Anupan Chantana,

Patinya Iamtarn,

Anan Wijitpracha,

Boonleu Promprathankul

The Nation

30191368-01_big.jpg

Phaholyothin road in Pathum Thani

Meteorological Dept disagrees with city administration's rainfall figures

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) yesterday insisted that rainfall in the capital this month has been the highest in 100 years.

"I have clear information," Sanya Sheenimit said in his capacity as chief of BMA's Drainage and Sewerage Department. He added that the total rainfall in the capital had reached 825.5 millimetres.

Sanya went on to say he had already cleared up misunderstandings with the Meteorological Department's deputy director general Somchai Baimuang, who questioned BMA rainfall records on Thursday.

Yesterday, Somchai reckoned that the BMA might have used statistical methods in determining the average rainfall figures for the 100-year period. "However, at the Meteorological Department, we use raw data and our database can only go back to between 30 and 50 years," he said.

According to Somchai, rain levels should be based on data compiled at one measuring station.

"The BMA should also clearly release information as to where and how the rainfall is measured," he said.

Somchai appeared reluctant to believe that the capital was experiencing the heaviest rainfall in 100 years, because data compiled by his department is still very different from figures released by the BMA.

He said the rainfall levels measured at the Meteorological Department's stations in Sukhumvit and Bang Na on September 25 were by no means above average.

The BMA has been blaming heavy downpours for hours-long flooding on several major roads, including the Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road.

Chawalit Chantararat, executive director of the water-management experts, TEAM Group, said it takes time to drain rainwater in the capital.

"Bangkok's drainage system is efficient enough, but it takes time to drain water after continuous heavy rainfall," Sanya said.

Nong Chok District Office director Pinyo Pinkaeo said rainfall in his area on Thursday night stood at 147mm and despite determined drainage efforts, some spots were still inundated. "But the situation will return to normal if there is no more rain," he said.

Meanwhile, BMA spokesman Wasan Meewong has called on all sides to stop finding fault with the city administration.

"They should be working with us to help solve problems," he said.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Lt-General Khamronwit Toopkrajang said that after a crew of inmates from the Corrections Department dredged drainage pipes, rain-induced flooding time had been cut down from three hours to just one hour in many spots in Bangkok.

Several portions of Phaholyothin Road in Pathum Thani were also under 40 to 50 centimetres of water yesterday following a cloudburst on Thursday night, which brought traffic to a standstill.

Meanwhile, Ranong Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office yesterday issued an urgent warning for people living at foothills or sloping areas in Muang Ranong, La-un and Suk Samran districts to beware of possible landslides. "Ranong is still under the influence of a low-pressure ridge, which can send big downpours to many areas," the office's director Chaowalit Nitararat said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-09-29

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

after a crew of inmates from the Corrections Department dredged drainage pipes, rain-induced flooding time had been cut down from three hours to just one hour in many spots in Bangkok.

Isn't it amazing what maintenance on storm drains will do for drainage. Now if the BMA and the rest of Thailand performed regular/scheduled maintenance on all there infrastructure as it should be done, there would be much less property damage, personal injuries, and in some cases loss of life.

If if if. It's not the Thai way to plan.

• Like 1

after a crew of inmates from the Corrections Department dredged drainage pipes, rain-induced flooding time had been cut down from three hours to just one hour in many spots in Bangkok.

Isn't it amazing what maintenance on storm drains will do for drainage. Now if the BMA and the rest of Thailand performed regular/scheduled maintenance on all there infrastructure as it should be done, there would be much less property damage, personal injuries, and in some cases loss of life.

Well said, however you have not taken into account that this would require three 4 letter words which rarely exist in the male Thai work place, try rearranging these 4 letter words; Work, Plan, Hard.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Well said, however you have not taken into account that this would require three 4 letter words which rarely exist in the male Thai work place, try rearranging these 4 letter words; Work, Plan, Hard.coffee1.gif

Agreed!

I couldnt help myself, I was on my 4th cup of coffee, and lost my mind.

It doesn't really matter who is being unclear on the amount of rainfall, what is clear is that BKK cannot handle even normal rainfall.

If the drainage system was efficient enough then their wouldn't be the flooding of roads as we have all witnessed, clearly they are not efficient or not up to the job !!

• Like 2

Are there words in the Thai language for "Preventative Maintenance"? I thought if it ain't broke why fix is was the policy. The biggest problem here is that someone that gives a hoot has to determine if it is broken.

It seems to me like an attempted face-saver before the event:

If it floods it's due to the worst rains in 100 years; nothing they could have done;

If it doesn't what a great job they have done preventing flooding despite the worst rains in 100 years.

• Like 2

laugh.png

The picture at the start of this article says just about everything you really need to know about "flash flooding" in Bangkok.

Note carefully that as this intersection the center of the intersection is LOWER than the pavements on each side....when the pedestrians wait.

And where are the storm drains?

Why there are placed in the side of the pavement....maybe 10 or 15 cm HIGHER than the center of the intersection,

Since, even in Thailand, water does not run uphill, the center of the intersection does not drain....at leat until the water level reaches the level of the storm drains,

Result? Well, obviously the rain runoff water pools in the center of the intersection.

If you're trying to drain some place of water from heavy rains, it makes no sense to have those storm drains slightly higher than the lowest point you're trying to drain, does it?

blink.png

Edited by IMA_FARANG

If if if. It's not the Thai way to plan.

It is the Thai way to become stubborn and complacent, the richer they get. The higher status they have, the more they fear of losing face to the truth....

• Like 1

Just out of interest does anyone know just how much Bangkok has sunk/ subsided in the last ten years. I remember about ten years ago massive monsoon downpours and sure enough roads would flood, but it was usually lasted an hour at most. Clearly the idea that it is raining more as a singular factor for the constant and frequent flooding doesn't wash.

There have to be other factors as work - has Bangkok started to sink? so the land is now lower in relation to the water table? has development blocked natural runoff path?

laugh.pngThe picture at the start of this article says just about everything you really need to know about "flash flooding" in Bangkok.Note carefully that as this intersection the center of the intersection is LOWER than the pavements on each side....when the pedestrians wait.And where are the storm drains?Why there are placed in the side of the pavement....maybe 10 or 15 cm HIGHER than the center of the intersection,Since, even in Thailand, water does not run uphill, the center of the intersection does not drain....at leat until the water level reaches the level of the storm drains,Result? Well, obviously the rain runoff water pools in the center of the intersection.If you're trying to drain some place of water from heavy rains, it makes no sense to have those storm drains slightly higher than the lowest point you're trying to drain, does it?blink.png

I think it requires a really big degree and stuff and common sense to know to built the center of the road higher, so when it rains the water flows towards the drains. Of course if no cleaning maintenance is ever to be performed on the drains, you may make the center of the roads as low as you wish. crazy.gif

Edited by Ripple

My statistics only go back 5 years. This year, at least in the northern suburbs, it has rained harder, longer and more often than it has in the previous years, including last year.

Last year's problem was runoff from the north, not the localized rain.

Just out of interest does anyone know just how much Bangkok has sunk/ subsided in the last ten years. I remember about ten years ago massive monsoon downpours and sure enough roads would flood, but it was usually lasted an hour at most. Clearly the idea that it is raining more as a singular factor for the constant and frequent flooding doesn't wash.

There have to be other factors as work - has Bangkok started to sink? so the land is now lower in relation to the water table? has development blocked natural runoff path?

Good point...I was wondering about that myself. Perhaps Bangkok is sinking and the drainage routes are getting damaged in the process. I don't recall witnessing all these problems, say 5-10 years ago in relation to something as commonplace as roads draining rapidly during a rainstorm.

laugh.png

The picture at the start of this article says just about everything you really need to know about "flash flooding" in Bangkok.

Note carefully that as this intersection the center of the intersection is LOWER than the pavements on each side....when the pedestrians wait.

And where are the storm drains?

Why there are placed in the side of the pavement....maybe 10 or 15 cm HIGHER than the center of the intersection,

Since, even in Thailand, water does not run uphill, the center of the intersection does not drain....at leat until the water level reaches the level of the storm drains,

Result? Well, obviously the rain runoff water pools in the center of the intersection.

If you're trying to drain some place of water from heavy rains, it makes no sense to have those storm drains slightly higher than the lowest point you're trying to drain, does it?

blink.png

This seems to be a problem common to Thai engineers ! Near to my home on Samui, there is a very sharp bend with quite a camber from the outside of the bend probably 1/3rd of a meter. Guess where the drains are...........you got it, they are "cleverly" placed on the high side out of the way !

My statistics only go back 5 years. This year, at least in the northern suburbs, it has rained harder, longer and more often than it has in the previous years, including last year.

I have no statistics to back it up but i agree with you this is the worst in a long time. Worse then last year for sure. I also live in the northern suburbs.

But it is stupid that there is no such thing as cleaning those drains before there are problems. Looks like the BMA either does not want to work or has stolen the money already and cant spend it on maintenance.

Not any different of course of YL and her dams that still have not been build or are failing. All those politicians no matter what color they are skim / steal too much. Too bad there isn't a french style reckoning, but that would only mean that other corrupt people get the job. Too many believe corruption is acceptable.

• Like 1

I have no statistics to back it up but i agree with you this is the worst in a long time. Worse then last year for sure. I also live in the northern suburbs.

But it is stupid that there is no such thing as cleaning those drains before there are problems. Looks like the BMA either does not want to work or has stolen the money already and cant spend it on maintenance.

Not any different of course of YL and her dams that still have not been build or are failing. All those politicians no matter what color they are skim / steal too much. Too bad there isn't a french style reckoning, but that would only mean that other corrupt people get the job. Too many believe corruption is acceptable.

A reckoning is inevitable, next month, next year, next decade, but inevitable. The wealthier the people become, the less they will stand for this mess.

This article was a nonsensical childlike transcription of who said what in and out of context regardless of fact or verification.

The problem is there is no way to accurately measure rain fall in Bangkok. here in Chiang Mai we will often get rain in one part of the city and none in another.. Bangkok covers a much larger area and it is easy to get different figures if you measure in different areas.

I know it may be a small thing but with the amount of rain they do get unless some thing is done about the drainage systems the problem can only get worse. As Bangkok sinks the drainage systems also sink.

• Like 2

It doesn't really matter who is being unclear on the amount of rainfall, what is clear is that BKK cannot handle even normal rainfall.

If the drainage system was efficient enough then their wouldn't be the flooding of roads as we have all witnessed, clearly they are not efficient or not up to the job !!

99% of roads are fine. I haven't seen any flooding at all in central Bangkok, and I've been out and about every day. The water is draining away very quickly. There may be isolated instances of flooded roads, but these can be looked into and fixed.