U-Turn Seen On Thaksin Passport

webfact

No rixalex there are people who do not get punished, which makes a farce of the attempts to single others out......inconsistencies abound.......but keep turning your blind eye towards them

The farce isn't in the attempts for guilty people to be singled out - they should be singled out - the farce is in defending them because others aren't.

And of course there are people who do not get punished. No place on earth in which every person ever guilty of crime gets punished. I don't defend that or use it as justification for others getting off scot-free.

There are many major issues in Thailand at the moment that require the attention of the government.....but that won't stop you advocating the time consuming witch hunt you seek

I'm not after a witch hunt, time consuming or otherwise, i'm just against this government wasting its time, (which as you say could be used much more productively elsewhere), serving the interests of one man, who happens to be an on the run criminal. Specially opening up government offices at the time of a major national disaster, so as to provide Thaksin with a passport that you yourself said he had no real requirement for, strikes me as being one such example of time wasted.

No I don't think this is a major issue worth anything further than revoking the passport if required....what do you think? dissolution of PTP.?..cheesy.gif

No i don't think dissolution would be appropriate. Illegal action however, undertaken by government ministers, should have more consequences than simply retracting that action, otherwise what incentive is there for government ministers to act within the law? None. They can do what they like, and if they get away with it, great, if not, just undo what they did and carry on with their job. What a bizarre idea. Bizarrer still that anyone besides ministers would support it.

Edited by rixalex

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone who breaks the law, gets convicted, jumps bail, and flees the country, has no right to be reissued a passport. It's not about whether a person is a threat or not. Arguing in favour of fugitives rights to travel is just about the most absurd thing i have ever heard from the reds, and that is saying something.

What about people that break the law and flee until the statue of limitations on their crimes expires, such as Chuan Leekpai's brother?

Anyone who breaks the law, gets convicted, jumps bail, and flees the country, has no right to be reissued a passport. It's not about whether a person is a threat or not. Arguing in favour of fugitives rights to travel is just about the most absurd thing i have ever heard from the reds, and that is saying something.

What about people that break the law and flee until the statue of limitations on their crimes expires, such as Chuan Leekpai's brother?

I'm against anyone breaking the law and getting away with it, no matter who they are or how they do it.

What about Pin Chakkaphak who recently returned after 15 years?

Most likely the difference is that the subject of the topic k. Thaksin was judged guilty and sentenced whereas the other two 'gentlemen' could not be prosecuted.

I'm against anyone breaking the law and getting away with it, no matter who they are or how they do it.

A commendable attitude, but you appear to feel that the nature of the crime does not need to reflect your efforts to assert justice.......a true Democrat

Aren't Thai passports only good for 5-years? How does he still have a valid one?

The passport illegally issued to him last year through his Cousin Foreign Minister was a new one.

It would have been valid until October 2016.

Thanks, I don't follow the Thaksin thing too closely. With all the news, nothing seems to ever happen. It is like wake me up when he is actually arrested or lands back in Thailand.

Any idea if the cousin was arrested or was it one of those legal illegally transactions?

Edited by Nisa

Taksin is a Thai born and bred a son of Thailand and it's former Prime Minister. Taksin continues to enjoy the trust and the support of the majority of the Thai people. He is not a threat to the community. He is neither terrorist nor serial killer. There is absolutely no lawful justification or reason to cancel or refuse the issue of a passport or passports to Taksin.

Actually, there's no lawful justification to issue a passport to a convicted fugitive on the run.

That's the Foreign Ministry's own reasonable and logical regulations that the Cousin Foreign Minister violated.

That's why the Ombudsman Office ruled as it did.

With a long post, we want members to snip the quoted post, ie quote only the part of the other member's post that is relevant to the reply. However, it is not acceptable to snip the quoted post leaving parts of the post to change the meaning or "taking the piss".

30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

One post has been removed.

A good point but it might be helpful if the rule was modified to be more like your explanation as at the moment it appears contradictory.

BTW I've no idea how mods manage to keep an eye on all these posts. It makes my brain hurt sometimes.

A commendable attitude, but you appear to feel that the nature of the crime does not need to reflect your efforts to assert justice.......a true Democrat

A commendable attitude that you clearly don't share.

I am happy to assert justice for any crime, big or small, and i certainly never defend criminals, and nor do i defend illegal actions going unpunished.

• Like 1

Rixalex previous post: "especially when considering the way they went about reissuing said passport during the floods."

Not closed for everybody it would appear......so one passport was produced.....'during the floods'......we come full circle to your ridiculous attempt to link the production of a passport to the floods.....thank you....clap2.gif and good afternoon

There is no need to attempt to link the production of a passport to the floods, the link exists as a matter of absolute certainty, virtue of the fact that the passport was issued at the same time as parts of the country and the capital was up to its neck in water (the FM admitted it, after attempting to lie and getting caught out). That is the link, the time-scale... the two events occurred at the same time.

Acknowledging that link, does not however equate to stating that one act was responsible for the other. To make that equation, required you to travel not full circle, but to travel via a gargantuan leap in interpretation, and to intentionally completely misrepresent my view in the process. Or to put it more simply, lie about what i said.

Desperately trying to argue in favour of a Foreign Minister specially opening up offices at the time of a national disaster, so as which to make a new passport for a family relative who requested it, a family relative who is on the run from the law and who has no legal or logical right to be reissued a passport, has led you to some sad and desperate measures.

Perhaps there's an additional point. If the paymaster wanted to show his concern for the hundreds of thousand is distress, for many their meagre homes and belongings washed away, nowhere to go, no resources, etc., surely it would have been appropriate for him or his minions to have said 'shelf the passport', the government needs to be seen to be focused on the floods, helping those in distress, what do to tomorrow (re the floods), etc.

• Like 1

Rixalex previous post: "especially when considering the way they went about reissuing said passport during the floods."

Not closed for everybody it would appear......so one passport was produced.....'during the floods'......we come full circle to your ridiculous attempt to link the production of a passport to the floods.....thank you....clap2.gif and good afternoon

There is no need to attempt to link the production of a passport to the floods, the link exists as a matter of absolute certainty, virtue of the fact that the passport was issued at the same time as parts of the country and the capital was up to its neck in water (the FM admitted it, after attempting to lie and getting caught out). That is the link, the time-scale... the two events occurred at the same time.

Acknowledging that link, does not however equate to stating that one act was responsible for the other. To make that equation, required you to travel not full circle, but to travel via a gargantuan leap in interpretation, and to intentionally completely misrepresent my view in the process. Or to put it more simply, lie about what i said.

Desperately trying to argue in favour of a Foreign Minister specially opening up offices at the time of a national disaster, so as which to make a new passport for a family relative who requested it, a family relative who is on the run from the law and who has no legal or logical right to be reissued a passport, has led you to some sad and desperate measures.

Perhaps there's an additional point. If the paymaster wanted to show his concern for the hundreds of thousand is distress, for many their meagre homes and belongings washed away, nowhere to go, no resources, etc., surely it would have been appropriate for him or his minions to have said 'shelf the passport', the government needs to be seen to be focused on the floods, helping those in distress, what do to tomorrow (re the floods), etc.

Of course the government could have done just that................if processing one passport would have made the slightest difference to the tons of water spewing through bangkok caused by the Democrats inefficient management of the dams in the early part of the year.........saying "Ok do it" in reference to the request would sum up the ministerial activity surrounding the passport processing........ hardly likely to unleash a lasting impact on the flooding is it?

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

Of course the government could have done just that................if processing one passport would have made the slightest difference to the tons of water spewing through bangkok caused by the Democrats inefficient management of the dams in the early part of the year.........saying "Ok do it" in reference to the request would sum up the ministerial activity surrounding the passport processing........ hardly likely to unleash a lasting impact on the flooding is it?

As you seem to be unable or unwilling to see the problem let me put it simple for you.

Printing a passport for Thaksin while the country is struggling against rising floodwaters is like farting at a funeral. While it is not against the law and surely does not bother the deceased it shows a blunt disrespect towards the grieving family, relatives and friends.

As you seem to be unable or unwilling to see the problem let me put it simple for you.

Printing a passport for Thaksin while the country is struggling against rising floodwaters is like farting at a funeral. While it is not against the law and surely does not bother the deceased it shows a blunt disrespect towards the grieving family, relatives and friends.

But in this case it WAS illegal, as the ombudsman makes clear.

I take this as not a fart in church, but more like mooning the coffin,

and thumbing you nose at the widow.

• Like 2

Its like farting when the funeral is in another part of the country, nobody hears, nobody knows....until an issue is made of your minor indiscretion, and before you know it you were in the church mooning at the coffin............now do you understand?

Edited by 473geo

Its like farting when the funeral is in another part of the country, nobody hears, nobody knows....until an issue is made of your minor discretion, and before you know it you were in the church mooning at the coffin............now do you understand?

If a tree falls in a forest but there's no one to hear it, does it make noise?

Whether or not someone noticed k. Thaksin got a shiny new passport, doesn't matter, it remains an illegal act of a government run by his sister (the PM) and perpetrated by a cousin (the MoFA). It is demanded to be undone.

You've been trying with many posts in this thread to project a minor issue, an innocent, morally high standing, willing Pheu Thai, sounding more desperate at every new try.

The government made a terrible mistake, most likely because they thought they could get away with it. All heavily affected by a flooding well done, and the government sneakily issues a new passport to a fugitive criminal relative. Caught out admits it more than a month later. Wrong behaviour, morally contemptible, to be corrected with all due speed, to be condemned.

From your posts I figure this type of behaviour is a normal thing in the UK and therefor I doubt that 'now you understand'

• Like 1

I think if you check the thread Rubl you will find there are far more posters fervently insisting that this minor issue is a major issue

I really can't think why they would do that........but hey I will bow out and leave you to it...rather than risk a stream of posts trying to get a rise out of me ...enjoy

Edited by 473geo

Its like farting when the funeral is in another part of the country, nobody hears, nobody knows....until an issue is made of your minor indiscretion, and before you know it you were in the church mooning at the coffin............now do you understand?

Printing and flooding were in the same country. Seems you are getting somewhat desperate in defending this act.

I think if you check the thread Rubl you will find there are far more posters fervently insisting that this minor issue is a major issue

I really can't think why they would do that........but hey I will bow out and leave you to it...rather than risk a stream of posts trying to get a rise out of me ...enjoy

Don't try to turn things around! It is you who has been defending the passport issue as minor, nothing special, opportunity for Pheu Thai to show their good intend! It is I who keep saying it's an error and even a despicable act of a government run by the sister, perpetrated by a cousin the MoFA.

This major issue of a government flaunting the law for their relative the fugitive criminal is being downplayed constantly by you in this thread. Why you do that is a question I can't answer. You may accept as truthful though I'm not trying to get you to be annoyed or grumpy, I'm just trying to make you to understand why this is not a minor issue.

IActually it's me getting annoyed with you trying the same line again and again towards different posters. Now that smacks of trolling sad.png

Smacks of trolling? More like kicking the <deleted> out of it.

Brilliant move by PTP, Thaksin had no real requirement for a Thai passport, turning the insistant clamour to have it revoked into a feather of fairness and judgement in the PTP cap,also accentuating the PTP adherance to legal responsibilities is good news for Thailand.

Yes good for Thailand, a blow for Thaksin and his sis.

If it was not important for Thaksin, why the FM returned him his passport after having been in office for just 3 month or so?

A Royal Thai police summons of Thaksin would be something worth seeing. It would certainly be another although major group who may wish to see the back end of the crim, giving that the numbers against him from balanced fields is mounting. Pretty girl should take heed and arse him and his main mob out of Pheu Thai and look to build something with those with some credibility...even the Dems would probably support.

Either way it is pleasing to see that general opinion is starting to ease Thaksins slimmy slithers from the cookies.

This whole charade over Taksin and his passport is infantile. There no general opinion that Taksin should not have a Thai passport. Taksin's political enemies may be fearful of his return to Thailand and perhaps it is they that are urging the ombudsman, the foreign office and Royal Thai Police in this matter.

Taksin is a Thai born and bred a son of Thailand and it's former Prime Minister. Taksin continues to enjoy the trust and the support of the majority of the Thai people. He is not a threat to the community. He is neither terrorist nor serial killer. There is absolutely no lawful justification or reason to cancel or refuse the issue of a passport or passports to Taksin.

Indyuk can you please tell me if you are talking about THAKSIN Shinawatra spelt with a TH and presently living in Dubai as a convicted fugitive or Taksin who was actually King Taksin spelt with a TA whose correct name is Somdet Phra Chao Taksin Maharat; Thai: สมเด็จพระเจ้าตากสินมหาราช and who was King of Thailand and ruled Thailand between 1767 and 1782?

Convicted fugitives are not generally permitted to have passports and to have one printed and hand delivered by the Foreign Minister is an insult to all law abiding Thai people.

THaksin does NOT enjoy the trust and support of the majority of the Thai people though he does enjoy a large measure of that trust and support which is slowly eroding.

I do belive that one of the rules of this forum is that persons names are correctly spelled where ever possible. Please try to do so and if it is too hard for you then look at the way the majority of posters spell names.

Indyuk can you please tell me if you are talking about THAKSIN Shinawatra spelt with a TH and presently living in Dubai as a convicted fugitive or Taksin who was actually King Taksin spelt with a TA whose correct name is Somdet Phra Chao Taksin Maharat; Thai: สมเด็จพระเจ้าตากสินมหาราช and who was King of Thailand and ruled Thailand between 1767 and 1782?

Interestingly both Taksin and Thaksin were removed by military coups.

Edited by FarangTalk

Its like farting when the funeral is in another part of the country, nobody hears, nobody knows....until an issue is made of your minor discretion, and before you know it you were in the church mooning at the coffin............now do you understand?

If a tree falls in a forest but there's no one to hear it, does it make noise?

Whether or not someone noticed k. Thaksin got a shiny new passport, doesn't matter, it remains an illegal act of a government run by his sister (the PM) and perpetrated by a cousin (the MoFA). It is demanded to be undone.

You've been trying with many posts in this thread to project a minor issue, an innocent, morally high standing, willing Pheu Thai, sounding more desperate at every new try.

The government made a terrible mistake, most likely because they thought they could get away with it. All heavily affected by a flooding well done, and the government sneakily issues a new passport to a fugitive criminal relative. Caught out admits it more than a month later. Wrong behaviour, morally contemptible, to be corrected with all due speed, to be condemned.

From your posts I figure this type of behaviour is a normal thing in the UK and therefor I doubt that 'now you understand'

Well, you figured wrong! You not a closet Anglophobic are you?

• Like 1

Interestingly both Taksin and Thaksin were removed by military coups.

And far more interestingly, Thaksin(deposed criminal fugitive in exile) has been trying to have his name spelt Taksin(a historic king) at every opportunity recently. His sponsored magazine "Voice of Taksin" is a bit of a giveaway. Trying to concoct a slightly more regal image I'm sure.

So I gather Taksin was put in a silk bag and beaten to death with sandalwood clubs. Perhaps his renaming and the karma that comes with it will have the same fortunate ending for the Thai populace.

And far more interestingly, Thaksin(deposed criminal fugitive in exile) has been trying to have his name spelt Taksin(a historic king) at every opportunity recently. His sponsored magazine "Voice of Taksin" is a bit of a giveaway. Trying to concoct a slightly more regal image I'm sure.

So I gather Taksin was put in a silk bag and beaten to death with sandalwood clubs. Perhaps his renaming and the karma that comes with it will have the same fortunate ending for the Thai populace.

I wouldn't read into a missing letter 'h' during English translation that much.

begin removed ...

From your posts (i.e. 472geo) I figure this type of behaviour is a normal thing in the UK and therefor I doubt that 'now you understand'

Well, you figured wrong! You not a closet Anglophobic are you?

A bit off topic, but no I'm not Anglophobic. I would even go so far as to saying that some of my best friends are British (a few English, the odd Scotsman, and an Irish Chap).

To explain my reply to geo, he's English and tries to tell there's nothing special with how k. Thaksin got a passport issued and how nice an opportunity for Pheu Thai to show reconciliation, goodwill, etc. That's when I wondered how normal this would be in the UK. A bit tongue in cheek maybe, but towards English more fun as they tend to be able to give as good as they get. With non-native English speakers one needs to be a bit more careful.

From your local Dutch uncle smile.png

Mr Thaksin was given his passport back in October because he was "no longer a threat to the country", a foreign ministry spokesman told the BBC. (This indicates that at some time he was a threat to Thailand) Earlier this month the government indicated it planned to return Mr Thaksin's passport as "a New Year gift". http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-16215695

"I want the passport to be a New Year gift for him," he said...........Surapong said his ministry was putting the finishing touches to a regular passport and dismissed speculation that Thaksin would be granted diplomatic travel papers..........."The issuing of a passport is solely under the jurisdiction of the Foreign Ministry," he said in defiance of Thaksin's opponents............He also said that he deemed it appropriate to issue Thaksin a passport despite his fugitive status, because other fugitives, like veteran politicians Somchai Kunplome and Vatana Assavahame, still had their passports.....(This sounds familiar)....Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, meanwhile, said that she had nothing to do with the matter though she fully supported the Foreign Ministry's work as sanctioned by relevant laws and regulations.

"I confirm that my government will do everything in accordance with the rule of law," she said. http://www.nationmul...t-30171192.html

In view of the Ombudsman's decision, Nipit said, Surapong had only one option: to revoke Thaksin's passport, otherwise the minister could be prosecuted for violating Article 157 of the criminal code, which prescribes 20 years of imprisonment for officials who abuse their power. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Ministry-studying-Ombudsmans-take-on-Thaksin-passp-30190497.html

The reality is, given Yingluck's assurances at the time the passport was issued she should show some leadership and order the cancellation of her brothers passport and punish Surapong.

Edited by waza
  • Like 2

Mr Thaksin was given his passport back in October because he was "no longer a threat to the country", a foreign ministry spokesman told the BBC. (This indicates that at some time he was a threat to Thailand) Earlier this month the government indicated it planned to return Mr Thaksin's passport as "a New Year gift". http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-16215695

"I want the passport to be a New Year gift for him," he said...........Surapong said his ministry was putting the finishing touches to a regular passport and dismissed speculation that Thaksin would be granted diplomatic travel papers..........."The issuing of a passport is solely under the jurisdiction of the Foreign Ministry," he said in defiance of Thaksin's opponents............He also said that he deemed it appropriate to issue Thaksin a passport despite his fugitive status, because other fugitives, like veteran politicians Somchai Kunplome and Vatana Assavahame, still had their passports.....(This sounds familiar)....Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, meanwhile, said that she had nothing to do with the matter though she fully supported the Foreign Ministry's work as sanctioned by relevant laws and regulations.

"I confirm that my government will do everything in accordance with the rule of law," she said. http://www.nationmul...t-30171192.html

In view of the Ombudsman's decision, Nipit said, Surapong had only one option: to revoke Thaksin's passport, otherwise the minister could be prosecuted for violating Article 157 of the criminal code, which prescribes 20 years of imprisonment for officials who abuse their power. http://www.nationmul...p-30190497.html

The reality is, given Yingluck's assurances at the time the passport was issued she should show some leadership and order the cancellation of her brothers passport and punish Surapong.

On December 2rd Minister of Foreign affairs Surapong Towichukchaikul said the government was close to issuing a new passport. Two weeks later we have "Mr Thaksin was given his passport back in October because he was "no longer a threat to the country", a foreign ministry spokesman told the BBC. Not a minor issue, just plain sneaky! bah.gif

• Like 1