Whatever Happened To The Brewery Baron's Son Accused Of Killling A Cop

watcharacters

He had to give up his pocket money for the week to pay "compensation" to the family.

I am thinking that this is the end of the matter.

I may be wrong and would be surprised if I am.

Actually he paid a lot of money as compensation. Much more that the normal compensation for such an offence. Do you think rich people should be fined more than poor people?

Do you think paying money for running over and killing someone, then fleeing the scene is justice served? When you have billions is a few hundred thousand going to be missed? Compensation is not a fine BTW, and of course the rich can afford to pay more than the poor. How much do you think the policeman's family would have got if he'd been run over by a tuk-tuk?

I'm not talking about justice served, no I don't think that. Justice will be done in the courts.

The normal compensation is 50,000 baht. That's how much they would have got by a tuk tuk driver if he had it. There's a chance they would get nothing. They got more than enough compensation. What was it - 3 million baht? Do you agree with the family trying to milk the rich guy, which they didn't?

If it were a foreigner, or yourself, would you welcome the family trying to get more off you?

And fleeing the scene is the norm here - there are many reasons for this.

The rich can afford to pay more. If the same thing happened in a western country the lawyers acting for the family would ask for millions of dollars in compensation and if the guilty party had that kind of money, they would get it. This spoilt rich Thai kid suffers nothing, probably not even remorse. The compensation won't be coming out of his pocket you can bet. If they were awarded 3 million baht as compensation, that's peanuts to the Red Bull family. The Ferrari probably cost more than 10 million baht.

In the Uk killing someone with your car and even running away will get you a suspended sentence, fine and a driving ban. The family would get very little in the way of compensation. Rich or poor it is classed as a minor offence. The red bull heir doing the same thing in the Uk would have received the same treatment.

Here in Thailand if you are going to get run over and killed better it be by a rich man. My wifes friend from the Issan community near us who live in sheds with corrugated roofs was killed by a drunk driver hitting the motorbike she was on. The boyfriend driving the bike lost his leg and will never work again and they left a 2 year old little girl with nobody to take care of her.

The driver that killed her ran away and was caught. He had no money and got a pittance of a sentence. The little girl got nothing ! I am sure the little girl would rather the red bull heir had run down her Mum and not a penniless Somchai !

In the UK you'd almost certainly goto jail if it was classed as reckless driving. Add the DUI and it's only a question of length of sentence?

+ leaving the scene

+ trying to cover up

+ dragging the guy down the road however far.

It would be quite a stretch I'd expect.

In the UK you'd almost certainly goto jail if it was classed as reckless driving. Add the DUI and it's only a question of length of sentence?

+ leaving the scene

+ trying to cover up

+ dragging the guy down the road however far.

It would be quite a stretch I'd expect.

I think Bert probably forgot about the possible DUI aspect of the case. I'd expect British courts to be fairly rigid about an incident of this kind.