2 Entry Tourist Visa Valid For 3 Months Or 6?

Hi all,

I'm a UK citizen, currently staying in Bulgaria.

On Friday I applied for a 2 entry tourist visa at the Thai Consulate in Sofia, and today I went and collected my passport.

I was expecting the visa to be valid for 6 months, but it is valid for 3, which could only be explained by the fact that Bulgairan citizens are allowed 30 days per entry, opposed to a UK citizen who is allowed 60.

Shouldn't the validity of the visa be dependent on the nationality of the applicant, or could it be that this consulate can only issue for a maximum of 3 months?

It just means I must exit Thailand twice rather than the once I was planning on.

Not really.

The double entry Tourist visas in this area (around Thailand) are 3 month, too.

But that means only, till which date you have to arrive, to get your 60 days, that you can extend another 30 days.

In fact, if you would arrive to Thailand by the end of the week, you would get 60 days, could extend by 30, but need to entry for the second time 'before xx . of Dec.. (I think, it is Dec., right?), to get another 60, with another option, to extend for another 30

Edited by noob7

We arrive in Thailand on the 2nd December which will be the first stamp, then this visa expires on the 27th December, so I must make a border run which is just a few weeks after the first entry.

I am due to fly back to the UK at the beginning of March, so it looks like I will be about a week short on the 60 days from the 2nd entry, which is the pain.

I forgot about the possibility to extend, so maybe that could be an option. A day trip to Laos works out tiring, let alone the nearly $40 fee for that visa just to go and turn around again.

I did apply for this visa early, I just presumed it would be valid for 6 months.

What about having the consulate cancel this one, and re-issuing say at the end of the month?

Has anyone heard of this before?

You will have to exit twice anyway if you want to stay 120 day+ but..

IF.. you have a double entry tourist visa(2 entry your wrote). You can try and persuade thai customs to overlook this at suvarnabhum and let you arrive in thailand as a bulgarian and get the 4 week visa which is given anyway. This means you have to fill out your arrival card without mentioning your double entry tourist visa. If you can do this(keep us informed) theoretically from december 2nd you could stay in Thailand for 5 months with a compulsory borer crossing before new year and 1 more 2 months later(which should just be within the 3 months you need)

It all depends on your plan. How many days and when do you want to stay exactly? If you want to come back the beginning of march you should be ok using your double entry visa but you have to exit before march 2. You will have reenter Thailand end of january only 1 time.

We arrive in Thailand on the 2nd December which will be the first stamp, then this visa expires on the 27th December, so I must make a border run which is just a few weeks after the first entry.

I am due to fly back to the UK at the beginning of March, so it looks like I will be about a week short on the 60 days from the 2nd entry, which is the pain.

I forgot about the possibility to extend, so maybe that could be an option. A day trip to Laos works out tiring, let alone the nearly $40 fee for that visa just to go and turn around again.

I did apply for this visa early, I just presumed it would be valid for 6 months.

What about having the consulate cancel this one, and re-issuing say at the end of the month?

Has anyone heard of this before?

Don't think, they will 'cancel' with a refund. But ask.

Extension for 30 days cost you 1900 Baht, so if you're ok with =<2 week from a landborder visarun, 40$ is cheaper!

But what you can try, too.

You wanna talk to the consulate, anyway. As I wrote, I do not think, they will refund, but there is a chance, they would issue another tourist visa on top.

Ask for a single entry tourist visa! This for the second needed entry.

And don't confuse the visa numbers on your first arrival, forget about the second entry of the double entry visa, which you have to use for the first entry. And do a visarun on the second tourist visa, as soon, it is in the time, you need.

I think, the consulate will understand this time problem, as will a Immigration officer.

I guess, you have all flights booked, right? So you can show, and tell, that you expected 6 month validity.

Oh, btw: Better don't let 'em (consulate) change anything on that existing visa, except making it invalid! Even if they would do so (what I do not know. But sometimes....) Could create 'issues' at the Immigration, later.

Good luck, but lots of options, anyway!

Edited by noob7

Some consulates give you 3 months others6 months, you also applied for your visa to soon. You should have waited closer to travel dates. The use by dates are for real. Also all tourist visas are the same 60 days per entry each can be extended for 30 days at immigration \. The 30 days you are refering to is the visa exempt permisson to enter on arrival,

Edited by moe666

3 tourist visas are valid for six months, and that is what you should have applied for. If you send your passport back to have those visas canceled, you will be charged full price for any new visas. The fact you are in Bulgaria has nothing to do with anything, your passport is from the UK, that is what they go by.

At this point it is cheaper to keep the visas, and use them like normal, one on first entry, then a border run for the second. At this point don't get an extension. Do another border run to Vientiane in Laos, and go to the Thai embassy, and get another tourist visa for bt1000 (it takes spending the night). This gives you 60 more days, and an extension if need be.

You enter on the 2nd December, and that expires in 60 days, not on the 27th of December. That 27th of December date only refers to the date the visas have to be used by. You esentially loose one of the visas, but following my directions covers your full time in THailand. The reason for getting another tourist visas in Laos is if you cross the border overland without a tourist visa then you only get a 15 day stamp, and that doesn't work for you. The tourist visa gives you 60 more days, and that will cover your 3 month stay.

Edited by lopburi3
correct font

My last dual entry TV (I'm Canadian) was issued on Feb 16 and had a "use before" date of May 15, which was 90 days from the date of issue. Just to clarify, the visa does not "expire" (technically speaking on the "use by" date issue) on the date noted on it, in my case, May 15, it must be "used" by that date. As long as you enter Thailand before the "Enter by" date, that is when the clock starts to run on the visa. The exact wording on the visa in my case is "Enter by May 15" that is when the visa must be activated or "used". For instance: If I waited until May 14 to use the first entry I need to go to immigration (in my case Chiang Mai) by July 12 (60 days) pay 1,900 baht for a 30 day extension for a total of 90 days. Then do a border run, (in my case Mae Sai) to Burma, a quick out and back in starts the clock on the second entry, in this case July 12. 60 days later, September 9th, off to immigration again to extend for another 30 days. Therefore, one border run required for a full 180 days.

Edited by DowntownAl

You have a double entry visa that expires on 27 December. If you arrive on 2 December, this activates the first entry. You will get 60 days permission to stay. Ignore the permission to stay date stamped in your passport and do a border run on 26 December. You must enter another country and will have to purchase a visa at the border. (Myanmar, 500 baht, Cambodia, $20, Laos, $35 and Malaysia free). When you re-enter you will get 60 days permission to stay, to 25 February. In the middle of February, go to immigration and extend that for 30 days, 1900 baht. That should give you to late March with only one border run. The total cost will be visa to another country, cost of border run and 1900 baht for extension.

The visa is only a "ticket" to enter Thailand and you must enter before 27 December. It does not determine how long you can stay. That is determined by immigration and the type of visa that you have. You can have permission to stay beyond the validity date of the visa.

Have fun!

My last dual entry TV (I'm Canadian) was issued on Feb 16 and had a "use before" date of May 15, which was 90 days from the date of issue. Just to clarify, the visa does not "expire" (technically speaking on the "use by" date issue) on the date noted on it, in my case, May 15, it must be "used" by that date. As long as you enter Thailand before the "Enter by" date, that is when the clock starts to run on the visa. The exact wording on the visa in my case is "Enter by May 15" that is when the visa must be activated or "used". For instance: If I waited until May 14 to use the first entry I need to go to immigration (in my case Chiang Mai) by July 12 (60 days) pay 1,900 baht for a 30 day extension for a total of 90 days. Then do a border run, (in my case Mae Sai) to Burma, a quick out and back in starts the clock on the second entry, in this case July 12. 60 days later, September 9th, off to immigration again to extend for another 30 days. Therefore, one border run required for a full 180 days.

The use by date is when the visa can no longer be used. With a double entry visa it mens that both entries must be made before that date, not just the first entry. Any entry that you don't make before/on the use by date can no longer be used as the visa is expired.

The validity of a visa starts from the day it was granted.

Not really.

The double entry Tourist visas in this area (around Thailand) are 3 month, too.

Some consulates give you 3 months others6 months,

The fact you are in Bulgaria has nothing to do with anything, your passport is from the UK, that is what they go by.

2 against 1 so far, and ths is the question that would be most relevent in trying to get the visa changed.

I have reasons for applying so early, (will be moving around Europe with wife next month) so if I was issued with a 6 month validity visa as I thought I would be, it would have been classed as "good timing"

There's still lots of options to get around this, thanks for all your suggestions, but for now the easiest and cheapest way would be to try to get this visa changed beforehand, IF that is possible.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

I've had a reply from the Consulate which puts this matter to bed:

"From the instruction that I have from Thai Foreign Ministry, all Tourist visas issued from us are valid 90 days"

So, the extension on the 2nd entry (26th Dec.) will be the solution.

Thanks again.

"From the instruction that I have from Thai Foreign Ministry, all Tourist visas issued from us are valid 90 days"

Thanks again.

Sorry but that info is wrong a tourist visa is only good for 60 days before the 60th day one goes to a immigration office in Thailand and extends that visa for 30 days giving you 90 days. If you do not extend the visa it is only good for 60 days. I have done this personally a few times so know the drill.

whistling.gif

I'm a UK citizen, currently staying in Bulgaria.

---------------------

The key question is.....what passport do you hold?

If your passport is a U.K. passport.....then you will be regarded as a U.K. citizen when entering Thailand by immigration.

Therefore you should get the 60 day entry on arrival for that double entry vixa....as any U.K. passport would.

You can extend that entry for another 30 days here in Thailand at immigration for 1900 Baht.

The importat thing to understand is that on any double or triple entry that must be used before date means all entries on that visa must be made by that date.

So for all practical purposes, a double entry or triple entry visa, with one unused entry, can not be used after that must be used before date for another entry.

One day before that must be used before date...you can enter and get a legal 60 day permission to stay stamp.

One day after that date, even if you have one entry left on that double or triple entry visa....your last entry is void.

That's exactly why you must pay atention to that must be used before date very carefully.

whistling.gif

3 tourist visas are valid for six months, and that is what you should have applied for. If you send your passport back to have those visas canceled, you will be charged full price for any new visas. The fact you are in Bulgaria has nothing to do with anything, your passport is from the UK, that is what they go by...

The period for which a visa is valid for travel does not depend on the nationality of the passport holder. If your travel itinerary or ticket copies show the need for a six-month visa validity and you explain this need in a letter accompanying your application I am quite sure you will get the six-month validity, except perhaps when applying in a neighbouring country of Thailand.

I recently went to Savannkhet a piad for a triple entry tv 3000Baht and only got a 90 day visa 60+30 day extention for 1900 baht but on my visa it clearly states it's a triple entry what can be done about that ,

Thanks again.

Sorry but that info is wrong a tourist visa is only good for 60 days before the 60th day one goes to a immigration office in Thailand and extends that visa for 30 days giving you 90 days. If you do not extend the visa it is only good for 60 days. I have done this personally a few times so know the drill.

Validity of the visa (90) he got in the consulsate, not given time (60), entering Thailand with it.

I recently went to Savannkhet a piad for a triple entry tv 3000Baht and only got a 90 day visa 60+30 day extention for 1900 baht but on my visa it clearly states it's a triple entry what can be done about that

Nothing. Visa expiration is 90 days from date of issue and that is what you obtained. Some consulates will provide longer but that is a decision they make and is not done at local consulates. If you asked for 3 entries it must be because you plan frequent travel and can make use of three entries during the 90 day validity is the rational for issue.

I recently went to Savannkhet a piad for a triple entry tv 3000Baht and only got a 90 day visa 60+30 day extention for 1900 baht but on my visa it clearly states it's a triple entry what can be done about that ,

leave and enter Thailand 2 times more?

So not do the 30 day extention,taking it to 90 days i live near Chong Chom. the cambodia border.if i go out there i will only get a 15 day visa .for thailand ? or will they activate my 2nd tv entry . i'm lost with all this visa malarky.

I'm Briitish and have a UK passport .

Edited by Boyce

So not do the 30 day extention,taking it to 90 days i live near Chong Chom. the cambodia border.if i go out there i will only get a 15 day visa .for thailand ? or will they activate my 2nd tv entry . i'm lost with all this visa malarky.

Visa and entry stamp, two different things!

First question: validity of the visa, issued from the consulate, please?

In Europe, you get triple entry tourist visas with 180 days validity. Don't know about the days here. Actually wasn't knowing, they 'do' triple entries around here. What did you need to show them? Money, only?

If 180 days valid, and you wanna stay longer, as about 180 days (up to ~ 265 days are possible). extend for 30, before doing the next/first land border run.

Extend 30 days again, and do the last border run, just before 'enter before' date That will get you another 60 + 30!

3x 60+30, only the 'second entrys +30 period' need to be a bit shorter, b/c of the validity of the visa in the passport!

Anyway, with a Visa in your Passport (The stamp/.sticker, issued from a consulate/embassy) you HAVE a visa, when you arrive.

Thist means, you don't get only the entry stamp on arrival (15 by land/30 by air), they will get you the time (60 days for tourist here), that your visa is for. 3 times, you cross the border to Thailand.

If you don't want to extend to the max, b/c <=180 days are good enough, don't extent fort 30/1900Baht, do the run, get 60.

It really depends, what number of days you are planning to stay, in Thailand.

Not wanna complicate this, but: In case you wanna leave Thailand for a 'holiday' to another country, you may reconsider re-entry stamps.

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Visa and entry stamp, two different things!

First question: validity of the visa, issued from the consulate, please?

In Europe, you get triple entry tourist visas with 180 days validity. Don't know about the days here. Actually wasn't knowing, they 'do' triple entries around here. What did you need to show them? Money, only?

If 180 days valid, and you wanna stay longer, as about 180 days (up to ~ 265 days are possible). extend for 30, before doing the next/first land border run.

Extend 30 days again, and do the last border run, just before 'enter before' date That will get you another 60 + 30!

3x 60+30, only the 'second entrys +30 period' need to be a bit shorter, b/c of the validity of the visa in the passport!

Anyway, with a Visa in your Passport (The stamp/.sticker, issued from a consulate/embassy) you HAVE a visa, when you arrive.

Thist means, you don't get only the entry stamp on arrival (15 by land/30 by air), they will get you the time (60 days for tourist here), that your visa is for. 3 times, you cross the border to Thailand.

If you don't want to extend to the max, b/c <=180 days are good enough, don't extent fort 30/1900Baht, do the run, get 60.

It really depends, what number of days you are planning to stay, in Thailand.

Not wanna complicate this, but: In case you wanna leave Thailand for a 'holiday' to another country, you may reconsider re-entry stamps.

coffee1.gif

Thank you noob7,

Enter before date 5th nov 2012 on my first triple, tv entry, and my thai border stamp is upto 6th oct 2012.

so i will go the the thai office at chong chom and get a 30 day extention paying 19000 Baht , taking me upto the 5th nov 2012 , so on the 4th nov i will do a border hop and then get my 2nd entry on my triple tv, is that the way it goes , sorry to be so vague , but i have been told so meny different stories.

Edited by Boyce

That would not make much sense if you only have 90 days to use 3 entries and live near a border. Just cross and return after 60 days and again just before 90 days - no extension of stay fees required until after the third entry and will provide almost six months stay.

Thank you noob7,

Enter before date 5th nov 2012 on my first triple, tv entry, and my thai border stamp is upto 6th oct 2012.

so i will go the the thai office at chong chom and get a 30 day extention paying 19000 Baht , taking me upto the 5th nov 2012 , so on the 4th nov i will do a border hop and then get my 2nd entry on my triple tv, is that the way it goes , sorry to be so vague , but i have been told so meny different stories.

1900Baht, not 19000 whistling.gif

Extend now, do the visa run in November, that will work.

Entering 'before 5. of Nov.', looks to me, you paid a triple entry, that you can't use more, as a double.

Did you tell 'em (consulate), you wanna travel neighboring countries and leave Thailand, twice?

Or did they only wanted to charge more money?

Do you really have a triple visa in your passport? The 3000 Baht is saying yes, but the validity usually isn't!

How did you manage, to get the triple entry visa? What date did you get it?

That would not make much sense if you only have 90 days to use 3 entries and live near a border. Just cross and return after 60 days and again just before 90 days - no extension of stay fees required until after the third entry and will provide almost six months stay.

3 entries with 90 days, makes no sense at all! In Europe, you get 180 days, for a triple visa.

And I got told, always, there are no such triple available, around Thailand.

Maybe b/c there aren't useful, with only 90 days?

Anyone in the forum has experience with triple tourist visas from the area?