Copy/fake Items You've Unwittingly Purchased

madmitch

Of course we all know Thailand is full of fake designer goods, DVDs, electrical items, headphones (the latest copy craze) perfume etc. etc.

Last Friday we stopped at the Khao Pho service area near Chumphon. My daughter was looking at some chocolate footballs. I said not to buy those but how about this pack of Van Houten chocolate, very cheap at 90 baht for four bars. Much better. Not past the sell-by date. Bargain.

Well, that's what I thought. Opening a bar in the car, hazelnut if I remember correctly, even the Thai passengers commented on how sweet it was. And not a nut in sight. Dreadful powdery, sweet, vaguely chocolatey flavour but almost certainly the same stuff they use for the chocolate footballs I declined to buy in the first place.

So, copy chocolate bars. That was a first for me.

Any other unexpected fake items out there?

I doubt if they were fake. There is probably another explanation. Some people get a little paranoid about scams that do not exist. .

They were crap cheap chocolate in an expensive chocolate wrapper with a sell-by date of December 2013. If that's not fake then I don't know what is.

NB I meant this thread as a bit of fun, not another moan at the scams.

Edited by madmitch

I doubt if they were fake. There is probably another explanation. Some people get a little paranoid about scams that do not exist. .

They were crap cheap chocolate in an expensive chocolate wrapper with a sell-by date of December 2013. If that's not fake then I don't know what is.

NB I meant this thread as a bit of fun, not another moan at the scams.

Probably melt everynight when the air con is turned off and then solidfy again everyday. Maybe why they were powdery.

If it was European chocolate purchased then it's going to be melted re-chilled, melted re-chilled.

Austalia has chocolate with an additive that prevents instant meltation.

Not so sure about Asia, on the whole chocolate in any hot country is going to be of inferior quality then a cooler European country.

China fakes everything not sure about chocolate though.

On another note i genuinely bought a Rolex Oyster perpetual motion for 1,000 on my first night drunk on Chang in Bangkok, I beleved the 1,000 bht note to be 1,000 pounds and watch looked real, i had to keep moving my arm every now and then for the needle to move. Which was inconvient because i looked ting tong shaking my wrist all night and clutching my chang with the other arm.The good news is that the watch droped of somewhere that night just leaving me with a hazy chang memory.

• Like 1

ive just put this on another thred,

20 bloody day old hens,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that all turned into cocks,,lol

20bht each, but done us good in the long run as we kept 4 of them and now breed all our own laying hens,

jake

I have seen the fake Van Houten chocolate bars too, along with Toblerones at Aranyaprathet market.

They also have fake Jack Daniels and fake Marlboro cigarettes at Cambodian border crossing.

makes an ideal birthday gift for someone :)

I bought what the guy insisted was a real and genuine rolex for the bargain price of 150 baht. I was shocked and distraught to later find out that I had bought a fake as my friends consoled me over a couple of beers.

ive just put this on another thred,

20 bloody day old hens,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that all turned into cocks,,lol

20bht each, but done us good in the long run as we kept 4 of them and now breed all our own laying hens,

jake

Maybe they were Ladycocks?

Easy to tell, instead of saying, cock a doo da loo, the say, any cock will do.

• Like 1

My last purchase of a copy: The late night services of one 'Ning' who claimed to be a Beauty Therapist during the daytime and was engaged in a little freelancing of an evening. I picked her up on the corner of Asoke at 2.30am.

It transpires her name was Somchai, who was actually a truck driver with a really huge penis.

• Like 1

I bought what the guy insisted was a real and genuine rolex for the bargain price of 150 baht. I was shocked and distraught to later find out that I had bought a fake as my friends consoled me over a couple of beers.

Q: is that Rolex a fake?

A: it better not be, it cost me $5

biggrin.png

Rechargeable Sony AA batteries. Turned out they weren't even batteries.The positive thing is they did not blow up or ruin my charger.

Buying suspected fake foods/beverages, ya gotta be nuts!

An old joke from grade school:

Boy1 gets a pet bunny rabbit. He takes a few of the droppings to school. Boy2 asks what they are. Boy1 tells him they're smart pills. Boy2 puts one in his mouth.

"Ugh, it tastes like crap!"

Boy1 tells him "see, you're getting smarter already!"

My last purchase of a copy: The late night services of one 'Ning' who claimed to be a Beauty Therapist during the daytime and was engaged in a little freelancing of an evening. I picked her up on the corner of Asoke at 2.30am.

It transpires her name was Somchai, who was actually a truck driver with a really huge penis.

You don't mention if this was a problem for you . . . whistling.gif

On another note i genuinely bought a Rolex Oyster perpetual motion for 1,000 on my first night drunk on Chang in Bangkok, I beleved the 1,000 bht note to be 1,000 pounds and watch looked real, i had to keep moving my arm every now and then for the needle to move. Which was inconvient because i looked ting tong shaking my wrist all night and clutching my chang with the other arm.The good news is that the watch droped of somewhere that night just leaving me with a hazy chang memory.

Next time,

hang, or glue that "Rolex" on a "bumpy" running fan over night, should work than for some hours in the day.tongue.png

• Like 1

I have seen the fake Van Houten chocolate bars too, along with Toblerones at Aranyaprathet market.

They also have fake Jack Daniels and fake Marlboro cigarettes at Cambodian border crossing.

makes an ideal birthday gift for someone smile.png

.....you not really "Like".tongue.png

150 Baht? A -Chocolate- Rolex?rolleyes.gif

There was this Thai girl once, From the outside she looked like she had big Coconuts but when everything came off there was very very small coconuts inside

There was this Thai girl once, From the outside she looked like she had big Coconuts but when everything came off there was very very small coconuts inside

----------------

Well, at least you got coconuts and not a sausage.