Retire To Chiang Mai

mugsy4503

My wife and I are planning to retire to Chiang Mai in 2013. I will be visiting Chiang Mai for about 8 days from the end of october to early november this year (unfortunately other commitments prevent me from staying longer). If there's anyone living in Chiang Mai who would be able to meet me for a chat to give me some information about renting houses, getting bank accounts , visa runs etc., I would greatly appreciate it...P.S.I'll buy the beer...

With a retirement visa you don't need to make a visa run. I got my first one in Canada before coming over here.

I thought that you had to get a non immigrant visa and then have it converted to an extension of stay for retirement within Thailand.

I had no idea that they issue retirement visas in Canada.

Edited by uptheos

With a retirement visa you don't need to make a visa run. I got my first one in Canada before coming over here.

I thought that you had to get a non immigrant visa and then have it converted to an extension of stay for retirement within Thailand.

I was issued my Non-Imm O-A in Hawaii. When I went through Immigration at Bangkok airport (the old one) I was given permission to stay for 1 year.

It could be that if you get a Non-Imm O in your home country, then make the extension in Thailand it is changed to an O-A. If you are issued the O-A in your home country then the permission is for up to 1 year. This could, of course, have changed.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

I was issued my Non-Imm O-A in Hawaii. When I went through Immigration at Bangkok airport (the old one) I was given permission to stay for 1 year.

It could be that if you get a Non-Imm O in your home country, then make the extension in Thailand it is changed to an O-A. If you are issued the O-A in your home country then the permission is for up to 1 year. This could, of course, have changed.

MSPain

Did you have to show finances, proof of address, report etc?

MSPain

Did you have to show finances, proof of address, report etc?

Yes. As a matter of fact, I thought I was just applying for the Non-Imm O.... that was my intention, and then extending in Thailand. However, the Honorary Consul in Honolulu was processing it as a Non-Imm O-A. Even after I got the visa I did not fully understand (after having read ThaiVisa and other places to see how it works). I was processed through Immigration at the airport and I still did not realize what had happened. When I noticed the permission to stay expired in 1 year I figured out what happened. Then I understood why it took so long in Honolulu to get the visa.

I should add that I had been living in Chiang Mai for a few years already when I applied for this visa passing through Honolulu on the way back one time.

I have also heard of Thai Consuls and Embassies (?) being told to not issue O-A visas in the past. I am think you were here when that happened, Uptheos. You have been here longer than me, I believe.

It also used to be possible to mail the passport to a consul and have a visa approved and stamped in the passport then mailed back. I belive that practice has also been addressed by the Thai government. No more comment on that practice.

MSPain

There is no 'retirement' visa.

But if you say "retirement visa" at immigration, they know exactly what you mean.

What if you said it at a Thai Consulate when applying?

It doesn't state 'retirement visa' as an option on the application form.

Edited by uptheos

Live and learn. Just go to the Thai consulate in Vancouver. I am told the one in Calgary and the one in Portland Oregon do also.

Not entirely sure but I think the one in Portland used to renew them by mail. Not any more. Just passing on what a friend had told me. But he is a little suspect some times when it comes to facts.

Edited by hellodolly

I was in there the other day and they had a television with a continuing message of information. Part of it was retirement visa's desk 6 and 7. Good enough for them good enough for me.

When I received my retirement visa in Vancouver I had to have proof of income a medical a police check up and a Notary saying it was all ligtamet. Don't remember about proof of residency. Maybe they accepted my drivers license can't remember. I believe it cost me $200 Canadian. They held all the paper work and my passport for 3 days.

Phuket Immigration stamped the word "Retirement" just above my latest 12 month extension.

Phuket Immigration stamped the word "Retirement" just above my latest 12 month extension.

That was for extending permission of stay which is based on Retirement, Work, Married, Business. Not the Visa itself which is no longer valid after entering on it. When you enter you receive a permission of stay stamp.

That was for extending permission of stay which is based on Retirement, Work, Married, Business. Not the Visa itself which is no longer valid after entering on it. When you enter you receive a permission of stay stamp.

So you can get an extension based on retirement, but not a visa.

As with most things there are different roads to retirement stay but all require being over age 50.

1. Long stay visa (often called retirement visa) issued in your resident country is a combination visa and pre-approved extension of stay. It is called non immigrant O-A with the A meaning approved extension of one year. You need to meet financials in resident country and obtain medical and police check. This may be single entry or multi entry valid for new one year stays during one year validity of the visa.

2. Non immigrant visa entry of 90 days and then extend at immigration for one year retirement extension of stay meeting financials inside Thailand. This may be issued to check on retirement options.

3. Conversion to above inside Thailand from visa exempt or tourist visa entry at added 2,000 baht cost showing ability to meet financials for extension of stay within 3 months.

"My wife and I are planning to retire to Chiang Mai in 2013. I will be visiting Chiang Mai for about 8 days from the end of october to early november this year (unfortunately other commitments prevent me from staying longer). If there's anyone living in Chiang Mai who would be able to meet me for a chat to give me some information about renting houses, getting bank accounts , visa runs etc., I would greatly appreciate it...P.S.I'll buy the beer..."

OP, have you ever been to Chiang Mai before, especially in March? If not, I would suggest visiting it before you make up your mind on retiring here.

Live and learn. Just go to the Thai consulate in Vancouver. I am told the one in Calgary and the one in Portland Oregon do also.

Yes indeed, never too old to learn.

Come on, folks, the poor OP just mentioned "visa runs" along with a list of other concerns like banking and home rental. Then everyone jumped in with half-baked advice about retirement visas. The Chiang Mai forum isn't the best place to learn about visa options for retirees -- the Visa forum (first forum on the list of TV forums) is the place to go. Fortunately, the visa forum's guru, Lopburi3, dropped by with a quick summary of the various paths towards obtaining long-term permission to remain due to retirement (AKA "retirement visa") For more details, visit the forum he moderates.

Now, when the OP returns, perhaps he could tell us more about himself and his wife -- age, nationality, interests, type of lifestyle they're planning and then they could get some helpful advice and perhaps set up a meeting with people who have common background.

For example, the OP may not know it yet, but he and his wife need to think about things like should they maintain bank accounts in their home country in addition to Thailand, how to transfer funds, forwarding mail from their home country, maintaining access to their country's health care system, how to transfer pension income here, pitfalls of living outside town and driving a car vs. renting a condo and using public transport, how to ship their stuff here, what stuff to bring and what to get get rid of before you come, if it's worth it to store stuff in your home country, health care options -- including health insurance, Wills, Living Wills, who should be notified you're leaving home country (i.e. credit card companies, life insurance companies, etc) should someone in the home country have power of attorney, etc, etc.

This is the not sort to stuff to discuss over a beer in a noisy bar -- maybe over coffee in a quiet, private coffee shop. The bar is the best place to discuss where to get the best pizza, who has the best Quiz Night, where to go for the best buffet, and maybe slightly more serious topics like internet providers and pirated TV service.

• Like 2

i would suggest u try facebook as there are many social groups like chiang mai couchsurfing

who meet every friday evening in a restaurant in chiang mai

their u can chat to people who are experiencing the cm life

i also belong to a badminton club and we play every tue and fri afternoon

some of our group have been here 6 years or more and have retired here.

i have been here 6 months and have avoided the 'experts'

just rent ! plenty on facebook chiang mai groups

good luck

u are welcome to contact me as well if u like

Oh gawd, not more oldies. rolleyes.gif

agree

Chiang Mai needs less old people and more people in their 20's, 30's, and 40's. It's becoming like a community you would find in Florida. What is the attraction? I don't get it. Some of these people look like fish out of water when you see them around town.

agree

Chiang Mai needs less old people and more people in their 20's, 30's, and 40's. It's becoming like a community you would find in Florida. What is the attraction? I don't get it. Some of these people look like fish out of water when you see them around town.

Blame the recent internet news sites citing Chiang Mai as a great place to retire.

Young people have a hard time making a living here whereas oldsters can actually live on their meager social security or other pensions. Not to mention an old man can find a youngish lady who "love him too much!"

That's the attraction, IMHO.

Come on, folks, the poor OP just mentioned "visa runs" along with a list of other concerns like banking and home rental. Then everyone jumped in with half-baked advice about retirement visas. The Chiang Mai forum isn't the best place to learn about visa options for retirees -- the Visa forum (first forum on the list of TV forums) is the place to go. Fortunately, the visa forum's guru, Lopburi3, dropped by with a quick summary of the various paths towards obtaining long-term permission to remain due to retirement (AKA "retirement visa") For more details, visit the forum he moderates.

Relax Nancy, I asked Lop to step in to clarify the Visa issue so the topic can continue with other things as it is something the OP will need to consider. But that is now out of the way we can continue with the ins and outs of living in CM as a retiree.

• Like 1

I would like to ask; why is the OP planning to do visa runs and not apply for a yearly non immigragrant O visa directly from the Immigration department in Chiang Mai? Does he have financial problems that means he does not meet the requirements of the Chiang Mai Immigration department?

If so I would certainly recommend re-considering packing up and moving to Thailand for the long term.

Is his wife a Thai national?

agree

Blame the recent internet news sites citing Chiang Mai as a great place to retire.

Young people have a hard time making a living here whereas oldsters can actually live on their meager social security or other pensions. Not to mention an old man can find a youngish lady who "love him too much!"

That's the attraction, IMHO.

Well that will change once the Chinese invasion is complete and they drive the prices on everything up to the moon. The old farts won't even be able to afford a smile from one of these "youngish ladies".

Well now that I think about it You said

" If there's anyone living in Chiang Mai who would be able to meet me for a chat to give me some information about renting houses, getting bank accounts , visa runs etc., I would greatly appreciate it...P.S.I'll buy the beer..."

Not sure if that is the way to go about getting information. It will all be one persons point of view. And drinking is not the thing to be doing when you are investigating a major change in your living conditions.

Some will tell you buy a house some will tell you rent a house. Some will tell you buy a condo some will tel you rent a condo. Some will say live here some will say live there.

If I was in your position I would go back and look at some of the previous threads on this topic. If nothing else it will give you a idea of what is available.

One more thing We have no idea of what your income is. you can get places for as low as 6,000 baht a month up to well how long is a piece of string? From what I have seen my personal choice is a condo I saw in the 50,000 baht range. It is out of my range but I did like it Also are you going to get a vehicle if not you will be limited n your choice of place to locate.

For myself I love it the Thai's are friendly the climate is a lot cooler than down South and Chiang Mai has a international airport. Lots to see Temples all over the town some very nice Tours you can take for a day. Hiking trails If you have transportation the whole of North Thailand is open to you.

Come look around and then try to talk specifics with some one. As for a bank account I don't know I know I got one and I believe all they asked for was my passport and address plus phone number.