Automatic Switchover From Non O To Retirement Visa ?

I had a Non O visa from the U.K. based on income and over 50 years. That has just expired.

I do have a 1 year Retirement visa now (report every 90 days) from immigration at Jomtien based on income. This was in my passport before the Non O visa expired.

My question is, do I have to activate the new (Retirement) visa or is it done automatically and then I report on the date on the new visa.

You must have visited immigration for an extension of stay using a TM.7 form and paying 1,900 baht and obtained a stamp in your passport extending your stay until xx xxx xxxx. All you do not is report every 90 days until about 30 days before that expiration when when you will again visit immigration with financial proof and extend for the next year using the same TM.7 and 1,900 baht.

You do not have a visa - you have an extension of stay from Jomtien based on retirement. You must obtain a re-entry permit prior to any travel to keep your extension of stay.

You must have visited immigration for an extension of stay using a TM.7 form and paying 1,900 baht and obtained a stamp in your passport extending your stay until xx xxx xxxx. All you do not is report every 90 days until about 30 days before that expiration when when you will again visit immigration with financial proof and extend for the next year using the same TM.7 and 1,900 baht.

You do not have a visa - you have an extension of stay from Jomtien based on retirement. You must obtain a re-entry permit prior to any travel to keep your extension of stay.

Yes I did.

Thanks for that clarification Lopburi. I did not want to have made a mistake :)

Just make sure you get a re entry visa before you LEAVE Thailand if travelling, if you don't your extension of stay will be cancelled I told this to an American friend who is 70 years old he got to the airport forgot to purchase he re-entry visa and presto when he returned all he got was a 30 day tourist visa If you know you are leaving Thailand you can go to your local immigration and purchase it there do not leave it until the last minute

Visa and Extension of Stay terminology does confuse a lot of people...definitely confused me early on. But basically a Visa is obtained outside of Thailand and an Extension of Stay obtained within Thailand. And of course somewhat different paperwork requirements, with the Extension of Stay being very lite on the paperwork since it's partly based on the Visa which gave you the initial stay period/authorization, where the long stay Visa is normally not as lite on the paperwork (i.e, medical exam, police record check, etc., needed). Kinda like how "initially" getting a driver's license includes paper and road tests (kinda like getting the Visa) where the "renewal" normally don't require any such tests but does have certain requirements (kinda like the Extension of Stay). Heck, about the only real requirement to get an Extension of Stay is the income requirements which is proved through XXXK baht in a Thai bank and/or home country embassy income letter.

Ah, I better shut up...I'm probably just confusing the terminology even more for some. wink.png

• Like 2

Spend the bt1000, and get a single reentry permit. It is good for as long as the retirement extension, and will protect you in case you have to leave the country unexpectedly. It is almost foolish not to get one the same time you get the extension. My immigration officer that processed my extension recommended to me to spend the bt3800 for the unlimited reentry permit given the amount of times I leave the country every year, and in just 5 months it has already been worth it. I spent an extra 2 hours in NongKai on one trip in the past as I'd forgot to get a reentry permit beforehand crossing into Laos. That wasted 2 hours just sitting around dampened my client's disposition somewhat to say the least.

Visa and Extension of Stay terminology does confuse a lot of people...definitely confused me early on. But basically a Visa is obtained outside of Thailand and an Extension of Stay obtained within Thailand. And of course somewhat different paperwork requirements, with the Extension of Stay being very lite on the paperwork since it's partly based on the Visa which gave you the initial stay period/authorization, where the long stay Visa is normally not as lite on the paperwork (i.e, medical exam, police record check, etc., needed). Kinda like how "initially" getting a driver's license includes paper and road tests (kinda like getting the Visa) where the "renewal" normally don't require any such tests but does have certain requirements (kinda like the Extension of Stay). Heck, about the only real requirement to get an Extension of Stay is the income requirements which is proved through XXXK baht in a Thai bank and/or home country embassy income letter.

Ah, I better shut up...I'm probably just confusing the terminology even more for some. wink.png

Pib, you get an "A" for effort for trying to explain the terminology. It is indeed confusing, and takes a while to understand. They should just change the name of the dam_n thing to "retirement visa" and be done with it.

Edited by curtklay