Taking A Myanmar Girl To Europe

o explain my situation: I am going to marry a Myanmar girl next year. Obviously the options for us to live together are either to move to Europe (Germany) or to live together in Myanmar. My fiancee is 23 years old while I am 22 years old. She will have finished a Masters degree in Myanmar (Computer Science), which I assume, is useless in Germany? She has also quite a strong family bond and strong morals and opinions as she is deeply religious (Christian). She is very ambitious and intelligent also.

Does anybody have experiences how Myanmar people, or maybe SE Asians in general adapt to life in a western country? I have found some reports on this topic but most of these reports dont have much in common with my personal situation. Dont want to be offensive but most of these reports seem to be about either bargirls or about older woman who are obviously in a very different situation then my girlfriend.

I am also living in a part of Germany that has very little to no immigrants. There are quite a few racists and other right-wing scumbags around though. I am worried that she is not going to be able to deal with all the prejudices that mixed race couples have to deal with. Thanks to TV most people in Germany think that a South-East Asian woman is either a mail-order bride or a hooker. Might be easier for us because we are both young but I doubt it somehow.

I know of the obvious difficulties like the weather, food, homesickness but I´m also worried about how she is going to be able to relate to anyone over here. Her behaviour and moral values are totally different to the ones you find in girls of similiar age here. Also my family is pretty much as dysfunctional as it gets, other then me and my mother there is nobody who could take care of her when problems arise.

Anyways, I would be thankful for every answer. I´d also appreciate links to reports of people who have experienced similiar things.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you are planning to take your fiancée, respectively future wife, to Germany don't forget that the threshold for a visa and Aufenthaltserlaubnis is "German language skills Goethe Institut level One". it would therefore be advisable that the young lady starts already now learning German which, in her case, makes it mandatory to study "latin" letters. if she studied and speaks/read English it won't be a big problem to master the test.

• Like 1

if you are planning to take your fiancée, respectively future wife, to Germany don't forget that the threshold for a visa and Aufenthaltserlaubnis is "German language skills Goethe Institut level One". it would therefore be advisable that the young lady starts already now learning German which, in her case, makes it mandatory to study "latin" letters. if she studied and speaks/read English it won't be a big problem to master the test.

Thanks for your answer.

I know about the German language certificate/test that is needed. She is a ethnic Kachin. Kachin language uses latin letters, so she has always been familiar with them, even before she started to learn English in school.

I have started to teach her German language. I think that wont be too much of an issue. Her English is quite good too.

Edited by mingalaba

If you fear that she may not be accepted, or have problems, in your home region of Germany, could you consider moving to a more cosmopolitan area: Berlin or a similar big city? You would retain all the benefits of living in your home country and give her more scope to settle. Just a thought.

We would have to be able to combine a possible job offer for me with her attending a university to get a degree. Difficult enough ...

I think that living in a city like Berlin might make it even worse. My friends and what is left of my family would be far away. The little bit of social security gone and beeing all alone in a huge cold city doesnt sound like a good way to integrate in a country. Living in Berlin might help with the racism but it has too many drawbacks in my opinion.

Edited by mingalaba

Thanks to TV most people in Germany think that a South-East Asian woman is either a mail-order bride or a hooker. Might be easier for us because we are both young but I doubt it somehow.

I know of the obvious difficulties like the weather, food, homesickness but I´m also worried about how she is going to be able to relate to anyone over here.

these are the problems which no doubt you have to face. the bottom line is both of you might have to grind your teeth for a certain period of time till, hopefully, the problems fizzle out.

Obviously the options for us to live together are either to move to Europe (Germany) or to live together in Myanmar.

no wet dreams please such as "living together in Myanmar"! you will have more problems to adjust in Myanmar than your Kachin girl in Germany not to talk about your financial situation and living conditions in Myanmar. you asked for it, you got it. be a man!

Maybe look also in German Forums, I send you PM with LINKS, as these are not allowed here.

I had 3 different Thai GF and one Cambodian GF with me in Austria, on 9 different trips,

never any problem, in small provincial town,but only Schengen Visa-Max 3 Month, a trip, no marriage. thumbsup.gif

Maybe look also in German Forums, I send you PM with LINKS, as these are not allowed here.

I had 3 different Thai GF and one Cambodian GF with me in Austria, on 9 different trips,

never any problem, in small provincial town,but only Schengen Visa-Max 3 Month, a trip, no marriage. thumbsup.gif

You have a problem with the ladies ?. coffee1.gif

Why? Over a period of 11 years, no big deal.

Have 3 children with two of the Thai women who visited with me Europe

and I am more or less with three of the 4 who visited me still in contact even relationships.

Living with one permanently, most of the year.

Next week, good possibility that I sleep,have Sex with all three in a weeks time period.

As one has bigger problems in her new 3 or 4? year relationship with a younger Thai man and went back to her families village with our son where I still have our (her) house in a renting contract and visit my son.

No, I do not think I have problems with women, they maybe with my polygamy? rolleyes.gif

You should ask the thousands of guys who change their Sex partners nearly every night in SEA, not me.wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO
  • Like 1

and I am more or less with three of the 4 who visited me still in contact even relationships.

Next week, good possibility that I sleep,have Sex with all three in a weeks time period.

As one has bigger problems in her new 3 or 4? year relationship with a younger Thai man and went back to her families village with our son where I still have our (her) house in a renting contract and visit my son.

No, I do not think I have problems with women, they maybe with my polygamy? rolleyes.gif

You should ask the thousands of guys who change their Sex partners nearly every night in SEA, not me.wink.png

Yep, you have a problem. Your kids will understand that when they are older. sad.png
  • Like 1

Yep, you have a problem. Your kids will understand that when they are older. sad.png

Yes I am afraid so too.

So Alfredo, we can rest assured that all your kids goes to a private school and all get a proper education which you will off course pay for, right?

We would have to be able to combine a possible job offer for me with her attending a university to get a degree.

Top 25 European universities for Asian students

http://asiancorrespo...asian-students/

Four in Germany

Good luck to the two of you! smile.png

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

i tought it was impossible to marry a myanmar girl, for abvious reasons...

any asean girl will be truely unhappy if not in her HOME COUNTRY

you add the local rascists + hooker/bargirl looks you will get till the end of your .... (life / marriage)

good luck

• Like 2

I dont think your situation is comaparable to mine. I am not talking about doing a vacation in Europe but coming here for the long term.

Dont think your girlfriend(s) and my girlfriend have anything in common either.

Thanks anyways

You asked about possible social problems in Germany, I answered, I did not have any in Austria.

Nothing more.

PS-

Regarding "Dont think your girlfriend(s) and my girlfriend have anything in common either."

Anything, nothing in common? Really? Why, you have a Ladyboy as GF? wink.png

Be happy with your, -Mine is different!- tongue.png

Edited by ALFREDO

I did not order the women to get them. You should know how many women, not only in SEA are thinking.

Catch a friendly guy with whatever you can, even with a child. I, did not run away, same all the other Thai man are used to do it!

To make your day complete, I have 2 more boys in Austria with an Austrian woman. Pay everywhere.

Now get bashed from you. Thanks, funny ugly -US-car.tongue.png

Edited by ALFREDO

So Alfredo, we can rest assured that all your kids goes to a private school and all get a proper education which you will off course pay for, right?

Do you also show interest in any Thai child you see or hear about, or only about Falang-Thai mixed children?

I was from 1980 - 1985 a tuned Moto Guzzi Les Mans 1000 driver to. So have Italien "roots" but,

I am not "More Papal as the Pope" same you.tongue.png

Yes,

Thailand Private schools, small one 5 y. at home with me,

Mother prefers to gamble in the village (High Low, dice-game) the whole day, 24/7 when she not sleeps, (Looses money to!)

instead of house keeping or/and cooking.

Maybe you should bash her! And not me if I get angry and bored and walk to friendlier places.

Austria 1 in University, I pay everywhere started already, 22 years ago, counting. Satisfied, I hope and you sleep better now.beatdeadhorse.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

"I am going to marry a Myanmar girl next year".

What are the requirements for a legal marriage to a Myanmar girl?

1. Burmese law allows Myanmar citizens to get married to a foreigner. In the past, it used to be easy to get it done. Just head to a local judge and he will marry you. However, since about 10 years ago, local judges refused to do it on the ground that it is difficult to distinguish between real marriage and the human trafficking. Today, no judge or local court would marry a Burmese and a foreigner.
  2. Even after you get married, your marriage certificate (actually a marriage contract in Burma) is in Burmese language. It has to be translated into English. You can get a certified notary translation of your marriage certificate into English but the Foreign Office will refuse to certify that notary. You can still use it if your embassy accepts the notary without a certification by the Foreign Office, but some embassies would not.
  3. The best way to get your marriage done is to do it in a foreign country. You can do it either in Thailand or in Singapore. If you are doing it is Thailand, you will need an affidavit of freedom to get married.

More here - Myanmartoday

-----------------------------------------------

Marriages were previously allowed between Burmese women and male foreigners provided that the divisional courts in Burma were informed within 21 days of advance notice. However, in May 2010, the government of Burma disallowed conducting of marriage ceremonies between Burmese women and male foreigners. One of the suggested reasons was to avoid human trafficking. Burmese women become victims of human traffickers and traded for the sex industry in Pakistan and Thailand.

Wiki

Another article explaining it in Irwaddy

Bottom line, not an issue getting married outside of Myanmar.

What does that have to do with my opening post? If you want to know then use Google please.

Also, I really dont know what your question means. The requirements for a marriage are not related to a nationality but to the country in which you want to marry.

If you marry in Singapore you will only need a passport. If you marry in Germany you need a whole lot of documents which are probably very hard to get. So what is the point of the question?

Do you want to know how somebody can get married in Myanmar?

In this case the answer to your question would be that marrying in Myanmar is easy if you are ok with only getting a religious certificate (which is accepted by the German embassy) and more difficult if you want to get a legal marriage certificate from the government authorities because it is, at least theoretically, forbidden for a Myanmar woman to marry a foreigner. Plenty of people have done it regardless. You might have to pay a bribe or go to a different city to avoid local stubborn officials.

1. Burmese law allows Myanmar citizens to get married to a foreigner. In the past, it used to be easy to get it done. Just head to a local judge and he will marry you. However, since about 10 years ago, local judges refused to do it on the ground that it is difficult to distinguish between real marriage and the human trafficking. Today, no judge or local court would marry a Burmese and a foreigner.
  2. Even after you get married, your marriage certificate (actually a marriage contract in Burma) is in Burmese language. It has to be translated into English. You can get a certified notary translation of your marriage certificate into English but the Foreign Office will refuse to certify that notary. You can still use it if your embassy accepts the notary without a certification by the Foreign Office, but some embassies would not.
  3. The best way to get your marriage done is to do it in a foreign country. You can do it either in Thailand or in Singapore. If you are doing it is Thailand, you will need an affidavit of freedom to get married.

More here - Myanmartoday

This is garbage.

Edited by mingalaba

More here - Myanmartoday

This is garbage.

Those are both from Myanmar media publications and the same info can be found across the Internet. It is also something I have been aware of for a long time.

Those are both from Myanmar media publications and the same info can be found across the Internet. It is also something I have been aware of for a long time.

That still doesnt make it right.

Sure in theory it is forbidden to marry but the reality is very different. I personally know of foreigners who have done it so it must be possible. Not easy but money and time will get it done eventually.

But why bother with that if you can just get a religious certificate?

Check the website of the German embassy in Yangon. They accept Christian marriage certificates.

http://www.rangun.di...ug_Download.pdf

"Evidence of existing marriage depending on personal circumstances, i. e. in form of an Affidavit

of Marriage established at the beginning of the marriage (for Bamar Buddhists), a

Christian marriage certificate (for Christians) or a Nikah Namah (for Muslims)."

To be honest, not even the local Myanmar people that I know get a marriage certificate from the government. They are mostly Christian as I live in a mainly Christian area of Myanmar so that might have something to do with it but anyways. All they do is a Christian marriage including certificate from the local church.

Edited by mingalaba

That still doesnt make it right.

Sure in theory it is forbidden to marry but the reality is very different. I personally know of foreigners who have done it so it must be possible. Not easy but money and time will get it done eventually.

It wasn't my intention to rain on your parade, just to inform you of potential complications which it appear you are aware of and have solutions. I also agree about it not being right and hopefully with the new openness they will withdraw the restriction. Would be good to hear of your experience to let others know the current situation.

• Like 1

Amongst native English speakers, the words 'garbage' and 'rubbish' carry strong negative overtones - verging on insulting or provocative in most circumstances.

Maybe a too literal translation from German without realising the nuances? smile.png

• Like 1

the OP is a German and has the advantage that German law recognises all marriages which are legal in the country where the marriage ceremony is conducted. if he could manage to take his Kachin girl to India any religious ceremony Hindu, Muslim, Christian or Sikh will do. the only paperwork required are the IDs of the couple and verbal assurances that either party is free to marry according to their home country's law.

next step is to take a hand written piece of paper from the Pundit-Ji, Imam, Mullah, Bhai or Priest to the next German diplomatic mission in India, have the marriage for a small fee registered and get a receipt "marriage registered in ledger 2012, # 723, fees paid € 12.50".

sorry, only now i realised that the OP is aware of specific German laws. however, the Myanmar version will be most probably rejected by the embassy in case Myanmar law does not recognise a religious marriage.

"Evidence of existing marriage depending on personal circumstances, i. e. in form of an Affidavit of Marriage established at the beginning of the marriage (for Bamar Buddhists), a

Christian marriage certificate (for Christians) or a Nikah Namah (for Muslims)."

the interpretation and limitations of the German embassy in Yangon are not in line with German law. the marriage of a Christian and a Muslim married by a Hindu priest in India will be registered by a German consulate or the Embassy in India and recognised.

Edited by Naam