Pickup - Which Is The Most Comfortable Ride And Fuel Economy?

thaicruze

Car Buyer UK on the New Ford Ranger

• CONS:
  • High running costs
  • Disappointing cabin
  • Hard to park

This isn't the UK. I wouldn't drive a pickup in UK, but wouldn't consider anything else here.

Agreed but the UK Ford Ranger is built in Thailand..

Are any UK car magazines favourable to any pickup trucks? I think I'd respect an Australian or US review over one from the UK (I'm a Brit). I remember watching a Top Gear program & they had a GM pickup truck, US style, not Thai. Big engine, loads of power. They drag raced it - awesome. Then Clarkson was critical of it being on a ladder frame!! What was he expecting from a pickup truck?

TG chose a slightly modified Vigo to go to the Pole. clap2.gif

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are any UK car magazines favourable to any pickup trucks? I think I'd respect an Australian or US review over one from the UK (I'm a Brit). I remember watching a Top Gear program & they had a GM pickup truck, US style, not Thai. Big engine, loads of power. They drag raced it - awesome. Then Clarkson was critical of it being on a ladder frame!! What was he expecting from a pickup truck?

Loved that program biggrin.png

Whole new meaning to G&T on ice wink.png

Edited by MESmith

Ford ranger wildtrak 2.2 auto on a long run not in stop start traffic does 33.83 MPG without a load in the back and 32MPG loaded

In Thailand we pay gas and diesel per liter.

is Gas petrol ? or LPG ?

if the km per lt was converted to MPG is that UK gallon or USA gallon as there different, so yes is confusing

Don't care how we call it, as long as we all know we're talking about the same. And with MPG unfortunately that is not the case, plus we're in Thailand where liters and kilometers are the standard.

Ford ranger wildtrak 2.2 auto on a long run not in stop start traffic does 33.83 MPG without a load in the back and 32MPG loaded

is Gas petrol ? or LPG ?

if the km per lt was converted to MPG is that UK gallon or USA gallon as there different, so yes is confusing

Don't care how we call it, as long as we all know we're talking about the same. And with MPG unfortunately that is not the case, plus we're in Thailand where liters and kilometers are the standard.

Simple maths to work it out if knowing US or UK gallon eh. thumbsup.gif Well for me. laugh.png

Loved that program biggrin.png

Whole new meaning to G&T on ice wink.png

At least in that program he did not have any hedges, trees or churches to hit. maybe he is just unlucky in most pickups

I am still in Oz at the moment and think I will go down this weekend and try and test drive a few different utes ,from what it sounds like can be a bit difficult to do in LOS .

Will they be pretty much the same version as the Thai models ,besides some safety features and extras ?

Thinks I will drive the BT-50 ,isuzu 3.0, toyota .

I am well aware of that SL but i prefer to work out my mileage in imperial gallons as i have always done

Do you know how to do it???

• Like 2

is Gas petrol ? or LPG ?

Imperial gallon mate which was used in Australia and commonwealth countries, which is 4.55 litres per gallon not the smaller USA gallon, they even drive on the wrong side of the road there

Edited by petercallen
  • Like 1

I am well aware of that SL but i prefer to work out my mileage in imperial gallons as i have always done

I come from a kilometers and liters country and live in a kilometers and liters country. When I give information here I give that information so that it is understandable to everybody else living here. I really would not like it if I knew the somebody wanting the information would first have to determine from country I originally was, then how much a gallon is in that country and then how far a mile is in that country.

But since you also like to give prices in Thailand in Dollars, without even mentioning which dollars, I know you prefer to think a bit more self centered than I do.

So yes PC, your information was confusing.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

I haven't heard great things about the new Ranger. I was excited about it after I saw one on YouTube go through water up to the hood almost. But then a friend of mine test drove it, he was almost going to buy it, then he took it out for a drive and was really disappointed. He said it was a bad and loud ride and it isn't as quality inside as he thought so he decided not to get it.

I would check out a Vigo if the interior wasn't so crap, plastic and outdated (and came in a color other than tan). What is it with Toyota and their tan plastic interiors?

Wildtrak 2.2 auto has plenty of power and a nice leather interior, nice and quiet ride we had to wait 8 months for ours and i am glad we did

I come from a kilometers and liters country and live in a kilometers and liters country. When I give information here I give that information so that it is understandable to everybody else living here. I really would not like it if I knew the somebody wanting the information would first have to determine from country I originally was, then how much a gallon is in that country and then how far a mile is in that country.

But since you also like to give prices in Thailand in Dollars, without even mentioning which dollars, I know you prefer to think a bit more self centered than I do.

So yes PC, your information was confusing.

See you at the TV party SL thats if you are not to busy posting on different chat forums

You new what type of dollars i was posting in you were just trying to be a SA as usual

• Like 1

I got the Ranger 2.2 XLT 4dr and never went over 8.7L/100km=11.5km/L=32.5MPG(UK)=27MPG(US)...that's city driving smile.png

If you want to check yourself,here is a good converter:http://www.thecalculatorsite.com/conversions/fuelconsumption.php#.UI_HSWe_8-V

...BTW,quite a comfortable ride...and BIG !!

I just read that test and they say that it's among one of the best pick-ups to drive.

When I read the Ranger topic here in TV I only read about happy owners, so TC's opinion based on his friend opinion has to be taken with a bit of hmmmblink.png

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/ford/ranger/sports-utility-vehicle/review

They did say "disappointing cabin". Sort of the same thing he said.

But it's one of those things, you just have to drive it yourself and see.

I don't see how it would be better than the D-Max though.

Twin-turbo? I wonder why?

My Triton has a turbo. I have never used it, apart from on a handful of occasions when I have deliberately floored the accelerator on an open road to see what would happen.

I find that 2000rpm is more than enough for both pulling away and for cruising at ~100kph. In fact at 2000rpm I leave most vehicles standing at the lights. The turbo does not kick in at this level.

You must have a very old, base spec Triton then wink.png

Even the 140HP (pre VGT) 2.5L Triton 4D56 is audible from around 1400-1500 RPM, and the newer VGT models (178HP) start spooling about 300 RPM earlier than that

No, it's a brand new 2.5 GLS.

In normal use I dont feel the turbo at all (the car has more than enough power and torque at low revs) but if I deliberately get the revs well above 2000 or so I definitely feel and hear something that isnt normally there.

As mentioned, in normal use my engine never goes above 2000rpm either when pulling away or cruising.

I thought Ford Rangers don't really hold their value well.

I think I've made up my mind. Z Prestige D-Max Hi-Lander. If we ever get a truck. That's the one.

I'll get it in that White color they got too. What do they call it? The one you have to pay more for?

Anyway. You guys got nothing on that with your Rangers and Tritons. Mine looks much more Hi-So

I'm going to be styling. You guys hauling pineapples.

It rocks so hard you guys have no chance. None

pky1338194917.jpg

Talk about gaining face...

I can see the Viigo/Ranger/Triton owners frantically typing away, as their hands tremble trying to justify their purchase. Go exchange it now for a V-Cross and spare yourself further embarrassment and rust.

Edited by thaicruze

Mine looks much more Hi-So

Strange. I cant imagine why anyone would care at all what a vehicle looks like. I certainly dont. When I see someone driving what might be a considered a glamorous and expensive vehicle, the only thought that comes to my mind is "tosser".

I think I've made up my mind. Z Prestige D-Max Hi-Lander. If we ever get a truck. That's the one.

I'll get it in that White color they got too. What do they call it? The one you have to pay more for?

Anyway. You guys got nothing on that with your Rangers and Tritons. Mine looks much more Hi-So

I can see the Viigo/Ranger/Triton owners frantically typing away, as their hands tremble trying to justify their purchase. Go exchange it now for a V-Cross and spare yourself further embarrassment and rust.

My hands are trembling, (from the laughter). Glad ThaiCruze seems to have decided but if he thinks he is going to gain face buying an Isuzu pickup that is HiSo, 555 555 555 555 555. Is the HiSo D-max purchase planned before or after the new model Hilux and Tritons are released?

Jokes aside, D-max are fine, but even the shiny new pearl white ones are still pickup trucks => NOT HiSo. The old model Rangers do depreciate quicker than Dmax or Hilux but the new one may not, too early to tell. The previous model D-maxs we have at work rusted badly and quicker than the Rangers. So the residual value did not work for us.

TC, take you own advice from the X1 thread, forget the image crap and buy the truck you like.

Edited by Jitar

pky1338194917.jpg

Now TC, guess which pickup I see most around Thonglor? Ford Ranger. So much for your attempted lame justification for a hi-so image of the Isuzu. Go in the country and those hauling pinapples will be more often than not an Isuzu.;)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

As much as I like my D-Max, as I've previously posted on this thread, I didn't buy it for its looks and have never thought of it as anything but an ugly brute - it's part of its charm.

As far as the locals are concerned a pick-up, is a pick-up, is a pick-up. Any association between a pick-up and Hi-So would be purely accidental, maybe the closest association would be that if the Hi-So ordered some pineapples this is the vehicle that they would expect them to turn up in.

Not that I am casting any aspersions, my PJS doesn't put me much further up the ladder, but I am happy with that and don't make claims to be anything else.

• Like 1

I am a bit surprised by the vain attempts of TC on this "hi-so" thing. That he imagines he will look hi-so just from having a pickup beats me.

For Thais, being "hi-so" means so many other things apart from having a foreign imported car. Obviously, it never crossed TC's mind. :D

pky1338194917.jpg

Now TC, guess which pickup I see most around Thonglor? Ford Ranger. So much for your attempted lame justification for a hi-so image of the Isuzu. Go in the country and those hauling pinapples will be more often than not an Isuzu.;)

Thonglor. Only Steers and Queers come from Thonglor. I'm surprised its not that gay Mazda one.

I am a bit surprised by the vain attempts of TC on this "hi-so" thing. That he imagines he will look hi-so just from having a pickup beats me.

For Thais, being "hi-so" means so many other things apart from having a foreign imported car. Obviously, it never crossed TC's mind. :D

Another one Jealous. 1 Cruze. Leather. Blacked out like the batman car. People go in there and piss in their nickers.

Next to that I will have a massive pearly white D-Max. Leather. Navigation. Bed dividers and nets. Also a lid. It'll be sick. It'll be super HiSo and all the bitches will pee even more.

Edited by thaicruze

For Thais, being "hi-so" means so many other things apart from having a foreign imported car. Obviously, it never crossed TC's mind. biggrin.png

Another one Jealous. 1 Cruze. Leather. Blacked out like the batman car. People go in there and piss in their nickers.

Next to that I will have a massive pearly white D-Max. Leather. Navigation. Bed dividers and nets. Also a lid. It'll be sick. It'll be super HiSo and all the bitches will pee even more.

Think you need to find a girl friend. rolleyes.gif

For Thais, being "hi-so" means so many other things apart from having a foreign imported car. Obviously, it never crossed TC's mind. biggrin.png

My girlfriend pees every time she gets into my Cruze.

Good to see that TC has grown a sense of humor, even if it is a bit left-field clap2.gif

Not that I am casting any aspersions, my PJS doesn't put me much further up the ladder, but I am happy with that and don't make claims to be anything else.

Here's a really simple "How hi-so is my car?" test: Go park right at the lobby entrance of a 5-star hotel in Bangkok in the afternoon or early evening, and see how long it takes for them to kick you out (tour vans excluded!), or indeed for you to start feeling a little embarrassed by the company around you wink.png

I posit that a well presented PJS or Fortuner will get to stay there magnitudes longer than any pickup, eco car, or Jap/American B/C/D class wink.png

Edited by IMHO

My girlfriend pees every time she gets into my Cruze.

You can locate incontinence pants for her in LOS. Try finding a younger mate next time eh. coffee1.gif

Good to see that TC has grown a sense of humor, even if it is a bit left-field clap2.gif

Here's a really simple "How hi-so is my car?" test: Go park right at the lobby entrance of a 5-star hotel in Bangkok in the afternoon or early evening, and see how long it takes for them to kick you out (tour vans excluded!), or indeed for you to start feeling a little embarrassed by the company around you wink.png

I posit that a well presented PJS or Fortuner will get to stay there magnitudes longer than any pickup, eco car, or Jap/American B/C/D class wink.png

Agreed, in the pickup they will send TC straight around to the loading dock assuming he is delivering pineapples.