged again! You bloody oldies shut up and stop complaining!

If 40 is young, I'm happy with that.

If 5 years living in Thailand still has me wear rose tinted glasses, I'm happy with that too.

Happy happy happy biggrin.png !

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

40 is young ! Middle age now begins at 55 :

The age at which ‘middle age’ kicks in has grown steadily older. A new survey suggests that the age which people consider themselves to be ‘middle aged’ has crept up to 55.

In relation to ‘middle age’, the

BBC reports that it the past people regarded themselves as middle aged at the comparatively young age of 36 years. With the new survey a sizeable number (around 20%) considered that middle age did not begin until someone had reached sixty years old.

The survey also indicates that the age that people first regard themselves as ‘elderly’ has hit close to 70 years old (the average was 69 years and 277 days old). This also suggests that ‘middle age’ spans a 15 years period (from 55 to 70 years)

Read more:

http://digitaljourna.../article/333098

Would someone inform my body that it isn't elderly yet!

I suspect that those claiming to be middle aged at 68 are those that never had to do physical work in their life.

IMO, many people come to the General forum without exploring all the other areas of TV.....a little like attending an important seminar and spending all your time in the gents. I'll leave the analogy at that.

Complaining is OK, but the bitching that goes on wears me down. I can sympathise (a little) with working ex-pats who are sent to LOS to work; they are stuck there and have little choice in the matter. Those who choose to live there for the benefits of cheaper lifestyle etc should stop bitching because they chose wrongly.

As for the racism that is displayed by some posters, that makes me sick. There is no place for that.

I fail to see why people's opinion on an electronic forum should "wear" you down. It's so easy to hit the back button, no exertion required.

Unless of course, in a Clockwork Orange like scenario, you are strapped down with your eyes held open and forced to read TV complainers all day long.

re.

dave2

Jamaica, Morocco, Tunisia, UAE, Oman, Hawaii, the South Sea Islands, Kenya or Mozambique.

SC

Harrumph.

I wouldn't want to live in any of them. Some are way too violent, I've been to Cyprus ( this is supposed to be about places equivalent to Thailand! ) and Sri Lanka ( yuch ), the western ones would be too expensive ( Hawaii for goodness sake ) and I doubt that the attractive women in any of them would want to be my girlfriend.

Post modified to allow posting

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I fail to see why people's opinion on an electronic forum should "wear" you down. It's so easy to hit the back button, no exertion required.

Unless of course, in a Clockwork Orange like scenario, you are strapped down with your eyes held open and forced to read TV complainers all day long.

Far from it. I have a look in because there are some posters whose intelligent input I like to read. Sorry to say yours wasn't one of them. far too mant threads that start out potentially interesting, but are highjacked by whining and trolling off-thread comments. So that is the complaint that I have posted to the thread on complaints..... relevant. Get it? No whining, no negativity and no racism.

• Like 1

TO SC

Astonishing! You mean to say that they engage the sheep in some kind of cunnilinguistic intercourse ?

But only if they're attractive.

• Like 1

TO SC

So I says to the boy from Dingwall, "well, why are we running?"

"Ye don't want to be stuck with an ugly sheep..."

SC

• Like 1

TO SC

So I says to the boy from Dingwall, "well, why are we running?"

"Ye don't want to be stuck with an ugly sheep..."

SC

If you're meaning the Dingwall in Ross-shire, it's the other way round (well, OK... most things are...)... but it's the ugly sheep that do the running away in case they get stuck with one of the gadgies...... but maybe this is racist, because I am from over the county line.....whistling.gif

• Like 1

Thai Visa has an abundance of positives, an aray of great informative threads, plus a membership that is a mixture of diverse personalities and you as a supposed new member have only managed to highlight the compliants part of our persona that IMHO arean essential part of a good forum.

Any new comer worthy of being a positive member will be more informed on the happenings and content of our posts and would surely be looking at Thai Visa as a whole and if making fair comment based on what is available would be offering due recognition on how good it,s contents are and most certainlly not nit picking on it,s content.

Let us look further first of all at the complaints which offer observations on what individuals may feel need venting and with it providing awareness to the negatives they consider are worthy of a heads up and further debate.

The majority of our members way well moan at times but for every complaint you will find it is well and truly counter balanced in favour of positive submission and informative debate.

Those who continually do nothing more than complain, usually turn out to be mischief makers hell bent on igniting unrest and are, courteousy of the moderators and the forum members soon dealt with.

You if you do not mind me pointing out are off to a not so good start based on your contributions which are seemingly trying to get the memberships back up.

I await some positive input from you that would encourage me to think you are anything more that a mischief maker hell bent on winding everyone up....

Might I even go as far to say the four letter word beginning with Tand ending in L may well be applicable in this instance and possible from a repeat offender Hmmmmmm rolleyes.gif

marshbags whistling.gif

Agree with the above.

Regarding your last sentence - I'll give it foive!

Yes the Brits are a bunch of whingeing Pohms .... BUT... I love the way they can take the piss out of themselves clap2.gif

You spelt Poms wrongly. Bloody Antipodeans, mangling the Queen's English. Goodness knows how they'd spell if they ever became a republic...

SC

Sorry SC... we in Orstrailiar understand that when British prisoners were transported to penal colonies, the were know as

Prisoners Of His Majesty ...POHM...or plural... POHMS...or possessive case POHM's ....or a plural possessive POHMS'

tongue.png

Here is another explannation

Pommy

The term pommy, pom or pomme,[1] in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, commonly denotes a person of British heritage or origin—or just English: it is used regardless of distinctions between the four UK nations. A derogatory term, it was controversially ruled no longer offensive in 2006 by the Australian Advertising Standards Board and in 2010 by the New Zealand Broadcasting Standards Authority.[2] Despite these changing views, many British people or those of British origin consider the expression offensive or racist when used by people not of British origin to describe English or British people, yet acceptable when used within that community: for example, the community group British People Against Racial Discrimination was among those who complained to the Advertising Standards Board about five advertisements poking fun at "Poms", prompting the 2006 decision.[3]

The origin of this term is not confirmed and there are several persistent false etymologies. The Oxford English Dictionary (OED) strongly supports the theory that pommy originated as a contraction of "pomegranate".[4][5][6][7] The OED also suggests that the reason for this is that pomegranate is extinct Australian rhyming slang for immigrant; it cites an article from 14 November 1912, in a once-prominent Australian weekly magazine The Bulletin: "The other day a Pummy Grant (assisted immigrant) was handed a bridle and told to catch a horse." A popular alternative explanation for the theory that pommy is a contraction of "pomegranate", relates to the purported frequency of sunburn among British people in Australia, turning their fair skin the colour of pomegranates.[8] However, there is no hard evidence for the theory regarding sunburn. Pomegranates are also a Middle Eastern fruit and was fairly insignificant fruit in Australia and not well known until recently.[9] Another unofficial explanation is that P.O.M. stands for 'Prisoner of Millbank', that P.O.M.E stands for Prisoner of Mother England or that P.O.H.M.E. stands for 'Prisoner of Her Majesty's Exile'. However, the OED states that there is no evidence for these terms or abbreviations being used and that they are an unlikely source. Historian Richard Holt maintains the origin of the term comes from English cricket tours of Australia where the English gentlemen amateurs would drink Pommery Champagne in preference to Australian beer