Things Which Are More Expensive In Thailand Than In Your Home Country?

meatballs

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And why are food/grocery products from Aus priced up to 10 times the Au price when there is a free trade agreement in place?

My answer is simply price gouging by the major retailers who perceive these products will only be purchased by "rich farang".

An example I had a friend bring a 1kg box of dishwasher detergent powder over yesterday, he paid $1.10 and a 500gm here is 480Bht, or $15.50 for half the size pack. That is a 2,750% increase, hardly justified, more blatant thievery.

It may be some price gouging - I don't know. However, Thailand puts heavy tariffs on imports greatly increasing the costs to its people.

Someone needs to be taught the meaning of a Free Trade Agreement, me thinks.

We've just returned to the UK after 4 months in Chiang Mai and can't believe that anyone finds the UK cheaper. Of course some things, particularly Western imports are cheaper but meat, fish and vegetables are literally a fraction of home prices. Chicken breast for example is 90baht a kilo (£1.50) - here £8 (400baht). Two of us could eat out having 2 courses and a drink for £10-12 (500-600baht), you'll lucky to get a couple of bowls of soup for that here. Transport - 20baht each gets us almost anywhere in the city, door to door. Here a local bus journey costs £3.50 and you are restricted to set routes. Bus to Bangkok 800 baht (£16) for VIP bus. I want to get from Plymouth to Liverpool next month on the train - £150 and I'm not even guaranteed a seat! Water - 150 baht a month in Chiang Mai, 2500 (£50) at home. So cheese and wine cost more! I think I'm saving tbat just ln the water bill.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

We've just returned to the UK after 4 months in Chiang Mai and can't believe that anyone finds the UK cheaper. Of course some things, particularly Western imports are cheaper but meat, fish and vegetables are literally a fraction of home prices. Chicken breast for example is 90baht a kilo (£1.50) - here £8 (400baht). Two of us could eat out having 2 courses and a drink for £10-12 (500-600baht), you'll lucky to get a couple of bowls of soup for that here. Transport - 20baht each gets us almost anywhere in the city, door to door. Here a local bus journey costs £3.50 and you are restricted to set routes. Bus to Bangkok 800 baht (£16) for VIP bus. I want to get from Plymouth to Liverpool next month on the train - £150 and I'm not even guaranteed a seat! Water - 150 baht a month in Chiang Mai, 2500 (£50) at home. So cheese and wine cost more! I think I'm saving tbat just ln the water bill.

If you are prepared to lower your standards of course,ie the trains are far more comfortable and safer in the UK,I can turn on my tap and drink the water back home,my vegetables are not full of pesticides,the bus driver has to adhere to using a taco graph and doesn't do yaba,if your over 65 buses are free in the UK,people don't ride in the back of pick ups that have 1950s bench seats,the quality of meat is usually much more hygienic,the choice of consumables is far greater,it's horses for coures.

• Like 1

If you are prepared to lower your standards of course,ie the trains are far more comfortable and safer in the UK,I can turn on my tap and drink the water back home,my vegetables are not full of pesticides,the bus driver has to adhere to using a taco graph and doesn't do yaba,if your over 65 buses are free in the UK,people don't ride in the back of pick ups that have 1950s bench seats,the quality of meat is usually much more hygienic,the choice of consumables is far greater,it's horses for coures.

Human Mad Cow Deaths

In UK Now Rising

33% Per Year

Movies are 100% better and cheaper in Thailand as is the health care and busses; NakhonChai Air. That you don't know this just shows you are a newby in Thailand or blind deaf and dumb. I drank bottled water at home and I drink it here too.

Edited by chiangmaikelly
  • Like 1

Movies are 100% better and cheaper in Thailand as is the health care and busses; NakhonChai Air. That you don't know this just shows you are a newby in Thailand or blind deaf and dumb. I drank bottled water at home and I drink it here too.

Who mentioned movies,I don't need to use public transport as I have my own pick up and motorbikes.

You are Trolling again as I have seen all to often.

Who mentioned movies,I don't need to use public transport as I have my own pick up and motorbikes.

You are Trolling again as I have seen all to often.

Hate to break it to you but disagreeing with you is not trolling. You are wrong about the busses as you have no knowledge of them; so don't state things you have no knowledge of. Who mentioned movies? I did. Who mentioned health care? I did.

The transportation system in Thailand is 100% better than what is available in 99% of the US; I mentioned that too. smile.png

I have no knowledge of the busses yet I possess a ticket to travel on Sunday,wake up and smell the coffee old chap

Old chap if you think busses are good and inexpensive in the UK you have never been on NakhonChai Air. How much to go 600k in the UK? How much by taxi, old chap? I go 60K in a new AC taxi for 250 baht.

<p>As always, it's horses for courses.

I'm only able to compare UK and Thailand prices, but renting a house in Thailand is far cheaper than renting in the UK, so - local fruit and veg are far cheaper, chicken and pork are far cheaper too. Plus, no council tax.

IMO, the true basics - housing and food are far cheaper in Thailand (as long as you don't expect the same food). Not sure whether elec is more expensive or not and if you want Western food, it is far more expensive.

'Buying' land is cheaper (outside the popular areas), as is house construction costs for a basic house. But the house is likely to be sub-standard (compared to the UK).

Elec & gas combined £105 a month so that is over 5000 Baht a month. (I pay the elec & gas for the house my son & his family lives in). The bills are due to rise for the winter too - robbers.

Renting a house in the UK where my son lives averages £600 a month. Thailand is a lot cheaper for that too.

Their food bill is extortionate now.

Give me cheaper Thailand any day.

Here.

You said, " I don't need to use public transport as I have my own pick up and motorbikes." Make up your mind?

I'm fortunate I can choose what to do when I like.

I congratulate your good fortune but why make up stories, like "If you are prepared to lower your standards of course, or it's horses for coures." If one is trying to duplicate the UK in Thailand one will fail but most of are not trying. smile.png If you want to compare something compare price, quality and service.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Actually I have zero intention of marrying anyone again ever for any reason, been there done that twice. I even have less intentions of supporting anyone's family at any time ever. I really don't care whether that is the way it has always been done here, it will not happen in my future, so that point is moot. Just in case, I am in my early 60s so a lot of that attitude is real life experience. As far as costs of women in Canada (my life experience) as opposed to here, it is easily comparable if not more expensive in Canada, to wit: A simple Friday night out with the GF – meet at the pub to hobnob with the regulars over a TGIF bevvy; $15.00 depending on your poison. Off to dinner to, let's say the local Thai restaurant (there were several good ones in my hometown) we order 4 different items at $7.50 each a $15.00 bottle of wine (not a wine fan so the GF used to order the cheap stuff) for a total $45.00 plus tip - $50.00. Then we walk to the movie theatre to catch the latest (over my protests) Jennifer Aniston flick, add munchies and drinks, approximately $50.00. After the movie we wander over to a different pub where many or our pals hangout. Two hours of laughs, a round bought for the GF's co-workers who drop by for a visit and we decide to call it a night, the tab comes to $70.00 including tip. Cab home $15.00. The total comes to $200.00 (6,000 baht). If you think you're getting any by asking her to split the tab you are definitely living in a dream world. Won't happen. Make this a special night that includes fine dinning and the theatre or a concert and you can easily bump the price to $300.00 plus (9,000 baht). Think about what you can do here on one night with 6,000 baht.

This is all a digression of course since the original post commented that the cost of items here is more expensive than “back home.” I totally disagree with that on almost all levels, there are exceptions, computer tech was mentioned. As someone said, it's a matter of choice(s) and I completely agree with that to an extent. For instance, you can live here in a 30,000 baht ($1,000.00)per month apartment and you will live very, very well. You can also live in a 6,000 baht ($200.00) apartment (in CM you can) and live comfortably. You can also live in a very small $1,000.00 per month apartment in one of the poorer areas of Toronto but, you cannot, in any stretch of the imagination find any accommodation in any area of Toronto for $200.00 per month, cable and internet costs that much. You can choose to got to a high end restaurant in CM and spend 1,500 baht on fine meal for two, you can also eat quality Thai food (I happen to like Thai food) for 200 baht for two. You cannot eat fine dinning for $45.00 in Canada and you cannot eat a cheap meal (out) for $6.00, can't be done. To say costs here are comparable in an all over expendables basket is an error. Just saying.

Seriously comparing Chiang mai with toronto? Maybe compare is with a midsized noname town in the middle of saskatchawan. You'll get the same value for your $ if not better down there.

&lt;deleted&gt; for 1000$ a month i can get a huge house 15mins away from montreal downtown. The house also wont be rundown thai style, wont be surrounded by garbage and rabbid dog or a metal shop open 24/7

Try finding a livable appartement for 6000baht downtown bangkok. By livable i dont mean backpacker standards. Id rather live in a homeless shelter in canada.

Your night out are insane. First you go see a movie on tuesdays or thursdays. half price. There's also the entertainement book that has coupons for Guzzo's. I buy it each year. There's thousands of coupons for all type of fastfood to fine dining restaurants, hotels and attractions. Brings the price down a LOT. And entertainement in thailand is priced the same as canada while it has 0 standards. (i live in phuket so let's say it has 2x less standards than the rest of thailand while being 50% more expensive)

A fine dining restaurant in montreal will cost you 40$~ each with Table D'hote. Pretty much the same price as in thailand. The "fine" dining places in thailand for 300b a plate are not fine dining. They're the same as the small family restaurants available for close to the same price everywhere in canada.

Large quality pubs and bars in canada will set you back 1-3$ on beers depending on the night, same price as thailand but without the skanks and sexpats.

Stop kidding yourself. You are in thailand for the women? Then just admit it to yourself and stop blabbering. I provide for 3 people and the only thing more costly in canada is rent which i dont mind since the quality of the build and neighborhood makes up for it. Cant put a price on having no garbage being burnt downtown and annoying people/animals in the street all night long.

+ Inter-canadian flights are much cheaper than air-asia flights.

+holidays to cuba/dominican republic for 300-700$ all included 4-5star hotels 1week? can't beat that. They dont scam and steal and murder you like in thailand down there as well.

I'm certainly not going to defend myself to some angry old bully who's got some sort of score to settle so he uses an anonymous forum to bleat out a couple of paragraphs of useless noise. The point that I compared Toronto to Chiang Mai costs is as valid as your comparisons to Canada and whatever burrow you happen to live in now, as if it's okay for you to compare but not for me is silly and hypocritical. Your strawman illogical fallacy about finding some imaginary huge house outside of Montreal for less than the cost of a condo here is just as meaningless a distraction as the rest of the artificial information you gleaned from an online brochure. The OP's original topic was just another in a long line of Thai bashing complaints that some of us disagree with. Your ranting that everyone else is wrong is your opinion, it is wrong, but it is your opinion. If you choose, which is your right, to bring your culture and your values here that is your business. If you choose to dump on Thais and the way they live that too is your business but, to complain, accuses and slur someone else you know nothing about because they've made a different choice, that sir, is none of your business. The reality that some of us can and do live comfortable and productive lives here without kowtowing to your pretentious value set is a failing on your part, not on mine. I came to Thailand for my own reasons which are, in-the-end, none of your bloody business. Can you see my middle finger from there? Have a nice day.

P.S. A fully loaded "Dukes" 6 oz burger and with fresh cut fries, bacon, cheese, mushrooms, tomato, and lettuce - 240 baht (about $8) try to find anything that approaches that in Canada for under $15.00.

They are 9 restaurants within 10 km of my house in canada that i know where i can get a large quality burger for 5$ or less. But then again buying burgers at restaurant is an early sign of retardation. When making a fresh one is delicious, quick and cheap.

I have no knowledge of the busses yet I possess a ticket to travel on Sunday,wake up and smell the coffee old chap

Old chap if you think busses are good and inexpensive in the UK you have never been on NakhonChai Air. How much to go 600k in the UK? How much by taxi, old chap? I go 60K in a new AC taxi for 250 baht.

Again mr genius you are comparing one small region of thailand. In phuket 250b is the price to SIT in the tuktuk(taxi starts higher)

Most small towns in thailand have NO transportation system. In the west you have buses in every little town.

And people comparing bangkok taxis and BTS to the subway in other country are not even considering monthly pass. Monthly pass in the west makes it cheaper than in thailand.

• Like 1

Again mr genius you are comparing one small region of thailand. In phuket 250b is the price to SIT in the tuktuk(taxi starts higher)

Most small towns in thailand have NO transportation system. In the west you have buses in every little town.

And people comparing bangkok taxis and BTS to the subway in other country are not even considering monthly pass. Monthly pass in the west makes it cheaper than in thailand.

im not part of the debate, but is the statement of at least 250bt in tuktuk for real? blink.png

I must say, after reading this entire thread. BJ, complete bummer. All the evidence Ive seen and experienced and most of the posters here seem to confirm, your world does not exist except for you. I can only hope that whatever it is that has you suffering this way is soon relieved. All of my expats friends, most Canadians, all confirm the cost of most import items is far outweighed by the cheapness of everything else. Perhaps one's lifestyle needs to be more closely aligned with ones means? And yes I know. I don't currently live in The LOS. Flame away. Have been about twenty times over the last 15 years with my Thai wife and child. Will be moving to Chiang Mai on $3-4k budget. I think and can muddle through my existence on that? Imports or not?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Edited by chris1dna

im not part of the debate, but is the statement of at least 250bt in tuktuk for real? blink.png

New Air conditioned Taxi not tuktuk. If you were talking to me.

No after reading it I think you were talking to BJ and his Phuket problems. Well what do you expect if you live in Phuket?

post-73727-0-53632900-1350054146_thumb.j

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Have you actually been to Thailand?

Because that's what many expats choose to do,they come to live here and bemoan that it's cheap to live but not the same as blighty,their UK (insert nationality) pension does not increase,the beef is tough,Thais can't drive safely,the women rip you off,it's far to hot,the cost of western goods compared to Thai goods is a rip off (lol),90 day visa reports are a joke,I can't own land,start a business,my mother in law who's younger than me wants my money,holiday makers keep hitting on my Thai girlfriend,the local electrician and welder is useless,a local Farang just died and his funeral was a sham,is your house flooded,the smog in CM is unbearable where should I move to next Hua hin or Cha Am,where's the best burger in Thailand,minivans are dangerous,why do Bangkok taxi drivers refuse to pick me up,should I get a UK motorbike license or a Thai one,Thaksin is a scum bag,true move is too expensive,what's the best Internet provider,is your TOT really slow,my neighbours are very noisy,why do Thais drive down the road the wrong way.

Thank heavens there's no problems with the tuktuks ad jet skis, otherwise I'd be cancelling my flight...... tongue.png

• Like 1

I must say, after reading this entire thread. BJ, complete bummer. All the evidence Ive seen and experienced and most of the posters here seem to confirm, your world does not exist except for you. I can only hope that whatever it is that has you suffering this way is soon relieved. All of my expats friends, most Canadians, all confirm the cost of most import items is far outweighed by the cheapness of everything else. Perhaps one's lifestyle needs to be more closely aligned with ones means? And yes I know. I don't currently live in The LOS. Flame away. Have been about twenty times over the last 15 years with my Thai wife and child. Will be moving to Chiang Mai on $3-4k budget. I think and can muddle through my existence on that? Imports or not?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Again you're comparing people living the poor lifestyle.

Middle Class lifestyle in Thailand is way more expensive than middle class lifestyle in Canada. I do not care how cheap it is to be an old fella banging ugly hookers and eating rice with 3calories of pork on the top, thats not a realistic category to put the average people in.

As i said a million time. Give me a list of exact items with their AVERAGE thai price. Not small village price and i'll find most of them for the same price or cheaper in Canada as long as its an item of decent quality. Dont give me 7weeks old uniced meat, give me the decent quality meat from the supermarket.

The only thing you'll find is cheap dirty appartments and rundown houses and prostitutes, not much of anything else.

• Like 1

Have you actually been to Thailand?

à

Have you got enough brains to prove me wrong? Get me the price for using the BTS 4 times a day then compare it with a monthly pass in the west.

BTS will be up to 2x more expensive.

But its easier to act like an ass isnt it?

Back home for an unlimited pass its 1200 per month and unlike in bangkok the subway actually gets EVERYWHERE in the city. You never end up 5km away from a location. For that price you'll never need a taxi or anything else. Way cheaper than it would cost to travel around bangkok for a month.

Edited by BabyJebus
  • Like 1