One Dead, Thirty-Seven Injured In Coach Crash In Northern Outskirts Of Pattaya

Rimmer

One Dead, Thirty-Seven Injured in Coach crash in Northern outskirts of Pattaya

crash-1.jpg

PATTAYA:--One pedestrian was killed and Thirty-seven others were injured, seven seriously, as a coach travelling from Bangkok to Trat Province came off the main Sukhumvit Road into a ditch,in the Northern outskirts of Pattaya.

The accident occurred just after 7am on Tuesday and led to a full emergency response from local Hospitals. The driver of the coach, Khun Chayarit aged 43, who sustained a minor head injury, told Police that he was travelling along the main road when a motorbike joined the carriageway but failed to see the oncoming coach. He took evasive action but lost control of the coach which fell onto its side and slid into the ditch On it’s way there, a further motorbike was struck and its driver was seriously injured..

A 64 year old pedestrian, who was carrying a card confirming he was registered as blind, was struck by the coach as well and his body was later recovered.

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/63700/dead-thirty-seven-injured-coach-crash-northern-outskirts-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-10-09

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Where was the blind pedestrian that was killed? It sounds like he was actually on the road.

No I dont think so, although it doesn't say I would have to assume he was struck when the coach went into the ditch beside the road.

A sad outcome. Condolences to his family.

Looks like a Transport Co. bus... As usual, the news report doesn't name the operator of the coach that crashed...

How hard is it for a bus driver to see and make allowance for a motorcycle merging into his lane???

How hard is it for a motorcyclist to see a bus on the main road and make allowance for it before causing the bus to have to take avoiding action???

How hard is it for a bus driver to see and make allowance for a motorcycle merging into his lane???

Not very hard if you travel at a responsible speed (90 kmh).

At 120-130 kmh it's getting difficult to respond with a 12-13 ton weighing vehicle, but hey......lots of bus- and truck-drivers drive as if they are driving their motorbike.

Looks like a Transport Co. bus... As usual, the news report doesn't name the operator of the coach that crashed...

How hard is it for a motorcyclist to see a bus on the main road and make allowance for it before causing the bus to have to take avoiding action???

Not hard........if the motorbike-driver takes the effort to look at all. In Thailand there is the unwritten rule: Everything that hits me from behind is at fault.

Usually those buses are going very fast and there was a lot of rain lately. Sad story.

Not very hard if you travel at a responsible speed (90 kmh).

At 120-130 kmh it's getting difficult to respond with a 12-13 ton weighing vehicle, but hey......lots of bus- and truck-drivers drive as if they are driving their motorbike.

It is almost impossible to see a bus when pulling out on a bike, unless of course the motorcylist looks first. How many times do we see, every day, every journey, someone on a bike come straight out without looking..........not even turning their head towards oncoming traffic.

At least the coach driver attempted to avoid a collision, and it is really unfortunate that a blind person had to die in the process.

• Like 1

How hard is it for you to understand that sometimes you simply don't have time to evade safely when some idiots swerve into your lane?! I see shit like this going down almost always when I'm on the road. I was traveling in a taxi one day when this guy on a motorbike simply changed lanes right in front of us. If the cab driver hadn't hit the brakes immediately the guy on the bike would've been a goner. Of course he wasn't wearing a helmet either.

On the first day of my motorcycle safety training many years ago in the UK, I learnt

Before you pull off, look behind,

Before you brake, look behind,

Before you pull out of a junction, look all around including behind,

Before you turn left, look over your left shoulder,

Before you turn right look over your right shoulder,

Before you leave a roundabout, look over your left shoulder.

At the end of the day, I had a sore neck.

But I still do all those things to this day.

It always dismays me when I see the technique here of looking straight ahead and only straight ahead at all times. So selfish and inconsiderate to other road users.

• Like 1

On the first day of my motorcycle safety training many years ago in the UK, I learnt

Before you pull off, look behind,

Before you brake, look behind,

Before you pull out of a junction, look all around including behind,

Before you turn left, look over your left shoulder,

Before you turn right look over your right shoulder,

Before you leave a roundabout, look over your left shoulder.

At the end of the day, I had a sore neck.

But I still do all those things to this day.

It always dismays me when I see the technique here of looking straight ahead and only straight ahead at all times. So selfish and inconsiderate to other road users.

In the UK the sequence for overtaking is:

1. Mirror

2. Signal

3. Maneuver

In Thailand it is:

1. Maneuver

2. Signal

3. Mirror (to see what you hit)

Yes, Estrada

I have lost count of the times I have seen the indicator come on about three-quarters of the way throught the manoeuvre. It is an unintended expression of guilt.

It means.....

I didn't look before I started the maneouvre, (often drifting between lanes) and now I've spotted I have forced another vehicle to brake or take avoidance measures and I have realised too late that my maneouvre was dangerous so I will pretend I saw you all along by putting on my indicator which absolves me of any blame.

The driver of the coach, Khun Chayarit aged 43, who sustained a minor head injury, told Police that he was travelling along the main road when a motorbike joined the carriageway but failed to see the oncoming coach.

Guess we have to take his word for it that said motorcycle is not actually a figment of his imagination. :(