Bike Ownership Transfer : Steps Involved?

Harley62

Please forgive my ignorance, but I have not purchased a motorbike before in Thailand, and I'm not 100% clear on how this process should work.

I'm about to buy a 2nd hand bike, and the owner is no longer in Thailand. His wife and family are selling the bike, and do have the Green Book, original sales receipt (they are original owner), and a completed transfer form--which the husband apparently filled-in before he left Thailand permanently.

According to the wife, I can simply fill-in the "buyer's" section of the same form, take it and the Green Book and copy of the husband's Passport (Finland) to a transfer office (Phuket Town, in my case?) and my Passport copy (USA) and the transfer is done while I wait...?? Is this correct?

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I really do not know if this is accurate information....

She also claims that the local Dealer can do all of this for me IF I give them all the forms and paperwork, for an additional THB 1000 fee.

She did not say if this has to be done at the purchasing dealer, or not...for example, will a Honda dealer process the transfer for a Suzuki motorbike (if I pay their fee)? Just curious how this all normally works....

Thanks in advance for any tips, or ideas on how to do this easily / cheaply.

HMB