Will 5000 Bath Papermoney Comes In The Future?

As Thailand is mostly a cash economy, 5,000Bht notes would be a great idea. Buying a car or a big bike is a pain in the pocket carrying it all in $32 notes.

In retrospect maybe not so good when the inflationary effect kicks in.

The equivalent value of a months wages.

Already hard enough to break a 1,000 note at so many places - can't imagine the headache of trying to break a 5,000 note when buying my chicken and rice lunch ;-)

edit:

Sorry you beat me to it:

You must be joking, its bad enough with 1,000 getting change....reminds me of Greece when they introduced the 10,000 Drachma, couldnt change anywhere....except banks.

Edited by Nisa

Already hard enough to break a 1,000 note at so many places - can't imagine the headache of trying to break a 5,000 note when buying my chicken and rice lunch ;-)

edit:

Sorry you beat me to it:

You must be joking, its bad enough with 1,000 getting change....reminds me of Greece when they introduced the 10,000 Drachma, couldnt change anywhere....except banks.

What you talking about Willis!!!!

I change 1000b notes all the time its easy. Go the shop but some beer 120b get change 640b. Is that not how it works :)

• Like 1

We might soon get a new coin: In February 2010 the Treasury Department of Thailand has stated that they have been planning a new circulation 20 baht coin.

Has anybody seen this in circulation?: On August 9, 2012, the Bank of Thailand issued new denomination banknote, 80 baht, to commemorate H.M. Queen Sirikit's 80th birthday.

If they do introduce a new note, it'll probably be a similar fiasco as the 2 Baht coin: make it virtually indistinguishable from existing currency in both colour and size; then redesign it so it looks different; and finally decide to withdraw it.

If they do introduce a new note, it'll probably be a similar fiasco as the 2 Baht coin: make it virtually indistinguishable from existing currency in both colour and size; then redesign it so it looks different; and finally decide to withdraw it.

If Thida was in charge she could take a leaf out of the old Soviet book and introduce a 3 baht note.

post-17813-0-95734400-1349162522_thumb.j

If Thida was in charge she could take a leaf out of the old Soviet book and introduce a 3 baht note.

post-17813-0-95734400-1349162522_thumb.j

At least no Thai politician would be as crazy as Burma's Ne Win who introduced 45 and 90 Kyat notes in 1988 because a fortune teller told him he'd live to 90 if he did so.

Of course, it seems to have worked: Ne Win lived to about 92. (His date of birth is uncertain.) Unfortunately, this "reform" further crippled Burma's economy.

And of course, no Thai politician would every do anything to harm Thailand's economy - not even Newin Chidchob who was named after Burma's Ne Win.

• Like 1

I think Thailand is actually becoming a much less cash dependent country. I notice considerably more people using and places accepting credit cards now than even just a couple years ago. Their ATM cards have had Visa / MC logos on them for a long time but I know in the past they haven't been able to be used like credit cards (slide / no pin entering or ordering online) but maybe that is finally starting to change.

I think Thailand is actually becoming a much less cash dependent country. I notice considerably more people using and places accepting credit cards now than even just a couple years ago. Their ATM cards have had Visa / MC logos on them for a long time but I know in the past they haven't been able to be used like credit cards (slide / no pin entering or ordering online) but maybe that is finally starting to change.

Would be a move forward when family mart and 7 -11 start taking card payments

Would be a move forward when family mart and 7 -11 start taking card payments

I'm guessing their margins may be too small as to why they don't but they are one of the places I can depend on to be able to break a 1,000 baht note ;-)

It still wouldn't be as nice as a 1000 Swiss Franc note.

a beauty!

jsgboggs_ban2.jpg

Its worthless fiat money. Haven't you heard?

sigh... sad.png i console myself that i bought recently a bunch of CHF with worthless fiat Dollars and now i'm a bit confused. does the 7% appreciation of the CHF make them more worthless than the Dollars or are they 7% less worthless? these kind of questions don't let me sleep properly.

7/11 must be cringing at the prospect.

I wonder if they would use a calculator to recheck the amount three times that is listed on the receipt before handing it over for you to sign.

5000 baht note? I don't see the point. The 500 Euro note was effectively withdrawn from the UK because the police found nine out of every 10 of the notes in circulation were linked to crime.

OK 5000 Baht is not the same value but one might imagine it would be used for a similar purpose

5000 baht note? I don't see the point. The 500 Euro note was effectively withdrawn from the UK because the police found nine out of every 10 of the notes in circulation were linked to crime.

OK 5000 Baht is not the same value but one might imagine it would be used for a similar purpose

in continental Europe, Thailand and a bunch of other countries nobody cares. so now the criminals in UK use €200 notes?

in continental Europe, Thailand and a bunch of other countries nobody cares. so now the criminals in UK use €200 notes?

Maybe nobody cares, I was just making a comment in reply to the original post and suggesting a 5000 baht note may not be required by the law abiding man on the street, if the criminals now use the 200 euro note in the Uk then at least it makes it a little more difficult for them to hide and transact their cash.

Maybe nobody cares, I was just making a comment in reply to the original post and suggesting a 5000 baht note may not be required by the law abiding man on the street, if the criminals now use the 200 euro note in the Uk then at least it makes it a little more difficult for them to hide and transact their cash.

that is correct because the average law abiding man in the streets of Thailand is too poor to carry a 5k Baht note in his wallet.

It still wouldn't be as nice as a 1000 Swiss Franc note.

a beauty!

jsgboggs_ban2.jpg

Its worthless fiat money. Haven't you heard?

sigh... sad.png i console myself that i bought recently a bunch of CHF with worthless fiat Dollars and now i'm a bit confused. does the 7% appreciation of the CHF make them more worthless than the Dollars or are they 7% less worthless? these kind of questions don't let me sleep properly.

OK Naam, I'll help you sleep- you can donate those worthless fiat dollars to me :)

Has anybody seen this in circulation?: On August 9, 2012, the Bank of Thailand issued new denomination banknote, 80 baht, to commemorate H.M. Queen Sirikit's 80th birthday.

I've never seen this either... But I asked the wife, and she said she thought the 80 baht notes were only issued as some kind of collector's items...