Work Stay Extension Now Only Valid For 90 Days At A Time!

Hey all,

Today I went with my employer to our local visa office to apply for (what we thought) another year for me to work here. We had all the documents, everything was in order (though I know that rarely means a smooth ride in any immigration office in the World). I was expecting some kind of hiccup, because quite frankly the immigration system is ludicrously bad, but I wasn't prepared for what I was told.

Basically, I've been told we are no longer allowed to apply for a years stay on a work permit. Now, instead of the easy 90-day reporting procedure (which I have never had a problem with and have never been late for) we are to re-apply for the same visa again, every 90 days. The office told me that I have to come in before my 90 days are up and re-apply not only to stay in Thailand to work (despite my work permit going for 1 year) but also pay the 1900 baht fee to do so.

Now I was furious, but I'm not stupid, (or man) enough to take on any police officers so I didn't say anything about it and made sure I got my 90 days. But I spoke to my boss and my girlfriend called a gentleman who runs a Thai visa run company, and they both said that this is the new rule.

So in short, apparently now 90 days is the limit on a B-visa, and you now have to pay 4 times the amount to stay in the Country for a year, in 3-month installments.

Is this for real, or am I being given nonsense stories from my local immigration?

Hey all,

Today I went with my employer to our local visa office to apply for (what we thought) another year for me to work here. We had all the documents, everything was in order (though I know that rarely means a smooth ride in any immigration office in the World). I was expecting some kind of hiccup, because quite frankly the immigration system is ludicrously bad, but I wasn't prepared for what I was told.

Basically, I've been told we are no longer allowed to apply for a years stay on a work permit. Now, instead of the easy 90-day reporting procedure (which I have never had a problem with and have never been late for) we are to re-apply for the same visa again, every 90 days. The office told me that I have to come in before my 90 days are up and re-apply not only to stay in Thailand to work (despite my work permit going for 1 year) but also pay the 1900 baht fee to do so.

Now I was furious, but I'm not stupid, (or man) enough to take on any police officers so I didn't say anything about it and made sure I got my 90 days. But I spoke to my boss and my girlfriend called a gentleman who runs a Thai visa run company, and they both said that this is the new rule.

So in short, apparently now 90 days is the limit on a B-visa, and you now have to pay 4 times the amount to stay in the Country for a year, in 3-month installments.

Is this for real, or am I being given nonsense stories from my local immigration?

That total BS my friend I have just renewed my as usual no NEW RULE ....

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Maybe it's good to tell us what kind of work you're doing without getting to much into detail and where the immigration office is located.

From my experience, they used to extend my stay pending the extension of my WP with 2 or 3 months.

I paid THB 1,900 for the one extension and as soon as the approval for the Immigration in Bangkok returned they extended my stay up to the full year......for free!

This is the second day of a new month so in theory there could have been a change at start of October - has anyone else extended this month yet? As asked it might be helpful if you could provide general employment type and where.

I imagine your salary is not enough for the yearly extension of permission to stay for work permit holders.

Please state your declared salary.

Good point, but:

Isn't any extension on wp 'in need' of enough salary?

Either 90 days visaruns, or 1 year extension, right?

Firstly, apologies for the unclear title. I am indeed talking about the extension of stay for my visa - not my work permit. I applied for a non-immigrant 'B' visa which I recieved last year. I'm not sure if perhaps I need to get a new 'B' visa as honestly that's not something I had considered until now.

For the last year I've been working here and doing the 90 day reporting with no problems.

Again, this is not about my work permit. I've received my work permit already for a year. This is at immigration where the following happened: me and my boss walked over to the desk we were called to and my boss explains that I am here to extend my stay. We hand over the form, she looks it over, sees I've applied for a year and says, 'No, you cannot apply for a year extension anymore, only 90 days'. She walks off to hand the form over to another officer whom I've dealt with before. He's not all that friendly but he was pretty good to me last year so I just have to let him deal with it. He tells my boss that it has indeed changed, and I can no longer apply for a yearly extension any longer. No more 90 day reporting, I now have to re-apply every 90 days for another extension.

On reflection, maybe I need to get a new 'B' visa. Or perhaps they were just doing it for a kick, but I doubt that. I know immigration can be tricky here, but I doubt they'd get away with 'toying' with people for too long.

DavidSL, at which immigration office did this occur?

Maybe it's good to tell us what kind of work you're doing without getting to much into detail and where the immigration office is located.

From my experience, they used to extend my stay pending the extension of my WP with 2 or 3 months.

I paid THB 1,900 for the one extension and as soon as the approval for the Immigration in Bangkok returned they extended my stay up to the full year......for free!

It was tricky for me to get my visa sorted last year, but it was only tricky in terms of paperwork. After all the nonsense and management throwing their weight around, I got my stamp for a year, 5 October 2011 to 5 October 2012.

I'm teaching English. This all occurred in the Samut Prakan branch, Paknam.

Maybe they just don't like you and thought it would be fun to give you some grief. But, what probably happened is that it just got "lost in translation".

Yeah, but I doubt that, I'm so dam_n likeable! wai.gif Seriously, though, I really think this is nonsense. As for it being 'lost in translation' I got my stamp for three months clearly on my passport, and my boss (who is fluent in English) was doing the translating.

I imagine your salary is not enough for the yearly extension of permission to stay for work permit holders.

Please state your declared salary.

Again, my title was misleading. This is about my extension of stay, and I'm earning the same I was last year when I was issued with the year, so that would make no sense. I'm pretty sure this isn't about money, well, not the money I'm earning, anyway.

Not sure about a change of rules, but if the school you work for has a high turnover of teachers that could explain it, if it is in fact a regular school, and not just a language school. There have been lots of changes in the last few years in how language school visas are handled. If it is a language school you work for it sounds like the change now treats foreign teachers the same as foreign students in extension time frames, and the cost.

That is indeed the story I am being given. My boss has explained that immigration have said that because hers is a small language school (I am the only teacher in her employ now) that I am required to apply for a new visa every 3 months. Larger schools apparently have their own means to apply for visas on behalf of their teachers, and therefore larger schools are able to obtain visas for a year. It makes zero sense to me, though - how many school terms require a teacher for just 3 months?

Where it really fails to make sense, though, is how this all happened. You see, upon receiving my extension form the officer knew nothing of who I was or who my boss was. She did not look through ANY paperwork. She literally looked at the form, saw 365 days and said, 'No, you can only apply for a 90 day extension'. She did not ask where I was working or for whom, and she made no request for any information. She didn't even look at my passport. It was literally, 'You can only extend for 90 days' as if she would say that to everyone.

I really think something is wrong here.

If you feel it is wrong, contact the government information line: 1111.

They also have immirgation officers and can answer any question you have and if need be will contact the imigration office or officer in question for explanation.

That is indeed the story I am being given. My boss has explained that immigration have said that because hers is a small language school (I am the only teacher in her employ now) that I am required to apply for a new visa every 3 months. Larger schools apparently have their own means to apply for visas on behalf of their teachers, and therefore larger schools are able to obtain visas for a year. It makes zero sense to me, though - how many school terms require a teacher for just 3 months?

Where it really fails to make sense, though, is how this all happened. You see, upon receiving my extension form the officer knew nothing of who I was or who my boss was. She did not look through ANY paperwork. She literally looked at the form, saw 365 days and said, 'No, you can only apply for a 90 day extension'. She did not ask where I was working or for whom, and she made no request for any information. She didn't even look at my passport. It was literally, 'You can only extend for 90 days' as if she would say that to everyone.

For purposes of extension of stay, the documents below are required, and maybe the school doesnt comply with these requirments and hence the reason why immigration have decided you are now on a 90 day visa, and in the past they have done you a favour, but now they intend to make the school fully comply with all the requirements, I have highlighted some of the requirments a small school may not comply with, therefore you would not be given the extension.

Documents required for the extension:

1. Application form (T.M. 7 )

2. Passport or document used in lien of passport and its copies .

3. The applicants 4 x 6 cm. photograph .

4. Extension fee Baht 1,900.-

5. The company letters certifying as follows ;

- Nature of business

- Reason or necessity in employing the applicant his / her position, salary and education background.

- Number of Thai and foreign employees.

6. Copies of work permit or receipt of work permit application.

7. Company's annual balance sheets.

8. The juristic persons Annual Income Tax Declaration Form (Form No.50) of the latest year and its receipt of payment.

9. Thai employees Monthly Income Tax Declaration Form (Form No.1 ) of the latest month and its receipt of payment.

10. The applicants Annual Income Tax Declaration Form (Form No.91) of the latest year and its receipt of payment.

11. The official letter that certify the registration of such juristic person.

12. Business Registration or Business License.

13. Value Added Tax Registration and list of share holders.

14. A map that indicate location of the Company.

15. For those who operate export business, the documentary evidence clarifying its export activities is needed.

16. For those who operate tourism business, the documentary evidence clarifying its total number of tourist that brought in by the company is needed.

I work for a small private school just opened this year, only 38 students, but has six classrooms, minimum hours, enrollment will increase next year. am on first 90 days of Non B. Go for extension next month. Will be interesting to see if I am given 90 days or longer, will advise. Took 4 months to prepare proper docs for Non B and and a few weeks later for W.P months Had to do everything myself with help from g/f Thai teacher. Missing one document from Min. of Ed, in Kalasin, had to go back to Laos a second time, for Non B all expenses mine, almost not worth it in the end, should have just gone back to my retirement visa. MOE Kalasin put note in passport quoting name of School that W.P. is valid for

Would not give me receipt when paid 3,100 Bhat for what would be 7 months work.

Receipt given same day as W.P.

Got teachers licence today, good for 2 years, lists the name of the school. I assume maybe incorrectly that it is good for any school????? Any thoughts on that??????

Now will be signing contract with second school, to work at both, can get permission from first school. I can imagine the nightmare when I go for extension if I tell immigration now have second school. I think better just to keep my mouth shut and show contract for first school and W.P. for such.

I do not like hand written notes in my passport that are in Thai.

Edited by Colabamumbai

Surprise surprise.....Just left Sakhon Nakhon Immigration for RE-entry permit.

I asked when I come for my extension NOn B in November how long will you give me. I told them my contract expires March 31 2013 end of school year.

With my passport in Khun Wirat Somjai's hands he said.

Quote "You will be given your extension until the date your contract ends March 31 2013.

So I hope that settles any questions or misunderstandings.........No questions about salary or work hours. 16 hrs a week teaching school at an hourly salary.

Any questions p.m. me

Edited by Colabamumbai

Yes something is wrong read my latest post.

Surprise surprise.....Just left Sakhon Nakhon Immigration for RE-entry permit.

I asked when I come for my extension NOn B in November how long will you give me. I told them my contract expires March 31 2013 end of school year.

With my passport in Khun Wirat Somjai's hands he said.

Quote "You will be given your extension until the date your contract ends March 31 2013.

So I hope that settles any questions or misunderstandings.........No questions about salary or work hours. 16 hrs a week teaching school at an hourly salary.

Any questions p.m. me

This only answers your circumstances not the OP's, as pointed out earlier for extension of stay both the indivdual and the school/company concerned need to "qualify" and in the OP's case the school may not qualify ie some of the company or school documents that need to be supplied are:

8. The juristic persons Annual Income Tax Declaration Form (Form No.50) of the latest year and its receipt of payment.

9. Thai employees Monthly Income Tax Declaration Form (Form No.1 ) of the latest month and its receipt of payment.

10. The applicants Annual Income Tax Declaration Form (Form No.91) of the latest year and its receipt of payment.

11. The official letter that certify the registration of such juristic person.

12. Business Registration or Business License.

13. Value Added Tax Registration and list of share holders.

If the school doesnt supply or doesnt have one or more of the abovementioned company/school documents, Immigration is within their rights to not issue an extension to an indiviudal and the answer to the OP's question may in the following statement from immigration:

"My boss has explained that immigration have said that because hers is a small language school (I am the only teacher in her employ now) that I am required to apply for a new visa every 3 months"

Immigration may have in the past turned a blind eye to all requirements to allow the school to get all the required documents together and they have failed to do so and now they have decided to play by the book.

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1