Thailand's War With The Uk

Kinda funny that CMK has gone to great lengths to talk about how the American car industry is dying when it is only the American Detroit brands that have struggled. Foreign brands assembled in the USA have done fine. So apparently, Hondas assembled in the USA are not apart of the American car industry yet Hondas assembled in Thailand are in fact part of the Thai car industry and Honda has succeeded because of Thai engineering. That makes a ton of sense.

Perhaps you should look at the title of the thread. I only mentioned the US because some of the problems are the same. Detroit at one time was paying $75 per hour for a union assembly worker. The Japanese companies negotiated different contracts. The same thing happened when the foreign manufactures took over the UK auto brands. Ford however is still owned by Ford. If you would like to start a new topic comparing the US auto industry with the Thai industry I suggest you start one. However the UK is much closer in production numbers so it is logical to compare those two. Also the UK and Thailand are closer in population so imported vs domestic consumption will be closer. I hope you understand my choice.

Plus I really don't see any current autos in the US to compete with the type F Jag designed by that Thai fellow.

Is he 100% Thai or 60/40 or 80/20 or 99/1. Just curious. coffee1.gif

Perhaps you should tell us the difference it would make to his design expertise?

Your post really says it all doesn't?. coffee1.gif

Edited by chiangmaikelly

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda funny that CMK has gone to great lengths to talk about how the American car industry is dying when it is only the American Detroit brands that have struggled. Foreign brands assembled in the USA have done fine. So apparently, Hondas assembled in the USA are not apart of the American car industry yet Hondas assembled in Thailand are in fact part of the Thai car industry and Honda has succeeded because of Thai engineering. That makes a ton of sense.

Perhaps you should look at the title of the thread. I only mentioned the US because some of the problems are the same. Detroit at one time was paying $75 per hour for a union assembly worker. The Japanese companies negotiated different contracts. The same thing happened when the foreign manufactures took over the UK auto brands. Ford however is still owned by Ford. If you would like to start a new topic comparing the US auto industry with the Thai industry I suggest you start one. However the UK is much closer in production numbers so it is logical to compare those two. Also the UK and Thailand are closer in population so imported vs domestic consumption will be closer. I hope you understand my choice.

Plus I really don't see any current autos in the US to compete with the type F Jag designed by that Thai fellow.

Perhaps you should tell us the difference it would make to his design expertise? coffee1.gif

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, cannot say. BUT, Mr. Issigonis was of Geek decent. smile.png

Perhaps you should tell us the difference it would make to his design expertise? coffee1.gif

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, cannot say. BUT, Mr. Issigonis was of Geek decent. smile.png

Do you normally judge people by their ethnic/racial background? And how would you have us judge Greeks or Thais?

Don't feed The Troll

Sorry, but I do not understand your post?

Win what?

Since when did the U.K. manufacture anything anyway? Like to U.S. they have completely outsourced the majority of all industrial production.

When was the last time you met a factory worker in the U.K.?

Ignorance is obviously bliss read the link posted earlier that UK actually now produces more cars than Germany. I fully agree the industrial situation in the UK is sad but to even try and compare it with Thailand is apples and oranges

It is easy to compare UK auto sales 2010 1,393,463, Thailand 1,644,513. Now that wasn't hard was it?

So now you are comparing a country with a high car to person ratio to an evolving country with a low car per person ratio (increasing sure) .. also a country with a healthy and low cost 2nd hand market. These things make a huge difference to new car sales.

Well done.

sent from my ..................#

The links don't work for me but are you talking about the Jag F type that one designed by the Thai guy?

Forgive me CM the links worked perfectly well earlier today.

Amongst the topics I linked - "UK car industry enjoys 22% rise in production" It seems despite a Eurpean wide recession the UK car industry has raised output by 20% in the past year - I guess the UK car industry really is on its knees.

Mclaren launch their new P1 - I'm sure a few rich Thais are drooling over that.

And yes that Jaguar F-Type (Designed by a Thai guy - are you having a laugh - What Thai guy? What did he claim he designed? Do you really believe one person designs a car?)

It is easy to compare UK auto sales 2010 1,393,463, Thailand 1,644,513. Now that wasn't hard was it?

So now you are comparing a country with a high car to person ratio to an evolving country with a low car per person ratio (increasing sure) .. also a country with a healthy and low cost 2nd hand market. These things make a huge difference to new car sales.

Well done.

The UK should produce and export more vehicles ( high car to person ratio ) I get it. So how come Thailand does? One half of the vehicles made in Thailand are sold here and the other half are exported. Big used car market in Thailand. So what is your point?

The links don't work for me but are you talking about the Jag F type that one designed by the Thai guy?

Forgive me CM the links worked perfectly well earlier today.

Amongst the topics I linked - "UK car industry enjoys 22% rise in production" It seems despite a Eurpean wide recession the UK car industry has raised output by 20% in the past year - I guess the UK car industry really is on its knees.

Mclaren launch their new P1 - I'm sure a few rich Thais are drooling over that.

And yes that Jaguar F-Type (Designed by a Thai guy - are you having a laugh - What Thai guy? What did he claim he designed? Do you really believe one person designs a car?)

I am surprised you would jump into this Thai race thing. Thought you were above it. Are you saying because a person is Thai they can't design a car? Yes I am having a laugh. The identity of the person designing the Jag is back up in the thread look it up if you want to. I am still laughing about the import tax and investment incentives being responsible for the production of 2 million cars.

Perhaps you misunderstood something CMK.

That there are lots of Thais with designs on the Jaguar F-Type, the new McLaren and getting awfully excited over the prospect of getting to see Formula 1 cars (Engineered, Designed and Manufactured in the UK) racing on Bangkok's streets. Well yes that is without doubt at all.

Remove the import protections enjoyed by Car Assemblers in Thailand and I'm certain that a lot more Thais would be buying cars made in Britain (and elsewhere).

Well done.

The UK should produce and export more vehicles ( high car to person ratio ) I get it. So how come Thailand does? One half of the vehicles made in Thailand are sold here and the other half are exported. Big used car market in Thailand. So what is your point?

Big used car market that is almost the same price as new ... you dont get it do you :rolleyes:

Also Thailand produce now cars. Japanese companies do for export to other countries and to circumvent excessive tax rules .... get it now :huh:

Edited by thaicbr

I am surprised you would jump into this Thai race thing. Thought you were above it. Are you saying because a person is Thai they can't design a car? Yes I am having a laugh. The identity of the person designing the Jag is back up in the thread look it up if you want to. I am still laughing about the import tax and investment incentives being responsible for the production of 2 million cars.

No I have not stated that race has anything to do with ability.

I have stated that Thailand lacks the research, engineering and design infrastructure to produce Engineers and Designers - Now let me guess, before I go looking. A Thai designer on the Jaguar Design team (not the designer of the Jaguar F-Type ) where did he learn his trade?

I have stated that Thailand lacks the research, engineering and design infrastructure to produce Engineers and Designers - Now let me guess, before I go looking. A Thai designer on the Jaguar Design team (not the designer of the Jaguar F-Type ) where did he learn his trade?

I don't have a clue. I didn't post it. I think he was the head designer but I don't know anything about the guy. If you want to debate schools would you say Abhisit Vejjajiva did not produce a Thai government because he went to school in England? The whole engineering world is so international that any attempt to classify it by country is foolish.

Head of design is half Thai, half English. Where does the thread go now. biggrin.png

The Jaguar Design Team Leaders are:

IAN CALLUM (director of design)

JULIAN THOMSON (head of advanced design)

MATTHEW BEAVEN (principal designer)

GILES TAYLOR (chief designer, Jaguar XJ and XK)

ADAM HATTON (exterior design manager)

MARK PHILLIPS (interior design manager)

NICOLAS FINNEY (interior designer)

KIM CHALLINOR (colour and materials manager)

Non of those names look remotely Thai.

Ian Callum has a Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Callum No mention of him being Thai.

So who is this half Thai head of Design CMK is hanging his hopes on?

• Like 1

Head of design is half Thai, half English. Where does the thread go now. biggrin.png

The Jaguar Design Team Leaders are:

IAN CALLUM (director of design)

JULIAN THOMSON (head of advanced design)

MATTHEW BEAVEN (principal designer)

GILES TAYLOR (chief designer, Jaguar XJ and XK)

ADAM HATTON (exterior design manager)

MARK PHILLIPS (interior design manager)

NICOLAS FINNEY (interior designer)

KIM CHALLINOR (colour and materials manager)

Non of those names look remotely Thai.

Ian Callum has a Wiki page http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Ian_Callum No mention of him being Thai.

So who is this half Thai head of Design CMK is hanging his hopes on?

Perhaps the designer was part of this Jaguar team.

http://100mililitros.com/store/product.php?productid=17362

I don't have a clue.

This is not a revelation !

Are you still in kindergarten. Don't you think it is about time you grew up and stopped this silly flaming and nationalism that went out in the 1930"s. Autos are designed by international design teams composed of members who come from all over the world. If one has to gain some form of pride by pointing to a car and saying British they are a bit behind the times eh?

^ Hang on a minute CMK, you have earlier accused me of racism (but you have not produced any evidence of me being racist) maybe you just wanted to play the race card.

And you want me to grow up?

Most adults would regard an accusation of racism as being pretty serious, most adults would not make such an accusation without well founded evidence and most adults would apologise if they made such a serious accusation without being able to substantiate their claim.

I await you to demonstrate by full quotation of what I have said that I am a racist - Or offer your apologies.

^ Hang on a minute CMK, you have earlier accused me of racism (but you have not produced any evidence of me being racist) maybe you just wanted to play the race card.

And you want me to grow up?

Most adults would regard an accusation of racism as being pretty serious, most adults would not make such an accusation without well founded evidence and most adults would apologise if they made such a serious accusation without being able to substantiate their claim.

I await you to demonstrate by full quotation of what I have said that I am a racist - Or offer your apologies.

I wrote, " Are you still in kindergarten. Don't you think it is about time you grew up and stopped this silly flaming and nationalism that went out in the 1930"s. Autos are designed by international design teams composed of members who come from all over the world. If one has to gain some form of pride by pointing to a car and saying British they are a bit behind the times eh?"

Where did I say racism? I didn't say racism. I expect an apology.

I am surprised you would jump into this Thai race thing. Thought you were above it. Are you saying because a person is Thai they can't design a car?

Never mentioned Race?

Please quote where I called you a racist or accused you of racism? You wrote, " Hang on a minute CMK, you have earlier accused me of racism." I expect an apology. Words are words. I never accused you of being a racist or accused you of racism.

I am surprised you would jump into this Thai race thing. Thought you were above it. Are you saying because a person is Thai they can't design a car?

Never mentioned Race?

Please quote where I called you a racist or accused you of racism? You wrote, " Hang on a minute CMK, you have earlier accused me of racism." I expect an apology. Words are words. I never accused you of being a racist or accused you of racism.

Sticks and stones.

I don't have a clue. I didn't post it. I think he was the head designer but I don't know anything about the guy. If you want to debate schools would you say Abhisit Vejjajiva did not produce a Thai government because he went to school in England? The whole engineering world is so international that any attempt to classify it by country is foolish.

CMK.

Maybe you should think why Abhist Vejjajiva's parents decided that having him educated in the UK would be a good thing.

How many of Britains elite are thinking of sending their children to Thailand, for a Thai education?

Transam wrote, "Is he 100% Thai or 60/40 or 80/20 or 99/1. Just curious." That is what I was asking about. I assumed you were above discussions like that.

I can't answer for what Transam says - I will answer for whatever I personally say.

I have not made any racist remarks, I have not (as you put it) "Jumped into this Thai race thing".

It would be very easy for you to retract your statement on this matter if you are able at all to accept when you are wrong.

Transam wrote, "Is he 100% Thai or 60/40 or 80/20 or 99/1. Just curious." That is what I was asking about. I assumed you were above discussions like that.

I can't answer for what Transam says - I will answer for whatever I personally say.

I have not made any racist remarks, I have not (as you put it) "Jumped into this Thai race thing".

It would be very easy for you to retract your statement on this matter if you are able at all to accept when you are wrong.

Trans am posted Is he 100% Thai or 60/40 or 80/20 or 99/1. Just curious.

I posted,” Perhaps you should tell us the difference it would make to his design expertise? “

Your post really says it all doesn't?.

You posted.

I posted a question, “I am surprised you would jump into this Thai race thing. Thought you were above it. Are you saying because a person is Thai they can't design a car? Yes I am having a laugh. The identity of the person designing the Jag is back up in the thread look it up if you want to. I am still laughing about the import tax and investment incentives being responsible for the production of 2 million cars. “

If your statement had nothing to do with race you could have answered my question. There is a difference between a question and an accusation. The following is a question and has a question mark at the end. "Are you saying because a person is Thai they can't design a car?

As a matter of clarification, if anyone were to spend some time digging around my posts here on TV they would actually find I repeatedly make positive statements on the abilities of Thai engineers, Thai designers and Thai craftsmen/workers.

These are statements I substantiate against my personal experience of spending most of the past twenty years working as an engineer in Thailand and elsewhere around the world with Thai engineers and designers.

However, I also have my views on where Thailand fails to produce Engineers and Designers and a my opinions on what the causes of these failings are. The Thai Auto Industry encapsulates almost all of those failings.

The problem is, how does one discuss the nuances of these things with someone who demonstrates such a deep and ingrained ignorance of Engineering, Design, Production Technology, Technological and Research Infrastructure, Economics or even the impact of Trade Barriers (Something that was widely debated throughout the period from the 1970s to the very present day).

It seems reading a BoI newsletter and carrying a large bag of preconceived ideas is regarded as deep and in-depth knowledge in some remote corners of the internet.

Go figure.

I posted a question, “I am surprised you would jump into this Thai race thing. Thought you were above it. Are you saying because a person is Thai they can't design a car? Yes I am having a laugh. The identity of the person designing the Jag is back up in the thread look it up if you want to. I am still laughing about the import tax and investment incentives being responsible for the production of 2 million cars. “

If your statement had nothing to do with race you could have answered my question. There is a difference between a question and an accusation. The following is a question and has a question mark at the end. "Are you saying because a person is Thai they can't design a car?

CMK, you are mumbling again.

Man-up and admit you were wrong.