Showering, Thailand - Safety?

mrxten

Hi,

I have a question regarding the safety of showering in Thailand.

Is there realy any way to prevent such disaster to occur?

Ive bought myself a pen that indicates if theres an active power in any item i use it on.

Where never realy scared nor thought of this before ive read about some couples in my country that got killed.

Regards,

John

Edit; Oh and one more thing i would like to add. Do i only need to turn the shower box OFF in order to be safe? Or do i need to cut the hole power?

Edited by mrxten

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suggest you return home immediately as this place is far too dangerous for you to stay. if the showers do not kill you then the totally unhygienic food that you eat will kill you for sure. Your trusty pen won't save you from that now will it. then there are the totally insane drivers that fill every road in thailand making leaving your home and going anywhere impossible !

no best leave now while you still can ! blink.png

Lighten up my friend. been here nearly ten years taking 3-4 showers a day all over thailand and still here

Or learn to like the Issan shower ! thumbsup.gif

I suggest you return home immediately as this place is far too dangerous for you to stay. if the showers do not kill you then the totally unhygienic food that you eat will kill you for sure. Your trusty pen won't save you from that now will it. then there are the totally insane drivers that fill every road in thailand making leaving your home and going anywhere impossible !

Lighten up my friend. been here nearly ten years taking 3-4 showers a day all over thailand and still here

Nice, well considered and helpful post.

I too have been showering in TH without a problem. However the lack of earthing is a problem and irresponsible, a friend had an electrical problem and the electrician found the the solution quickly: three wires. Too many wires, only need two. They mostly don't seem to know what they are doing, check which lead is live by touching it, many horror stories out there.

Get a circuit breaker installed (google safe-t-cut) and test it from time to time.

What's unhelpful ? The first post he makes and he is scared to take a shower because he has heard tales of electrocution. How many people do you personally know who have died through taking a shower here ?

I solved the problem by installing multi point water heaters.

Some people in life simply see problems whilst others see solutions !

The shower in our house in Thailand has zapped both my mother and father (seperate incidences). It's was not earthed correctly. Yes i'm scared about putting my kids in that shower. And yes, there a lot of other things that make me scared of taking my kids to Thailand.

Edited by damo

OP,are you talking about showers in hotels?

If not then go to the website coolthaihouse.com

You will find all you need.

Ps, if your worried about hotel showers, you will be fine.

Just dont drink the water ok. Bad poo poo then.

Edited by krisb

Thank you guys, for the replys.

This aint the first time i visit Thailand. Been there a few times before.

Thats true. Never heard of a friend having troubles with the showers in Thailand.

I know the traffic is horrible. But the thought of beeing electrocuted freaks me out.

How many people do you personally know who have died through taking a shower here ?

I for one know. Next door neighbor last year. Quite a few reports over the years showing it happens so don't just toss it aside as nonsense.

Yes m8. Showers in hotell all around Thailand.

In that case, will depend on the hotel. Most I've stayed at have a central water heating system rather then on-demand and as such not an issue. You can look at the heater and should see a ELB or similar button that verifies it has some ground fault protection. If you press it and it trips then fairly secure. The ones with metal shower hoses concerns me the most.

Btw. How does this realy work?

You turn the shower on/off, thats the moment you could get killed? Otherwise your good to go?

If the case is so, then i could just use my top fingers and carefully turn on/off the shower? And if theres electricity circling around, i will get knocked back?

Can you die from electric water btw?

Thanks for the replys so far. I know this looks silly, but if theres one thing that realy freaks me out its electricity. We all have our fears.

Yes m8. Showers in hotell all around Thailand.

In that case, will depend on the hotel. Most I've stayed at have a central water heating system rather then on-demand and as such not an issue. You can look at the heater and should see a ELB or similar button that verifies it has some ground fault protection. If you press it and it trips then fairly secure. The ones with metal shower hoses concerns me the most.

Oh ok, thanks m8.

I will check when i arrive if theres a test button of some kind.

Could you link me the diffrence between metal shower hoses and does without? Picture?

If it's not too much of an effort.

Cheers m8.

Btw. How does this realy work?

You turn the shower on/off, thats the moment you could get killed? Otherwise your good to go?

If the case is so, then i could just use my top fingers and carefully turn on/off the shower? And if theres electricity circling around, i will get knocked back?

Can you die from electric water btw?

Thanks for the replys so far. I know this looks silly, but if theres one thing that realy freaks me out its electricity. We all have our fears.

They get electrocuted by touching two different conductive surfaces at the same time.

Usually a live shower casing with one hand, and a metal pipe with the other.

Keep one hand in the air (and your feet on the tiles) and you can't get a serious shock.

I have been around this part of the world for more than 25 years. In my own house I know that the shower units are properly earthed as well as having ELSB's connected. Because of my work I now live in rented property somewhere around Pattaya and I simply do not trust the shower units or the lights in the swimming pool. For showering I use the regular tap water, no hot water, and for the swimming pool I have the pool lights disconnected not only at lighting the point but also at the switch.

Edited by mallyrd

The shower in our house in Thailand has zapped both my mother and father (seperate incidences). It's was not earthed correctly. Yes i'm scared about putting my kids in that shower. And yes, there a lot of other things that make me scared of taking my kids to Thailand.

You think it might be a good idea to get it fixed knowing there is a problem?

Why not use the splash shower with the hot water applied to the bucket by the shower head? I've been zapped so much here already, I do what I can to make sure I don't die here, lol.

I also noticed an electrical socket located 30cm down and about 30cm to the right of the shower unit.

I got a new shower last week - firstly, make sure it is grounded/earthed.

Then make sure you have a circuit breaker.

Also, make sure there is a ELCB safety.

In my bathroom, I have non of the items you mentioned. unsure.png

Good glory in heaven above!

I got a new shower last week - firstly, make sure it is grounded/earthed.

Then make sure you have a circuit breaker.

Also, make sure there is a ELCB safety.

In my bathroom, I have non of the items you mentioned. unsure.png

Don't worry Semper, the circuit breaker and ELCB unit are usually in the consumer unit (fuse box)

which shouldn't be in the bathroom.

The earth cable should run from the shower unit to the ELCB or consumer unit.

• Like 1

I lived in a rented townhouse in Hua Hin for years. The upstairs bathroom had one of those electric wallmounted showers in the shower that looked like it was from the 1950's. I was deathly afraid of it. In my experience, having been a home builder and quite knowledgable about electricity. Electricity and water don't mix! There was only a few weeks a year (Dec/Jan)you really needed to use it as the tap water was lukewarm the rest of the year. THis one actually had the on/off breaker in the shower above on the wall. I would turn it on and let it get real hot , then turn it off and get in the shower. As anyone who has spent considerable time in Thailand can tell you most of the older buildings re not grounded/earthed. and many people are routiely shocked or electrocuted by these things.

LL

What's unhelpful ? The first post he makes and he is scared to take a shower because he has heard tales of electrocution. How many people do you personally know who have died through taking a shower here ?

I solved the problem by installing multi point water heaters.

Some people in life simply see problems whilst others see solutions !

a guy in our village died in the shower , but he was showering with the MAID so his wife shot him .....biggrin.png

• Like 2

indeed cold showers can be very refreshing after a hot day,lol