Runny Eggs

robbo1

Can anyone tell me that if I cook my 4 year old son 1 runny egg on toast that it is bad for him.

I cooked the family breakfast this morning when all of a sudden halfway through my son eating his runny egg my wife started saying no it is not good for young child to eat runny egg, I told that was a silly thing to say but she was adament about it.

So I am asking the question is it bad for a child or is this an old wives tale.

Robbohuh.png

The problem is salmonella. Right round the world people are now being taught that eggs have to be very well cooked to reduce the risk. Personally if the white is not runny and looks completely normal I eat it. Baby books probably tell you not to now.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/eggs-nutrition.aspx

is probably fairly accurate but mothers everywhere try to stick to the rules...You may have to go along with it especially as the science is on her side.

Edited by harrry

The problem is salmonella. Right round the world people are now being taught that eggs have to be very well cooked to reduce the risk. Personally if the white is not runny and looks completely normal I eat it. Baby books probably tell you not to now.

http://www.nhs.uk/Li...-nutrition.aspx

is probably fairly accurate but mothers everywhere try to stick to the rules...You may have to go along with it especially as the science is on her side.

Hmm, so Thais won't eat runny eggs because of health concerns.....have they also stopped eating raw fermented pork?

• Like 1

Detection of salmonellae in hen eggs in Thailand.

Saitanu K, Koowatananukul C, Jerngklinchan J, Sasipreeyajan J.

Source

Department of Veterinary Public Health, Faculty of Veterinary Science, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand.

Abstract

Two thousand four hundred and ninety eggs were collected from retail markets in 6 provinces and from laying hen farms in 3 provinces. Eggs were pooled in groups of 3 to obtain 830 samples for testing. Isolation of salmonellae was made from both egg shell and egg contents. Eggs from retail markets were contaminated with salmonellae on egg shells (13.2%) and in egg contents (3.9%). Three (0.4%) samples yield positive both on egg shells and in egg contents. Of the 86 samples from laying hen farms, salmonellae were found on egg shells and in egg contents, 3.5% and 1.2%, respectively. From the 134 strains tested, twenty-four serotypes were confirmed. Salmonella cerro, S. amsterdam and S. typhimurium were predominantly encountered, 4.8%, 4.3% and 1.4%, respectively. Only two samples were contaminated with S. enteritidis, one each from open market and laying hen farm, one on egg shells and the other in egg content respectively.

Looking at the "stuff" that's on the shells of many eggs at retail in Thailand, I like to cook mine pretty well.

Hard to keep 100% of all the shell out of a cracked egg when I'm lazy and don't like to break my eggs into an extra bowl to examine them for freshness and to pick out the chickensh*t. I crack them right into the pan and hope I cook 'em good enough to kill whatever gets into the pan with the whites and yolks..

In answer to the OP's query, if your wife says it's bad for the kid, I have found it better to agree- unless doing it her way is truly hazardous. Not about the kid, it's about peace in the family.

If your objective is to prove her wrong, go for it. If your objective is familial bliss, perhaps it's best to let the little ones slide.

weve got our own chickens, and when the wife or myself brings them to the house the wife i must say will wash them well, i must say i never did this in the uk when i also had chickens,

chicken eggs ara porouse and bacteria can get in through the shell,,

but i believe if you can get them fresh you will have little chance of this,

jake

I think its due to concern over salmonella. Members of my wifes family won't eat runny eggs.

I agree this was the thought a while back and many restaurants were told not to serve running eggs unless asked for.

I personally love my running eggs and have been eating same for 60+ yrs and am still alive (i think) to tell the tale

The risk of both salmonella and bird flu are higher with less-than thoroughly cooked poultry products.

However in this case it's likely just another cultural "truth" rather than based on that science.

Try to give cold drinks to kids with a flu, or take them swimming even on a killer hot day - you can argue science 'til you're blue in the face won't do any good if you're outnumbered by Thai family members.

In the end they'll just explain it away by saying Thai physiology is different from farang.

And with these chinese/"alternative" medicine principles becoming every more popular in the west as well, who's to say who's right - I doubt if "modern scientific" methodologies will ever be brought to bear in a way that goes against the interests of big pharma, so who are we to say who's stupid?

my wife eats them runny, but will not give them to very young children.

in my experience, if she says don't do it and you do,and the child gets sick you have a problem.

he could play in the sewer all day, roam the forest with animals, eat off the floor all evening, but if he gets sick she will blame that dam_n egg and you will never hear the end of it.

Yes regardless of the science, there is no way around the widely held beliefs. I have had people stop me from giving my kids sweets when they have had a cold. My mother in law has a fit if more than 1 rain drop lands on my head and I don't run for cover (funny how she can have bucket showers in cold season, but a few drops of water on a sunny day will make me fatally ill for sure)

And don't even try to have ice cream or a cold drink if you have a sore throat (certain death I believe).

yes, we are also told here in israel, a western modern society, not to give runny or undercooked eggs to children under kindergarten age, because here too,we have lots of types of salomonella. once immune s;ystems are better developed, and the child is anyways in a school yard setting, it is pointless. however here at our hotel we arent allowed to serve eggs sunnyside up unless the yolk is 'set'... its a ministery of health food law...

also, no washing of the shell, dust it off and use it. that is why it is soooo important to gather eggs twice a day or provide proper laying boxes that are clean, if u are going to eat the eggs. here we used to use some formaldehyde type treatment which is similar to what eggs go thru on commercial eggs for consumption type farms... nowadays there is some other chemical used, its like steamed or sprayed ont he eggs before going to retail....

commercial chickens are given an aray of antibiotics ans stuff in their food for things like coccidiosis which is also contagious to us but mostly the very young and the elderly, also found in goats, sheep etc...

the egg whites are not meant to be eaten in large quantities because the albumen in the white prevents absorbtion of other things, cant remember anymore what they are... also for puppies etc the same reasoning...

bina

israel

If you really are that concerned about these issues, do a little bit of scientific investigation into the upstream conditions of your food supply chain and you will quickly decide to become a strict vegan. Otherwise, don't ask how the sausages are made, you're much better off not knowing.

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."

-- Helen Keller

If you really are that concerned about these issues, do a little bit of scientific investigation into the upstream conditions of your food supply chain and you will quickly decide to become a strict vegan. Otherwise, don't ask how the sausages are made, you're much better off not knowing.

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."

-- Helen Keller

Old wives vs old wanke_rs.smile.png