Global Survey Ranks Bangkok Taxis Fifth Best In The World

Lite Beer

Global survey ranks Bangkok taxis fifth best in the world

By Coconuts Bangkok

Taxi_Aerial.jpeg

Photo: Coconuts Bangkok

The friendly taxis of Bangkok were ranked the fifth best in the world in a recent survey by American booking website Hotels.com.

The survey asked participants from 29 countries to rate taxis in various global cities on seven different categories: cleanliness, value, quality of driving, knowledge of the area, friendliness, safety and availability

Bangkok taxis ranked first in terms of value – no big shock there, we suppose – but we would love to see how they rated for quality of driving!

London topped the list as the best city in the world to hail a taxi followed by New York, Tokyo, Shanghai, and Bangkok.

Continues: http://www.coconutsb...t-in-the-world/

-- COCONUTS BANGKOK-- 2012-10-21

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Like 2

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were happy with the cabs in Taipei on a recent trip there. Clean, etc. Drivers polite and well dressed, with enough English. One man went through a red light and almost ran down a pedestrian, but that was an exception.

Most cabs I've caught in Bangkok are OK, but I didn't like taking them during and after the troubles of April-May 2010. Maybe that was because my wife liked arguing with them about politics. bah.gif

London was top?? My experience of calling taxis in London are of getting a west African driver in an old beat up motor driving African style across the city. Black cabs are another story but I don't think that's what people are referring to in the survey.

Bangkok Taxis are great cuz they are very cheap and plentiful. My only problem with them are the ones who stop and then refuse to take you when you tell them where you want to go.

The best places for me are Singapore and Australia. Both clean, excellent and very professional service all round but, as with everything in Australia these days, taxis are very very expensive in Australia so Singapore is my #1.

I think they're great!

That's why many people dream about Bangkok style taxi meters in ... Pattaya.

That would make a huge difference moving Pattaya forward towards the world class urban beach resort that the politic leaders give lip service to wanting.

Also:

All off the above, only erase 'attaya', write 'uket'!

• Like 1

Never taken a taxi where the driver didn't know where to go.

Then you must go from the airport to Patpong and back to the airport. Bangkok taxi drivers are to a man absolutely useless when it comes to local knowledge. Even if it's somewhere you would expect a taxi driver to know like a large company HQ or a leading university, you're delusional if you think a taxi driver is going to know the way there. This isn't surprising when some guy from Isaan can just show up with 700 baht and be a taxi driver for 12 hours. Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

• Like 2

I have had many good rides in a Taxi in Bangkok, very very cheap !

I learned to avoid the ones that linger around, and wave down an old guy or a lady, and it has never been a problem.

Sure some people don't want to use the meter, but then i just keep trying until i get one, it isn't instant.

I agree, you want a bad taxi ? Try Vancouver, waiting for 45 min and paying about 20x the price.

• Like 1

Saw a sign on a taxi a while back - "Driver Speaks English"

I thought to myself what a great idea. They should do that in Oz, UK, USA, Canada,.........................

I could be wrong but I think someone did that in the UK. It caused a few arguments and I think it was dropped although it probably made the point it was trying to get across.

We were happy with the cabs in Taipei on a recent trip there. Clean, etc. Drivers polite and well dressed, with enough English. One man went through a red light and almost ran down a pedestrian, but that was an exception.

Well that sounds fine then... Just the one red light running and almost pedestrian death!

My vote goes for Taipei too. Sounds fine to me...