Immunity For Thai Senator Who Shot Ex-Wife

webfact

Immunity for Thai senator who shot ex-wife

BANGKOK, Oct 22, 2012 (AFP) - Thailand's Senate on Monday voted to deny a request by the police to question one of its members who shot his ex-wife at the dinner table with an Uzi 9mm pistol.

Upper house lawmakers voted 94-2 to uphold Boonsong Kowawisarat's constitutional right to immunity during the parliamentary session.

"After the session ends on November 28 police can take him for questioning," Senator Somchai Sawaengkarn told AFP. "A senator should do his job during a parliamentary session."

Boonsong has said the death was an accident caused by ill health following a stroke. He said the gun went off while he was trying to remove a jammed bullet, fatally wounding Chanakarn Detkard, 46, who was also his secretary.

Police said Boonsong, who is the representative for northern Mae Hong Son province, is likely to be charged with causing death by negligence.

If convicted, he faces a maximum punishment of 10 years' imprisonment and a 20,000 baht ($670) fine.

Under the constitution, a lawmaker cannot be arrested, detained or summoned as a suspect in a criminal inquiry during a parliamentary session without permission from the house.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-10-22

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, it was merely a legislative manoeuvre when the parliamentarian requested the butter to be passed. In that he is definitely entitled to enjoy immunity.

Edited by Morakot

What a joke.

I know, it's not even a "good" lie. Pretty amazing.

As long it isn't expected, that forensics is looking 'taff' into the details, it's the best statement, he could probably do!

"He said the gun went off while he was trying to remove a jammed bullet"

And because he has time, to think on details, now, it may fit even with the bullet channel and the explanation, how he was trying, to remove the bullet:

Sitting, standing, his wife sitting standing, the distance of the weapon to the victim, the blood splatter, the angle of the bullet chanel.

I do think, that his defender will get all this details, before he has to tell his story!

Works fine, for him.

I'm a bit worried about the '2' from the 94-2 voting!

Edited by noob7
  • Like 2

Boonsong has said the death was an accident caused by ill health following a stroke. He said the gun went off while he was trying to remove a jammed bullet, fatally wounding Chanakarn Detkard, 46, who was also his secretary.

Damage Control? On the 14th of August this year the reports had

"Boonsong Kowawisarat, 56, killed Chanakarn Detkard, 46, when he mistakenly fired the 9mm Uzi as he tried to put it away after placing it on the table."

""Senator Boonsong's gun was accidentally fired off while he was trying to keep his pistol into its case. The shot went straight into his secretary who was having dinner," Police Lt. Colonel Choosak Pulsawat told CNN."

Thank god he got immunity, I was worried Thailand may decend into a democratic country that abides by the rule of law. The good news is that there is no chance of that, fugitive criminal leader thinks and the PTP government acts.

• Like 2

So what's a stroke sufferer doing with a machine pistol at the dinner table. Quite obviously the bullet became unnamed ending up in his secretary.

Anyone want to buy some flying pigs?

Not just his secretary, but ...

who shot his ex-wife at the dinner table
Edited by whybother
  • Like 1

Thank god he got immunity, I was worried Thailand may decend into a democratic country that abides by the rule of law. The good news is that there is no chance of that, fugitive criminal leader thinks and the PTP government acts.

In this case that has nothing to do with it, I think. It's just the general idea and the fear to set a precedence.

BTW to all interested, maybe first read thev old thread from the 13th of August when the 'accident' happened:

http://www.thaivisa....l-gun-accident/

She wasn't much good as a wife but a darn good secretary I am so sorry, now I have to go through the trouble of interviewing candidates to fill the now vacant post.

Anyone knows, if he has/had a new wife/ex wife?

Maybe the position for a secretary was needed?

• Like 1

Excusal for politicians from outside matters while parliament is sitting is understandable and probsbly even sensible. But in a case where a death has occured by misadventure allegedly at the hands of the member .... 'immunity'? .... honestly?

• Like 1

She wasn't much good as a wife but a darn good secretary I am so sorry, now I have to go through the trouble of interviewing candidates to fill the now vacant post.

Anyone knows, if he has/had a new wife/ex wife?

Maybe the position for a secretary was needed?

Aaah, the plot thickens! clap2.gif

• Like 1

So what's a stroke sufferer doing with a machine pistol at the dinner table. Quite obviously the bullet became unnamed ending up in his secretary.

Anyone want to buy some flying pigs?

He probably nearly had a stroke when he released he had just shot her. But then he remembered he's a HiSo and will probably after a little bit of bad press he will still get off with a slap on the hand for shooting her.

Had a stoke?

Sure he was stroking the trigger mechanism thus he got excited stroked a little harder thus causing the weapon to discharge.

All this whilst whispering sweet nothings no doubt into his ex wife's ear.

My sweet, you're getting nothing more from me after this meal,sorry.

'Pon me soul, (better than expletives) what was that bang,?

Ah well nothing more to worry about my sweet.

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

What a joke.

I know, it's not even a "good" lie. Pretty amazing.

As long it isn't expected, that forensics is looking 'taff' into the details, it's the best statement, he could probably do!

"He said the gun went off while he was trying to remove a jammed bullet"

And because he has time, to think on details, now, it may fit even with the bullet channel and the explanation, how he was trying, to remove the bullet:

Sitting, standing, his wife sitting standing, the distance of the weapon to the victim, the blood splatter, the angle of the bullet chanel.

I do think, that his defender will get all this details, before he has to tell his story!

Works fine, for him.

I'm a bit worried about the '2' from the 94-2 voting!

If the Senate has 100 members that means there must be 4 abstentions...

Wonder how long they will be able to extend the sitting of the house?

Edited by Basil B