Don't You People Need A Break From Thailand?

tartempion

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats arent that bad for you guys who need a break from thailand as oppose to me who take breaks in thailand.

i have this lovely rented house in mhs. lovely weather, lovely local food. excellent place to do some meditation. i could just take my chair out and spent the rest of the day with my kindle and ipad. if im feeling different i could just take out my pitbike for some light trail riding

i really hate the pace and the cuisine sick.gif when im back to korea for the usual business

• Like 1

If i spend anytime in asia, I miss the intellectual interchange you can have with americans or brits that you will struggle to have with the locals for multiple reasons. If I was in Issan, probably 5 months at a time would be all I could take too. Bangkok, I could go for much longer before leaving.

You didn't find me eh. Hmmmmmmmmm, your loss. laugh.png

I just returned from a three week trip to the USA. I didn't want to go so it was a duty visit. I visited my 91 year old mother and my two children. I am VERY happy to be back in Thailand.

I live in the boonies upcountry and I am content living there. I am at my condo in Jomtien getting over jet lag at the moment, but I'm looking forward to heading home back upcountry.

No, I don't need a break from Thailand.

I dont really get it you retire here then complain that its not like home. You dont say where in issan that you are. But that may be part of the problem. Living in the back of beyond. For me there are certainly frustrations living here but all told its better than the UK maybe if I came from paradiso europa like you. I might not like it so much here. ..biggrin.png

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Indeed, you don't get it....

I traveled on holidays for 10 years cris-crossing Thailand and decided for the Chumpon seaboard to retire, always dreamed living close to the sea.

Note I chose to rent a house 400 from the beach, not ON the beach, I needed the charm of hearing the waves in the distance, knowing it would be a 5 minutes walk to the sand and the water. I had a friend who rented a double house for himself right on the beach and often I went to sit in his garden relaxing and drinking a whiskey.

I learned bad weather is out there 6 months/year.

I came to Thailand for the weather in the first place.

For health reasons no mountains.

I lived in Paris, Montreal, Atlanta, Dusseldorf, Brussels, Amsterdam, turned my back to cities, towns and finally villages of any size.

Thus where I live now outside a village, surrounded by rice fields (hmm the fragrance of growing rice) and trees, sitting on the terrace in my sofa with my ipad full of books, walking my dogs in the fields: it is paradise for some months.

Then all things Thai get at me, however relaxed I might be in my sofa. These "things" have been described in all colors on this forum.

Marsbags described it all perfectly, thank you Mb.

Like people needing a holiday to get away from work or other misery like a dictator boss or money problems, bitchy wife, bad children, whatever, I need to get away from Thailand NOW, I can, I will and am perfectly happy to return to where I grew up, find and taste all the things Thailand does not have and never will (millions of them unfortunately).

Eager to get out of here tomorrow.

By October 15 I will miss my little paradise and by the end of October happy to re-posses my sofa here.

End of rant tongue.png

• Like 1

Every few months I need a "logic break" and head to somewhere more civilized and cleaner. Usually if I'm gone for 2 - 3 months, I will miss Thailand. Then I return and after a few months I need to leave again. It's a love / hate relationship. Thailand is sort of like that one woman we all have who you can never fully get out of your mind.

" Like people needing a holiday to get away from work or other misery like a dictator boss or money problems, bitchy wife, bad children, whatever, I need to get away from Thailand NOW, I can, I will and am perfectly happy to return to where I grew up, find and taste all the things Thailand does not have and never will (millions of them unfortunately)"

I was going to add something along these lines TT, as I was typing I kept thinking about the holidays most people take as and when they can to get a bit of relief from their everyday situations with the hope that those who appear cynical to what we do, might see it for what it really is.

Not a having a go or complaining about our lot, simply put, just ready for a " holiday " which in our case means a trip back home to enjoy the many comforts it gives us, feel the warmth of times gone by and most importantly, the presence of our loved ones and our friends.

I,m sorry if the following is considered off topic by some, but ask for understanding please...........

By the way TT I used to go to Gent a couple of times a year to see a dear Belgium friend who we originally met on a holiday in Teneriffe back in the eighties.

I was introduced to cooked mussels Belgium style, Enkel beer, Trappist Monks ( Dubbel and Quadruple ect. ) who really know how to brew, and your famous chocolateslicklips.gifamong other things.

The open " shared " toilets were I must admit, a bit of a shock at first ( casually peeing away washing the back of the urinal when the door opened and a couple of ladies walked in, never batted an eyelid and proceeded to carry out there business with a big grin on their faces, brought about I,m sure due to my initial responses to cover up and my expressions. laugh.png

The warmth of everyone was something I will always remember and we looked forward to our ferry trips from Hull and meeting our friend Marcel at Zeebrugge dock side ( his wife Maddy sadly passed away shortly after returning from Tenerrife and while it was after her funeral, the reason for our initial trip was to offer comfort and give him a cuddle ) I,m so pleased we decided to go to him.

Enjoy your break then TT, and come back content and refreshed.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 1

I dont really get it you retire here then complain that its not like home. You dont say where in issan that you are. But that may be part of the problem. Living in the back of beyond. For me there are certainly frustrations living here but all told its better than the UK maybe if I came from paradiso europa like you. I might not like it so much here. ..biggrin.png

Indeed, you don't get it....

I traveled on holidays for 10 years cris-crossing Thailand and decided for the Chumpon seaboard to retire, always dreamed living close to the sea.

Note I chose to rent a house 400 from the beach, not ON the beach, I needed the charm of hearing the waves in the distance, knowing it would be a 5 minutes walk to the sand and the water. I had a friend who rented a double house for himself right on the beach and often I went to sit in his garden relaxing and drinking a whiskey.

I learned bad weather is out there 6 months/year.

I came to Thailand for the weather in the first place.

For health reasons no mountains.

I lived in Paris, Montreal, Atlanta, Dusseldorf, Brussels, Amsterdam, turned my back to cities, towns and finally villages of any size.

Thus where I live now outside a village, surrounded by rice fields (hmm the fragrance of growing rice) and trees, sitting on the terrace in my sofa with my ipad full of books, walking my dogs in the fields: it is paradise for some months.

Then all things Thai get at me, however relaxed I might be in my sofa. These "things" have been described in all colors on this forum.

Marsbags described it all perfectly, thank you Mb.

Like people needing a holiday to get away from work or other misery like a dictator boss or money problems, bitchy wife, bad children, whatever, I need to get away from Thailand NOW, I can, I will and am perfectly happy to return to where I grew up, find and taste all the things Thailand does not have and never will (millions of them unfortunately).

Eager to get out of here tomorrow.

By October 15 I will miss my little paradise and by the end of October happy to re-posses my sofa here.

End of rant tongue.png

Ahhhhh that's why I dont get it. I work weekdays and relax weekends. Oh and I dont have a sofa :D

To be fair OP. I was thinking about what you said about pretty villages etc and you certainly are correct in my weekend travels over 6 central /eastern provinces.. they all looked pretty much the same .... crap.

I love going home

I love seeing my family and friends

I love eating the type of food I was brought up on

I love the TV at home

I love to go and watch my football team play , even if they don't win

But I also love coming back to Thailand when my holiday is over, here is home now, I get "pangs" about the old country, but a holiday is not like living there, and I get plenty of reminders why I would not want to go back and live there.

Could I live without going home? Definatley not......4 weeks a year and I can fulfill all my wants and needs

Could I live back home?...only if I had no choice, ran out of money or something like that......, but if push came to shove I would probably be OK...it's all about adjusting IMHO

Take what life gives you, it's not been such a bad ride

• Like 2

"Seriously, I don't believe in politicians anywhere in the world, but Thailand is worse."

I'm sorry OP, but you must not be real familiar with the Republican party of the USA.

syria has a good government i believe.

Seriously, I don't believe in politicians anywhere in the world, but Thailand is worse."

True true, worst of the worst, If cannot be at the same level of some Western countries at least they could follow the example of some other, like in Africa, Sudan, Chad, Somalia, Zimbabwe, or Iran, Iraq, Afganistan who have good governance too, or South American countries like Colombia, Venezuela, Paraguay all countries with excellent welfare and good educational system, no corruption, trustworthy police and judiciaries ...Pfff... disgusted!

I love going home

I love seeing my family and friends

I love eating the type of food I was brought up on

I love the TV at home

I love to go and watch my football team play , even if they don't win

But I also love coming back to Thailand when my holiday is over, here is home now, I get "pangs" about the old country, but a holiday is not like living there, and I get plenty of reminders why I would not want to go back and live there.

Could I live without going home? Definatley not......4 weeks a year and I can fulfill all my wants and needs

Could I live back home?...only if I had no choice, ran out of money or something like that......, but if push came to shove I would probably be OK...it's all about adjusting IMHO

Take what life gives you, it's not been such a bad ride

I've lost count whether its three or four years since I've been back, but I'm away back shortly for a sherbert with the boys, a game and to see my dear old mother. That'll be my first real foreign holiday for quite a while as well, unless you count a couple of work jollies to France

SC

No mention of Brazil? hot all year round, the women are fantastic, weird it wasn't on your short list.

Why would you go somewhere where it was hot all year round? Some of us might not be sex tourists, and not really bothered about the women in our holiday destinations (speculation on my part, I know, but it is possible; perhaps we should ask Eek or Phuturatica...)

I'm looking forward to a bit of a change for the weather, to be honest.

SC

• Like 1

I can't really comment as I work 6 month pr year overseas (2month on/off) so for me it's always nice to be back in LOS.

I just spend almost 6 weeks in Japan (working) and despite the extremely polite locals, beautiful girls/countryside &

everything works, but almost everything is bloody expensive, I was more than happy to return home to the "madness".

I live in Pattaya and are bored of my scull after 5 days in our house in Isaan (wife's) and tell my wife that tomorrow

we will be driving back to civilization or I will kill somebody (joking) just for having something to do.

I forgot to add that on this holiday I will NOT be going on any Japanese restaurants, really feed up with Jap food right now, lol.

Erh, it looks like you did 'comment'

You just had to comment on that, eh.wink.png

I haven't left in seven years and I really can't see a good reason why I ever would. Why are you bothered by Thai politicians? It's not your choice. If you hate it here so much well.... you can figure out what you need to do Thailand will not try to keep you here against your will.

The reason I like Thailand is because to me it's like living in Europe but in South-East Asia.Anyone who complains about the supermarkets has never been to Tops,I've lived in Spain and Portugal for many years and they have more imports than both countries.

The shelves are stacked with Waitrose products for Christ's sake,the number one posh supermarket in England,house prices actually go up if they decide to open a branch near to where you live in the UK!

7/11's open 24 hrs,you don't even get that in most of Europe,shops and banks open all weekend,where else do you get that in Europe,nowhere!Plus you know when you wake up in the morning it's going to be over 30 degrees that day,what more do you want?

Oh and Thai food,some of the best in the world,everywhere and cheaper than any other type of food.

I sometimes wonder if I live in a different Thailand to the people on here,good grief!rolleyes.gif

Edited by Vale Tudo

I sometimes wonder if I live in a different Thailand to the people on here,good grief!

You certainly have never seen an upscale supermarket in Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Germany, France....

Tops... My god, what a joke.

And Waitrose,the most upscale supermarket in the UK,which has the most powerful supermarkets in the world?

In fact,Asda is part of one of the biggest companies in the world,Wal-Mart!

Unfortunately you,my friend,have never seen an upscale supermarket,full stop.In the UK Aldi is not considered upmarket!*Facepalm*

Can you name one of your "upscale supermarkets" please,let's see how many people have heard of them?whistling.gif