Gps Device For The Technologically Challenged

I've finally decided to bite the bullet and get a GPS for the car, but I'm quite challenged with the technology. Can someone tell me what is the simplest, brightest, and easiest to use GPS available at the moment, that is also not too expensive. Also best places to buy. I am tired of only knowing a few routes in Bangkok. Advice appreciated. I've heard that Garmin is the standard, but which one ?

Very simply, go to Siam Paragon and buy a Garmin (best place not to have issues with warranty and the like). They are quite easy to use, and if not get the saleslady to explain how it works. In general, you must just choose whether you are looking for an address or a place (POI selection = > gas stations, department stores, etc).

One caveat: a GPS will often choose the straightest line from point A to point B and will not know that the traffic will make you lose as much time as doing a detour. So, in the end, it is up to you to look at a map, and maybe also go with someone a few times around. There are a lot of shortcuts here for who knows them... You must just learn to discover them. An experienced taxi can be also a perfect guide for discovering new routes. thumbsup.gif I for instance, discovered the shortcut of soi Saen Sabai to get back on Sukhumvit from Rama IV, thanks to a taxi. Others habitually take soi Suk. 26...

Another caveat is that "keep left, then keep left" can sometimes be very confusing on highways the way the directions are confusingly established in Thailand. It happened that I missed an exit, because the gps did not detail clearly enough which lane I had to take. I guess, you still have to watch out for the boards when driving. ;)

I believe there are better systems than Garmin but as the OP said, if you're technological challenged, then your best bet is just to buy a Garmin outright. It comes with the added benefit of lifetime map updates, something that Sygic, TomTom, Papago etc are not offering at this point in time.

Freemindxs raised some good points about the logic of the spoken instructions. The best thing to do is just to drive around with it and get used to the way the instructions are given. You should get the hang of it after a while.

The biggest challenge in using a GPS in Thailand are the presence of many elevated roads. Very often, you will find yourself on the wrong one :) but then, that's part of the fun of getting to know the software.

I would also suggest getting a 5 inch screen (I think it costs B7,990)

Thanks to you both. Yes I have tried one before and I was impressed with the Garmin in the car I was driving. I also understand the left and keep left issue. Maybe i'm not totally challenged. I didn't realise they were that as cheap as 7,990. Last time i looked they were around 12,000. Thanks again.

Thanks to you both. Yes I have tried one before and I was impressed with the Garmin in the car I was driving. I also understand the left and keep left issue. Maybe i'm not totally challenged. I didn't realise they were that as cheap as 7,990. Last time i looked they were around 12,000. Thanks again.

I got mine for a bit less than 5.000 THB at Siam...

The B7,990 unit is 5 inch with bluetooth. Without bluetooth, yes, I think about 4,990 (I was looking at bluetooth as I was planning to use it for bikes as well)

ps: you do realise there are apps for iphone and ipad as well which are very much cheaper? and if jailbroken, you can download to try first before deciding to splash out.

Edited by Gweiloman

The B7,990 unit is 5 inch with bluetooth. Without bluetooth, yes, I think about 4,990 (I was looking at bluetooth as I was planning to use it for bikes as well)

ps: you do realise there are apps for iphone and ipad as well which are very much cheaper? and if jailbroken, you can download to try first before deciding to splash out.

Actually, I do use Google maps for Android (I HATE "Iwhatevers"). wink.png Very good service, but a proper gps is better.

I just have one issue: the cables (between the dash cam and the gps, it becomes a hell as to where to place the cables.

Actually, I do use Google maps for Android (I HATE "Iwhatevers"). wink.png Very good service, but a proper gps is better.

I just have one issue: the cables (between the dash cam and the gps, it becomes a hell as to where to place the cables.

I agree 100% with that.

By the way, somebody told me that some gps units can double up as rear view camera tv, you connect the camera to the gps unit, anybody can confirm that?

I agree 100% with that.

By the way, somebody told me that some gps units can double up as rear view camera tv, you connect the camera to the gps unit, anybody can confirm that?

Correct. Check this thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/589170-5"-Gps-+-Car-Dashcam---Dvr-Reviewhttp://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/589170-5"-Gps-+-Car-Dashcam---Dvr-Review

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App